Longshot enquiry - 'Red Deer Brand' wooden floor

Alasdair Bovaird

Oct 6, 2002, 3:46:40 PM10/6/02

I have my doubts whether this will work, but thought it worth a shot ...

I am looking to restore a wooden floor in my dining room which has long been
covered by wall to wall carpet.

The house was built in 1941-2, by the UK Admiralty and the flooring I think
dates from that time: it is made of 2.25" tongue and groove flooring which
on lifting reveals a stamped branding along the undersides: "Red Deer
Brand - Made in Canada". Given that the house is in Scotland I guess only
the Admiralty would have been sourcing wood floors from Canada in 1941 - or
of course the floor may have been installed at a later date, but then why
import flooring when the whole surrounding countryside is stocked with
forest?

Anyway, my question is: I need to repair and replace some of the less
sightly access holes etc that have been cut in the floor over the years -
can anyone offer me any advice on what kind of wood it is likely to be (is
the Red Deer brand well known in Canada? Does it derive from Red Deer
Alberta?) - or how best to go about seeking a source for matching the wood
to effect my repair/replaceement.

As I said, a longshot I think - but any assistance gratefully received.

Cheers,

Alasdair Bovaird

(Remove XNOXSPAMX for genuine e-mail reply)

Douglas Miller

Oct 6, 2002, 4:16:53 PM10/6/02
Most manufacturers will produce flooring of several different species, I
think. If we can see what it looks like, that would go a long way toward an
identification. Can you post a close-up photo of the existing flooring, either
on a personal web page or to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking ?

--
alphageek/at/milmac/dot/com
Stop Partial-birth Abortion NOW!

Roger Cyre

Oct 7, 2002, 12:13:39 AM10/7/02
Have you tried contacting the Red Deer site, perhaps the local chamber
of commerce. Not a lot of forest around there, popular, birch, fir,
spruce, and pine. Those would be my guesses. I'm about 2 hr's north of RD.

Peter Shull

Oct 7, 2002, 12:55:12 AM10/7/02
Not that it is going to help, but there is a "Red Deer wood flooring"
available from an outfit in Hong Kong:
www.buildingmaterialsdir.com/tf/tf0001.htm

Clint

Oct 7, 2002, 10:21:11 AM10/7/02
And here I sit in Red Deer, Alberta, reading this message. What a small
world! :)

I'm not sure if I can help you with what kind of wood it is. Nowadays, of
course, we have all kinds of hardwood available. Back in 1940, however, I
would assume they'd have to use commonly available wood for things like
that. So no rosewood, at least not from here. :)

If there's something you need looked up locally, let me know. Probably a
trip to the library would turn up something, if there's anything available.
Don't make it down there every day, but once every few weeks, anyways.

Clint

"Alasdair Bovaird" <alasdair...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

matttu...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2014, 8:05:26 AM11/13/14
Hi Alasdair,

I know this was posted back in 2002, another long shot. But I have some of this wood, Beverley UK. It was taken up from an old squash court. I was doing research to find out what type of wood it is? Did you ever find out and are you still looking for any replacement pieces?

I might be able to help you if you are.

Best regards,

Matt

matttu...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2014, 8:13:57 AM11/13/14

Sonny

Nov 13, 2014, 1:02:00 PM11/13/14
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:05:26 AM UTC-6, matttu...@gmail.com wrote:

> I know this was posted back in 2002, another long shot. ....

Yeah, that red deer might be turning gray, by now.

Sonny

neil....@gmail.com

May 14, 2015, 8:01:49 AM5/14/15
On Sunday, 6 October 2002 20:47:03 UTC+1, Alasdair Bovaird wrote:
I know this is a very very old post, but for the benefit of anyone else searching: I have a similar board, am also in Scotland, and identified it as being made by Muskoka Floring. http://www.muskokaflooring.com/en/

cl...@snyder.on.ca

May 14, 2015, 11:55:56 AM5/14/15
What wood is it? Red oak? Pine? Maple?

n_cra...@rocketmail.com

Aug 23, 2015, 7:42:56 AM8/23/15
Hi Matt
Another longshot but I've just taken up the carpet to find this flooring which would look great if re-sanded and sealed. Trouble is there is a big gap where a wall once stood. Have you still got any available? If so, I may be interested. I'm down in Surrey.
Neil

kjko...@bell.net

May 8, 2016, 4:04:18 PM5/8/16
from London Ont Canada - just tore up some flooring in an attic that had a label on it 'Red Deer Brand' Muskoka Flooring Manufacturer Huntsville ON' perhaps this is the same? seems the same dimensions.....at any rate it is very old. believe the house to be a century home or very close to it......

John McCoy

May 8, 2016, 5:07:16 PM5/8/16
kjko...@bell.net wrote in

> On Sunday, October 6, 2002 at 3:46:40 PM UTC-4, Alasdair Bovaird
> wrote:
<a question>

> from London Ont Canada

Where, one might presume, calendars don't have the year on
them, leading one to answer a question asked 12 years ago.

John

Scott Lurndal

May 9, 2016, 1:08:14 PM5/9/16
kjko...@bell.net writes:
>On Sunday, October 6, 2002 at 3:46:40 PM UTC-4, Alasdair Bovaird wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I have my doubts whether this will work, but thought it worth a shot ...
>>=20
>> I am looking to restore a wooden floor in my dining room which has long b=
>een
>> covered by wall to wall carpet.
>>=20
>> The house was built in 1941-2, by the UK Admiralty and the flooring I thi=
>nk
>> dates from that time: it is made of 2.25" tongue and groove flooring whic=
>> on lifting reveals a stamped branding along the undersides: "Red Deer
>> Brand - Made in Canada". Given that the house is in Scotland I guess only
>> the Admiralty would have been sourcing wood floors from Canada in 1941 - =
>or
>> of course the floor may have been installed at a later date, but then why
>> import flooring when the whole surrounding countryside is stocked with
>> forest?
>>=20
>> Anyway, my question is: I need to repair and replace some of the less
>> sightly access holes etc that have been cut in the floor over the years -
>> can anyone offer me any advice on what kind of wood it is likely to be (i=
>> the Red Deer brand well known in Canada? Does it derive from Red Deer
>> Alberta?) - or how best to go about seeking a source for matching the woo=
>> to effect my repair/replaceement.
>>=20
>> As I said, a longshot I think - but any assistance gratefully received.
>>=20
>> Cheers,
>>=20
>> Alasdair Bovaird
>>=20
>> (Remove XNOXSPAMX for genuine e-mail reply)
>
>from London Ont Canada - just tore up some flooring in an attic that had a =
>label on it 'Red Deer Brand' Muskoka Flooring Manufacturer Huntsville ON' =
> perhaps this is the same? seems the same dimensions.....at any rate it is =
>very old. believe the house to be a century home or very close to it......

The post you responded to was almost from the last century...

duo...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2016, 7:58:18 PM7/25/16
do you happen to still have the red deer flooring? Im in sudbury and need to repair a patch of flooring. My hose was built in 1949 with this stuff, and I believe it is Birch.

Thank you,

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jul 25, 2016, 8:40:31 PM7/25/16
Sorry - we just sold the last piece - to that neighbour of
yours - you know the one. the guy with the truck.
I think his name was Gary ..
or maybe Doug something or 'nuther.
:-)

duo...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 11:52:21 AM7/26/16
dang. is he gonna resell or use himself, i wnder?

duo...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 11:56:12 AM7/26/16
also, were tey about 1 3/4 wide? and fairly certain the wood was birch at that time as I saw an advert from 1925 and it said red deer brand birch wood. anyhoot, thats for the post - I am looking for others who lifted old floor from an old house!

John McCoy

Jul 26, 2016, 10:32:45 PM7/26/16
duo...@gmail.com wrote in news:290f0d72-c19d-4787-8624-
e8b123...@googlegroups.com:
LOL. I think hubops is pulling your leg.

You might try emailing kjkoegler, I don't recognize that
name as a regular in this group and he may not see your
enquiry here.

John

duo...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2016, 3:11:57 PM8/9/16
Do u still have the red dear brand wood?

Cheers
Matt

clark...@googlemail.com

Aug 19, 2017, 3:23:31 PM8/19/17
Does anyone have any of this muskoka red deer flooring. I also live in Scotland Uk and need two square meter to repair an existing floor.would appreciate any advice

Unquestionably Confused

Aug 19, 2017, 5:50:26 PM8/19/17
On 8/19/2017 2:23 PM, clark...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any of this muskoka red deer flooring. I also live in Scotland Uk and need two square meter to repair an existing floor.would appreciate any advice

Suggest that you do a Google search using the following

muskoka "red deer" flooring Only use the quotes on red deer.

Muskoka is now known as Vintage but your real problem is that "Red Deer"
appears to be a brand rather than a color/style. You're going to need a
lot more information if you hope to match it up.

FWIW, some poster was ripping up some flooring in an attic last year and
came across some Muskoka Red Deer flooring. May be worth the time to do
a proper search

kerrirose...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2017, 2:11:08 PM10/12/17
Its maple! I have a bunch spare :) kerrirose...@gmail.com

chrisst...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 8, 2018, 10:58:34 AM1/8/18
HI. I’m looking for some of the exact same flooring as above. My property is in Northumberland, house built in circa 1915-1920. I have emailed the company mentioned above. My whole downstairs flooring is from this timber, I require a patch job being done after some bi fold doors have been fitted. Thanks in advance.

chrisst...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 8, 2018, 10:59:38 AM1/8/18
Did you locate any flooring? I’m trying to find some too. Thanks

Henry Webb

Sep 14, 2020, 6:22:17 AM9/14/20
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 3:59:38 PM UTC, chrisst...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Did you locate any flooring? I’m trying to find some too. Thanks
I have just lifted a Muskoka Red Deer floor, maple I think, about 30 years old. A very sad decision, but I wanted to cure a damp problem below. Each board is about 2 m long, 58 mm wide and 21 mm thick. There are a lot of nails in them and the boards are not all intact, but there are lots of them, approx 50 m2. Anyone interested?

Henry Webb
Aberdeen

Laurent M

Aug 15, 2022, 11:45:07 AM8/15/22
Hi Henry, long shot.... but I am looking for some muskoka red deer maple planks... just want to replace/repair an existing one before a sanding and oiling, if anyone has it would be fab

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/re-longshot-enquiry-red-deer-brand-wooden-floor-797401-.htm

Stephane Barichello

Mar 20, 2023, 6:12:42 PM3/20/23
Hello,

I am doing some reno in Toronto in our condo (built in 88) and found this exact flooring below it. We have 100 sqft of it (90 completely reusable with the grooves intact) and the rest has a bit of damage because I couldn't take it out without breaking a few tongues and/or grooves).

I know I'm 9 months late but still need it?

Anand

Sep 25, 2023, 6:15:09 PM9/25/23
Hi Matt.

If available, I’d be interested in this flooring, I need some replacement Panels for my floor.

Anand