paint vs wood preservative

Electric Comet

Sep 19, 2016, 3:47:33 PM9/19/16

trying to decide whether just to use paint on sub flooring and bottom
of threshold or apply a wood preservative

paint is less toxic but does a decent job of protecting the wood

paint is not bug friendly but preservative is more so

preservative is nasty to apply just for the smell and it lingers
for some time

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Sep 19, 2016, 4:27:26 PM9/19/16
To me - paint implies re-paint. at some point in time.
.. to preserve.

preservative implies replace when rotted
... at some further point in time.

Do you wish to re-apply to a sub-floor or thresh-hold ?

John T.

Electric Comet

Sep 19, 2016, 6:51:21 PM9/19/16
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 16:28:41 -0400
hub...@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

> To me - paint implies re-paint. at some point in time.
> .. to preserve.
>
> preservative implies replace when rotted
> ... at some further point in time.

somewhat true nevertheless i have seen painted areas that were not
exposed to traffic or elements remain near original for a long time

the preservative will prevent rot as well

at least it is supposed to

Martin Eastburn

Sep 19, 2016, 10:04:53 PM9/19/16
I'd talk to a paint man.

I'd use a sealer with fungus control in it. e.g. like bathroom paint.
Sealer is a stronger (I think) than preservative.

Martin

Electric Comet

Sep 22, 2016, 7:27:29 PM9/22/16
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 21:04:48 -0500
Martin Eastburn <lion...@consolidated.net> wrote:

> I'd use a sealer with fungus control in it. e.g. like bathroom paint.
> Sealer is a stronger (I think) than preservative.

got some preservative called copper green or something like that
nasty smelling and stains the wood a dark brown

Martin Eastburn

Sep 22, 2016, 9:43:52 PM9/22/16
Copper Green will ward off termites and wood eating buggers. Copper is
dangerous for them.

It doesn't do much for the wood; it is nasty to apply under a house in
crawl spaces and do the whole under of a house! Been there and did that
a number of times over 17+ years living on a mountain side.

Kills sealer might be better.

Martin

Electric Comet

Sep 23, 2016, 12:12:19 PM9/23/16
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 20:43:43 -0500
Martin Eastburn <lion...@consolidated.net> wrote:

> It doesn't do much for the wood; it is nasty to apply under a house
> in crawl spaces and do the whole under of a house! Been there and did
> that a number of times over 17+ years living on a mountain side.

supposed to also prevent fungus and mold and other common wood ailments

> Kills sealer might be better.

will have to look at that one

Martin Eastburn

Sep 23, 2016, 8:43:29 PM9/23/16
Right - been 10 years since I pained two cans on the house.

Copper is tough on fish and bugs, lizards.... as well.

My house sat on top of a massive root ball of a half dozen 100-150'
Coastal Redwoods. Stuff sprouted under the house from time to time.

I had two large rings of them and stumps the size of a small truck
and these were burnt so the outside didn't grow on top of the trunk.

Once and only once in 17+ years were toad stools that were 18" in
diameter and about that tall. Normally they are in the forest and are
eaten before they got big. I took a picture to a professor at the local
college and he noticed what they were and told me to leave them alone.
They come up bloom and die off. Something like locust - every so many
years.

Martin