Rot in window sill

MOP CAP

Oct 20, 2016, 4:44:35 PM10/20/16
I have a redwood window sill that has a current 1/2" x 3" x3/4" deep
spot of rot. It has been treated 2 or 3 times over twenty years and
filled. It continues to rot around the fill. In addition to the wood
stabalizer should some type of rot inhibitor be used? If so what is
recomended.
Thanks
CP

Keith Nuttle

Oct 20, 2016, 5:15:13 PM10/20/16
With the time and cost of materials you are spending on trying to save
the sill, it would be cheaper to replace it.

J. Clarke

Oct 20, 2016, 7:06:42 PM10/20/16
In article <2016102013442729794-email@domaincom>, em...@domain.com
says...
Replace it before it rots through and the framing underneath starts to
go.

krw

Oct 20, 2016, 8:20:54 PM10/20/16
Is it trapping water, for some reason? Is water sitting on the sill
after a storm?

tdacon

Oct 20, 2016, 10:14:46 PM10/20/16
"MOP CAP" wrote in message news:2016102013442729794-email@domaincom...
CP, first fix the leak that's causing the rotting.

Leon

Oct 22, 2016, 11:03:32 AM10/22/16
Do you have a fix to prevent rain?

tdacon

Oct 22, 2016, 11:54:46 AM10/22/16

"Leon" wrote in message

>Do you have a fix to prevent rain?

Don't be disingenuous, Leon. It doesn't become you.

Tom

MOP CAP

Oct 22, 2016, 1:00:49 PM10/22/16
Prattlers. They always have something to say, even if they have nothing to say.

One suggested that the sill be replaced. By that reasoning, if you get
an ingrown toe nail you should amputate your leg and get a prosthetic
leg.

Another said "find the leak and fix it". The leak is the sky.

Not one prattler has addressed the original question.

Is there some type of rot inhibitor?

CP

Tim Daneliuk

Oct 22, 2016, 1:38:21 PM10/22/16

Tim Daneliuk

Oct 22, 2016, 1:42:13 PM10/22/16
And the very first hit there is:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/redwood-rot-99622.html

Which - among other things - says this - the very same things others here have said:

--------------------------

Physical Rot Prevention

The major cause of rot in redwood is persistent moisture. Even redwood's resistance to cracking and rot will eventually diminish if the wood becomes wet and stays that way, so the first step to making redwood virtually rot-proof is to ensure that doesn't happen. Decks need to be designed in such a way as to ensure that moisture cannot pool on the surface, which ought to prevent the planks from rotting. Any deck or fence post that is placed in an area where water naturally pools needs to be set so as to better protect that part of the post that is underground. For minor problems, set the post in concrete and then sculpt the top of that concrete plug so it slopes downhill and away from the fence post. For severe problems, dig a drainage ditch or install an underground drainage canal.
Refinishing for Rot Prevention

The other way to keep moisture, and thereby rot, out of redwood is to either seal the redwood to repel moisture directly, or to top up the redwood's natural water-repellent qualities. The former course involves the application of two or more coats of outdoor water sealant. This is often used for decks, but can just as easily be applied to any other outdoor redwood application. The latter course involves applying a wood oil finish to the redwood, and perhaps the most logical type of oil to use is redwood oil,

--------------------------

The "rot inhibitor" you're looking for is to *prevent the wood from staying wet*.
If you cannot - because as in this case it is an exterior sill - you have to let
the wood dry, remove the rot and finish it with a sealer. Since this is not trivial
to do, there is the reasonable suggestion above to replace the bad piece of wood.

Public Service Announcements: It's ill mannered to call people names when they're trying to help you.

Sonny

Oct 22, 2016, 2:09:07 PM10/22/16
On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 12:00:49 PM UTC-5, MOP CAP wrote:
> Prattlers. They always have something to say, even if they have nothing to say.

Well, obviously, your previous fixes and/or preventative maintenances haven't worked, for the long term.

Change the damn sill, asshole, and have it slope about 8 to 15 degrees, downward/outward, as it should be, then paint or seal it.

Additionaly, don't powerwash your windows (and doors), including facings, in the future! And don't install nails/screws/hooks in it, when decorating for holidays, etal.

Sonny

J. Clarke

Oct 22, 2016, 2:37:57 PM10/22/16
In article <2016102210004165566-email@domaincom>, em...@domain.com
says...
Yeah, its' called "new redwood".

<plonk>

MOP CAP

Oct 22, 2016, 3:06:41 PM10/22/16
Thank you all for your replies.

CP

gray_wolf

Oct 22, 2016, 3:37:25 PM10/22/16
On 10/22/2016 12:00 PM, MOP CAP wrote:
Couldn't just put a bandage on it?

Leon

Oct 22, 2016, 4:38:50 PM10/22/16
Have you considered the possibility that the window sill in question is on
the exterior side?

dadiOH

Oct 22, 2016, 5:30:28 PM10/22/16

"MOP CAP" <em...@domain.com> wrote in message
Sure.

The best for home use is probably copper napthanate. It is a pretty green.
Another uses tin, it is clear. Borates are another that is clear but it
uses water as a vehicle, no if the wood gets wet.

Undeniably, the best fix is to replace the sill, assuring it slopes properly
and has a drip cut. If you don't want to do that, about the best you could
so is remove ALL of the bad wood, fill with thickened epoxy, prime and
paint.

MOP CAP

Oct 22, 2016, 5:57:00 PM10/22/16
Thank you.

CP

Keith Nuttle

Oct 22, 2016, 6:14:47 PM10/22/16
If the OP is determined to keep the sill, then one solution is to cover
it with Aluminum or plastic sheeting. I have seen bad windows sills
"fixed" that way when the owner had the siding replaced with vinyl.

However the sill will keep rotting underneath and eventually the sill
will have to be replaced.

krw

Oct 22, 2016, 8:54:49 PM10/22/16
On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 10:00:41 -0700, MOP CAP <em...@domain.com> wrote:

>Prattlers. They always have something to say, even if they have nothing to say.
>
>One suggested that the sill be replaced. By that reasoning, if you get
>an ingrown toe nail you should amputate your leg and get a prosthetic
>leg.
>
>Another said "find the leak and fix it". The leak is the sky.
>
>Not one prattler has addressed the original question.

If it's painted/stained, it shouldn't rot unless it's sitting in
water. That's why I asked if it was trapping water somehow.

>Is there some type of rot inhibitor?

You can look at rotdoctor.com. I've used some of their stuff
successfully but the root cause is still water where it shouldn't be.

OFWW

Oct 22, 2016, 10:25:07 PM10/22/16
How about opening the window, sticking a level on the sill in various
places and be sure that there are no "hollows" and that there is a
good 5 deg or more slope away from the window?

If there isn't then crank up the tools and fix it.