veritas or wood river planes

xxxx

Jul 7, 2014, 7:49:54 AM7/7/14
Looking to get a low angle block and smooth planes. Of course Lie-Nielsen
would be a dream but I can't get over the price. So between Veritas and
Woodcrafts Wood River planes what would be the better choice? Quality /
performance would be the main criteria at this point.

G. Ross

Jul 7, 2014, 8:15:04 AM7/7/14
xxxx wrote: > Looking to get a low angle block and smooth planes. Of course Lie-Nielsen > would be a dream but I can't get over the price. So between Veritas and > Woodcrafts Wood River planes what would be the better choice? Quality / > performance would be the main criteria at this point. Can say about the Wood River, but I got a Veritas log angle block when they were about $75 and love that little thing. I use it more than all my other planes together. GW Ross An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 7, 2014, 1:46:57 PM7/7/14
Never tried a Wood River so I cannot comment. Love the Veritas plane
though.

tdacon

Jul 7, 2014, 2:00:51 PM7/7/14
"G. Ross" wrote in message

xxxx wrote:
> Looking to get a low angle block and smooth planes. Of course Lie-Nielsen
> would be a dream but I can't get over the price. So between Veritas and
> Woodcrafts Wood River planes what would be the better choice? Quality /
> performance would be the main criteria at this point.

Whenever one of the woodworking mags does a comparison review of planes and
such things, it seems that Lie-Nielsen and Veritas are always the top two.
Sometimes Veritas is on top, as with their shoulder planes, sometimes it's
Lie-Nielsen. The September/October 2012 Fine Woodworking did a comparison
review of low-angle block planes, and their top choices were the Lie-Neilsen
60 1/2 and 102, and the Veritas DX60 and Low-Angle Block Plane.
Unfortunately they didn't specifically discuss, or even list, the other
nineteen contenders. A ranking chart would have been helpful.

Even after all that, my own everyday low-angle block plane is an old and
somewhat beat-up Stanley 60 1/2 that I've spiffed up with a Hock blade. Does
a nice job even if it's not as fancy as the others. I do have a lot of
Veritas stuff (although none of their planes) and it's always top quality;
excellent design work and engineering. I have a few Wood River items around
the shop as well, and they seem to be well-made but they're obviously built
to a price point below the leaders. The L-N and Veritas ones would probably
be ready to cut wood right out of the box, depending on your personal
sharpening standards; the WR one might need a little fettling before it was
ready to go. And much depends, I think, on how frequently you'd be using
them. I don't mind buying a lower-tier product if it's for a special purpose
or will be infrequently used.

Tom

dpb

Jul 7, 2014, 2:08:09 PM7/7/14
The L-N and Veritas are within about $20 of each other (w/ L-N actully
the cheaper) excepting for the Veritas nickel-alloy body supreme version.

Comparing _any_ Wood River tool with either is like comparing H-F house
brands to Milwaukee or the like.

woodchucker

Jul 7, 2014, 6:02:19 PM7/7/14
On 7/7/2014 7:49 AM, xxxx wrote:
I have a low angle block from LN.
I have a low angle jack from LV.
I like both, but I really like the LV planes. They are nicely designed
with the screws to keep the blade centered, and the throat opening.

I also like the multiple blades you can get for the LV LA Jack.
I don't like the shape of the LV blocks...

I avoid the Wood River line. I bought some WR clamps, and they are just
not worth the price. They are ok if they were half the price, but they
twist. They were not cheap, and not up to the jorgs or bessey's (which
they knock off)

--
Jeff

Swingman