go high price and baby it or go low and buy two

Electric Comet

Mar 9, 2018, 12:23:15 PM3/9/18

many german companies have been sold off whole or in part
usually if it is parted the manufacturing side goes to china

and it does not take long to see that transfer show up in the market

some high quality designs are showing up in low priced tools

if i need a tool and can find it for 20 versus 150 i will try the 20
out just to see how bad it really is since the risk is so low

and if it works well enough then buy a spare or two and still be saving
money and who cares if it breaks or gets lost

two that come to mind are a palm nailer and an paint sprayer

priced so low that its no worry at all and they work as intended

DerbyDad03

Mar 9, 2018, 10:13:45 PM3/9/18
On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:23:15 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
> many german companies have been sold off whole or in part
> usually if it is parted the manufacturing side goes to china
>
> and it does not take long to see that transfer show up in the market
>
> some high quality designs are showing up in low priced tools
>
> if i need a tool and can find it for 20 versus 150 i will try the 20
> out just to see how bad it really is since the risk is so low

As long as you have time to test it before you really need it for a job/project.

> and if it works well enough then buy a spare or two and still be saving
> money and who cares if it breaks or gets lost

As long as you have time to test it and then go buy spares before you really need it for a
job/project.

> two that come to mind are a palm nailer and an paint sprayer

I bought a cheap paint sprayer. I've brought it home to use, tested it first and it sucked. I wasted
paint and I wasted time going back out to buy a decent one.

There is risk: Wasted time. Sometimes time is money. Other times it's just wasted time, which
also sucks.

> priced so low that its no worry at all and they work as intended

Don't you mean *if* they work as intended?

Leon

Mar 10, 2018, 10:27:52 AM3/10/18
99% of the time with the cheap copied stuff you get less than cheap
price. Better end tools tend to have nice features in addition to
holding up.

Electric Comet

Mar 10, 2018, 1:12:34 PM3/10/18
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 19:13:42 teama...@eznet.net wrote:

> As long as you have time to test it before you really need it for a
> job/project.

if the tool is mission critical you always got to have a backup
anyway

for example buying a sub 20 dollar palm nailer when you already have
an air nailer that is aging but still working

now your replacement becomes the palm nailer instead of a high dollar
air nailer

or if you never tried an air nailer you try the cheapo one first
and return if unsatisfied

the thing is that thru many iterations the cheap stuff is getting to
be very good hence the sell off of so many german companies to asia
before they are completely worthless due to those iterations

DerbyDad03

Mar 10, 2018, 11:15:28 PM3/10/18
You buy your way, I'll stick with mine.

If it's important, it's worth the price, at least to me.

Puckdropper

Mar 10, 2018, 11:53:04 PM3/10/18
DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in news:67d70a59-a07b-4061-b17c-
e64b30...@googlegroups.com:

> You buy your way, I'll stick with mine.
>
> If it's important, it's worth the price, at least to me.

I buy the best because I'm worth it.

I buy less than the best because you don't always need the best to solve
your problem. Those cheap caulk guns solve the "get the stuff out of the
tube" problem quite nicely!

Puckdropper

Jack

Mar 11, 2018, 12:27:03 PM3/11/18
I generally try to fix everything that breaks. Not like the AVe guy,
but I enjoy fixing stuff, or trying. What I have found over the years
particularly modern history, is tools today are designed to fail. Often
you will find the part that broke even in a good item, was crap. For
example, my wife had a jeep grand cherry and the power window broke.
Jeep wanted $400+ to fix it. It took me 30 minutes to replace the
window regulator. The regulator was one unit, including the motor. You
could not buy replacement parts. What broke was a 50 cent plastic gear.
The only reason to have a 50 cent plastic gear instead of a $1 steel
gear was built in failure. I replaced 3 more regulators @ $100+ apiece
with exactly the same problem. Researching on the internet I learned
this was a VERY common problem.

Similar problem with a White-Rodgers zone valve on my furnace. Valve
quit working and when I ripped apart the valve mechanism, it was another
50 cent plastic gear that broke. No replacement parts for that either,
had to replace the entire $125 valve mechanism.

HF tools are amazingly cheap, and more often than not, the things that
make them fail do not amount to all that much, and it seems to me with a
few more dollars they could be make stuff to last a LOT longer for not
much more money. Good example would be the Drill AVe reviewed and
according to him, the lousy heat sink and placement would be the major
failure point. I bet they paid some engineer extra to design in that
failure point, so it cost them more to make an inferior design...

Personally, I think manufacturers could make good stuff for a lot less
than they charge, and they simply price items based on how long before
you will be buying another rather than how much they cost to make. I
know there is a correlation between cost of parts and selling price, but
I know it is nowhere near proportional.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

k...@notreal.com

Mar 11, 2018, 6:21:46 PM3/11/18
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 04:53:02 GMT, Puckdropper <puckd...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in news:67d70a59-a07b-4061-b17c-
>e64b30...@googlegroups.com:
>

>> You buy your way, I'll stick with mine.
>>
>> If it's important, it's worth the price, at least to me.
>>

>I buy the best because I'm worth it.

;-)

...and I can.

>I buy less than the best because you don't always need the best to solve
>your problem. Those cheap caulk guns solve the "get the stuff out of the
>tube" problem quite nicely!

And they're disposable.

Leon

Mar 11, 2018, 6:51:29 PM3/11/18
The cheap orange HD caulk guns are great. When you stop squeezing, the
product stops coming out.

Electric Comet

Mar 19, 2018, 1:13:47 PM3/19/18
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 12:26:59 -0400
Jack <jbst...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Personally, I think manufacturers could make good stuff for a lot
> less than they charge, and they simply price items based on how long
> before you will be buying another rather than how much they cost to
> make. I know there is a correlation between cost of parts and selling
> price, but I know it is nowhere near proportional.

he does a clear explanation on all the things you bring up here

also mentions an interesting story about a company that tried to
go the camel hump model rather than the high price and longer
lasting model and they could not do it

think it was festool

a little past 20 minutes in he draws and explains exactly what they
do and why

https://youtube.com/embed/joetVGrMfAY