Compound power miter saw brake broke

DAV41CRAFT

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

I have a craftsman 10" compound miter saw and the brake no longer works.
Anyone else experienced this problem or know of a fix without going to
Sears service center for the "$35.00 look & see"

Dave

Casey

Mar 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/10/97

Dave,
After 7 years, my brake went up in smoke, too. Sears repair depot quoted
$135.00 (I think) for a new motor. That's the least amount of work they
would do on it. Sucks, don't it?
Casey

DAV41CRAFT <dav41...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970310142...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

yvan & debi lacroix

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

Dave

Try running the saw non stop for 5-10 minutes. The problem is
more than likely carbon buildup on the armature. This is due to
the short running time of a mitre saw followed by a power
reversal to apply the brake, this causes carbon deposits on the
armature. By running the saw it will wear off the deposits on the
armature. If this doesn't work it is more than likely the field
that is shorted(the brake circuit)out. If your saw is a few years
old and weighs about 60 lbs, you may be able to use Delta parts
to fix the problem(model 36-220), their electric components are
interchangeable.

Thank You

Scott N Rothermel

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97
to dav41...@aol.com

dav41...@aol.com (DAV41CRAFT) wrote:
>I have a craftsman 10" compound miter saw and the brake no longer works.
>Anyone else experienced this problem or know of a fix without going to
>Sears service center for the "$35.00 look & see"
>
> Dave

Dave;

I had the same problem a few years ago, and asked at a tool repair shop
(not Sears) on what to do. They explained that the brake works by
reversing the motor when the switch is released. This also can reduce the
life of the tool. I would check at another tool repair for second opinion
about the repair. Hope this helps

Scott

Robert Mester

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

try tightening the blade on the arbor. The blade is slipping and it
appears that the brake isn't working. I've seen it three times. Hope this
is it.

Ted Soward

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

DAV41CRAFT wrote:

> I have a craftsman 10" compound miter saw and the brake no longer works.
> Anyone else experienced this problem or know of a fix without going to
> Sears service center for the "$35.00 look & see"
>
> DaveI had a similar problem with mine after about 1 year. The brake operated
but intermittently.
Sears repaired it at no charge. That's of little use to u now, but as I
recall they said that the probelm was sawdust obstructing contacts in the
switch assembly. I'd be inclined to take a look at cleaning that whole
area and see if it helps. A tin of canned air might do the trick.

Ted

Dutch1

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 15:13:56 -0800, Ted Soward <sow...@ican.net>
wrote:

>DAV41CRAFT wrote:
>>
>> I have a craftsman 10" compound miter saw and the brake no longer works.
>> Anyone else experienced this problem or know of a fix without going to
>> Sears service center for the "$35.00 look & see"

Most of the time the problem with electric brakes is that they slow
down the reaction time and cease working altogether after a while.
This is caused by a reversal of the magnetic field which causes a
bright arc and wears the brushes. Most of the time, Brush replacement
and cleaning of the commutator of the armature (the smooth copper
segments where the brushes make contact) will restore the brake. If
the brake just completely stopped all of a sudden, then the brake
winding of the field or the switch could also be at fault and if the
armature is very worn or bad this could also be a result. Hope this
helps a little.

Rich
The opinions and advice I give are my own and are not those of Makita USA Inc.

rbow...@aol.com

Mar 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/12/97

In article <3326327a...@news.idt.net>, rae...@mail.idt.net (Dutch1) writes:

>and cleaning of the commutator of the armature (the smooth copper
>segments where the brushes make contact) will restore the brake. If
>the brake just completely stopped all of a sudden, then the brake
>winding of the field or the switch could also be at fault and if the
>armature is very worn or bad this could also be a result. Hope this
>helps a little.
>
> Rich
>The opinions and advice I give are my own and are not those of Makita USA
>Inc.

Someone suggested running the saw for several minutes to "blow out the carbon buildup", or words to that effect. Worked for my Makita yesterday.

kenthe...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2016, 10:44:30 AM9/26/16
On Monday, March 10, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, DAV41CRAFT wrote:
> I have a craftsman 10" compound miter saw and the brake no longer works.
> Anyone else experienced this problem or know of a fix without going to
> Sears service center for the "$35.00 look & see"
>
> Dave

Does any one know how long reverse polarity is applied to the motor to brake the blade? Momentary or constant? if momentary I assume there is a relay or capacitor in the trigger that applies the voltage.

Michael

Sep 26, 2016, 12:50:49 PM9/26/16
On Monday, March 10, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, DAV41CRAFT wrote:
> I have a craftsman 10" compound miter saw and the brake no longer works.
> Anyone else experienced this problem or know of a fix without going to
> Sears service center for the "$35.00 look & see"
>
> Dave

A related question: the brake on my Dewalt compound miter is intermittent. I usually don't give it much thought, but I wonder if I should.

Thanks,

Mike

Bob Villa

Sep 26, 2016, 1:08:55 PM9/26/16
On my Delta (it was intermittent) changing the brushes fixed it. Sears online had ones that fit mine.

Michael

Sep 26, 2016, 1:27:38 PM9/26/16
I figured that's probably it, but I don't know if it's mission critical.

Mike

Unknown

Sep 26, 2016, 1:33:16 PM9/26/16
Michael <michael...@gmail.com> wrote in
My Kobalt is intermittent as well. Usually a quick pump on the handle
gets the brake going again but it doesn't really take all that long to
stop. If it takes long enough to stop that your attention starts to
wander, you've got a problem.

Sometimes cleaning the brushes seems to help things, but by their nature
they should be pretty much self-cleaning. It's never really gotten
better or worse, so I'm not going to take things apart and go looking for
the cause.

Puckdropper

krw

Sep 26, 2016, 8:43:53 PM9/26/16
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 07:44:27 -0700 (PDT), kenthe...@gmail.com
wrote:
No reverse polarity. They short the motor into a resistor and the
resistor dissipates the back-EMF, essentially turning the motor into a
generator driving a resistor.

krw

Sep 26, 2016, 8:44:15 PM9/26/16
Probably a bad switch.

Brewster

Oct 1, 2016, 10:04:47 AM10/1/16
Almost all of these work with the motor turned into a generator when the
trigger switch is 'off' (effectively shorting the motor). The most
common fault, by far, is the trigger switch has succumbed to dust
intrusion (easily fixed with a blast of compressed air). Sometimes the
brushes get worn to the point that they no longer seat properly and
cause the same braking problems.

-BR