Have You Ever Measured Your 48" T-Square?

DerbyDad03

Oct 11, 2016, 8:37:09 AM10/11/16
I have 2 Drywall T Squares, made by 2 different companies. Neither
of them is actually 48". One is 1/8" short, the other is shy by 3/16".

The problem isn't the side with the markings that start at "0" by the T
and end at 47 7/8", it's the side with the markings that start at "0" at
the end away from the T and end at 48" at the T. That first 1" marking,
(which is directly opposite the 47" marking) isn't at 1" from the end,
so none of markings on that side are accurate.

Now, I know that a Drywall T Square is not meant to be a precision
measurement device and I know how to "shift an inch" to compensate
for the incorrect marking, but I wonder why they bother to mark
the inaccurate side in the first place. If you want markings on both
sides, just start both sides at "0" by the T so that the markings line
up and are accurate.

Seems like they could just make the T squares a true 48" and eliminate
the problem. Maybe they do...both of mine were bought at the borg but
they were bought 20 years apart, so it's not a new issue.

Not a big problem, just an observation.

russell...@yahoo.com

Oct 13, 2016, 7:36:45 PM10/13/16
I think you just have bad luck. I have a Johnson T square for drywall. I just measured it and it measures 48". Seems to have the right markings written on it also.

DerbyDad03

Oct 13, 2016, 11:50:07 PM10/13/16
On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-4, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I think you just have bad luck. I have a Johnson T square for drywall. I just measured it and it measures 48". Seems to have the right markings written on it also.

I don't know if it's luck or the brand(s). I posted the same thing in another group and had others
tell me that their squares were also shorter than 48“.

No biggy. In fact, I just cut one of mine down to 42“ so it's really short now.

krw

Oct 15, 2016, 8:16:03 PM10/15/16
My Johnson is 48" long, if you believe my tape measure. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Oct 15, 2016, 11:47:16 PM10/15/16
They say size doesn't matter, but 48" probably would.

Brewster

Oct 16, 2016, 10:47:34 AM10/16/16
Then the question begs, is it square?

-BR

Swingman

Oct 16, 2016, 12:31:17 PM10/16/16

russell...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2016, 2:47:01 PM10/16/16
On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 9:47:34 AM UTC-5, Brewster wrote:
> Then the question begs, is it square?
>
> -BR

Does it really make much/any difference? These are used for drywall cutting. All the drywall I have ever done had 1/8", 1/4" gaps between sheets. Every edge is covered with tape and filled with mud. Precision is not necessary with drywall work. And even if you use the square for cutting plywood for exterior sheathing, precision is not that crucial. You're putting subfloor on. 1/8" gaps over a joist are not important. And you can always pound it in. Or smash the edges until it fits. The T-square is not used on James Krenov furniture.

DerbyDad03

Oct 16, 2016, 3:14:27 PM10/16/16
umm...you may not have noticed that we're no longer talking about a drywall
square.

DerbyDad03

Oct 16, 2016, 3:16:23 PM10/16/16
For all those on the receiving end of such a tool, may I be the first
to say "Ouch!"

russell...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2016, 10:42:15 PM10/16/16
Its a 48 inch T square. You use it to cut drywall. Maybe cut some plywood for sheathing. Plywood and drywall come in 4' x 8' sheets. 48" is 4 feet. Cut from one side to the other. Or draw a line from one side to the other. What do you think 48 inch T squares are used for? Cutting veneered plywood for cabinets? Cutting boards to length?

russell...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2016, 10:43:22 PM10/16/16
OK. I reread the latest posts. Not talking about the square.

J. Clarke

Oct 17, 2016, 3:14:21 AM10/17/16
In article <f64c99ec-8fcd-4d6b...@googlegroups.com>,
russell...@yahoo.com says...

> On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 2:14:27 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> > > Does it really make much/any difference? These are used for drywall cutting. All the drywall I have ever done had 1/8", 1/4" gaps between sheets. Every edge is covered with tape and filled with mud. Precision is not necessary with drywall work. And even if you use the square for cutting plywood for exterior sheathing, precision is not that crucial. You're putting subfloor on. 1/8" gaps over a joist are not important. And you can always pound it in. Or smash
the edges until it fits. The T-square is not used on James Krenov furniture.

> > umm...you may not have noticed that we're no longer talking about a drywall
> > square.
>
> Its a 48 inch T square.

Perhaps you are not a native speaker of American--the discussion has
gone from a square to a Johnson, which is used for a rather different
kind of woodworking.

russell...@yahoo.com

Oct 17, 2016, 4:41:01 PM10/17/16
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 2:14:21 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:
> In article <f64c99ec-8fcd-4d6b...@googlegroups.com>,
> russell...@yahoo.com says...

> the edges until it fits. The T-square is not used on James Krenov furniture.
> > >
> > > umm...you may not have noticed that we're no longer talking about a drywall
> > > square.
> >
> > Its a 48 inch T square.
>
> Perhaps you are not a native speaker of American--the discussion has
> gone from a square to a Johnson, which is used for a rather different
> kind of woodworking.

I missed the "Johnson" part until now. That's good. The "woodworking" is a little coarser than I care to tread.

DerbyDad03

Oct 17, 2016, 11:20:34 PM10/17/16
"woodworking" is too coarse but the 48" square Johnson comment was OK? Interesting. ;-)