Re: Small built-in cabinet project ... in progress.

Swingman

Jul 12, 2014, 11:52:38 AM7/12/14

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopBuiltInWallCabinets2014?noredirect=1

Leon (on the ladder) came by this week specifically to pity an old man,
and help get these two tall shelf units from the shop, to atop the base
cabinets and screwed in place ... although I'm not sure, judging from
where that drill is pointing, whether he got the right idea? ;)

Got the stiles (and end panels) scribed _perfectly_ to three of the most
crooked, non-plumb walls I've ever experienced, on a job where NO scribe
moulding is allowed ... still trying to figure out how/why I let myself
in for these things.

The finisher is there as we speak this morning. Here's hoping the color
match of the top coat pleases the client. I'll know by day's end...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

nailsh...@aol.com

Jul 12, 2014, 12:36:37 PM7/12/14
On Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:52:38 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

> Got the stiles (and end panels) scribed _perfectly_ to three of the most
>
> crooked, non-plumb walls I've ever experienced, on a job where NO scribe
>
> moulding is allowed ... still trying to figure out how/why I let myself
>
> in for these things.

OK, where no scribe molding is allowed, how did you do it? The only way I have done that in the past is to build a base, plumb a tall board on a level base, then scribe the offending edge's profile onto it. Then transfer over to the actual stile to hand cut with a saw. It was long and laborious to do.

Inquiring minds, Karl... do tell.

> The finisher is there as we speak this morning. Here's hoping the color
>
> match of the top coat pleases the client. I'll know by day's end...

Good luck! I like the symmetry and spacing around that window. It has a "looks like it belongs there" look to it. Great job as usual.

BTW, you might want to check that ladder in the last pic. It looks like Bayer was eyeballing it to "mark" as his...

I was serious about transferring the wall profile to your cabinet edge. Sometimes I think I make things harder than they need to be, so I am always ready to learn something new.

Robert

Swingman

Jul 12, 2014, 1:53:59 PM7/12/14
Nothing new, just an old skill/method that still occasionally comes in
handy in the "Caulk Age".

All wall end stiles (both cabinet and shelf unit, wall end stiles) were
made and fit to the cabinets before sanding, but only attached
temporarily with double sided tape, sanded and then stained. Not to be
permanently attached to cabinets until properly scribed to the wall
during installation.

I got lucky with the two base cabinet 'wall end' stiles.

Although with a 3/16" gap at the top, their walls were flat (not plumb),
lower down, so simply angled straight cuts, using the Festool TS-75 and
guide rails, sufficed for a perfect fit to the wall.

Not so with the 74" tall shelf units.

Both walls, higher up, had 3/8" - 1/2" gaps at the top (one with a 3/8"
gap at the bottom as well) and the walls were wavy/buckled (to a 1/4")
in a couple of places on the way up.

The right stile, although wavy, was an old fashioned straightforward,
steady hand/eye, Bosch jig saw scribe job; with just a couple of 1/4"
bump outs, but was flush to the wall at the bottom.

The left wall was a different story.

That stile only touched the wall for a total of 18", starting about 12"
up. There were two 3/16" bumps in the first 12", then flush to the wall
for 18", then a gap, with two 1/4" bump outs, increasing to 1/2" gap at
the 74" high top.

IOW, the farkin' proverbial wall from hell cabinetmaker's nightmare, +10.

For this one I had to make a template out of 1/4" material because, if
the above was not enough to cause angst, there was not enough of a wall
surface to run even a compass scribe along its length, due to the
proximity of the rounded corner of the drywall, all the while holding
the 3/4" thick material in place.

Made a couple of test wall scribes in strips of the 1/4" plywood, cut
out with the jig saw, until I got a perfect scribe cut.

Then carefully transferred that scribe to the real stile; shut out all
distractions; bit the bullet and squeezed the nuts; fired up the jig
saw; and made the jig saw cut with the greatest degree of
carefularity... in the last piece of stock.

... then prayed all the way back to the jobsite.

It worked. ;)

Used the same method to scribe the pre-finished plywood end panels to
the back walls, but without the drama.

BTW, I started using these a few years back.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bnB34Fmc1cy26B7yjIPJdtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

The little one (yellow/green??) is my favorite goto scribe tool (I'm on
my second of both as they somehow walk off by themselves). For most
scribes you can just use the edge that corresponds to your biggest gap
and be done with it.

The Fastcap works for more challenging situations, like the last above.

In short, way too much work for the average bear in today's world, but
worth being able to do, if nothing else but for the satisfaction of
being able to git'r done WITHOUT caulk and trim ... imagine that. ;)

no...@none.com

Jul 12, 2014, 3:52:53 PM7/12/14
On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:52:38 -0500, Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:
>Leon (on the ladder) came by this week specifically to pity an old man,
>and help get these two tall shelf units from the shop, to atop the base
>cabinets and screwed in place ..

That your ladder or his? It looks like one of those Little Giant
ladder types. I was wondering what your opinion was of that type of
ladder?

Leon

Jul 12, 2014, 4:40:40 PM7/12/14
On 7/12/2014 10:52 AM, Swingman wrote:

> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopBuiltInWallCabinets2014?noredirect=1
>

> Leon (on the ladder) came by this week specifically to pity an old man,
> and help get these two tall shelf units from the shop, to atop the base
> cabinets and screwed in place ... although I'm not sure, judging from
> where that drill is pointing, whether he got the right idea? ;)
>
> Got the stiles (and end panels) scribed _perfectly_ to three of the most
> crooked, non-plumb walls I've ever experienced, on a job where NO scribe
> moulding is allowed ... still trying to figure out how/why I let myself
> in for these things.
>
> The finisher is there as we speak this morning. Here's hoping the color
> match of the top coat pleases the client. I'll know by day's end...

DAMN nice!

The French model is brutally handsome too. NO NOT THE DOG ;~)

dadiOH

Jul 12, 2014, 4:45:13 PM7/12/14
"Swingman" <k...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopBuiltInWallCabinets2014?noredirect=1
>
> Leon (on the ladder) came by this week specifically to pity an old man,
> and help get these two tall shelf units from the shop, to atop the base
> cabinets and screwed in place ... although I'm not sure, judging from
> where that drill is pointing, whether he got the right idea? ;)
>
> Got the stiles (and end panels) scribed _perfectly_ to three of the most
> crooked, non-plumb walls I've ever experienced, on a job where NO scribe
> moulding is allowed ... still trying to figure out how/why I let myself
> in for these things.

I DO hope you priced it accordingly :)

> The finisher is there as we speak this morning. Here's hoping the color
> match of the top coat pleases the client. I'll know by day's end...

It certainly should but if it doesn't? I hope he/she is a warm fuzzy, not
a cold prickly.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Leon

Jul 12, 2014, 4:54:36 PM7/12/14
His but I have 2 plus one that extends the same but is strictly A frame
style and has a platform to stand on 2 steps from the top.

Yes I bought one again and again, so to speak.

The thing to watch out for if you don't buy a Wing Little Giant ladder
is the hinge at the top/middle when in a straight position. Some of the
other brand hinge locks are TERRIBLE and a PIA to operate. Gorilla, a
HD knock off of the Little Giant, has basically the same hinge lock as
the Little Giant. You simply push on a knob on both sides and the hinge
is unlocked. It relocks automatically as the next latch position is
reached. The Gorilla some times does not automatically lock each time,
not a problem if you are paying attention, you can easily manually
engage the lock and once locked you are safe. I would steer clear of
the lever actuated locks all together.

The Little Giant A frame ladder, I keep this one in the house for
changing the A/C filter, the filter is on the ceiling 11 feet up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Giant-Ladder-6-ft-10-ft-Aluminum-Select-Step-Multi-Position-Ladder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-15109-001/202708448

Compared to most all less expensive standard ladders these type ladders
are certainly heavier but absolutely much more stable.

Swingman

Jul 12, 2014, 6:16:00 PM7/12/14
On 7/12/2014 2:52 PM, no...@none.com wrote:

> That your ladder or his? It looks like one of those Little Giant
> ladder types. I was wondering what your opinion was of that type of
> ladder?

It's an early "Cosco" ... a ripoff of the Little Giant.

Had it for years and I like it because it is safe to use due to the many
different positions in which it can be configured, for stairs, etc.

One can stand, straddling the apex, with a foot on each side on a top
rung, and be very steady without being that high off the ground. Almost
like being on a platform because of the wide rungs.

Downside is that it was heavy to start with, and gets heavier each year.

Don't know if they make them this well built any longer, but you can
usually find the newer versions at the Borgs for less than $200.

Lew Hodgett

Jul 12, 2014, 7:36:49 PM7/12/14

"Swingman" wrote:

> It's an early "Cosco" ... a ripoff of the Little Giant.
>
> Had it for years and I like it because it is safe to use due to the
> many different positions in which it can be configured, for stairs,
> etc.
>
> Downside is that it was heavy to start with, and gets heavier each
> year.
Pretty soon you will make an executive decision to assign "ladder
work"
to younger members of your staff.

Don't have other staff, you probably don't do ladder work any more.

Trust me.

Lew

---

Greg Guarino

Jul 12, 2014, 11:06:52 PM7/12/14
On 7/12/2014 6:16 PM, Swingman wrote:

> Downside is that it was heavy to start with, and gets heavier each year.

Some things appreciate in weight even quicker. I find that my music gear
(keyboard, amp, stand etc.) gets substantially heavier between the
beginning of the gig and the end.

Swingman

Jul 13, 2014, 12:46:48 PM7/13/14
On 7/12/2014 6:36 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

> Don't have other staff, you probably don't do ladder work any more.

I don't it now without adult supervision. ;)