Chalk line advice?

Colin Campbell

Nov 17, 2016, 8:00:27 PM11/17/16
I'm a second year apprentice carpenter, with most of my experience in
residential framing. As such, I used a chalk line quite often. Now that
I'm more involved in renovation, I still find uses for my chalk line, but
I'm finding I can't overlook a couple of problems which simply didn't
matter when I was working outdoors.

First, although I get a nice, clean and sharp line when I snap, I also
get a sort of cloud of chalk along both sides of the line. Also, when I'm
pulling the line out, I get a major spray of chalk from the opening of
the reel.

Although I realise this may not be the best group to approach for a sort
of "rough carpentry" kind of question, I think there is a reservoir of
experience and wisdom . . . well, blatant flattery sometimes works!

The reel is a Tajima, and works well in all respects: I really like the
smooth action on the rewind. The chalk, if I recall correctly, is likely
to be a Dewalt branded product. I realise that's rather vague, but I'm
more than open to recommendations, even to the point of cleaning the
existing stuff out of the reel as well as I can.

Cheers,
Colin

Doug Miller

Nov 17, 2016, 10:46:47 PM11/17/16
Colin Campbell <cp...@shaw.invalid> wrote in news:o0ljq7$99i$1...@dont-email.me:

> I'm a second year apprentice carpenter, with most of my experience in
> residential framing. As such, I used a chalk line quite often. Now that
> I'm more involved in renovation, I still find uses for my chalk line, but
> I'm finding I can't overlook a couple of problems which simply didn't
> matter when I was working outdoors.
>
> First, although I get a nice, clean and sharp line when I snap, I also
> get a sort of cloud of chalk along both sides of the line. Also, when I'm
> pulling the line out, I get a major spray of chalk from the opening of
> the reel.

Too much chalk in the tool -- it's overfilled. Dump about half of it out.

Or simply switch to a laser level. Bosch makes some nice ones.

-MIKE-

Nov 17, 2016, 10:52:28 PM11/17/16
Son of a gun! I'm going to try that, tomorrow.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com
mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com

Unquestionably Confused

Nov 18, 2016, 12:04:07 AM11/18/16
Just a guess on my part, having used chalk lines both for exterior work
and interior, is that you simply have too much chalk in the reel. I
have noticed that when I'm too lazy to reel it in before the next line
is snapped, there's still plenty of chalk available.

Try emptying the reel out completely and then pull out all of the line,
and snap it a couple of times, and finish up shaking the remainder out
of the reel and then reel it back in while running the line through an
old t-shirt to get as much of the chalk off of it.

Now - here's where I'm really guessing on how to proceed: Either pull
the line all the way out again and place just a small amount of chalk in
the reel before you reel it back in OR leave the line reeled in and
place just a small amount of chalk in there and see how it works after a
couple of line snaps.

My thought is that you're probably better off trying to recharge the
reel with chalk with the line fully extended and THEN reeling it in,
but, as I said, I'm just guessing on that.

What I'm not guessing at is that you simply have too much chalk coming out.

Idlehands

Nov 18, 2016, 1:16:41 AM11/18/16
Could be worse, a carpenter friend pissed of a co-worker who filled his
chalk line with a really really fine glitter.....

--
The was a old guy named binky
Whose thumb began to smell stinky

So why can't you accept that he's an idiot and move on?
Bill Jillians (Formosa'd by Checkmate)

Bob La Londe

Nov 18, 2016, 1:31:08 PM11/18/16
"Idlehands" <hide...@nospamhush.com> wrote in message
> On 2016-11-17 5:59 PM, Colin Campbell wrote:
>> I'm a second year apprentice carpenter, with most of my experience in
>> residential framing. As such, I used a chalk line quite often. Now that
>> I'm more involved in renovation, I still find uses for my chalk line, but
>> I'm finding I can't overlook a couple of problems which simply didn't
>> matter when I was working outdoors.
>>
>> First, although I get a nice, clean and sharp line when I snap, I also
>> get a sort of cloud of chalk along both sides of the line. Also, when I'm
>> pulling the line out, I get a major spray of chalk from the opening of
>> the reel.
>>
>> Although I realise this may not be the best group to approach for a sort
>> of "rough carpentry" kind of question, I think there is a reservoir of
>> experience and wisdom . . . well, blatant flattery sometimes works!
>>
>> The reel is a Tajima, and works well in all respects: I really like the
>> smooth action on the rewind. The chalk, if I recall correctly, is likely
>> to be a Dewalt branded product. I realise that's rather vague, but I'm
>> more than open to recommendations, even to the point of cleaning the
>> existing stuff out of the reel as well as I can.
>>

> Could be worse, a carpenter friend pissed of a co-worker who filled his
> chalk line with a really really fine glitter.....

That is hysterical. Good thing I wasn't drinking cofffee when I read that.

Greg Guarino

Nov 18, 2016, 4:03:20 PM11/18/16
On 11/18/2016 1:16 AM, Idlehands wrote:
> On 2016-11-17 5:59 PM, Colin Campbell wrote:
>> I'm a second year apprentice carpenter, with most of my experience in
>> residential framing. As such, I used a chalk line quite often. Now that
>> I'm more involved in renovation, I still find uses for my chalk line, but
>> I'm finding I can't overlook a couple of problems which simply didn't
>> matter when I was working outdoors.
>>
>> First, although I get a nice, clean and sharp line when I snap, I also
>> get a sort of cloud of chalk along both sides of the line. Also, when I'm
>> pulling the line out, I get a major spray of chalk from the opening of
>> the reel.
>>
>> Although I realise this may not be the best group to approach for a sort
>> of "rough carpentry" kind of question, I think there is a reservoir of
>> experience and wisdom . . . well, blatant flattery sometimes works!
>>
>> The reel is a Tajima, and works well in all respects: I really like the
>> smooth action on the rewind. The chalk, if I recall correctly, is likely
>> to be a Dewalt branded product. I realise that's rather vague, but I'm
>> more than open to recommendations, even to the point of cleaning the
>> existing stuff out of the reel as well as I can.
>>

> Could be worse, a carpenter friend pissed of a co-worker who filled his
> chalk line with a really really fine glitter.....

My daughter (a vocalist and a performer in musicals) refers to glitter
as Satan's Dandruff. Once it gets on you or your clothes, it's forever.

Spalted Walt

Nov 18, 2016, 4:08:21 PM11/18/16

Doug Miller

Nov 18, 2016, 5:44:02 PM11/18/16
Idlehands <hide...@nospamhush.com> wrote in news:o0m6b5$a56$2...@dont-email.me:

> On 2016-11-17 5:59 PM, Colin Campbell wrote:
[...]
>> First, although I get a nice, clean and sharp line when I snap, I also
>> get a sort of cloud of chalk along both sides of the line. Also, when I'm
>> pulling the line out, I get a major spray of chalk from the opening of
>> the reel.
[...]
> Could be worse, a carpenter friend pissed of a co-worker who filled his
> chalk line with a really really fine glitter.....

ROTFLMAO!

Electric Comet

Dec 5, 2016, 12:26:52 PM12/5/16
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 00:59:51 -0000 (UTC)
Colin Campbell <cp...@shaw.invalid> wrote:

> the smooth action on the rewind. The chalk, if I recall correctly, is
> likely to be a Dewalt branded product. I realise that's rather vague,

try different chalk or use a straight edge and grease pencil

have noticed that they have managed to sell inferior chalk

tried some neon orange stuff and noticed right away that it did not
give a crisp line like the old red did and i saw more powder in the
air

maybe the chalk is ground too fine or some other bad idea is applied

who knows really what the stuff is

i doubt there is any regulatory scrutiny over chalk suppliers

it is porbably made from industrial waste byproducts by drying in
ovens

lot cheaper than disposing of toxic waste

Scott Lurndal

Dec 5, 2016, 12:46:14 PM12/5/16
Electric Comet <electri...@mail.invalid> writes:
>On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 00:59:51 -0000 (UTC)
>Colin Campbell <cp...@shaw.invalid> wrote:
>
>> the smooth action on the rewind. The chalk, if I recall correctly, is
>> likely to be a Dewalt branded product. I realise that's rather vague,
>
>try different chalk or use a straight edge and grease pencil

Straight edge and grease pencil won't help snap a 20' line
on the foundation wall for the sill plate.

>have noticed that they have managed to sell inferior chalk

You have? Who are "they", and by what measure is the chalk
inferior?

>tried some neon orange stuff and noticed right away that it did not
>give a crisp line like the old red did and i saw more powder in the
>air

And your vast experience with chalklines is what, exactly?

>maybe the chalk is ground too fine or some other bad idea is applied

Or maybe it's user error?

>who knows really what the stuff is

I'm sure the manufacturer is quite aware of the composition of
the chalk.

>i doubt there is any regulatory scrutiny over chalk suppliers

I'm sure that your doubts are completely unfounded.

>it is porbably made from industrial waste byproducts by drying in
>ovens

"porbably"?

DerbyDad03

Dec 5, 2016, 12:57:14 PM12/5/16
On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 12:46:14 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Electric Comet <electri...@mail.invalid> writes:
> >On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 00:59:51 -0000 (UTC)
> >Colin Campbell <cp...@shaw.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> the smooth action on the rewind. The chalk, if I recall correctly, is
> >> likely to be a Dewalt branded product. I realise that's rather vague,
> >
> >try different chalk or use a straight edge and grease pencil
>
> Straight edge and grease pencil won't help snap a 20' line
> on the foundation wall for the sill plate.

It will if you have a 20' straight edge. Don't we all?

(I keep mine in an 8 x 10 shed.)

whit3rd

Dec 5, 2016, 6:53:07 PM12/5/16
If your shed is more than 15.37 feet high, it'll fit without disassembly.
Otherwise, it's gotta be a virtual straight edge made of photons, and hard to
read in sunlight.

For cutting plywood, I made a ~10' straight track to guide a skilsaw, joining
two plywood segments with a pegged splice board, and (using a tablesaw)
ripped one edge to a straight line. It took a few tries, though,
and the resulting track hangs from a peg so it won't twist in storage.
The photonic ones, I've gotta remember to yank the batteries when they

Sonny

Dec 5, 2016, 7:47:24 PM12/5/16
+1. Everyone should have a 20' foldup straight edge, to complement their 20' foldup ruler.

Sonny

DerbyDad03

Dec 5, 2016, 10:01:14 PM12/5/16
I found it easier to keep my 20' straight edge solid. When I need to get it out of the 8 x10 shed I
build an addition with door on the far end and it comes right out.

krw

Dec 5, 2016, 10:29:34 PM12/5/16
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:47:22 -0800 (PST), Sonny <cedar...@aol.com>
I have an 8' extruded one that splits in half. Festool tracks can be
connected in a very similar fashion.

DerbyDad03

Dec 5, 2016, 10:50:46 PM12/5/16
I do too...and it really is in the shed. :-)

John McCoy

Dec 6, 2016, 9:39:38 AM12/6/16
whit3rd <whi...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Otherwise, it's gotta be a virtual straight edge made of
> photons, and hard to read in sunlight.

Um, you just described a laser line. Nothing virtual about
it, costs $20 at Lowes/Home Depot. Fits just fine in an
8x10 shed.

John

Swingman

Dec 6, 2016, 11:36:46 AM12/6/16
On 12/5/2016 6:47 PM, Sonny wrote:

> +1. Everyone should have a 20' foldup straight edge, to complement their 20' foldup ruler.

Yep, another one of those tools that you don't need often, but ...

;0>

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

DerbyDad03

Dec 6, 2016, 12:34:12 PM12/6/16
My biggest issue with Laser Levels, at least the hand held consumer grade
type, is that they are next to impossible to level in the first place.

Take a look at the bubble in the level on this Bosch "professional" laser level. The bubble is so much shorter than the area between the lines, you
have to visually center it. You would need a seriously calibrated eyeball in order to center the bubble such the laser level was even close to accurate
at 20'.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/7b/7b9ed2b8-6f70-4c2d-b388-2b00f96a91a8_1000.jpg

Based on my experience, the short bubble is typical and has been ever
since they (and not just Bosch) introduced hand held laser levels to the
consumer market.

In the rare times that I've used that type of laser level, I've used a
good quality 24" level to level the level.