Uber/Lyft For Tools

-MIKE-

May 21, 2018, 12:07:14 PM5/21/18
If the Pro questionnaire I received from Home Depot this morning is any
indication, be prepared to see some sort of co-op tool rental app come
down the pike in the near future.

I've considered this idea before, especially given the "success" of
direct consumer-to-consumer commerce happening with ride sharing and
food delivery in urban and suburban areas. Success in quotes because I
hear Uber is hemorrhaging cash, but I digress.

We're all old enough to have seen community co-op wood-shops come and go
and mostly fail. But this single-tool consumer to consumer and pro to
pro rental system could be a great benefit and super convenient if it
got enough people involved.

Lets say you're way out in the boonies, digging hole footings and run
into some rock, or your back's killing you so you decide on a
gas-powered auger instead. You get on your tool rental app and
Billy-Bob has an auger, right down the road from you.

What might kill it all is the issue of liability. Although Uber/Lyft
seem to have navigated the issue with their users operating the most
dangerous tools around-- cars. So who knows?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

MJ

May 21, 2018, 2:58:42 PM5/21/18

There's a guy in our area that has a "tool library". He collected unwanted, but usable tools, provides some level of instruction and off you go. I've not heard he had any liability issues. Not sure what shape his tools are, but he claims that they have to be usable.

I would really be hesitant in loaning even some of best woodworkers in our area any tool. I do loan one guy my DeWalt scrollsaw for his classes but 1) he's a pro 2) he knows how to treat it right.

MJ