Labor of love not $

Rick the antique guy

May 18, 2018, 12:24:09 PM5/18/18
Here's a basket case piece

Before

https://imgur.com/a/3zyI57L
After

https://imgur.com/a/dyGygrx

This piece from an attic one of a kind Hand made Propbably 100 yrs. old.
Maybe a thousand pieces with at least a couple hundred missing.
Some were in the drawers the rest had to be cut with a dovetail saw and small homemade miter box and sanded to fit.
Black walnut tops,1/16" thick Rosewood veneer side panels.
Ebony, Rosewood and Satinwood geometric inlays.
Ebony and satinwood 1/16"square spacer banding.

Regretfully shitty 35 mil converted to digital pics.
I stopped counting after 200 hours in this 6 months project with many many breaks to remain sane.

You don't have to be crazy to do this kind of work but it helps.
Believe me This is NO job to put food on the table.
It's just an adventure.
rick B.

dpb

May 18, 2018, 1:45:32 PM5/18/18
Well, there was more there than not... :)

Nicely done; agree one will likely never be able to recover a decent
wage from the time/effort expended unless can find someone with deep
pockets and a vested interest...to just put in the local flea market
won't work, fer shure...

As with you, I feel the effort is worth it simply for the ability to
save the piece.

-MIKE-

May 18, 2018, 1:55:58 PM5/18/18
Awesome work.

Attention! This guy knows what he's doing! :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Leon

May 18, 2018, 3:21:10 PM5/18/18
On 5/18/2018 11:24 AM, Rick the antique guy wrote:
> Here's a basket case piece
>
> Before
>
> https://imgur.com/a/3zyI57L
> After
>
> https://imgur.com/a/dyGygrx

Very nice Rick! Well done

> This piece from an attic one of a kind Hand made Propbably 100 yrs. old.
> Maybe a thousand pieces with at least a couple hundred missing.
> Some were in the drawers the rest had to be cut with a dovetail saw and small homemade miter box and sanded to fit.
> Black walnut tops,1/16" thick Rosewood veneer side panels.
> Ebony, Rosewood and Satinwood geometric inlays.
> Ebony and satinwood 1/16"square spacer banding.
>
> Regretfully shitty 35 mil converted to digital pics.
> I stopped counting after 200 hours in this 6 months project with many many breaks to remain sane.
>
> You don't have to be crazy to do this kind of work but it helps.
> Believe me This is NO job to put food on the table.
> It's just an adventure.
> rick B.

I am currently bidding to build a replica of a toy barn that is 100
years old. The customer lost her fathers toy barn in the Harvey flood.
Luckily a friend had one very similar for me measure and to recreate.

Working on this old stuff certainly is not a living, more a love of the
work.

Colin Campbell

May 18, 2018, 9:25:35 PM5/18/18
Wonderful job, Rick! Clearly the work of a craftsman, in the best of the
old-fashioned sense of the word.

Cheers,
Colin

Rick the antique guy

May 18, 2018, 9:46:19 PM5/18/18
> --Thank You dpb
It was just time passing and the fact that the original artist may be Honored for their meticulous work by rescuing their work for anorher century of usage.
I later found a C.N.C. wood worting site that could have made a bunch of this stuff on an inlay strip.
All I had to do was to design it on their online C.A.D. program.
They make a lot of acoustic Guitar inlays sound hole, purfling and banding
I figured that the parts may have neen made for under $500.00
Still U would have to remove all the Old and replace it with new .
the new stuff is all identically figured. the original is symetrical but not Identical. to me thays the beauty of the piece not to say they did not have a method to dtack cut ,Assenble and cut into strips.
I'm guess they probably didn't do it piece by piece like I did.
I am sure glad it's water over the dam by now.
rick B.

Rick the antique guy

May 18, 2018, 9:54:11 PM5/18/18
Thanks Mike
I don't know about that I really know what I'm doing.
If I knew what I was doing, I would be wealthy by now !
When I take on a project, I just go nuts till it's done.
I'm no doctor but I have a lot of patience anyhow.
Hey how about that Jinmmie Fadden of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band He plays Drums and Rack Harmonica at the same time . Now that's Some wind control.

rick B.

Rick the antique guy

May 18, 2018, 9:57:24 PM5/18/18
Thank You Leon
My hat goes off to the Original Artist.
They surely did some fine work.
Too bad they didn't have epoxy back then .
I would have never been able to afford such a piece in good original condition.
rick B.

Rick the antique guy

May 18, 2018, 10:14:05 PM5/18/18
Thank You Colin I have 3 Generations to thank that brought me here up to speed.
Great Grandad;finish carpenter Grandad: Restorer metal smith and wood smith fix it guy and My Dad: furnuture restorer, cabinetmaker. I have alot of their tools passed down to me,
Me Furniture Repairer in my dad's buisness,later, a finish Carpenter. I retired a Machinist and now Antique restoration for fun.

rick B.

Jack

May 22, 2018, 8:42:07 AM5/22/18
On 5/18/2018 10:14 PM, Rick the antique guy wrote:

> Great Grandad;finish carpenter Grandad: Restorer metal smith and wood smith fix it guy and My Dad: furnuture restorer, cabinetmaker. I have alot of their tools passed down to me,
> Me Furniture Repairer in my dad's buisness,later, a finish Carpenter. I retired a Machinist and now Antique restoration for fun.

Great work there Rick.
Are you familiar with Dave Richards who does "Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop" on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dave+richards

He's also a "retired" machinist and has 38 videos of what he's been
doing. Quite interesting and much better that anything on regular TV.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Rick the antique guy

May 22, 2018, 11:27:03 AM5/22/18
Thank You Jack.
What is great site to see , I've heard of that Steam power stuff and I've seen a water power Shop but this Guys videos show a lot of details.
Our turn of the century technology was far more creative than todays.
We rely too much on C.C.C. logic than our own thinking.
I learned from some if those Old timer guys,in my apprenticeship.
The old machinist's were unusually creative by the seat of their pants thinkers.
They came up with practical solutions for almost any problem .
They thougt out of the box but still used tribal knowlege as their foundation.
Sometimes they were secretive and if they found you unworthy or compeditive, they would not show you very much.
All in all those guys would be 100-120 years old by now they got stuck right in the middle of 2 manufacturing eras.
I've much respect for them and their vast knowlege mostly lost by now.
Thanks Jack
rick B.

Spalted Walt

May 22, 2018, 12:48:09 PM5/22/18

Leon

May 22, 2018, 1:38:52 PM5/22/18
On 5/22/2018 11:47 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

> https://www.youtube.com/embed/_mKSKZau9qs?autoplay=1&rel=0
>
> ( The dog's name is Lucky ;)

That one never gets old. ;~)
Message has been deleted

Rick the antique guy

May 23, 2018, 4:52:46 PM5/23/18
This Stuff is Awesome. It looks like either Lucky lost his tail in the Machinery or they removed it so That wouldn't happen.

What's more ater reading a couple of chapters of one of my Dad's Louis La'Amour Novels this morning , I watch the video of the steam power box shop and they are burning in that His name on the Boxes.
I now and ever have been aware: that there are no co-incidences in my life.
rick B.