Full Sheet of Plywood in an SUV?

Rev Chuck

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/17/98
Why an SUV? Get a used van instead. More cargo space, less likely to
roll over. Doesn't get totalled if you back into a light post at 3 mph.

--
Creationism -- because the words are easier to spell.
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.

Rev Chuck

Tom Chew wrote:

> I agree, NEVER get rid of your pickup. Remember, always use the the right
> tool for the job.

Agreed. A Ford F-series pickup is just the right tool for, say, pulling
your neighbor's rice burner SUV out of a snowbank.

> Tom Chew
> le...@cybercomm.net
>
> Don Perkins wrote in message ...
> >I second this notion!
> >

> >>Keep the pickup for hauling lumber and the occasional load of manure and
> >>buy the wife a Volvo 4wd station wagon. Much more practical and safer in
> >>the long run.
> >>
> >>John McGaw
> >>Knoxville, TN

pat_...@hotmail.com

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98

Eddy Hicks

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
I can get 4x8 sheet goods in the back of my 4-door 98 blazer (the S-series).
About 2 feet sticks out the back. It is possible because the rear seats
fold to make a perfectly flat cargo space. It's tight, but they just fit
between the rear opening, just above the rear wells, which act as a kind of
shelf. I love my truck I love my truck I love my truck. Oh yeah, and the
heated leather seats make the ride home really nice in this Midwestern
weather. As for carrying sheet goods in a vehicle this nice, you run what
you brung...

pat_...@hotmail.com wrote in message
<4FA91CE482A1F7F4.5AB00A95...@library-proxy.airnews.ne
t>...

CWard96624

Steve

pat_...@hotmail.com wrote:

> With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my
> pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
> of plywood?

I can only fit a 1/2 sheet in the back of my Subaru Forester :)
but I can carry a bunch of sheets up on the roofrack, and frequently
do.
My vehicle is so new, I don't even like putting my tools in the back.

--
Steve
broo...@panix.com

CharlieDIY

brooklyn writes:

>I can only fit a 1/2 sheet in the back of my Subaru Forester :)
>but I can carry a bunch of sheets up on the roofrack, and frequently
>do.
>My vehicle is so new, I don't even like putting my tools in the back.
>
>--

Wow. I had a couple of those earlier on. Keep 'em nice for always. Except
that never works. Now, my old Dodge PU has 187,000 miles and gets what it
gets. If I owned a vehicle that would cause me to worry about putting tools in
it, I'd probably change vehicles at this point in my life.

Charlie Self
Word Worker

Stephen Anthony

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
pat_...@hotmail.com waxed poetically:
: With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my

: pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
: of plywood?

: PMG

Having had a Explorer ('91) and about 6 weeks ago rolling it, I chose
to replace it with an Outback. I would stay away from the big SUV's
due to the high center of gravity. I wasn't doing anything stupid, 30
mph in the rain, hydroplane, and roll on to the roof. Thank goodness
for seat belts and carseats for kids!

I couldn't fit a 4x sheet flat in the explorer anyway. Not that I
could in the OUtback, either.

Sorry for the sermon. Don't want to see others have to go thru what I
did.

Steve

spoke...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
In article <F2MDo...@world.std.com>,

sant...@world.std.com (Stephen Anthony) wrote:
> pat_...@hotmail.com waxed poetically:
> : With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my
> : pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
> : of plywood?

Suburban or Denali are the only two I can think of.

--
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

spoke...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98

ohh.... a Chevy 3500 Crew Cab
(Make sure you get the Deisel!-)

you can comfortably seat 5 adults, haul 600 Bd ft fo freshsawn lumber, and the
Bandsaw mill on a trailer ;-)

MKepke

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
In article <19981118081004...@ng-fq1.aol.com>,
charl...@aol.com (CharlieDIY) wrote:

My thoughts too. Most of the people I know with SUVs use them as
glorified sedans - they have about the same carrying capacity too.

Anyways, to the poster's original question, if you have to get rid of the
truck (an extended cab won't do ?), you might look at a <gasp> mini-van.
I know a friend with a '98 caravan something-or-other. You can fit
multiple sheets of 4x8s into it flat AND close the rear door. Cost $20K
brand new, fairly loaded - a lot less than many less capable SUVs.

You'll have to live with yourself though <g>

-MK

--
-M.Kepke
My opinions, etc.

SteveL1994

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
Not in my Gran Cherokee.

I looked into Thule roof racks just last weekend. A complete set enough to
carry plywood runs about $200 +/- 50 with a rated support of 160 lbs.

Steve

Pat Barber

pat_...@hotmail.com wrote:

> With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my
> pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
> of plywood?
>
> PMG

The Blazer will hold a sheet, sort of, with a bunch hanging out.. The
full size(now called Yukon I think) will for sure hold a sheet.. and
the original "King" of suvs, the Suburban will hold a all you want to
carry with the seats removed... You will need a Kmart parking lot to
turn it around.. For the money, a minivan is a much better buy,, and
will
hold a whole sheet easy.... I still can't get over seeing women at the
grocery store loading up a FULL SIZE Suburban...that costs more than my
first house...

Jerry O'Sullivan

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
I have a Pathfinder which I chose specifically because it would fit a full
sheet of plywood - 2' sticks out the window though, but it works!

Jerry

Dave Marulli

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
to Steve
Steve wrote:

> I can only fit a 1/2 sheet in the back of my Subaru Forester :)
> but I can carry a bunch of sheets up on the roofrack,

1/2 sheet - Which half?

I had a 86 Subaru GL wagon. With the hatch open I could just
slide 4 x 8 sheet goods into the car, with a couple of feet sticking
out the back. Since the sheets wanted to sit on top of the wheel
wells, which had "U-bolts" that the seat back latched onto, I made
two 1' x 3' "tables" that I put fore and aft of the wheel wells upon
which the sheet goods rested. Saved a lot of damaged to the edges of
drywall! The loading guys at the home centers would always assume I
wanted the goods on the roof rack when they saw the little wagon pull
in, but were surprised (and impressed) when I set up my tables and
slid the goods right into the back.

Obviously I could only get a certain "height" amount of sheets into
the car, but by the time I loaded in all that would fit, I was close
to bottoming out the springs anyway!

Now I have a full size Dodge Ram conversion van, and can't carry
anything wider than 39 inches...Go figure!

George C. Louie

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98

>Anyways, to the poster's original question, if you have to get rid of the
>truck (an extended cab won't do ?), you might look at a <gasp> mini-van.
>I know a friend with a '98 caravan something-or-other. You can fit
>multiple sheets of 4x8s into it flat AND close the rear door.

Only the Grand Caravan/Voyager will fit a 4' x 8' sheet flat. its one of
the selling points of that model. The standard caravan/voyager is about 18"
shorter.

-george

Jim Vidler

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
My '97 Suburban can hold a full sheet with the back seat out and the
middle seat folded down, but the spare tire gets in the way somewhat. By
the way for those of you who think the 'burbs are mammoth beasts that
can't make a u-turn, the turning circle is 44.6 feet (131.5in wb,
219.5in overall length) compared to a short-bed, extended cab pickup at
47.6 feet (141.5in wb, 217.5in overall length) according to Chevy's
specs. I have put a sheet of MDF in once, but I have PU also so I don't
need to usually.

-Jim

Will Flor

In article <72upem$5i5$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, spoke...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>ohh.... a Chevy 3500 Crew Cab
>(Make sure you get the Deisel!-)
>
>you can comfortably seat 5 adults, haul 600 Bd ft fo freshsawn lumber, and the
>Bandsaw mill on a trailer ;-)

Or perhaps an '84 1 1/2-ton Chevy 4x4 with a 454, duals in the back and a Type
I ambulance body.... the 4x8 sheets have to go in on edge, but you can sure
carry a lot of them.

-Will

-Will Flor wi...@will-flor.spamblock.com
Appropriately adjust my return address to reach me via e-mail.

John McGaw

pat_...@hotmail.com wrote in article

Don Perkins

Neil Gilmore

MKepke wrote in message ...

>In article <19981118081004...@ng-fq1.aol.com>,
>charl...@aol.com (CharlieDIY) wrote:
>
>Anyways, to the poster's original question, if you have to get rid of the
>truck (an extended cab won't do ?), you might look at a <gasp> mini-van.
>I know a friend with a '98 caravan something-or-other. You can fit
>multiple sheets of 4x8s into it flat AND close the rear door. Cost $20K
>brand new, fairly loaded - a lot less than many less capable SUVs.
>
>You'll have to live with yourself though <g>
>
>-MK

I live with myself just fine, thank you. When I bought my Grand Caravan in
'96 (grand means about a foot longer), the regular Caravan wouldn't carry a
sheet, but the Grand would. I don't even have to pull the seats, just fold
them down. But then I have to skootch the driver's seat forward quite a bit.
Without the seats in the back, no problems. I've also had some heavy stuff
forklifted into the back without incident. The only capability that I don't
have that I might use with a pickup is that I can't stand up in the back.

Neil Gilmore
ra...@raito.com

Patrick Olguin

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 pat_...@hotmail.com wrote:

> With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my
> pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
> of plywood?

The Chevy/GMC Suburban, with the rear seat removed and middle seats
folded down, easily swallows 8'x4' sheets of plywood. The clearance
from the rear door to the front windshield is almost 12'. I know of no
other SUV's with this much interior cargo space, including those
over-priced pretentious yuppie bastard Range Rovers.

O'Deen
--
Old tools and old fools: a dangerous combination
http://www.concentric.net/~odeen/oldtools

Stephen Salveter

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
Actually, the Volvo wagon will also carry your 4 x 8 sheets of
plywood, if you put them in diagonally and let them stick out the rear
a little.

WoodCWF

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
Subject: Re: Full Sheet of Plywood in an SUV?
From: spoke...@my-dejanews.com
Date: 11/18/98 10:34 AM Eastern Standard Time

ohh.... a Chevy 3500 Crew Cab
(Make sure you get the Deisel!-)

you can comfortably seat 5 adults, haul 600 Bd ft fo freshsawn lumber, and the
Bandsaw mill on a trailer ;-)

--
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

John,

Only 600??? My 3500Dually (w/turbodiesel) Crewcab hauled 1300bf of red oak
without a groan.

As far as SUV's a Suburban will do the job without problem. A Tahoe might but
Ihave never tried it.

Craig
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of
government"

Duke of URLs

Patrick Olguin wrote:
>The Chevy/GMC Suburban, with the rear seat removed and middle seats
>folded down, easily swallows 8'x4' sheets of plywood.

A definite ditto on the S'burban. I've got two. One I'm using as a
garage for my Wrangler and the other I'm fitting out as a shop.

Something else to consider is a trailer. It can be leaned against the
wall when it's not needed. You might even be able to get by with
renting a pick up from U-Haul. I've seen them advertised for $19 a
day.

Keith Bohn

Tom Chew

Charles Alan Phillips

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
charl...@aol.com (CharlieDIY) wrote:

>Wow. I had a couple of those earlier on. Keep 'em nice for always. Except
>that never works. Now, my old Dodge PU has 187,000 miles and gets what it
>gets. If I owned a vehicle that would cause me to worry about putting tools in
>it, I'd probably change vehicles at this point in my life.
>

>Charlie Self
>Word Worker

AMEN Charlie. I used to work on the lot at HD and reading this thread
has made me remember what I hated about that job. But it gets worse.
I've helped customers load used railroad ties in hatch backs. Thank
you to all who drove pickups to HD. Except those a#@#oles who parked
under the awning while shopping. Ok. whew. I feel better now.
Chuck

Capt. Billy Bones

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
The Dodge Durango will not do it but I love it anyway---My mothers Windstar
mini van handles plywood nicely but just barely 48 1/4 "----but the back
door cannot close completly--wood sticks out 4" or so. The only other ones
that I know that MIGHT make it are the Expedition or Land Cruiser $$$$$$$$

>With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my
>pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
>of plywood?
>

>PMG

Rick Unland

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
All do on the roof rack:-)

Dont wreck the interior! Use the roof.

Rick

Grand Cherokee Owner

Bob Mourning

Rev Chuck wrote in message <36524E7B.2191@-REMOVE_THIS-erols.com>...

>Tom Chew wrote:
>>
>> I agree, NEVER get rid of your pickup. Remember, always use the the
right
>> tool for the job.
>
>Agreed. A Ford F-series pickup is just the right tool for, say, pulling
>your neighbor's rice burner SUV out of a snowbank.

I agree with the qualification that when the Ford is long dead and gone, the
rice-burner will be just the tool to drive you back to the auto dealer for
another over-priced, disposable, gas guzzling, unreliable Ford F-150 ;-)

Phil and Christine DeGuzman

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
I can fit a full sheet in the back of my '92 Isuzu Trooper- problem is it
hangs out the back (luckily I live close enough to the home center to drive
with the back doors tied in a semi-closed position. DO NOT BUY A MINIVAN- as
a woodworker (and internet user) you are already skating the fine line of
geekdom- I find that driving the Trooper gives me a sense of redemption in
an otherwise nerdy day.

Phil

CWard96624 wrote in message <19981118072906...@ng107.aol.com>...

>>of Plywood in an SUV?

>>From: pat_...@hotmail.com
>>Date: 11/18/98 1:02 AM Eastern Standard Time
net>

>>With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my
>>pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
>>of plywood?
>>
>>PMG
>>

>They ALL are if ya put a rack on top

jenisi

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
I_LOVE_this! really! No flames intended but...Major car manufacturers
have convinced the YB population that SUV's are "cool", as opposed to
redesigned expensive staion wagons which (most) essentially are.

Ed

Thor Storfjell

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
I have been able to transport those annoying oversized sheets of melamine
in the back of a Range Rover County LWB. It works quite well.

In article <73022u$1ul$1...@camel25.mindspring.com>, "Phil and Christine

Russ

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
The criteria and priorities in the purchase of my SUV was:

1) Room for the family (3 kids)
2) Room for the cargo that goes along with a family
3) Ability to drive safely in inclement weather (Denver, CO)
4) Ability to haul wood

in that order.

And.....

If it weren't for us yuppie "homeowners" spending time at the home centers
and lumber yards with our luxury "SUV's" on the weekends, a good portion
would go out of business.

Russ

TW0P wrote in message <19981118201234...@ng28.aol.com>...
>It appears there is more spirited debate on this topic..... not on how to
work
>wood, but rather what vehicle is best to transport it.
>
>In yuppie SUV luxury high style, of course.
>
>Reminds me of why I hate to go to the home centers on weekends. All them
>homeowners trying to cart stuff in their "sport utility vehicle". HAH !
>They just block the driveways and take forever to load and tie their stuff
down
>and just generally get in the way.
>
>Homeowners..... <grunt>

Scott Freedman

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/18/98
Ouch, that hurt. My wife finally decided getting two little kids into a two
door car wasn't a good idea, she wanted a minivan. I made one stipulation; that
it fit 4x8 sheet stock. When we went shopping, I took a tape measure to make
sure it would fit. We ended up with the Toyota Sienna. I almost crossed that
fine line to geekdom, but my recent purchase of compressor and brad nailer moved
me back to the safe zone.

TW0P

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98

ROBMURR

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98
>HTML><PRE>Subject: Full Sheet of Plywood in an SUV?
>From: pat_...@hotmail.com
>Date: Wed, Nov 18, 1998 01:02 EST

>With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my
>pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
>of plywood?

I had a trailer built for another purpose that
was 4x8 on the floor and would haul a ton
of wood, and all kinds of stuff too. a small
bolttogether one would be ok for hauling
lumber and only cost a couple of hundred.

Ottis

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98
DONT DO IT!!

I lost my truck in the same manner. Yeah, I can *squeeze* a sheet or two
into the minivan but katie-bar-the-door if I get a scratch in it!

I drive around now with my tail between my legs dreaming about the day when
I get another pickup.

bob.

Larry Jaques

Dave Marulli <mar...@kodak.com> wrote:

>Steve wrote:

>> I can only fit a 1/2 sheet in the back of my Subaru Forester :)
>> but I can carry a bunch of sheets up on the roofrack,

>1/2 sheet - Which half?

The left 2x8' half, and even it's only half in...or so I've heard.

- Clinton never - * Graphic Design for Print and Web
- EXhaled.- * http://diversify.com/ljaques

Larry Jaques

Rev Chuck <cdub@-REMOVE_THIS-erols.com> wrote:

>Why an SUV? Get a used van instead. More cargo space, less likely to
>roll over. Doesn't get totalled if you back into a light post at 3 mph.

>> >From: pat_...@hotmail.com

>>Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet of plywood?

Yeah, a used 1982 Chebbie van with pink and purple tuck and roll
and 57 bottles of SpaƱada in the glove box for Saturday night...

Right, and he'd get such bad gas mileage while picking up that
sheet or three of plywood that it'd end up costing him triple
the price. Plus, SUVs are so much more FUN, you can actually
SEE out the windows, etc. I'm siding with the little woman...
and perhaps a top rack. ;)

P.S: A handyperson could whip up a nice rack in no time,
avoiding the Thule Heartattack models altogether.

P.P.S: Maybe she'd let him get a new pickemuptruck instead...
I've hauled a few sheets in my shortsheeted (shortbed) F-150.

P.P.P.S: Ever notice how the cheaparse tools start with a "C"
(Chevy, Crapsman, Central Machinery, CYugo) while the top-of-
the-line tools start with the letter "F" (Ford, Freud, Forrest,
Foredom, etc.)? TFGKTW...

Patrick H. Corrigan

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98
Recent model Chevy Astros/GMC Safaris will carry 4x8 material laying down flat
on the floor with the doors closed.

CharlieDIY

rcf2 writes:

>DONT DO IT!!
>
>I lost my truck in the same manner. Yeah, I can *squeeze* a sheet or two
>into the minivan but katie-bar-the-door if I get a scratch in it!
>
>I drive around now with my tail between my legs dreaming about the day when
>I get another pickup.

Buy used. I saw an '80 Dodge the other day for $900: it was running, though I
can't say if it ran well. I owned one in '80 and it was a good truck.

Charlie Self
Word Worker

Ken Stovesand

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98
My Astro Van is actually a cab-over version of an SUV. BTW, it will
carry 4 ft wide sheet goods laying flat after removing the seats (not a
big deal).

Regards,

Ken Stovesand

Duke of URLs

Russ wrote:
>If it weren't for us yuppie "homeowners" spending time at the home centers
>and lumber yards with our luxury "SUV's" on the weekends, a good portion
>would go out of business.

Oh so you're to blame!

Keith Bohn

ri...@rick.rdperf.com

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98
I get 4x8 sheets of plywood in mmy Suburband and close the tailgate
no problem. Get a Suburban. This is my third and I will probably always

buy one.

I can also put a jet ski in and close the tail gate.

Just my opinion,

Rick...

pat_...@hotmail.com wrote:

> With a new baby on the way, my wife has talked me into trading my

> pickup for an SUV. Which new models are wide enough to carry a sheet
> of plywood?
>
> PMG

Andy

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98
I got me a GMC Sierra extended cab long bed PU. If I did have kids
(none, thankfully) I'd strap the critter in that little back seat and
still have room for plywood out in the back 40.

David Druckerman

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/19/98
Ah, finally, someone with the "correct" answer. The Suburban is the only
SPORT utility vehicle that can carry a full sheet with the tailgate closed (or
doors if you opt for the double doors rather than the tailgate). Yes, some of
the vans can as well but that's why I emboldened (emblazoned?) the word sport.
My K-1500 Chebby can tow 7800 pounds (for big a*# utility trailer for normite
tools hunting), is four wheel drive for skiing / off-roading (skidding trees?
haven't tried it yet..hmm) and has the best occupant safety rating of any
passenger vehicle on the road (love carrying my kiddies in the family tank
Note: every time consumer reports begrudgingly mentions the best crash rating
stat they immediately follow it with comments about "what happened to the
other guy in the crash" and gas mileage). The Suburban is built directly on
top of the mechanicals and much else of GM's pickups (you can even feel the
ribbing of the bed through the carpet in the back). Lastly, it suits either a
3-phase driven Normite like myself or a dyed in the woolly mammoth skin
Neanderthal like O'deen. And it gets 500 miles on a tank of gas (a 42 gallon
tank - standard) You can get a stripped Suburban for the low to mid 20 K's all
the way up to close to $40 K fully loaded.

Dave Druckerman

ri...@rick.rdperf.com wrote:

> I get 4x8 sheets of plywood in mmy Suburband and close the tailgate
> no problem. Get a Suburban. This is my third and I will probably always
>
> buy one.
>
> I can also put a jet ski in and close the tail gate.
>
> Just my opinion,
>
> Rick...

Pat Barker

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/21/98

In my '93 Suburban I remove the 2nd back seat (just unclips) and fold
down the other back seat and can carry 4x8 sheets with the back doors
closed.

Brian

Roy D. Hickman

Bob Mourning wrote in message <72vsca$fn9$1...@autumn.news.rcn.net>...
>Aw, guys -- you're just confusing the poor guy. Re the Ford F-150, if you
want to haul much of anything that you don't want to get wet, you'll have to
put a topper on it, and if you do that, all you've got is a pore boy's
Suburban - so go ahead and do the right thing in the beginning - buy a Burb.
Best wishes, Roy Hickman>

Dave Mundt

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/22/98
Greetings and Salutations...
For what it is worth, I can carry up to 6 sheets of 4x8x.75
plywood in my Toyota Tercel. I crank the front seats up a bit, and
lay down the back seat, then, flag the 3' or less that hangs out.
In many areas, that means that, by the classic definition, I have
a truck.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Dave Marulli <mar...@kodak.com> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>

>> I can only fit a 1/2 sheet in the back of my Subaru Forester :)
>> but I can carry a bunch of sheets up on the roofrack,
>
>1/2 sheet - Which half?
>

>I had a 86 Subaru GL wagon. With the hatch open I could just
>slide 4 x 8 sheet goods into the car, with a couple of feet sticking
>out the back. Since the sheets wanted to sit on top of the wheel
>wells, which had "U-bolts" that the seat back latched onto, I made
>two 1' x 3' "tables" that I put fore and aft of the wheel wells upon
>which the sheet goods rested. Saved a lot of damaged to the edges of
>drywall! The loading guys at the home centers would always assume I
>wanted the goods on the roof rack when they saw the little wagon pull
>in, but were surprised (and impressed) when I set up my tables and
>slid the goods right into the back.
>
>Obviously I could only get a certain "height" amount of sheets into
>the car, but by the time I loaded in all that would fit, I was close
>to bottoming out the springs anyway!
>
>Now I have a full size Dodge Ram conversion van, and can't carry
>anything wider than 39 inches...Go figure!

Remove the mapson. from the email address to get to me...
I hate Cullers who gather from newsgroups

Visit my home page at http://www.esper.com/xvart/index.html

Rev Chuck

BVanDyk929 wrote:

> just big hondo gashogs.

The way they've hung the spare tire on that cheesy outboard bracket is
pure brilliance. Back into a lightpost, and the arm goes through the
back hatch. The auto companies have found a whole new way to clean out
your insurance on replacement parts.

--
Creationism -- because the words are easier to spell.
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.
Remove -REMOVE_THIS- from address to respond.

BVanDyk929

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/23/98
just big hondo gashogs.

McNair, Ken (EXCHANGE:SKY:7K14)

MKepke wrote:

> That said..I find it cheapest to pay a $15-40 delivery charge for lumber
> and sheet goods. After a year of deliveries, I've spent less than the
> annual cost of oil-changes.

I totally agree: you can get about 100 deliveries for
the difference in price between a car and 'burban.
Some places will include free delivery if you buy
enough (like Lanark Cedar for fence wood), or rent
you a trailer.

McNair, Ken (EXCHANGE:SKY:7K14) wrote:

> MKepke wrote:
> >

> > That said..I find it cheapest to pay a $15-40 delivery charge for lumber
> > and sheet goods. After a year of deliveries, I've spent less than the
> > annual cost of oil-changes.
>
> I totally agree: you can get about 100 deliveries for
^^^
make that 1,000 (or about 10 a year) !

Patrick Olguin

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, McNair, Ken (EXCHANGE:SKY:7K14) wrote:

> MKepke wrote:
> >

> > That said..I find it cheapest to pay a $15-40 delivery charge for lumber
> > and sheet goods. After a year of deliveries, I've spent less than the
> > annual cost of oil-changes.
>
> I totally agree: you can get about 100 deliveries for

> the difference in price between a car and 'burban.

Agreed. If you buy a 'burban for the express purpose of hauling sheet
goods, you're probably a half a bubble off plumb. We call ours, "The
Cadillac with 4WD." The huge carrying capacity is a convenience. The
real purpose of the monster is to tow small battleships and to keep
its occupants safe by delivering an 8,650lb blow to the idjit who
dared cross its path. And in 4-wheel low, it's not a bad stump-puller.

O'Deen

Rick and Lisa Marinelli

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/23/98
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:42:29 -0500, "McNair, Ken (EXCHANGE:SKY:7K14)"
<mcn...@americasm01.nt.com> wrote:

>MKepke wrote:
>>

>> That said..I find it cheapest to pay a $15-40 delivery charge for lumber
>> and sheet goods. After a year of deliveries, I've spent less than the
>> annual cost of oil-changes.
>
>I totally agree: you can get about 100 deliveries for
>the difference in price between a car and 'burban.

>Some places will include free delivery if you buy
>enough (like Lanark Cedar for fence wood), or rent
>you a trailer.

Or buy a trailer. For about $200, the home centers have 4x8 trailers
that fold up and store against a garage wall. Mine is a bit heavier
duty than those, but if your hauling needs are a few sheets of plywood
once in a while, they fill the niche perfectly. At $40/delivery, it
only takes 5 trips for it to pay for itself.

Don't be surprised, though, when you find plenty of other uses for a
utility trailer. I wonder how I ever did without one. My Expedition
has plenty of cargo room, but I'll be damned if I'm going to load it
full of dirty bags of fertilizer/peat moss/lime/etc.

One hint: when building sides (no one in this ng would buy them,
right?), add spacers to make the carrying capacity slightly more than
4x8 - makes it a lot easier to avoid dinging up the edges of 4x8
sheets.

Rick Marinelli
rickandlisarem...@erols.com

Mauser

Nov 23, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/23/98
<shrug> I love my Chevy G-20 3/4 ton van for hauling wood. And unlike any
other vehicle, you can open the side door and drive "Huey Style"

David Druckerman wrote:
> Note: every time consumer reports begrudgingly mentions the best crash rating
> stat they immediately follow it with comments about "what happened to the
> other guy in the crash" and gas mileage).

In another newsgroup a fellow mentioned an accident where a K-Car t-boned a
Range Rover. The K-Car was totalled. The Rover owner fixed his dented door
with a mallet on the driveway. The Moral was well understood by the Rover
engineers. "The best place for a crumple zone is on the other guy's car."

Larry Jaques

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/98
Patrick Olguin <Od...@concentric.net> wrote:

>Agreed. If you buy a 'burban for the express purpose of hauling sheet
>goods, you're probably a half a bubble off plumb. We call ours, "The

Thirty degrees off plumb.

>Cadillac with 4WD." The huge carrying capacity is a convenience. The
>real purpose of the monster is to tow small battleships and to keep
>its occupants safe by delivering an 8,650lb blow to the idjit who
>dared cross its path. And in 4-wheel low, it's not a bad stump-puller.

Doesn't it get about the same gallons-per-mile as a battle tank?
(They're about the same size but I prefer the lines of the tank,
not to mention the stump removal tube on top.)

Question: How many times has the 'burb been less than half full
when you wanted to toss some ply in there, so ya couldn't? I'm
sold on pickemuptrucks, myself. YMWV

The more we gripe, * http://diversify.com/ljaques/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Andrew Barss

jenisi <jen...@buffnet.net> wrote:
: I_LOVE_this! really! No flames intended but...Major car manufacturers
: have convinced the YB population that SUV's are "cool", as opposed to
: redesigned expensive staion wagons which (most) essentially are.

Redesigned station wagons with a whole lot of safety features
removed.

I live in Tucson, which seems to be the world capital for wannabe
toughguys who drive SUVs around and around and around -- from the gas
station to the supermarket, to the gas station, to the mall, to the gas
station, ... hey, *I*'m impressed!

-- Andrew Barss

Kevin Singleton

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/98
I recently had occasion to rent one of the new "SUV"s from GMC, the Jimmy.
It's a very nice car, with power everything, and a very smooth, quiet ride,
especially compared to my Jeep. However, there is no way in heck I could've
gotten a sheet of ply in it, and, after checking around the undercarriage, I
discovered that the front part of the 4 wheel drive mechanism is a transaxle
with CV joints, just like a minivan! What are they trying to pull?

Kevin

ruge...@aol.com

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM11/24/98
Go for the trailer! I used to do this as a starving student with a Toyota. Had the economy of a small car,
with some really good hauling. A trailer is easier to load also.

Later in life (even with a P/U as my second vehicle), I adapted one of those car top carriers to the
trailer. I could haul all the plywood I wanted, and when needed, mount the "X-Cargo" on the trailer,
pack up the gang and go. Wives, kids, and dogs take up a lot of space. I took as much as I wanted.

But then again, so did the ex-wife. She's got it now!

Cheers!

Joe