mortises

sawdustmaker

Jun 16, 2015, 1:12:19 PM6/16/15
I got all the mortises cut on 8 legs for the desk. It was a tennonous
affair.
:)
apologizes

Greg Guarino

Jun 16, 2015, 1:21:02 PM6/16/15
Well, *I* got all the mortises cut for eight legs for two end tables.
*And*, there's video.

https://youtu.be/6HVQ3bIA76Y

So there. :)

I've only squared up the mortises on one leg so far (no pics yet). To my
delight (and relief), the corner chisel is making short work of the task.

Swingman

Jun 17, 2015, 8:46:47 AM6/17/15
On 6/16/2015 12:21 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

> I've only squared up the mortises on one leg so far (no pics yet). To my
> delight (and relief), the corner chisel is making short work of the task.

But, but ... we read right here that is theoretically/geometrically
impossible.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Greg Guarino

Jun 17, 2015, 9:20:57 AM6/17/15
On 6/17/2015 8:46 AM, Swingman wrote:
> On 6/16/2015 12:21 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
>>
>> I've only squared up the mortises on one leg so far (no pics yet). To my
>> delight (and relief), the corner chisel is making short work of the task.
>
> But, but ... we read right here that is theoretically/geometrically
> impossible.

It's possible. There are any number of baffling anomalies unknown to
standard physics in my garage. Don't even get me started on the
singularity that makes small parts vanish when I drop them.

On a related note, I decided to try to make myself a sharpening stick
for the corner chisel. I didn't have any popsicle sticks handy, so I
asked my wife for a worn-out emery board. It's about 7/8" wide and 7"
long. It's thin but pretty rigid. I used spray adhesive to affix 600
grit sandpaper to one side and 1000 grit to the other. I haven't tried
it yet, but I assume I'll just make a couple of light passes over the
secondary bevel; the chisel is still very sharp.

woodchucker

Jun 17, 2015, 12:30:12 PM6/17/15
Unless that emery board is metal don't
a wooden/carboard emery board is too flexible, and will round your edge.

--
Jeff

Greg Guarino

Jun 17, 2015, 1:06:33 PM6/17/15
It's pretty rigid, maybe 5/32 thick. Someone here suggested a popsicle
stick. I think this emery board is as rigid as one of those. But I take
your point. It would be easy enough to make another one from something
stiffer.

Lew Hodgett

Jun 17, 2015, 4:11:55 PM6/17/15

Greg Guarino wrote:

> It's pretty rigid, maybe 5/32 thick. Someone here suggested a
> popsicle stick. I think this emery board is as rigid as one of
> those. But I take your point. It would be easy enough to make
> another one from something stiffer.
Get an aluminum extrusion that has a sharp 90 degree corner.

A 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/16" x 96" angle cut to a short length would work
but would be a tad pricey unless you can get a shorter length.

Attach a piece of 600 grit with rubber cement and you are good to go.

A trip to the scrap yard might be in order.

After all, the only thing need is a sharp corner.

Lew

Greg Guarino

Jun 17, 2015, 4:15:23 PM6/17/15
The geometry is off though. In order to hone both edges at once, you'd
need a larger angle than 90 degrees. I'll be satisfied doing one at a time.

Lew Hodgett

Jun 17, 2015, 7:06:43 PM6/17/15

Greg Guarino wrote:

> The geometry is off though. In order to hone both edges at once,
> you'd need a larger angle than 90 degrees. I'll be satisfied doing
> one at a time.
Au contraire.

The reason you want a 90 degree sharp corner is so that
ONLY ONE CUTTING SURFACE at a time gets polished with
the 600 grit.

The sharp corner insures that you get to the bottom of the
cutting tool, but only the one side.

If you want to polish both surfaces at the same time you will get
a lesson in "can't get their from here".

Sorry for any confusion.

BTW, you glue the 600 grit to only one leg of the angle.

Lew

J. Clarke

Jun 21, 2015, 8:49:41 AM6/21/15
In article <mls9c7$asr$1...@dont-email.me>, gdgu...@gmail.com says...
I remember emery boards that were like that. The last ones I got aren't
really stiff enough for even their intended purpose.

DerbyDad03

Jun 26, 2015, 10:36:41 AM6/26/15
They reduced the amount of ice cream in the container, they reduced the amount of mayo in the jar, they reduced the number of slices in a loaf of bread and now they've reduced the amount of material in our emery boards.

Good God, when will it stop! ;-)

phorbin

Aug 20, 2015, 2:04:10 PM8/20/15
In article <65e44317-fae5-454d...@googlegroups.com>,
teama...@eznet.net says...

> > I remember emery boards that were like that. The last ones I got aren't
> > really stiff enough for even their intended purpose.
>
> They reduced the amount of ice cream in the container, they reduced the amount of mayo in the jar, they reduced the number of slices in a loaf of bread and now they've reduced the amount of material in our emery boards.
>
> Good God, when will it stop! ;-)

Check out toilet paper rolls.

---