Now, maybe I have seen everything.

Leon

Aug 20, 2016, 8:29:44 AM8/20/16
I noticed this ad for Wilton hammers.

In particular a set,

2-1/2 Lb sledge with 12 in. handle
20 oz ball pein with 14in handle
32 oz crossin pein with 16in handle

These hammers come in a Protective Carrying Case

Does a tool, that you beat things with, really need a "protective"
carrying case?

Perhaps this is really a commemorative set of hammers.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/shopequipment/wilton-3pcbash-protective-carrying-case-with-1-each-of-20212-32414-30216

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 20, 2016, 9:03:06 AM8/20/16
Go ahead and laugh, but I'd find it very handy. When we travel, I like
to have two or three hammers with us because you just never know when
you'll need one. Ice machine at the motel not dispensing? The 20 oz
ball pein will take care of it. Ever put your quarters in a soda
machine and nothing comes out? Don't get frustrated, just grab the
sledge and quench your thirst.

Since the have no sharp edges you can take the carry case on a plane
with you and it fits easily under the seat of in the compartment above.
Your multi-tool is banned but the hammers will be right with you when
you need them.

krw

Aug 20, 2016, 10:41:17 AM8/20/16
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 07:29:26 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:
I guess that gives new meaning to "dumber than a box of hammers". ;-)
Perhaps the "protective carrying case" isn't protecting the hammers,
rather everything around the hammers?

G. Ross

Aug 20, 2016, 10:49:33 AM8/20/16
Must be "Museum Quality".

--
GW Ross

I like to leave messages *before* the beep.

FrozenNorth

Aug 20, 2016, 11:14:24 AM8/20/16
They guarantee them for life, as long as you never take them out of the
case.

--
Froz....

Unknown

Aug 20, 2016, 12:52:33 PM8/20/16
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote in

> Go ahead and laugh, but I'd find it very handy. When we travel, I
> like to have two or three hammers with us because you just never know
> when you'll need one. Ice machine at the motel not dispensing? The
> 20 oz ball pein will take care of it. Ever put your quarters in a
> soda machine and nothing comes out? Don't get frustrated, just grab
> the sledge and quench your thirst.
>
> Since the have no sharp edges you can take the carry case on a plane
> with you and it fits easily under the seat of in the compartment
> above. Your multi-tool is banned but the hammers will be right with
> you when you need them.

Maxwell, is that you?

Puckdropper

OFWW

Aug 20, 2016, 1:15:24 PM8/20/16
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 07:29:26 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

The open trade secret, if it's green, mark it up high!

They should have had a foam lined gray case, designed to be stackable.
;)

I have had steel shanked hammers in the past, they really hurt the
hand and the wrist if you hit something wrong. Even hitting it
straight on is shocking enough.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 20, 2016, 7:36:55 PM8/20/16
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 07:29:26 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

Mabee the :protective case" is to protect "the rest of the world"
from the 3 hammers???

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Aug 20, 2016, 7:39:57 PM8/20/16
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:15:22 -0700, OFWW <ofww1...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
There is NOTHING like a forged Estwing hammer. One piece steel with
a leather handle - perfect balance, and virtually no "shock"

Bill

Aug 20, 2016, 8:48:50 PM8/20/16
Maybe it's to keep the green paint from chipping? The product
"features" indicates the case is for portability and storage. You must
admit, it's a lovely collection--and the case makes it clear that each
hammer is one of a "set".

Bill

Aug 20, 2016, 8:50:53 PM8/20/16
On second thought, the $5 case must make it a heck of a lot easier to
ship these guys...

Gordon Shumway

Aug 20, 2016, 9:10:55 PM8/20/16
Holy crap, you're older than dirt too aren't you?

DerbyDad03

Aug 20, 2016, 10:42:44 PM8/20/16
I'll bet he's a silver haired rascal.

krw

Aug 20, 2016, 10:44:27 PM8/20/16
I'll bet that applies to a good percentage of the people around here.
Well, those with hair at all. ;-)

Unknown

Aug 20, 2016, 11:13:24 PM8/20/16
krw <k...@somewhere.com> wrote in
I'll put it this way... Most you guys are old enough to be my father or
grandfather. I think I'm younger than Roy when he started making the
Woodwright's Shop.

Puckdropper

DerbyDad03

Aug 20, 2016, 11:58:12 PM8/20/16
...but did you get the reference? That's the important part.

OFWW

Aug 21, 2016, 3:33:14 AM8/21/16
Perhaps, but I haven't used one. I have hammers that I used when
welding or shaping molten metal in the past and they were harsh.

These are not one piece hammers, they have a piece welded on the
handle to stop the head from flying off, which made me shudder
thinking of what happens when you have a loose head on a handle.

Features
Unbreakabler Handle Technology - Steel core eliminates breaking during
overstrikes
Trademark Green Head - Hi-Vis, drop forged 46 HRC steel head endures
the most demanding applications
Safety Plate - Secures head to handle preventing head dislodging
Ergonomic handle shaped and thickened for increased comfort, less
vibration, and improved grip

I'd rather have a "spring" style handle.
No-Slip Grip - Vulcanized rubber handle for secure grip while striking
Hard plastic carrying case for portability and storage

krw

Aug 21, 2016, 10:00:12 AM8/21/16
I guess people are different. I can't use an Estwing claw hammer. I
can feel the ""shock"" go right up my arm to my elbow. I much prefer
fiberglass handles.

Leon

Aug 21, 2016, 10:11:39 AM8/21/16
ROTFL

Leon

Aug 21, 2016, 10:13:11 AM8/21/16
I knew some one here could explain it. LOL

Leon

Aug 21, 2016, 10:18:03 AM8/21/16
Bill you probably nailed it right there. That case eliminates the need
for special packaging and they can double the price of the 3 hammers.