What is it? Set 556

rhv...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2015, 3:25:36 PM7/3/15
Hello everyone! I'm back for just a few weeks, with only one or two items per post. I need some help with the current item, it looks to be something for use by a woodworker. I would have posted earlier but had some issues with the newsgroup service provider.

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 7:06:00 PM7/6/15
Welcome back Rob - I think we all miss the What Is It posts.
Where are all the guesses on this device ? :-)
< I don't even have a foolish guess ! >
John T.

Bill

Jul 6, 2015, 8:30:20 PM7/6/15
hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>> Hello everyone! I'm back for just a few weeks, with only one or two items per post.
>> I need some help with the current item, it looks to be something for use by a woodworker.
>> I would have posted earlier but had some issues with the newsgroup service provider.
>>
>> http://55tools.blogspot.com/

I really enjoyed this one and forgot how much I enjoyed "playing" this game!

My guess is "a fixture to help shape an archery bow". Something about
that seems backwards,
but I tried...

Bill

Bill

Jul 6, 2015, 8:58:30 PM7/6/15
Bill wrote:
> hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>>> Hello everyone! I'm back for just a few weeks, with only one or two
>>> items per post.
>>> I need some help with the current item, it looks to be something for
>>> use by a woodworker.
>>> I would have posted earlier but had some issues with the newsgroup
>>> service provider.
>>>
>>> http://55tools.blogspot.com/
>
> I really enjoyed this one and forgot how much I enjoyed "playing" this
> game!
>
> My guess is "a fixture to help shape an archery bow". Something about
> that seems backwards,
> but I tried...
>
> Bill

In some ways, it reminds me of this device (I just found), used for "gun
stock bending".

http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/Riflemeister/media/StockBendingJig004.jpg.html

I didn't even know there was a need to bend gun stocks...

whit3rd

Jul 7, 2015, 12:38:28 AM7/7/15
Welcome back!

3242: looks like it's intended to rub around a cylinder and cut an inner surface,
not too deeply. A keg-end prep tool, to make a snug fitting circle
so all the brandy doesn't fall out?

rhv...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2015, 2:19:52 PM7/7/15
On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:38:28 AM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
> Welcome back!

Thanks!

> 3242: looks like it's intended to rub around a cylinder and cut an inner surface,
> not too deeply. A keg-end prep tool, to make a snug fitting circle
> so all the brandy doesn't fall out?

Sounds like a good use for this tool, it certainly does appear that it would have been used to cut the inner surface of a ring, though I couldn't find any other ones like it on the web.

Rob

rhv...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2015, 2:21:36 PM7/7/15

> In some ways, it reminds me of this device (I just found), used for "gun
> stock bending".
>
> http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/Riflemeister/media/StockBendingJig004.jpg.html
>
> I didn't even know there was a need to bend gun stocks...

That's an interesting device, thanks for posting it.

rhv...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2015, 2:25:44 PM7/7/15

> Welcome back Rob - I think we all miss the What Is It posts.
> Where are all the guesses on this device ? :-)
> < I don't even have a foolish guess ! >
> John T.

Thanks for your comments, it appears that whit3rd has the right general idea but it has been proving very difficult to find a reference for this tool.