Paramo PlaneMaster Hand Plane

Kenneth Silverstein

Feb 8, 2001, 5:55:42 PM2/8/01
Has anyone ever heard of an English firm called Paramo. I have a hand
plane which is labelled Paramo #10 in the body casting. The adjusting
knob says PlaneMaster and Made in England. It's a 9" x 2 1/8" bench
rebate plane similar to the Record or Stanley #10 1/2. It's missing the
blade and from the cap and adjuster design, I don't think one of the
Record or Stanley ones would work. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

paulw...@my-deja.com

Feb 9, 2001, 5:30:26 AM2/9/01
In article <3A8323EA...@vividnet.com>,

Paramo are (still) a respected maker of cast iron stuff - vises
and cramps are their main lines today.

I've been looking at tools for a while now, and haven't seen a
Paramo plane, so they're not common.

You do know how expensive a Stanley or Record #10 (1/2) is?

Anyway, you may be able to make the blade you need by carefully
cutting/grinding a #4 blade.

BugBear

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

paulw...@my-deja.com

Feb 9, 2001, 10:56:11 AM2/9/01
In article <960gs3$jbd$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Pardon my brain fart. Since your plane is 2 1/8 you'd need a wider
blade than a 2" #4 - e.g. 2 3/8" blade (fits #4 1/2, #6, #7)
These can be scrounged up at flea markets etc. if you've time.

If you're buying new, you might prefer to pony up the extra,
and get a good blade that's ALREADY the right width:

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm (BP212)

sowi...@my-deja.com

Feb 9, 2001, 11:02:55 AM2/9/01
In article <9613ul$39p$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Or you could get a replacement blade from Hock or Lie Nielsen.

John Horobin

Feb 9, 2001, 3:34:00 PM2/9/01

<paulw...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> > I've been looking at tools for a while now, and haven't seen a
> > Paramo plane, so they're not common.

Likewise, have never come across a Paramo #10. If they did exist they must
be quite rare and perhaps made for Paramo by another of the Sheffield tool
firms.

John

Kenneth Silverstein

Feb 9, 2001, 8:14:18 PM2/9/01
Thanks very much . Do you happen to have any contact info on Paramo? My
web searches have come up empty.

Also, thanks for the #4 blade suggestion. I was planning to try a
replacement #10 blade from Hock, but I'd really like to find out what the
blade's supposed to look like. The cap and adjuster are a completely
different design from the Stanley and Record ones

Ross

Feb 9, 2001, 11:13:39 PM2/9/01
It uses a razor blade type blade. Stanley (UK) part # 0-12-379.

Kenneth Silverstein

Feb 10, 2001, 12:27:19 AM2/10/01
Thank you. Now I understand why the cap's shaped that way.

Any idea where I can order the part?

Ross

Feb 10, 2001, 7:23:42 PM2/10/01
I'd try Stanley US. I think they are still related to the UK folks.

Robert Larson

Feb 11, 2001, 12:19:50 AM2/11/01
I might have some blades for the Stanley in stock (not many if any). I don't
know if they will fit the Paramo product. I also import Paramo tools and can
take a look at their catalog for current availability of the item in
question. I'll take a look on Monday.

Robert

paulw...@my-deja.com

Feb 12, 2001, 7:06:10 AM2/12/01
In article <3A84BFF3...@pulse.net>,

ro...@myoldtools.com wrote:
> It uses a razor blade type blade. Stanley (UK) part # 0-12-379.

You mean it's like an Stanley SB-3?

John Horobin

Feb 13, 2001, 2:35:50 AM2/13/01

> In article <3A84BFF3...@pulse.net>,
> ro...@myoldtools.com wrote:
> > It uses a razor blade type blade. Stanley (UK) part # 0-12-379.
> >

> You mean it's like an Stanley SB-3?

No, its very different from the SB-3 which has a single iron. The SB10 uses
replaceable razor blade type blades. It doesn't work very well compared to
a proper #10

John

mjam...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2014, 7:06:47 PM7/10/14
Hi I know this is old but I worked for a Yorkshireman back in the early seventies in Essex his brother came down from Yorkshire and gifted me with a paramo plane (new) told me it was his company. I still had the plane until my recent divorce happy days

mickr...@googlemail.com

Aug 23, 2015, 10:38:11 AM8/23/15
hi i have just bought a paramo plane with three blades they are like a stanley knife blade which slips in the guide from the side . 50m long and about 5m wide but they are hard to setup . they nothing like like a stanley plane