RIP: Old Oak ...

Swingman

Oct 23, 2016, 6:46:16 PM10/23/16

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Oct 23, 2016, 8:25:01 PM10/23/16
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:45:53 -0500, Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:

>http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/iconic-600-year-old-oak-tree-finally-dies

Let's all plant a couple in its honour !
John T.

woodchucker

Oct 23, 2016, 8:39:15 PM10/23/16
On 10/23/2016 6:45 PM, Swingman wrote:

> http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/iconic-600-year-old-oak-tree-finally-dies

That's not far from me.
I had read about the tree a few years ago in the Sunday paper.
I have never seen it in person.
Thanks for posting this.

--
Jeff

Martin Eastburn

Oct 23, 2016, 9:41:02 PM10/23/16
Must be a large white oak there.

Around here, large white oaks are also massive.
18' in circumference meaning less than 3' in diameter!

If measured correctly, at chest height - it is a reasonable tree.

Martin

Jack

Oct 24, 2016, 10:46:01 AM10/24/16
$40,000 to remove the thing? That wood give my tree guy a woodie.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

notbob

Oct 24, 2016, 1:12:10 PM10/24/16
On 2016-10-24, woodchucker <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> I have never seen it in person.

No biggie to a Californian. I see our oak tree is still standing:

https://laloma.mcs4kids.com/img/nav/Oak tree.jpg

That sucker is HUGE! The trunk was at least 5 ft dia way back over
half a century ago when I went to jr high. I'm surprised it's still
standing. Huge oak trees are no biggie in CA. The state is lousy
with 'em. ;)

nb

Leon

Oct 24, 2016, 6:51:23 PM10/24/16
That is a shame but thankfully and closer to home an older oak.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/goose-island/the-big-tree

Casper

Oct 25, 2016, 11:57:59 AM10/25/16
Swingman <k...@nospam.com> was heard to mutter:

>http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/iconic-600-year-old-oak-tree-finally-dies

Been past that tree many times when I was young. Shame it's going but
that's what nature does. Heard they have saplings from it already 5-10
feet tall to start a replacement. Thanks for sharing the news.