where to purchase banksia pods

Ross Lumayko

Apr 2, 2002, 10:46:32 PM4/2/02
I would like to find a place to purchase Banksia pods, that does not
want your first born child. Some vendors are gouging us pretty hard.
It would be nice to talk to someone at the source. If a bulk buy is
the way to go, lets talk.

Ross

Alberta Canada

GP

Apr 3, 2002, 1:07:45 AM4/3/02
rwlu...@celanese.com (Ross Lumayko) wrote in message news:<b92afb18.02040...@posting.google.com>...

Well, I *could* go to our local park and cut some for you and mail
them, but I don't know if your Customs/quarantine will be happy - or
my local council ranger :)

If you want bulk amounts, I'll check the local regulations (there's
*bound* to be limits to what I can do without a permit....) but I can
also check local suppliers and see what info I can get you.

Some of the other Oz regulars might have some ideas??

If you're interested - How many do you want, and do you care if
they're still 'green'? What size etc...

Out of curiosity, how much are you being gouged for them at your
vendor? Wait! Let me sit down first.....OK, surprise me!

Cheers,
Greg

Perth, Sunny Western Australia

Ross Lumayko

Apr 3, 2002, 5:47:14 AM4/3/02
My inlaws brought me back 3 from Southern California, from an Ausie.
They paid $6.00 US, my local lumber supplier is asking $26.00 Canadian
+ tax. I would appreciate any help you can lend me. I am curious as to
the shipping costs. If it were in a smaller lot, it could be sent as a
gift.

Ross

Alberta Canada

Charles Self

Apr 3, 2002, 6:51:57 AM4/3/02
g_pal...@yahoo.com (GP) wrote in message news:<680a4735.02040...@posting.google.com>...

> rwlu...@celanese.com (Ross Lumayko) wrote in message news:<b92afb18.02040...@posting.google.com>...
> > I would like to find a place to purchase Banksia pods, that does not
> > want your first born child. Some vendors are gouging us pretty hard.
> > It would be nice to talk to someone at the source. If a bulk buy is
> > the way to go, lets talk.
> >
> > Ross
> >
> > Alberta Canada
>

> Well, I *could* go to our local park and cut some for you and mail
> them, but I don't know if your Customs/quarantine will be happy - or
> my local council ranger :)
>
> Out of curiosity, how much are you being gouged for them at your
> vendor? Wait! Let me sit down first.....OK, surprise me!

Found one vendor, Choicewoods, selling them for $6.50 each.

Might be worth checking U.S. Customs to save a few bucks if more than
a few are needed.

Mark Harrison

Apr 3, 2002, 6:52:24 AM4/3/02
Hmmmm, $26 (sounds of running to shed for chainsaw)... :-)

I guess that these are from Banksia Serrata which have the bigger pods. I
have some B. Integrifolia blocking my sea view (vrooom, drive by neener)
which I am going to give a haircut in a few weeks to a couple of months. The
flowers grow about 15cm and the dried pods are a little less than that. They
weigh next to nothing dried. The flowers are very pretty (they are flowering
right now) and the birds love them. I've been watching the birds out of my
home office window go at them all day.

I'm not sure how many there are but I expect more than 20.

If you want them, I will gladly keep them for you. Getting them might be the
problem. You will have to tell me how many you want and what problems I
might have getting them to you (customs, quarantine etc. though I'm not
expecting a problem). I don't want to start a diplomatic incident :-)

You just have to pay shipping on receipt (Fedex, UPS or whatever).

BTW, I'm not chopping it down, just a haircut as they grow at about 1.5 m
per year!!!

You can contact me on the e-mail address below. Don't reply directly to this
post at is a fake e-mail address for spammers.

--
Mark Harrison
Sydney, Australia

I apologise for the inconvenience, but if you want to e-mail me the address
is:

markharr at bigpond dot net dot au

This is a self preservation technique due to the volume of junk mail I have
received
in the past.

"Ross Lumayko" <rwlu...@celanese.com> wrote in message
> [...]

charlieb

Apr 3, 2002, 4:34:56 AM4/3/02
Displaying his ignorance, Charlie B asked -" What's a
banksia pod?" Any relation to a Tagua Nut?

--
char...@accesscom.com

Frank McVey

Apr 3, 2002, 1:00:35 PM4/3/02
http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

Medium sized nuts 2.65 UKP

GP

Apr 3, 2002, 7:59:44 PM4/3/02
rwlu...@celanese.com (Ross Lumayko) wrote in message news:<b92afb18.02040...@posting.google.com>...

<gasp>...<thunk> Good job I was sitting down - not so far to fall! I
think Mark Harrison has the right idea - if I was in Sydney I might
have to wrestle him for the chainsaw :) If you can't organise
something with him, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.
I'm sure we could organise a 'care package' of some sort...my email
works, but I don't check it daily.

You don't want to know how many of these trees just got bulldozed for
housing development within walking distance of where I live...

Here's some pretty pictures for CharlieB and those who may be curious
- there is a pod in there somewhere...

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~tdp/proteaceae.html

Cheers,
Greg

geoff....@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2017, 2:18:43 AM1/14/17
Wish I could help,

I work in mine site rehabilitation and Banksia is one of the main species we target for propagation and distribution. We chase hookeriana, attunatta, grossa, leptaphilla, and a number of others. The Dyandra has now been reclassified to Banksia so the Banksia species list is much larger. Our process is to burn the pods to extract the seed so when finished there is no "Fur" only carbon but the seed maintains its size. We chuck our pods as they are no use to us. I might get in touch with a wood turner and see how our burnt pods shape up. Who knows our waste might be someone else's treasure.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

samh...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2017, 6:57:17 PM1/19/17
Yeah Geoff, mate you know we have plans to use those cones in the rehab don't you???

jvdm...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2018, 2:57:58 AM11/7/18
Are you guys still looking to buy panksia pods?

mail4...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 6:00:11 AM2/6/19
On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 5:57:58 PM UTC+10, jvdm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Are you guys still looking to buy panksia pods?

Iʻm looking for some pods if someone can kindly get me some.
Cheers,
Susie

mail4...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2019, 6:02:24 AM2/6/19
P.S Itʻs the large seed pods (Banksia grandis) that I am after

ljvf...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2019, 8:50:23 PM2/16/19
I am looking for Banksia pods

Spalted Walt

Feb 16, 2019, 9:21:11 PM2/16/19
ljvf...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am looking for Banksia pods

https://bit.ly/2S47Nfe

John McGaw

Feb 19, 2019, 10:33:36 AM2/19/19
These folks have always been good suppliers of turner's supplies and tools:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/30/5215/Turners-Choice-Banksia-Pods?term=banksia+pods&term=banksia%20pods