eWoodShop - Hutch End Cabinets 2010

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 12:05:19 PM10/10/11
To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
daughter in a custom home we built:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabinets2010

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Han

Oct 10, 2011, 12:25:31 PM10/10/11
Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote in

> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed
> for the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for
> her daughter in a custom home we built:
>
> <https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabi
nets2010>

Yummy!!

--
Best regards
Han

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 12:48:15 PM10/10/11
On 10/10/2011 11:25 AM, Han wrote:
> Swingman<k...@nospam.com> wrote in
>
>> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed
>> for the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for
>> her daughter in a custom home we built:
>>
>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabi
> nets2010>
>
> Yummy!!

Thanks, Han!

... I've been testing various naming conventions for bringing my old
90's 1.0 website into the 21st century by converting it into a possible
"blog" (plus perhaps more exposure on G+ when it's opened to brands),
and no better place than here, where some more woodworking content,
albeit slightly rehashed, will hopefully not be amiss. :)

Han

Oct 10, 2011, 1:12:46 PM10/10/11

> On 10/10/2011 11:25 AM, Han wrote:
>> Swingman<k...@nospam.com> wrote in
>>
>>> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed
>>> for the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built
>>> for her daughter in a custom home we built:
>>>
>>> <https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEnd
>>> Cabi
>> nets2010>
>>
>> Yummy!!
>

> Thanks, Han!
>
> ... I've been testing various naming conventions for bringing my old
> 90's 1.0 website into the 21st century by converting it into a
> possible "blog" (plus perhaps more exposure on G+ when it's opened to
> brands), and no better place than here, where some more woodworking
> content, albeit slightly rehashed, will hopefully not be amiss. :)

I don't mind being reminded of previously published nice woodworking
stuff. I still need hints at what can be done, how it should be done,
and how it looks ...
I am in the process of constructing a wide (77") and high (32") window
seat with a step in front of ~10" wide and 12" high. The darn thing has
to also be storage and (steam heat) radiator cover. Spouse induced me to
use left-over pieces of particle board and melamine parts of an old
bookcase for the 5 uprights (1 in the middle for support and 2 times 2 to
flank the radiator). There will be cushions on top of the thick pegboard
seat (with pine moldings for support and show). But now I have to find
ways to make the openings for the air circulation presentable, finish the
edges of the uprights, and make doors for the storage compartments, a way
to make the step able to flip up to access storage under it, etc. The
whole thing also needs to be put together in situ at my daughter's, and
it'll be about 7 times too heavy to transport as a single piece.

Larry Jaques

Oct 10, 2011, 1:32:51 PM10/10/11
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:05:19 -0500, Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:

>To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
>the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
>daughter in a custom home we built:
>
>https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabinets2010

Cute. But what's with the concept?
End tables/nightstands for a hutch? Go figure.

P.S: I like the scale. Height and setback are just right.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 1:46:20 PM10/10/11

Check your G+ incoming ... just +'ed you in a post, re: window seats. I
really like the way this guy does them:

https://plus.google.com/photos/104533866656776626661/albums/5660946288796739377/5661293219694938642

There are a number of shots in a row, just keep clicking.

(I don't know whether they will show up to those not on G+, they should
if they've been posted "public")

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 1:52:47 PM10/10/11
On 10/10/2011 12:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:05:19 -0500, Swingman<k...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
>> the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
>> daughter in a custom home we built:
>>
>> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabinets2010
>
> Cute. But what's with the concept?
> End tables/nightstands for a hutch? Go figure.

"Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die..."

Like I've said before, C-Less, I just build'em like they want, don't
color them, don't ask too many questions, just put my head down and
fulfill the contract.

> P.S: I like the scale. Height and setback are just right.

I designed the original, so it damned well better be!

Thanks! Just kidding! :)

Han

Oct 10, 2011, 2:01:59 PM10/10/11

> On 10/10/2011 12:12 PM, Han wrote:
>> Swingman<k...@nospam.com> wrote in

I answered on G+:
Douglas Heffner: That's beautiful work, Douglas, which Karl Caillouet
pointed me too. Since what I am making is per order from my wife largely
from scrap, and it has to fit full-width in a dormer, under a window, and
against a steam radiator, I just want to make it presentable. Eventually
I'll put up some photos ... I'm retired, and have many things on my
plate, so it may be a while!!

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 2:12:08 PM10/10/11

G+ is really turning out to be a cool place for those interested in
woodworking, eh!

:)

</evangelical mode>

SonomaProducts.com

Oct 10, 2011, 3:29:47 PM10/10/11

> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndC...
>
> --www.eWoodShop.com
> Last update: 4/15/2010
> KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Nice work. Ouestion: Do you always put lower cab door knobs ceneterd
at the top rail or was this a request? I need to place some on new
home lower cabs and I was thinking 1/3 down the stile.

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 4:08:00 PM10/10/11

Thank you!

Although this was "by request" in this case, it is also my personal
preference (I always ask).

I've found that on FF cabinet's, and for "knobs" that's where most
people want them, and where most trim carpenters will place them absent
instructions to the contrary, for cabinets in other parts of the house,
bath vanity, etc.

IOW, centered in the square made by the junction of the stile and rail.

On Euro style cabs, since it's often a "pull" rather than a "knob", I
generally center on the top of the door, in line with adjacent drawers
if possible, thusly:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopKitchensInNewConstruction20022011#5661517033539856418

What I like about this approach is that it give you a "clocked" looked,
much "clocking" the screws in a piece of fine woodwork.

This can be a real touchy thing to some clients, with some firm ideas,
so prudence is the better part of valor, and not something I would take
for granted.

--
www.eWoodShop.com

SonomaProducts.com

Oct 10, 2011, 5:23:23 PM10/10/11

> This can be a real touchy thing to some clients, with some firm ideas,
> so prudence is the better part of valor, and not something I would take
> for granted.
>
> --www.eWoodShop.com
> Last update: 4/15/2010
> KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

I've never seen the pulls done that way. I am not a cabinet builder
but spent lots of time in cab shops and of course every home kitchen.
I would find that confusing, looks like hugely deep drawers. Yes, I
would ask first.

Robatoy

Oct 10, 2011, 5:36:01 PM10/10/11
On Oct 10, 12:05 pm, Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:
> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
> the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
> daughter in a custom home we built:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndC...
>
> --www.eWoodShop.com

> Last update: 4/15/2010
> KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

When-the-hell did you have time to do THAT?

NICE!

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 7:01:42 PM10/10/11

Done which way? In that bunch of various kitchen photos, there are
kitchens with many different knob/pull configurations, all done in
accordance with the client's wishes.

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 7:08:59 PM10/10/11

LOL Time? It's there, trying to hide, but can be found.

Larry Jaques

Oct 10, 2011, 8:31:08 PM10/10/11
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:52:47 -0500, Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:

>On 10/10/2011 12:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:05:19 -0500, Swingman<k...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
>>> the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
>>> daughter in a custom home we built:
>>>
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabinets2010
>>
>> Cute. But what's with the concept?
>> End tables/nightstands for a hutch? Go figure.
>
>"Theirs not to reason why,
>Theirs but to do and die..."
>
>Like I've said before, C-Less, I just build'em like they want, don't
>color them, don't ask too many questions, just put my head down and
>fulfill the contract.

So, you have only two 2-word phrases you use with clients, eh?

"Yassah, massah!" and "Pay me!"

>> P.S: I like the scale. Height and setback are just right.
>
>I designed the original, so it damned well better be!
>
>Thanks! Just kidding! :)

;)

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Han

Oct 10, 2011, 8:51:49 PM10/10/11

> G+ is really turning out to be a cool place for those interested in
> woodworking, eh!
>
>:)

And that is a good thing!

tiredofspam

Oct 10, 2011, 9:26:12 PM10/10/11
How do you get in on g+?
Also Karl, what kind of finish did you use for http://tinyurl.com/3jvz33a
It's very well done, applied by hand, or spray?

tiredofspam

Oct 10, 2011, 10:24:53 PM10/10/11
BTW that was 46-50 of the pics at the bottom I was asking about.
Apparently the link doesn't change as you change photos.

Swingman

Oct 10, 2011, 10:50:36 PM10/10/11
On 10/10/2011 8:26 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

> How do you get in on g+?

Sign up for a gmail account, then go to:

https://plus.google.com/ and sign up for G+ there.

It is no longer by invitation and is open to the public, so anyone can
sign up now.

> Also Karl, what kind of finish did you use for http://tinyurl.com/3jvz33a
> It's very well done, applied by hand, or spray?

Those are not my projects, they are another cabinet maker on G+ "Douglas
Heffner".

If/when you sign up, circle me "Karl Caillouet" (or gplus link in sig
below), and I will be glad to share my woodworking "circle" with you to
get you started without having to go through building your own.

Robotoy, -MIKE-, Steve Turner, Leon, Han, and a couple of others who
post here are already first gen G+ users, so you won't be lonely. :)

Leon

Oct 11, 2011, 8:02:06 AM10/11/11
On 10/10/2011 12:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

OK Larry describing some ones hard work and effort as "cute" is gay.
How do I know this, I had a gay neighbor that described my work as cute.
;-) I know you did not intend to be but when you are on the receiving
end it is kind of insulting.

Leon

Oct 11, 2011, 8:07:09 AM10/11/11
On 10/10/2011 11:05 AM, Swingman wrote:
> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
> the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
> daughter in a custom home we built:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabinets2010

Look GREAT!

Remember all the stops oe the way up to Austin or was that the Deer
Blind? ;~)

Larry Jaques

Oct 11, 2011, 9:47:01 AM10/11/11
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:02:06 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 10/10/2011 12:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:05:19 -0500, Swingman<k...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
>>> the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
>>> daughter in a custom home we built:
>>>
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabinets2010
>>
>> Cute. But what's with the concept?
>> End tables/nightstands for a hutch? Go figure.
>>
>> P.S: I like the scale. Height and setback are just right.
>>

>OK Larry describing some ones hard work and effort as "cute" is gay.
>How do I know this, I had a gay neighbor that described my work as cute.
> ;-)

Oh, pleeeeeeeeeeease, Sister. You'll soon have me crying.
Wait a minute, isn't liking an unscary table saw gay, too?
Are you trolling, sweetie? <bseg>

P.S: I'm hetero. Can you confirm that if you go BI that you double
your chances of a date on Saturday night? <wink>

>I know you did not intend to be but when you are on the receiving
>end it is kind of insulting.

Swingy hears it often, after he finishes a job for a female client or
maybe even a guy who's not afraid to acknowledge his feminine side.
Compared to the massive hutch, the little side cubes were "cute" in
comparison. I think he has enough confidence in his fine work that he
doesn't need to hear accolades for every cut he makes in wood, either.

Karl, tell him. You didn't get offended by that "cute" comment, right?

Swingman

Oct 11, 2011, 10:19:24 AM10/11/11
On 10/11/2011 8:47 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

> Karl, tell him. You didn't get offended by that "cute" comment, right?

Not a'tall, C-Less ... Leon was just pulling your leg. He'll do that. :)

Swingman

Oct 11, 2011, 10:23:00 AM10/11/11

LOL I think it was the mother of these two pieces on that particular
trip. Can never have too much rope, or tarp.

I'm about ready for a trip to Taqueria Chihuahua myself.

SonomaProducts.com

Oct 11, 2011, 1:37:07 PM10/11/11
On Oct 10, 4:01 pm, Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 4:23 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
>

> >> This can be a real touchy thing to some clients, with some firm ideas,
> >> so prudence is the better part of valor, and not something I would take
> >> for granted.
>
> >> --www.eWoodShop.com
> >> Last update: 4/15/2010
> >> KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
>
> > I've never seen the pulls done that way. I am not a cabinet builder
> > but spent lots of time in cab shops and of course every home kitchen.
> > I would find that confusing, looks like hugely deep drawers. Yes, I
> > would ask first.
>
> Done which way? In that bunch of various kitchen photos, there are
> kitchens with many different knob/pull configurations, all done in
> accordance with the client's wishes.
>
> --www.eWoodShop.com
> Last update: 4/15/2010
> KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

I just looked at the first pic that came up, a shot of the sink wall
and I see what look like deep drawers under the butcher block top but
I assume are the cabinet doors you spoke of with handles at top of
door set like a drawer

Leon

Oct 11, 2011, 1:46:24 PM10/11/11
On 10/11/2011 8:47 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Larry your are a hoot!

Larry Jaques

Oct 11, 2011, 3:18:01 PM10/11/11
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:46:24 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>Larry your are a hoot!

Jewelcome.

Leon

Oct 11, 2011, 4:27:21 PM10/11/11

I was not at all intending to be mean Larry. Your comment just reminded
me of my "different" neighbor that still lives with his mother.

Larry Jaques

Oct 11, 2011, 5:23:02 PM10/11/11
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:27:21 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>I was not at all intending to be mean Larry. Your comment just reminded
>me of my "different" neighbor that still lives with his mother.

No worries. I'm odd anyway, so that kind of thing doesn't bother me.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Swingman

Oct 11, 2011, 5:54:42 PM10/11/11

> I just looked at the first pic that came up, a shot of the sink wall
> and I see what look like deep drawers under the butcher block top but
> I assume are the cabinet doors you spoke of with handles at top of
> door set like a drawer

The big one at the top (under the butcher block) is a garbage can
pullout, and the rest are drawers.

The only doors on that run are the two under the sink.

Leon

Oct 11, 2011, 6:06:07 PM10/11/11
On 10/11/2011 9:23 AM, Swingman wrote:
> On 10/11/2011 7:07 AM, Leon wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 11:05 AM, Swingman wrote:
>>> To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for
>>> the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her
>>> daughter in a custom home we built:
>>>
>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopHutchEndCabinets2010
>>>

>> Look GREAT!
>>
>> Remember all the stops oe the way up to Austin or was that the Deer
>> Blind? ;~)
>
> LOL I think it was the mother of these two pieces on that particular
> trip. Can never have too much rope, or tarp.

Or duck tape!

> I'm about ready for a trip to Taqueria Chihuahua myself.

I could use a day off, we should drive up there one morning just for
breakfast. ;~)

Larry Jaques

Oct 11, 2011, 10:27:23 PM10/11/11
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:06:07 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 10/11/2011 9:23 AM, Swingman wrote:

>>> Look GREAT!
>>>
>>> Remember all the stops oe the way up to Austin or was that the Deer
>>> Blind? ;~)
>>
>> LOL I think it was the mother of these two pieces on that particular
>> trip. Can never have too much rope, or tarp.
>
>Or duck tape!

Fitting, especially at a duck blind, deer.

>> I'm about ready for a trip to Taqueria Chihuahua myself.
>
>I could use a day off, we should drive up there one morning just for
>breakfast. ;~)

I've been off pork for many a decade now, but when I was partaking, we
used to go down to the little taqueria across town on Sunday mornings
for fresh carnitas tacos, complete with fall-apart pork, chopped fresh
cilantro, and freshly diced serrano chiles on a pair of soft, hot corn
tortillas. MAN, those were good. Hmm...I'm getting hungry for some
of those again. I wonder if any of the Mex restaurants here make 'em.

tiredofspam

Oct 11, 2011, 11:20:06 PM10/11/11
Thanks. will do tomorrow after work.

Leon

Oct 12, 2011, 9:24:09 AM10/12/11
On 10/11/2011 9:27 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:06:07 -0500, Leon<lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:

>>> LOL I think it was the mother of these two pieces on that particular
>>> trip. Can never have too much rope, or tarp.
>>
>> Or duck tape!
>
> Fitting, especially at a duck blind, deer.

Actually an elegant chicken coop with multiple windows and clean out
hatches. Think a hi rise in an upper crust chicken community. ;~)

I kept picturing about 8 "Elmer Fudd" cartoon hunters packed in there
with shot gun barrels poking out in every dirrection, waiting for that
waskelry wabbit.

>>> I'm about ready for a trip to Taqueria Chihuahua myself.
>>
>> I could use a day off, we should drive up there one morning just for
>> breakfast. ;~)
>
> I've been off pork for many a decade now, but when I was partaking, we
> used to go down to the little taqueria across town on Sunday mornings
> for fresh carnitas tacos, complete with fall-apart pork, chopped fresh
> cilantro, and freshly diced serrano chiles on a pair of soft, hot corn
> tortillas. MAN, those were good. Hmm...I'm getting hungry for some
> of those again. I wonder if any of the Mex restaurants here make 'em.

I think the main flavor ingredient in the breakfast tacitos at Taqueria
Chiuahua is charizos. You don't want to know what goes in to making
that. ;~)

Larry Jaques

Oct 12, 2011, 10:41:29 AM10/12/11
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:24:09 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 10/11/2011 9:27 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:06:07 -0500, Leon<lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
>> wrote:

>>> Or duck tape!
>>
>> Fitting, especially at a duck blind, deer.
>
>Actually an elegant chicken coop with multiple windows and clean out
>hatches. Think a hi rise in an upper crust chicken community. ;~)

Tres chic!

>I kept picturing about 8 "Elmer Fudd" cartoon hunters packed in there
>with shot gun barrels poking out in every dirrection, waiting for that
>waskelry wabbit.

Scawwy thought!

>I think the main flavor ingredient in the breakfast tacitos at Taqueria
>Chiuahua is charizos. You don't want to know what goes in to making
>that. ;~)

Right. But it's good. Chorizo & egg burrito. Yum!

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that