watching videos

Electric Comet

Jul 21, 2016, 1:49:28 PM7/21/16

there are some good videos out there

by good i mean that the presenters know what they are doing and are
straight forward

i find the videos useful

but sometimes it is more enjoyable to learn by doing and making
mistakes

have picked up useful tips here and there from videos but nothing
beats just making things and learning as you go

which do you prefer or do you mix it up

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 21, 2016, 5:20:48 PM7/21/16
When I first got into woodworking it was mostly trial and error and a
couple of magazines. The local Woodcraft offered a course for beginners
over a few days. It was a great confidence builder as we made a simple
CD rack that was designed to incorporate re-sawing, jointing, thickness
planing, dado, rabbets, curves, hand planing.

It was a couple of days invested, but knowledge that lasts forever and
I'm not afraid to tackle anything.

An alternative is to move next door to a very experienced woodworker.

Electric Comet

Jul 23, 2016, 11:46:43 AM7/23/16
On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:20:40 -0400
Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.net> wrote:

> When I first got into woodworking it was mostly trial and error and a
> couple of magazines. The local Woodcraft offered a course for

depending on what i am going to do i like trial and error especially
when the errors i make are salvaged into something usable

> beginners over a few days. It was a great confidence builder as we
> made a simple CD rack that was designed to incorporate re-sawing,
> jointing, thickness planing, dado, rabbets, curves, hand planing.
>
> It was a couple of days invested, but knowledge that lasts forever
> and I'm not afraid to tackle anything.

learning by doing even in a class is probably close to doing it with
little to no knowledge

limited tools also can inspire new techniques

that is you get forced into coming up with a different approach