OT - Space Station Sighting Times Based On Location

DerbyDad03

May 28, 2016, 11:40:38 PM5/28/16
This site lists the times that the International Space Station can be seen
from locations all over the world.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm

I've got a 5 minute viewing window coming up in about an hour, so I'm
going to head down to the southern shores of one our Great Lakes and
check it out. It's only about a 2 minute drive. I think I need
to get away from the trees because it's going to be very low in the
sky (10°).

Meanie

May 29, 2016, 6:26:14 AM5/29/16
You can download the Sky View app for your smartphone, aim it in any
direction and the app will move to match the sun, moon, stars,
constellations and other misc objects in motion. It will display path of
the moon, sun and the ISS(as well as any other moving object). You can
click on the object and it will provide you info of what it is.

If you like star gazing, it's a great app to have.

Meanie

May 29, 2016, 6:56:21 AM5/29/16
It's called "Star Guide", not Star View, though, there are others, I
find the SG app the best.

Keith Nuttle

May 29, 2016, 7:19:39 AM5/29/16
On 5/28/2016 11:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You can also find the information at this site

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Keith Nuttle

May 29, 2016, 8:12:27 AM5/29/16
Sorry about the second post. I saw Spotthespace station and did not
realize it was the same NASA site I used.

Brewster

May 29, 2016, 10:57:03 AM5/29/16
Another fun thing to watch for are the Iridium satellites catching the
sun and producing a brief and very bright flare (aka, Iridium flares)

http://www.heavens-above.com

-BR

Swingman

May 29, 2016, 11:47:23 AM5/29/16
Did you see it?

Too much urban light pollution here.
Can barely see a full moon. ;)

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

DerbyDad03

May 29, 2016, 4:06:12 PM5/29/16
On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 11:47:23 AM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
> On 5/28/2016 10:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > This site lists the times that the International Space Station can be seen
> > from locations all over the world.
> >
> > https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm
> >
> > I've got a 5 minute viewing window coming up in about an hour, so I'm
> > going to head down to the southern shores of one our Great Lakes and
> > check it out. It's only about a 2 minute drive. I think I need
> > to get away from the trees because it's going to be very low in the
> > sky (10°).
>
> Did you see it?
>
> Too much urban light pollution here.
> Can barely see a full moon. ;)

No, not last night. Too many clouds, not a star to be seen.

Now that I know how often it can be seen, I'm sure I'll catch it one of these days. I hear it
only takes 92 minutes to orbit the earth, which is why it can be seen every ~1.5 hours once
it gets dark. Damn, that's quick!

Luckily, I can get away from the bright lights in just a few minutes,