2 cams or not to cam

Billy

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Can someone please explain to me the advantages / disadvantages of sails
with cambers and without (esp. for a beginner)? What about more or less
cams. Have been looking for new and used equipment and am just trying to
figure everything out so I don't get screwed with stuff I don't need or that
will hinder my learning (and enjoy) to windsurf.

Thanks,
Billy

helios

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

I can't fully explain you the pros and cons of cams in a message. Various
people will tell you various things. I can only give you a general advice:
as a beginer you MUST chose sails with less cams (no cams at all would be
better).
No cam sails rotate easier, waterstart easier and are generally lighter and
more maneuvrable. This will herp you out to learn most techniques.
Cam sails are "stifer sails" with great advantages in Slalom & Race but I
believe that no beginner can apreciate their advantages.
Furthermore, lately sailmakers tend to experiment, producing no cam sails,
for race and slalom (a strictly cam area until recently).
(If this last sentance confused you, forgive me)
Try to choose light equipment and ....... try as many techniques as u
can!!!!

Rgrds

}{elios
hel...@hol.gr

Steven Swann

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

In my experience, cams are better in gusty winds - they carry through
lulls better. However, if you are inexperienced please do not buy a race
sail thinking that more cams are better. A good twin cam (eg. North Pyro)
will have most of the benefits of race sails (which can have up to 6 or 7
cams), but few of the vices - such as stiff rotation, poor "luffability".
Also, look for a sail with a narrow luff sleeve. I guess it depends on
your focus (waves or flat water) and the quality of wind at your
location. If the wind is constant and you favour waves eventually, go for
camless. Otherwise, twin cams are usually very good compromise sails.

Good luck

SS.

Jim Titus

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

In addition to what the other people said, you might want to consider
that the highest proprity for cambers may be your monster sail. If you
are in an area with typically light summer winds, you will need a sail
on the order of 8 to 8.5 square meters so you can plane at 8-9kt. Those
sails can be pretty unwieldy, however, when even a modest (e.g. 13-15kt)
gust comes unless they have some cambers. I could be wrong, but I think
that my monster cambered sail also allows me to plane with about 1 kt
less wind also; but the security of not getting thrown all over the
place if the wind pics up is what I really like. With all the cambers,
I can use the 8.5 until there is enough wind to shift to 6.5--and even
then I can sail back to shore without too much discomfort. But I am in
shallow waters--I don't know how I'd feel about waterstarting it in deep
water.

Jim

Rob Darman

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Usenet is not the World Wide web. PLEASE set your software up to send
messages in plain text not HTML!!!!!!!!!!

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:28:57 +0100, John Massey <sj.m...@virgin.net>
wrote:

>HTML>
>When at the 'just started planing stage' I went to a reliable dealer to
>get a
><BR>sail - we deliberated long and hard over suitable cams and there's
>no
><BR>easy answer. However, I'd whole-heartedly recommend that someone
><BR>at that level gets a twin cam, for two reasons:
><BR>&nbsp; i) You'll probably have learned thus far on a rotational - to
>experience
><BR>something new - OK not a race sail - will broaden your experience.
>I loved the
><BR>new 'feel' of a cammed sail and 2 cams are not a major impediment
><BR>to manoeuvrability. It was fun coming to terms with it.
><BR>&nbsp; ii) What you need now is to enjoy the thrill of dealing with
>higher winds
><BR>&nbsp; - a twin cam will help with this, giving you confidence and
>stability at speed.
>
><P>You may end up doing what i did - blasting around on a twin cam and
>having
><BR>the best summer of my life, and then returning to a rotational to learn
>waterstarts
><BR>and high-speed gybing.
>
><P>This is not gospel, and probably goes against the manual but it worked
><BR>for me. Get advice on your local conditions and your ability but
><BR>don't let the current 'no-cam' large sail craze put you of learning
>with a
><BR>suitable twin.
><BR>&nbsp;
><BR>&nbsp;
><BR>&nbsp;
><BR>&nbsp;
><BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

Please remove ".no" and ".spam" to reply