ATMs - how many digits in the PIN?

r daggett

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

On rec.travel.europe there have been messages about Americans having to
get special 4-digit PINs in order to use ATMs over here.
Anyone know if that means my 4-digit PIN (for a 'Cirrus'/'Maestro' card)
wont work in an ATM in Canada?
Replies to e-mail as well as group appreciated as this newshost often
seem to miss things.
--
Rita Daggett (remove nospam for reply)

Don Morgan

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

4-digit PINs are standard here in Canada and I've used my PIN in Britain
(only worked with VISA cash advance though, not other accounts) and the US
(worked same as in Canada)

David Hatunen

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

In article <350F97...@open.ac.uk.nospam>,

r daggett <r.m.d...@open.ac.uk.nospam> wrote:
>On rec.travel.europe there have been messages about Americans having to
>get special 4-digit PINs in order to use ATMs over here.
>Anyone know if that means my 4-digit PIN (for a 'Cirrus'/'Maestro' card)
>wont work in an ATM in Canada?

There's nothing 'special' about a 4-digit PIN. And mine works all
over Europe and the USA; I can't conceive of a reason why it
wouldn't also do so in Canada.

--
*********** DAVE HATUNEN (hat...@wco.com) ************
* Daly City California: *

Doug Hubatsch

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

> 4-digit PINs are standard here in Canada

4-digit PINS are not standard. Most banks let you choose your pin and it
can be more digits...

Doug

R. Ko

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

r daggett wrote:

> On rec.travel.europe there have been messages about Americans having to
> get special 4-digit PINs in order to use ATMs over here.
> Anyone know if that means my 4-digit PIN (for a 'Cirrus'/'Maestro' card)
> wont work in an ATM in Canada?
> Replies to e-mail as well as group appreciated as this newshost often
> seem to miss things.
> --
> Rita Daggett (remove nospam for reply)

I used to have a 4-digit PIN. But, before going to Paris, I asked my
bank (Wells Fargo, California) and was told that I need to have 5-digit
PIN to use my ATM over there. So, I switched, and the card worked in
Paris(Cirrus network).

I kept the PIN after coming back, so I still use 5-digit over here.

Hope this helps.

-raphael
==========
Please, remove <DELETHIS.GOV> from the address before replying.

Bob & Sue B.

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

It'll work great! It's the best way to get money in Canada and the easiest!
We just walked into the bank, put it in did our code, and out came the
money. Then when I got home, they had only taken out $150 rather than the
$200 I had spent! Cool!
Sue from Oregon
David Hatunen wrote in message <6eoq2f$7b5$3...@news.ncal.verio.com>...
>In article <350F97...@open.ac.uk.nospam>,

>r daggett <r.m.d...@open.ac.uk.nospam> wrote:
>>On rec.travel.europe there have been messages about Americans having to
>>get special 4-digit PINs in order to use ATMs over here.
>>Anyone know if that means my 4-digit PIN (for a 'Cirrus'/'Maestro' card)
>>wont work in an ATM in Canada?

David Hatunen

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

In article <351035...@kvx.comDELETETHIS.GOV>,
R. Ko <rhk....@kvx.comDELETETHIS.GOV> wrote:

>r daggett wrote:
>>
>> On rec.travel.europe there have been messages about Americans having to
>> get special 4-digit PINs in order to use ATMs over here.
>> Anyone know if that means my 4-digit PIN (for a 'Cirrus'/'Maestro' card)
>> wont work in an ATM in Canada?
>> Replies to e-mail as well as group appreciated as this newshost often
>> seem to miss things.
>> --
>> Rita Daggett (remove nospam for reply)
>
>I used to have a 4-digit PIN. But, before going to Paris, I asked my
>bank (Wells Fargo, California) and was told that I need to have 5-digit
>PIN to use my ATM over there. So, I switched, and the card worked in
>Paris(Cirrus network).

I am a Wells Fargo customer with a 4-digit PIN for my Express Card
(Cirrus), and I can assure you it has worked fine all over Europe.
Well, it's worked in England, Paris, Copenhagen, Stockholm and
Finland, anyway.

Peter L

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

Our bank told us that if we want to use our ATM cards in Europe or Asia
we'd better use a 4 digit code. I have used my ATM in Canada without
problem with a 6 digit code.

Steve Richardson

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

David Hatunen (hatunen@shell.) wrote:

: There's nothing 'special' about a 4-digit PIN. And mine works all

: over Europe and the USA; I can't conceive of a reason why it
: wouldn't also do so in Canada.

All my ATM cards have four digit pins, and I've used them all over Europe,
Mexico, Australia, Canada, and of course, here in the states.

If I use it overseas or in another country, it just spits out local
currency at a very good exchange rate :)

Regards,

Steve

John Cletheroe

Mar 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/21/98

Has anyone had any problems using cards issued in the UK with 4-digit
PIN numbers in ATM's in the USA or Canada?

John

Joe

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

I was in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Europe from November 1995 to
January 1996. I had problems about half the time I wanted to use an ATM
machine. Luxembourg was the worst as I tried at least eight machines
before I found one that would allow me to use its services.

My PIN had four digits but I don't know if that was the problem or if I was
attempting to use the wrong ATM network.

Joe

Paul Cox

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

On 18 Mar 1998 16:30:19 GMT, "Doug Hubatsch"
<Doug.H...@nospam.arcm.ca.astra.com> wrote:

Actually, this depends on your bank. With Key Bank, US Bank, First
Interstate Bank, and the First National Bank of Enumclaw (national,
regional, regional, and small local bank, respectively) each time I
was given a 4 digit PIN. 3 of the 4 gave me the option of picking my
own but it had to be 4 digits.

Paul

Mark Panitz

Mar 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/22/98

In a previous article, r.m.d...@open.ac.uk.nospam (r daggett) says:

>On rec.travel.europe there have been messages about Americans having to
>get special 4-digit PINs in order to use ATMs over here.
>Anyone know if that means my 4-digit PIN (for a 'Cirrus'/'Maestro' card)
>wont work in an ATM in Canada?
>Replies to e-mail as well as group appreciated as this newshost often
>seem to miss things.
>--
>Rita Daggett (remove nospam for reply)

I think what they mean that most ATM in other countries
dont have the letters listed on the atm pad
most people here usually use a word as pin code
oversea you just have to remember the numbers not the word
thats probally what they mean special code.
--
As Per US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,Subchapter II 227
Unsolicited [JUNK MAIL] commercial advertising is NOT Welcome here

Michel Gagnon

Mar 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/23/98

r daggett <r.m.d...@open.ac.uk.nospam> wrote:

> On rec.travel.europe there have been messages about Americans having to
> get special 4-digit PINs in order to use ATMs over here.
> Anyone know if that means my 4-digit PIN (for a 'Cirrus'/'Maestro' card)
> wont work in an ATM in Canada?
> Replies to e-mail as well as group appreciated as this newshost often
> seem to miss things.

My banks all have 4-digit numbers, but one of them offers 4, 5 or 6
digits (your choice). I know that Desjardins (in Québec) uses only a
5-digit number (unless they recently changed), and I am aware some of
their customers had problems in Europe because the ATM stopped accepting
digits after the fourth one. I don't think the problem exists anymore
and I don't think foreigners would have a problem using their card here.

Let's say that when I use my card into another bank's machine, it asks
me to press Enter when I am finished with my personal number, so there
is theoretically no limit on how much or how few digits I enter.

--
Michel Gagnon -- Montréal (Québec, Canada)
Michel...@videotron.ca