Looking for Train Information In Italy

jtc

Jun 26, 2009, 2:55:11 PM6/26/09
I have not been on this site in awhile but need to have a question
asnwered from all the "smart" folks who do post often.
I have a friend who will be cruising on the HAL Noordam and docking in
Cittevechia on October 6th, 2009 at 7AM.
She and her husband would like to take a train from the port to
Termini in Rome...they cannot leave til after 10:30AM they believe at
the earliest. from Termini they would like to go first class to Venice
on a first class ticket for two, with luggage, probably no earlier
than 12:30PM. Do you think there might be a direct express train from
the port to Venice...???
Any suggestions and help appreciated... Once they have some ideas of
train times they most likely could book this online with Trenitalia
but right now they have no idea how to do that etc.
Thanks

--
jtc
jtam...@yahoo.com

BartC

Jun 26, 2009, 8:37:54 PM6/26/09

The www.trenitalia.it site will give train times as well as booking tickets,
so I'm not sure what the problem is. (You might need to enter Civitavecchia
to Venezia.)

It's about a 6-hour trip via Roma Termini.

--
Bart

jtc

Jun 27, 2009, 4:10:29 PM6/27/09
Thanks, I looked at all of that and why can you only make that trip
reservation in Italy...
It looks like it takes you to Termini and then back to Venice with
stops in Florence, Bologna and Padua.
The length of time will not be an issue.
--
jtc
jtam...@yahoo.com
"BartC" <ba...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

youtubesneak

Jun 28, 2009, 11:12:24 AM6/28/09
On Jun 27, 10:10 pm, "jtc" <jtamc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I looked at all of that and why can you only make that trip
> reservation in Italy...
> It looks like it takes you to Termini and then back to Venice with
> stops in Florence, Bologna and Padua.
> The length of time will not be an issue.
> --
> jtc

It seems that that trip cannot be reserved online more than 2 months
in advance, even from inside Italy. For example, 27 August is the
latest available today (28 June).
--
youtubesneak

Giovanni Drogo

Jun 29, 2009, 9:17:27 AM6/29/09
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, jtc wrote:

> I have a friend who will be cruising on the HAL Noordam and docking in
> Cittevechia on October 6th, 2009 at 7AM.

Civitavecchia I suppose

> Do you think there might be a direct express train from the port to
> Venice...???

"express" and "direct" are obsolete names in Trenitalia terminology :-)
Now they have things like Eurostar AV, Eurostar, Eurostar City,
Intercity Plus ... and Regionale :-(

Now, being serious, no, there will not be any through train (with no
change) from Civitavecchia to Venice. Simply there is no request for
such a route.

Although the most obvious route may seem the one north along the coast
to at least Grosseto, then reaching Firenze (Florence) and then catching
some high speed train to Venice from there, it will be faster to go
"backwards" to Rome and catch an high speed train to Venice in Rome.

> She and her husband would like to take a train from the port to
> Termini in Rome...they cannot leave til after 10:30AM they believe at
> the earliest. from Termini they would like to go first class to Venice
> on a first class ticket for two, with luggage, probably no earlier
> than 12:30PM.

I use this German planner for itineraries everywhere in Europe
http://home.arcor.de/e.lauterbach/auskunft/fplanx-en.html

For instance it shows me this connection
ES 9789 + ES 9474 (dep. Civitavecchia 11:15, about 1 hr for change in
Rome, arrives Venezia SL 17:17)

ES are high speed trains, compulsory reservation (you can reserve even
on the same day at the station).

You can check the fares on trenitalia's site. Judge yourself whether it
is worth travelling first class (only advantage will be seats arranged
as 2+1 instead of 2+2).

There is no such thing as a ticket "with luggage". You carry your own
luggage, and stow it, according to volume and weigth, in overhead racks,
in space between seat backs, or in racks at the end of the cars.

nos...@mi.iasf.cnr.it is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Giovanni Drogo

Jun 29, 2009, 9:19:35 AM6/29/09
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, youtubesneak wrote:

> It seems that that trip cannot be reserved online more than 2 months
> in advance, even from inside Italy.

That's standard. Even at a station counter.
Compulsory reservation (and Trenitalia recent insistence on that) is
more a nuisance than anything else.

jtc

Jun 29, 2009, 2:51:08 PM6/29/09
thanks...for your help