Cruise Ships Financially Exploit Onshore Stores

Go Fig

May 21, 2012, 10:13:20 PM5/21/12
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nicole-glass/cruise-ships-financially-_b_1531590.html

Cruise Ships Financially Exploit Onshore Stores

A flock of three thousand tourists spill out of a cruise ship,
dispersing into Belize City, following a map given to them by the
industry that owns the port, the shops, and the economy. The
passengers are on a mission -- a mission to find the largest diamond,
a cheap designer watch, or a souvenir that represents the culture of
their "exotic" destination.

Convinced that the stores on their easy-to-follow map will lead them
to the greatest onshore deals, the eager tourists are unaware that the
cruise line's recommendations are driven solely by profit. They are
unaware that the maps are leading them to stores whose revenue goes
straight back to the ship. Their seemingly-cultural onshore excursions
are a product of the more than half a billion dollars their cruise
line pays on advertising each year. With shopping bags in hand, the
suntanned Caribbean vacationers return to the ship that their wallets
never parted from.

Before cruise passengers go onshore to one of their ship's
destinations, they are given shopping lectures and store maps with the
industry's recommendations for the best deals and the highest quality
products. But what the passengers aren't told is that these stores
have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual fees to be
listed. Additionally, these businesses are required to pay the cruise
lines a percent of their revenue made from cruise passengers.
Customers are asked whether they came from a cruise ship, and their
cruise line's name is then printed on the receipt, used later to
calculate how much is owed to the cruise line.

Ross Klein, an expert on the cruise industry and owner of the site
cruisejunkie.com, has studied corruption in the industry for decades.
He was blacklisted from all cruise ships after years of research, and
now relies on information from other reporters to continue his
investigation. Klein witnessed the early stages of the port shopping
programs in the 1970s, when cruise directors personally collected cash
from onshore stores in return for bringing passengers.

"The cruise director would develop a relationship with the stores in
port, would advertise the stores on the ship and then at the end of
the cruise, you could watch the cruise director go into the stores and
collect their commissions for the sales from the passengers from the
ship," Klein said.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s, companies including Onboard Media
and the PPI Group took this idea and turned it into a business, Klein
said. They created port shopping programs, complete with onboard
shopping lectures, advertising, catalogs and store maps. To be
included in these shopping programs, stores have to pay the companies,
who then pay the cruise lines.

While the Caribbean may draw the most money out of "local" shops, this
cruise ship business tactic is widespread. Distinctive Gemstones, a
small store in Skagway, Alaska, was told by Onboard Media in 2001 that
it would have to pay $20,000 per year to be a recommended store
listing by the company's cruise lines. Skagway, a population 862 small
town that was once a popular Gold Rush destination, is the 16th most
visited cruise destination in the world with nearly 450 cruise calls
and 750,000 visitors each year.

But stores who refuse to pay cruise lines to be included in their port
shopping programs often lose customers to those who can afford the
advertising fees. In a small Alaskan town whose economy relies on
tourism, this can be financially devastating for the businesses that
opt out of participating. Skagway storeowner Eileen Hunter said
without cruise line advertising, her art store, which is difficult to
find, would have no business.

"People are very influenced by what they hear on board," Skagway
resident and former Princess cruise ship employee Allison Wilson told
the Associated Press. "I fought against it on board. There's no
discrimination. They don't pick the best stores. They pick the stores
that will pay the money."

These recommended listings have not been proven to sell higher quality
products than any other stores. Carol Wilkins visited St. Maarten in
2008 and found better deals at onshore stores that her cruise line did
not advertise.

"Once I abandoned shopping at the 'approved' locations, I found true
deals," she said. "Another thing you will not hear from the cruise
shopping director is that the stores who are on the 'approved' list
are higher priced and less likely to give you deals."

Skagway City Manager Bob Ward wrote a letter to a Norwegian cruise
line in 1998, stating his opposition to the port shopping program
which had not yet been implemented in his Alaskan town. The program
was misleading, he said, because it causes passengers to assume the
recommendations were selected on the basis of quality and price.

Although cruise line passengers may be vital for the industries of
small towns like Skagway, the amount of money the cruise lines demand
is alarming. Stores at several Alaskan ports told Klein that in
addition to the annual membership fee, stores paid cruise lines about
40 percent of their gross receipt from cruise passengers. Klein
calculated that if the stores keep 60 percent of the gross receipt and
40 percent of this goes to the cost of the products, stores only make
a profit of 20 percent of the revenue -- half of the amount that the
cruise lines keep.

"They're not earning as much as they rightfully should, but they're
certainly making a small amount," Klein said. "The issue from the
cruise passenger perspective is the lack of awareness that part of
what they're spending at the store is going back to the cruise line."

The numbers in Alaska may sound high, but those in the Caribbean are
higher.

"We don't gouge people like in the Caribbean," said Onboard Media
representative David Mardini, who advertises port shopping programs.
The extent of this "gouging" is unknown, but given the larger number
of tourists in countries with fewer financial regulations, the numbers
must be significant.

A Royal Caribbean map of Cabo San Lucas lists several retailers as
part of its port shopping program. Among them are Diamonds
International, Tanzanite International, Milano Diamond Gallery and
other diamond, watch and jewelry retailers - large corporations whose
incomes are greater than small jewelry shops in Alaska.

Mardini said the annual flat rate that cruise lines charge stores is
dependent upon how much each store typically earns. Given the expense
of diamonds and watches, cruise lines are likely charging the stores
higher annual listing fees and making larger sums of money from stores
whose items are so costly.

And while other tourist-driven business -- like hotels -- are often
known to overcharge their guests and local tour groups in similar
ways, it's the cruise lines that pay little to no taxes. Sixty percent
of cruise ships are registered in either the Bahamas, Panama, or
Liberia -- countries who do not charge them income taxes or require
them to abide by national labor laws.

Rather than following a map of "recommended" stores, passengers may
find better deals exploring stores on their own.

Follow Nicole Glass on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NicoleSGlass

unfrostedpoptart

May 23, 2012, 3:18:03 PM5/23/12
On Monday, May 21, 2012 7:13:20 PM UTC-7, Go Fig wrote:
> Convinced that the stores on their easy-to-follow map will lead them
> to the greatest onshore deals, the eager tourists are unaware that the
> cruise line's recommendations are driven solely by profit. They are
> unaware that the maps are leading them to stores whose revenue goes
> straight back to the ship.
>
> Before cruise passengers go onshore to one of their ship's
> destinations, they are given shopping lectures and store maps with the
> industry's recommendations for the best deals and the highest quality
> products. But what the passengers aren't told is that these stores
> have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual fees to be
> listed.

What a crock! First of all, all the people going to these lectures on the cruise to find the best places to shop and taking cruises to find amazing deals from "poor countries" are fools to start with. And, if they don't know that the person giving the lecture and handing out the maps isn't sending them to a store they're in business with, they have the IQs of turnips and deserve everything they get.

David

Jr.

May 24, 2012, 2:43:34 PM5/24/12

"unfrostedpoptart" wrote in message
We went to a store in St. Thomas looking for a specific Movado watch that my
wife saw online and wanted to buy.
Of course, the shopping guide told us to go to Diamonds International for
the best price.
We always shop around and wound up purchasing the watch for 15% less at
Little Switzerland.
We saw the shopping guide downtown in St. Thomas and mentioned it to him.
He said that was not possible. We pulled out the receipt and walked into DI
with him to prove it.
Funny part is Little Switzerland was also on the shoppers list that he
handed out.
Cannot figure out why he was angry we found a better bargain.

On our last cruise we felt the shopper was the worst we have had in years.
She didn't even know
that 90% of the stores in Aruba were closed due to a national holiday. She
told us they would ALL be open until at least noon.

When we went to the Belgian Chocolate store in St. Thomas we asked the owner
of the store why her store was no longer
listed in the ship's shopping guide and the one in St. Maartin (which was
far inferior and recommended by the shopper) was.
The owner said she was supposed to be in the guide since she was paying for
the mention. I gave her the guide and she said
she was going to look into it.

We have stopped going to the shopping presentation because we have now
cruised enough times to shop on our own. There is
unfortunately, more misinformation given out at these things than good
information.

Kurt Ullman

May 25, 2012, 8:54:25 AM5/25/12
In article <jplvgo$58u$1...@dont-email.me>, "Jr." <som...@email.com>
wrote:

> "unfrostedpoptart" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, May 21, 2012 7:13:20 PM UTC-7, Go Fig wrote:
> > Convinced that the stores on their easy-to-follow map will lead them
> > to the greatest onshore deals, the eager tourists are unaware that the
> > cruise line's recommendations are driven solely by profit. They are
> > unaware that the maps are leading them to stores whose revenue goes
> > straight back to the ship.
> >
> > Before cruise passengers go onshore to one of their ship's
> > destinations, they are given shopping lectures and store maps with the
> > industry's recommendations for the best deals and the highest quality
> > products. But what the passengers aren't told is that these stores
> > have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual fees to be
> > listed.
>
> What a crock! First of all, all the people going to these lectures on the
> cruise to find the best places to shop and taking cruises to find amazing
> deals from "poor countries" are fools to start with. And, if they don't know
> that the person giving the lecture and handing out the maps isn't sending
> them to a store they're in business with, they have the IQs of turnips and
> deserve everything they get.

I'll be impressed with this argument when people start getting upset
about newspaper advertising supplements or, even more on point, radio
personalities showing up at car dealers, etc. Why are cruise ships the
only ones who can't take advertising?

> Funny part is Little Switzerland was also on the shoppers list that he
> handed out.
> Cannot figure out why he was angry we found a better bargain.

Maybe at Little Switzerland for bushwhacking him like that???

Bill

May 25, 2012, 5:39:48 PM5/25/12
On 5/25/2012 8:54 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

> I'll be impressed with this argument when people start getting upset
> about newspaper advertising supplements or, even more on point, radio
> personalities showing up at car dealers, etc. Why are cruise ships the
> only ones who can't take advertising?

They're not presented as advertising. When you get an advertising
supplement in your newspaper, it specifically says that it is
advertising and may even say that on each page. Where does it say that
on the maps that the cruise lines hand out? Where is the disclaimer at
the start of the shopping talks?

Bill

Janet Wilder

May 25, 2012, 7:39:57 PM5/25/12
None. Bill is correct. The cruise ship "shopping experts" treat their
information as though it's been researched and proven and never do they
*EVER* tell the pax that they are shilling for shops that pay them for
the recommendation.

Ever look at the lighting in one of those Diamonds International shops?
It's specially made to make their gems appear clearer and brighter
than they really are. Never buy anything from one of those port stores
without taking it outside and looking at in natural light.

Don't believe me? I have a bargain diamond tennis bracelet that was
gorgeous in the store and looks like gray dirt in every other light.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Charles

May 26, 2012, 6:59:39 AM5/26/12
I agree with you and Bill about the cruise ship '"shopping experts" and
their role.

As for the lighting at Diamond International, jewelry shops anywhere will
have that lighting that is made for jewelry stores to make the gems look
good and entice you to buy. It is not just at Diamonds International.

--
Charles

Dick G in Cherry Hill, NJ

May 26, 2012, 9:32:34 AM5/26/12
On May 26, 6:59 am, Charles <f...@his.com.remove.invalid> wrote:

> I agree with you and Bill about the cruise ship '"shopping experts" and
> their role.
>
> Charles

It has been almost six years since I last posted here although I have
always lurked.

Back in 1967 my wife and I took the first of 4 Italian Line cruises.
We were in St. Thomas shopping when we noticed one of the ship's
officers was also there. We were shocked when we heard him ask the
clerk for "his envelope", but that day we learned the hard facts about
the endorsements that are given during the "informational chats" that
precede every port of call.

Dick G in Cherry Hill, NJ

gmbe...@mindspring.com

May 28, 2012, 9:42:50 AM5/28/12
On Wed, 23 May 2012 12:18:03 -0700 (PDT), unfrostedpoptart
<da...@therogoffs.com> wrote:

>On Monday, May 21, 2012 7:13:20 PM UTC-7, Go Fig wrote:
>> Convinced that the stores on their easy-to-follow map will lead them
>> to the greatest onshore deals, the eager tourists are unaware that the
>> cruise line's recommendations are driven solely by profit. They are
>> unaware that the maps are leading them to stores whose revenue goes
>> straight back to the ship.
>>
>> Before cruise passengers go onshore to one of their ship's
>> destinations, they are given shopping lectures and store maps with the
>> industry's recommendations for the best deals and the highest quality
>> products. But what the passengers aren't told is that these stores
>> have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual fees to be
>> listed.

If the people were paying attention (or weren't so greedy), or if they
had ever been to a cruise ship destination like Cozumel when they were
not on a cruise, this wouldn't be a surprise to them. It's no worse
than those art auctions.

Cruise Crazy

May 28, 2012, 11:16:10 AM5/28/12
"You can fool all of the people some of the time. You can fool some of
the people all of the time. You can't fool all of the people all of the
time."

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

~~Doris~~

Cruise Crazy

May 28, 2012, 11:19:05 AM5/28/12
Good to see you back Dick!
~Doris~>In Spring Hill FL

Bill

May 28, 2012, 11:45:28 AM5/28/12
On 5/28/2012 9:42 AM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:

> If the people were paying attention (or weren't so greedy), or if they
> had ever been to a cruise ship destination like Cozumel when they were
> not on a cruise, this wouldn't be a surprise to them. It's no worse
> than those art auctions.

What would they have heard if they were paying attention? Would they
have heard the shopping guide saying "All these places have paid the
cruise line to be included in this program and our map"? And are you
saying that if you haven't been to Cozumel before, it's OK if you get
ripped off? And what does greed have to do with it?

I was on a Celebrity cruise a few months ago and there was no art
auction. I kind of missed it, if only for the entertainment value of
seeing other people bidding.

Orval Fairbairn

May 28, 2012, 1:44:40 PM5/28/12
In article <3107s71nglluba1un...@4ax.com>,
It seems that every big cruise ship terminal in the Caribbean has a
Diamonds International and a few other regularly-encountered stores.
Does CCL own these stores?

Charles

May 28, 2012, 3:31:41 PM5/28/12
Orval Fairbairn <orfai...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> In article <3107s71nglluba1un...@4ax.com>,

> It seems that every big cruise ship terminal in the Caribbean has a
> Diamonds International and a few other regularly-encountered stores.
> Does CCL own these stores?

Not just the Caribbean! The same stores are in the Alaskan ports.
Disgusting to get to the small Alaskan towns like Skagway and see these
vultures who prey off of cruise passengers in most of the storefronts.

--
Charles

Janet Wilder

May 28, 2012, 3:56:58 PM5/28/12
Those stores have ruined Alaska and the Caribbean. I remember stopping
at some of the Caribbean Islands in the late 80's and early 90's and
they were wonderful. Now they are little more than water sports and
shopping centers. Sad.

Bill

May 28, 2012, 8:07:09 PM5/28/12
On 5/28/2012 3:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Those stores have ruined Alaska and the Caribbean. I remember stopping
> at some of the Caribbean Islands in the late 80's and early 90's and
> they were wonderful. Now they are little more than water sports and
> shopping centers. Sad.

We were in St. Croix on Celebrity Silhouette in December and it was
fairly undeveloped in the pier area. The big chains (whatever there is)
were in a city that was a good distance from the pier. I guess they do
not get enough ships to justify building a DI and the related chains.

Ermalee McCauley

May 28, 2012, 10:28:14 PM5/28/12
I remember you, Dick. I still peek in here occasionally.

Ermalee

Dick G in Cherry Hill, NJ

May 29, 2012, 8:14:31 AM5/29/12
Ermalee and Doris,

I am aware that because there was a lot of fake posting that went on
here many of the "regulars" here have gone to a better place. I
emailed Jean using the address that she used when I was a part of her
mailing list but she never responded.

Since I am no longer cruising it wasn't important, but since there is
not a lot of news here, and much of it is not trustworthy, if you know
what I mean, I would like to join in even if only as a reader. You
never know if there just might be something I learned over 35 years of
cruising that I could pass along.

Dick

gmbe...@mindspring.com

May 29, 2012, 10:08:52 AM5/29/12
On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:45:28 -0400, Bill <bill...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>On 5/28/2012 9:42 AM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:
>>
>> If the people were paying attention (or weren't so greedy), or if they
>> had ever been to a cruise ship destination like Cozumel when they were
>> not on a cruise, this wouldn't be a surprise to them. It's no worse
>> than those art auctions.
>
>What would they have heard if they were paying attention? Would they
>have heard the shopping guide saying "All these places have paid the
>cruise line to be included in this program and our map"? And are you
>saying that if you haven't been to Cozumel before, it's OK if you get
>ripped off? And what does greed have to do with it?

I guess I am just cynical. But I talk to local people and they will
freely tell me what the deal is.

Everyone who cruises says - don't take the ship tours, you can do it
more cheaply on your own (which is true in a lot of cases). The
reason for that is that the tour companies pay the cruise lines so
that they can have the privilege of doing the tours. When I talk to
the tour guides, they tell me all about it.

In Ketchikan and other Alaskan ports, the guides emphasized what
stores were local - Alaskans resent those Diamond International people
who come for the season and then leave. The Caribbean folks are more
resigned about it so you may not hear as much from them.

The shopping stuff is the same. If you think about it - why would the
ship want to steer you to certain stores if there is nothing it in for
them? If they don't get a kickback - why bother? It isn't just
altrustism on their part. They cover it up with the business about
the recommended stores being guaranteed but that's a smoke screen for
the real reason..

Cozumel is just an example - St Thomas would be the same or any of the
cruise ship ports. In Cozumel when I went into a store they wanted to
know right up front what ship I was from. Why would they ask that?
They aren't just being friendly.

The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
might think a little more about it.

When I shop, I almost never shop at the 'recommended' shops, and I
don't believe in buying expensive high-end items on a cruise. I see
no point in buying electronics or cameras in the Caribbean. I buy
locally produced items as much as possible - the kinds of things I
can't get from a catalog or an internet store.
\

Ermalee McCauley

May 29, 2012, 1:37:43 PM5/29/12
Dick, are you on Facebook? If not, you can't get the new group.

Ermalee

Carol Eskra

May 29, 2012, 3:42:55 PM5/29/12
I was on a cruise with a friend and she purchased a 34 ct. tanzanite.
She paid 17K for it and had it appraised for considerably more here in
the states. It truly is beautiful! D.I. also owns Tanzanite Int'l. I
also purchased a 7 ct. tanzanite ring surrounded by diamonds at D.I.
Very happy with my purchase and I got a great deal and also they take
trades, which worked out to my advantage!

Brian

May 29, 2012, 5:21:14 PM5/29/12
On Tue, 29 May 2012 13:37:43 -0400, Ermalee McCauley
<ehm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Dick, are you on Facebook? If not, you can't get the new group.
>
>Ermalee

There's a FB group? Is that where people went? Cruise Critic is too
involved for me just to browse.

Janet Wilder

May 29, 2012, 5:30:32 PM5/29/12
There is a new generation of this group on Facebook.

Dick G in Cherry Hill, NJ

May 29, 2012, 6:05:18 PM5/29/12
On May 29, 1:37 pm, Ermalee McCauley <ehm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dick, are you on Facebook?  If not, you can't get the new group.
>
> Ermalee

I am, Ermalee, but under a different name, and I really never use it.
It's really sad that in order to freely discuss something that we all
love we have to sneak around like this.

Dick

Bill

May 30, 2012, 1:59:34 AM5/30/12
On 5/29/2012 10:08 AM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:

> The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
> trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
> for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
> might think a little more about it.

It's not greed, it's good old fashioned bargain hunting and wanting to
get the best deal possible. And it's become more popular of late with
the problems with the economy.

If you enjoy walking into a store and paying the regular price on the
tag, more power to you. It's people like you who allow those of us who
are price conscious to save money.

RayC

May 30, 2012, 5:16:35 AM5/30/12
On 5/28/2012 10:44 AM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
> It seems that every big cruise ship terminal in the Caribbean has a
> Diamonds International and a few other regularly-encountered stores.
> Does CCL own these stores?

No ... DI just has a very smart marketing plan ... put a store every
where in the Caribbean that the cruise ships stop and pray on the people
that are having too good of a time to spend wisely.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Jr.

May 30, 2012, 9:43:52 AM5/30/12

On 5/28/2012 3:56 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Those stores have ruined Alaska and the Caribbean. I remember stopping
> at some of the Caribbean Islands in the late 80's and early 90's and
> they were wonderful. Now they are little more than water sports and
> shopping centers. Sad.

The only reason the Caribbean went this route is because the cruisers
wanted it. A shrewd businessperson does what the public wants. Cruisers
go to the Caribbean because they think they are going to make a killing on
cheap diamonds, emeralds and watches. This is what the Caribbean has become
known for. They are just doing what we cruisers are demanding.

Brian

May 30, 2012, 8:33:11 PM5/30/12
On Tue, 29 May 2012 16:30:32 -0500, Janet Wilder
<kellie...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 5/29/2012 4:21 PM, Brian wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 May 2012 13:37:43 -0400, Ermalee McCauley
>> <ehm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Dick, are you on Facebook? If not, you can't get the new group.
>>>
>>> Ermalee
>>
>> There's a FB group? Is that where people went? Cruise Critic is too
>> involved for me just to browse.
>

>There is a new generation of this group on Facebook.

How can I find it? Without letting the trolls know.

RayC

May 30, 2012, 9:03:22 PM5/30/12
On 5/30/2012 5:33 PM, Brian wrote:

> How can I find it? Without letting the trolls know.

I wouldn't worry about the trolls because it takes one of the moderators
to get in and they can just as easily be kicked.

Just search cruises in Facebook.--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++
www.CompressorStuff.com

Bill

May 30, 2012, 11:15:07 PM5/30/12
On 5/30/2012 9:03 PM, RayC wrote:
> On 5/30/2012 5:33 PM, Brian wrote:
>>
>> How can I find it? Without letting the trolls know.
>
> I wouldn't worry about the trolls because it takes one of the moderators
> to get in and they can just as easily be kicked.
>
> Just search cruises in Facebook.--
>
> Ray

It was already posted here under the subject "Facebook Group" on 5/22.

Bill

Kurt Ullman

May 31, 2012, 9:18:41 AM5/31/12
In article <jq6g13$74t$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, RayC <r...@rayzplace.com>
wrote:

> On 5/30/2012 5:33 PM, Brian wrote:
> >
> > How can I find it? Without letting the trolls know.
>
> I wouldn't worry about the trolls because it takes one of the moderators
> to get in and they can just as easily be kicked.
>
> Just search cruises in Facebook.--

https://www.facebook.com/groups/r.t.c.refugees/

Brian

May 31, 2012, 8:49:03 PM5/31/12
On Thu, 31 May 2012 09:18:41 -0400, in rec.travel.cruises you wrote:

>In article <jq6g13$74t$1...@speranza.aioe.org>, RayC <r...@rayzplace.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On 5/30/2012 5:33 PM, Brian wrote:
>> >
>> > How can I find it? Without letting the trolls know.
>>
>> I wouldn't worry about the trolls because it takes one of the moderators
>> to get in and they can just as easily be kicked.
>>
>> Just search cruises in Facebook.--
>>

>https://www.facebook.com/groups/r.t.c.refugees/

Thanks to everyone who helped.

The only post I saw from 5/22 was from someone who was waiting to get
in although i must admit I missed it. But I went back and didn't see a
post with the address. Sometimes I think I miss posts.

Now I'm waiting to get in.

gmbe...@mindspring.com

Jun 4, 2012, 12:20:13 AM6/4/12
On Wed, 30 May 2012 01:59:34 -0400, Bill <bill...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>On 5/29/2012 10:08 AM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:
>>
>> The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
>> trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
>> for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
>> might think a little more about it.
>
>It's not greed, it's good old fashioned bargain hunting and wanting to
>get the best deal possible. And it's become more popular of late with
>the problems with the economy.

It is greed. And the markets where people bargain and think they get
the better of the vendor - the vendor just lets them think that. If
the vendor did not make a profit, they wouldn't stay in business.

Old fashioned bargain hunting is going to yard sales or comparison
shopping. I don't believe that any stores in the cruise ship ports
are giving any kind of good deal if they have to pay the ship a
kickback, which they do.

>If you enjoy walking into a store and paying the regular price on the
>tag, more power to you. It's people like you who allow those of us who
>are price conscious to save money.

I have to say up front that I do not like to shop. My husband is the
shopper in the family. I sometimes buy some small useful item (if
possible a local product) as a gift for family when I'm on a trip, but
most of my grandchildren are too old to be happy to get those kinds of
things now.

I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
willing to bargain.

I have also been in a bargaining situation at one of those flea
markets and asked the woman if I bought three of the items that $3.00
each, how much of a discount she could give me. She said she would
give me three for $12.00. I don't know if she thought I wouldn't have
enough fingers to figure out that $12 for three items would be $4.00
each or what.

RayC

Jun 4, 2012, 3:56:25 PM6/4/12
On 6/3/2012 9:20 PM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:

> I have to say up front that I do not like to shop. My husband is the
> shopper in the family. I sometimes buy some small useful item (if
> possible a local product) as a gift for family when I'm on a trip, but
> most of my grandchildren are too old to be happy to get those kinds of
> things now.
>
> I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
> stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
> cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
> willing to bargain.
>
> I have also been in a bargaining situation at one of those flea
> markets and asked the woman if I bought three of the items that $3.00
> each, how much of a discount she could give me. She said she would
> give me three for $12.00. I don't know if she thought I wouldn't have
> enough fingers to figure out that $12 for three items would be $4.00
> each or what.

We used to lead diving groups to Cozumel several years ago before the
cruise ships came every day. And the number one piece of advice we gave
our travelers was to NOT shop on the day that the cruise ships arrived
and to NEVER shop the cruise ship "center". The pricing was easily 25%
higher than the day before. And as for the warning about back streets
... bunk. The most dangerous people in Cozumel are the tourists. If a
local is caught ripping you off, besides the local legal penalties (like
a VERY uncomfortable jail), they are barred from working there again.
Some of the best restaurants are on the back streets.

--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Bill

Jun 4, 2012, 8:17:54 PM6/4/12
On 6/4/2012 12:20 AM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:

> I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
> stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
> cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
> willing to bargain.

So is this what you consider greed? I am confused. I've also shopped at
some places in Cozumel that were not on the cruise line's list. There is
one jeweler we have bought from on a couple of different occasions. Then
there was another place that sold onyx animals. The woman barely spoke
any English. Fortunately my son knew that the Spanish word for bear was oso.

gmbe...@mindspring.com

Jun 5, 2012, 10:59:00 AM6/5/12
On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 20:17:54 -0400, Bill <bill...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>On 6/4/2012 12:20 AM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:
>>
>> I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
>> stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
>> cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
>> willing to bargain.
>
>So is this what you consider greed? I am confused.

I don't know what you mean, so I am confused too.

gmbe...@mindspring.com

Jun 5, 2012, 11:08:47 AM6/5/12
Yes we were in Cozumel for a week to dive. I felt safe by myself
everywhere in Cozumel. One woman said that he knew the prohibitions
of the cruise shopper person were true because she had seen a news
story on TV about a tourist in Mexico City that was robbed. That's SO
STUPID. It was the same thing when we visited the USVI before we
visited there on a cruise ship. It was supposed to be so much of a
crime problem there.

We had a lot of fun visiting various Cozumel restaurants, although I
had to learn to ask for the bill as they wouldn't try to hurry you up
to leave. Some of the cruise ship people were quite obnoxious. It
gave us a bad view of that kind of cruising and I had a hard time
convincing my husband to go on a cruise ship after that experience.

Bill

Jun 5, 2012, 11:06:52 PM6/5/12

You had said:

> If the people were paying attention (or weren't so greedy), or if they
> had ever been to a cruise ship destination like Cozumel when they were
> not on a cruise, this wouldn't be a surprise to them. It's no worse
> than those art auctions.

and then:

> The greed is people wanting to buy stuff on the cheap. They are
> trying to fool the vendor into giving them more than they are paying
> for. If they weren't focused so much on getting a bargain, they
> might think a little more about it.

and then this:

but then you said this:

> I also found in Cozumel specifically that the cruise ship recommended
> stores had fixed prices but the stores on the back streets(which the
> cruise ship shopper said were unsafe and no one should go there) were
> willing to bargain.

So you're telling us that people who look for bargains in cruise
destinations like Cozumel are being greedy. Then you tell us about
stores on the back streets where you can bargain. I am confused how
you're telling us looking for a bargain is greed and then you tell us
that you also do it.

Did that help?

gmbe...@mindspring.com

Jun 7, 2012, 10:18:45 AM6/7/12
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 23:06:52 -0400, Bill <bill...@prodigy.net>
I was saying that going to the ship recommended stores and thinking
that you are getting a great bargain would only be possible if you
were greedy. Bargaining in an area of the world where that is the
norm isn't greedy. I don't like to do it, but sometimes it is
appropriate.

In order to really get a bargain, IMHO you have to know the product
well enough to be able to tell what the quality is and know what the
normal price is. That goes for everywhere - not just cruise ship
ports. Relying on the 'recommended stores' isn't going to do it.

Tanzinite has (again in my opinion) an artificially inflated price. If
you want to get a true price for something you bought in a port, you
should ask the jeweler to buy it from you. If the price he offers you
is more than you paid, then you got a bargain.

Charles

Jun 7, 2012, 1:28:20 PM6/7/12
<gmbe...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 23:06:52 -0400, Bill <bill...@prodigy.net>

> I was saying that going to the ship recommended stores and thinking
> that you are getting a great bargain would only be possible if you
> were greedy. Bargaining in an area of the world where that is the
> norm isn't greedy. I don't like to do it, but sometimes it is
> appropriate.
>
> In order to really get a bargain, IMHO you have to know the product
> well enough to be able to tell what the quality is and know what the
> normal price is. That goes for everywhere - not just cruise ship
> ports. Relying on the 'recommended stores' isn't going to do it.
>
> Tanzinite has (again in my opinion) an artificially inflated price. If
> you want to get a true price for something you bought in a port, you
> should ask the jeweler to buy it from you. If the price he offers you
> is more than you paid, then you got a bargain.

They don't go to the recommended store because they are greedy. Passengers
go to them because they are not savvy. The cruise line blitzes them with
shopping talks and handouts so those stores are where many head to when
they get off the ship.

--
Charles

Bill

Jun 7, 2012, 7:46:45 PM6/7/12
On 6/7/2012 10:18 AM, gmbe...@mindspring.com wrote:

> Tanzinite has (again in my opinion) an artificially inflated price. If
> you want to get a true price for something you bought in a port, you
> should ask the jeweler to buy it from you. If the price he offers you
> is more than you paid, then you got a bargain.

I always call it crapizite when I hear them talking about it on the ship.