Age Demographics

Gadget World

Mar 15, 2011, 11:13:04 PM3/15/11
I just got some info from Princess on a 10 day cruise we are boarding at
the end of the month.

The entertainment would appear to be for a group that hardly exists,
less cruises:

In order to relive the Roaring 20's night, the passengers would have to
be teenagers in the 20's which would make them about 100+ now.

The other activities appear to be directed to Holland America's demo's
like book club,old movies, trivia, etc.

We all want to relive our earlier days, when we were teenagers and we
only had good things to look forward to, but I think that time moves on,
so does the time we want to remember.

Pre and post baby boomers are too young to remember doing the Charleston
or the big-band era, but would get all excited over doo-wop!

I love older people, and hope to be a hundred some day, but I can't
imagine that the whole cruise will be centurions.

gadget

Mark (SF)

Mar 16, 2011, 9:17:13 AM3/16/11

You don't have to be from ancient Rome to enjoy a Toga Party.

I suspect that you're reading too much into that party announcement.

Mark

Tom K

Mar 16, 2011, 10:17:37 AM3/16/11

I think he might be right from a certain perspective... one of the best
entertainment nights on a ship was when we saw Mickey Dolenz of the
Monkees. Another fun night was when they did an Eagles tribute night.

But the cruise lines seem very hesitant to change anything in the
current model that they perceive to be "what's always done"...

They just don't get the concept of "evolve or go extinct"...

And at this point, I find the singing and dancing nights so totally
boring. It's not music that I have any interest in. That was my
grandparents era, from Ed Sullivan. And even he was smart enough to
find the Beatles, the Doors, and other modern (at the time) bands.

But if they had a Springsteen tribute night on ships... or music from
The Who... or Journey, or Tom Petty, it would change my opinion about shows.

--Tom

.Stu.

Mar 16, 2011, 10:57:58 AM3/16/11

I'm a boomer, grew up with the Beatles, King Crimson, CCR, the Who, Animals,
Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Supreme's, Byrd's, Beach Boys, Kinks, Dave Clark
five, and the Rolling Stones.
Now I'm learning Spanish and enjoy Daddy Yankee (Spanish Hip Hop).
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgwaSfIqqUjg&h=f6696

Anyone of the above in a tribute show would be good.

Charles

Mar 16, 2011, 11:56:51 AM3/16/11
.Stu. <rec...@foodforu.ca> wrote:

> I'm a boomer, grew up with the Beatles, King Crimson, CCR, the Who, Animals,
> Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Supreme's, Byrd's, Beach Boys, Kinks, Dave Clark
> five, and the Rolling Stones.
> Now I'm learning Spanish and enjoy Daddy Yankee (Spanish Hip Hop).
> http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgwaSfIqqUjg&h=f6696
>

> Anyone of the above in a tribute show would be good.

There are a couple of Beatles tribute shows that do the cruise ship
circuit. One off those called Rain is very good. The other tribute shows
have I have seen on cruise ships are Motown tribute shows. I like those
too.

--
Charles

linnie

Mar 16, 2011, 11:57:32 AM3/16/11
Hey guys, while I'm too young to be a baby boomer but done ok a 1920's
theme could be fun, done right and it could be down right jazz hot.

They called it the roaring twenties for a reason. The Harlem and Chicago
Jazz and Blues scene was awesome. Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong,
Eddie Lang, Duke Ellington, Ethel Waters, King Oliver, Bessie Smith,
Ella Fitsgerald, Gershin, Ma Rainey and so many more. It was the jazz
age guys.

Heck, even the Grand Ole Opry (WSM Barn Dance) came in to being in 1925.
So if Jazz and Blues weren't your thing, you could get your old style
country on.

Women got the right to vote. We survived WWI. Hemlines came up, music
got load and hair got cut short. Normal girls started wearing makeup.
It was before the crash of 1929.

The Lindy hop came out and that morphed into swing dancing. All the
great night clubs and dances like the tango, foxtrot and charleston.

Prohibition, gangs and speakeasies clubs. Eliotness, Al Capone and radio
shows. Books like Lady Chatterley's Lover, The Great Gatsby, etc.

If they just get the music right, it should be a blast.

-Linnie

linnie

Mar 16, 2011, 12:01:44 PM3/16/11
Sorry for all the misspellings but I was typing for speed not accuracy.
Remember, most of the music from the 60's was based on tempos and
rhythms from jazz and blues.

-linnie

Kurt Ullman

Mar 16, 2011, 12:07:00 PM3/16/11
In article <02i1o69j3b2ce302n...@4ax.com>,

.Stu. <rec...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
Who, Animals,
> Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Supreme's, Byrd's, Beach Boys, Kinks, Dave Clark
> five, and the Rolling Stones.

Saw a good Beatles tribute band on the Independence a couple of
years ago. The bassist was even left handed (something that for some
reason bothers me about other Beatles bands...)

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Surfer E2468

Mar 16, 2011, 8:55:56 PM3/16/11
Never liked the beatles,elvis presley or the other rockers,give me a
tribute to perry como,bing crosby, nat king cole. They were ahwt you
would call GOOD singers

cruise lover(~~~~~)

.

Surfer E2468

Mar 16, 2011, 8:57:13 PM3/16/11
the start of the rock and roll age was the downfall of our youth's

cruise lover(~~~~~)

.

Janet Wilder

Mar 16, 2011, 10:01:05 PM3/16/11
I saw both of those. There is another group that does a "Jersey Boys"
kind of Four Seasons act, too.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Sue Mullen

Mar 16, 2011, 10:25:30 PM3/16/11

We saw RAIN in Philly and it was very good. I didn't know it had been on
any of the cruise ships.

sue

Kurt Ullman

Mar 17, 2011, 9:18:28 AM3/17/11
In article <5439-4D8...@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net>,
poco...@webtv.net (Surfer E2468) wrote:

> the start of the rock and roll age was the downfall of our youth's

The Beatles are from the British Empire
The British think they're keen
If that is what the British desire
God Save the Queen.
Allan Sherman

Rich Fronheiser

Mar 17, 2011, 11:45:57 AM3/17/11
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:18:28 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

> The Beatles are from the British Empire
> The British think they're keen
> If that is what the British desire
> God Save the Queen.
> Allan Sherman

The Queen of RTC
Lies coldly in her bed
She hasn't gotten any dick
Since Ed's turned to lead.
Rich Fronheiser
Gaywad Umpire

J Lunis

Mar 18, 2011, 7:58:15 AM3/18/11

Here is the rule I give my wife on every cruise. Watch the people.
For example, most cruises we've been on have the cruise cast do a couple
of shows. Often one show involves something similar to "a history of
music." Songs start with the "rat pack" era (ugh) and go through the
80s-90s. When the "rat pack" era songs are being played, watch the
people. Talking to each other. Looking around the auditorium. As it
gets to the 50s > 70s, people are clapping, singing along, sometimes
dancing in the aisles (sometimes isles).
Music before the show? On our last cruise it was the rat pack. On a
previous cruise, on one night it was, believe it or not, country music.
Again people clapping and singing along.
My point? Demographics matter. I wish cruise lines would quit catering
to a group that barely exists anymore.

Gadget World

Mar 18, 2011, 4:24:32 PM3/18/11
Lunis

This is exactly what I meant.

For the cruise line to suggest that we reminisce to the roaring 20's
means that they think that their passengers were old enough in the 20's
that they would be ready to Charleston all over the ship.

But do the math. If I was a teenager doing the Charleston in the 20's,
I'd be 100+ now.

I remember when the big band crowd, who were teens in the 40's were the
largest age group on ships and they would get out of wheel chairs, and
throw their canes and walkers down as soon as they heard "in the mood"
and get up and dance. When the music ended they went back in the wheel
chair and picked up the cane and walkers. Unfortunately, we do not see
too much dancing any more.

These were the Greatest Generation who spent their teen age years
dancing and romancing.

Gadget

linnie

Mar 18, 2011, 6:23:43 PM3/18/11
You may be right about the age thing. I just saw this as a
jazz/blues/20's cruise. Just like there are people my age (too young to
be a baby boomer on any magazine scale) who love swing dancing, square
dancing and all types of classic and vintage music, there are people who
would go for a 60's cruise because they remember the 60's and some would
go because they think the 60's were cool. So I would really be surprised
if they were only going after people who were alive during the 1920's.
More like going after people who want to celebrate that error. Could be
folks who loved the music, art, fashion, whatever from that time period.

Heck, I have seen Dixieland Jazz cruises themes, Geek cruise themes,
Swing cruise themes, Disco themes, etc.

Just sounds like fun to me.

-Linnie

J Lunis

Mar 21, 2011, 7:55:48 AM3/21/11
I doubt anyone is TOTALLY against music from the 20>40s. The annoyance
I (and many I have talked to) have is a nearly exclusive focus on the
popular music of the era - and I would throw in the big musicals from
that same era. (Before I start, our most recent cruise had a music
review starting with the 60s.)
I have been to too many shows devoted only to musicals or only to 'hits'
of the 30s-40s. But, as I said earlier, when most of an audience
responds enthusiastically to a type of music (60s-70s), and with boredom
to another type (30s,40s) I would expect any business to begin
emphasizing the more popular music. Throw in the rat pack music in many
areas of the ship and, IMO, it appears the cruise lines (we have sailed
on 4) are not paying attention to demographics. No, don't completely
eliminate a type of music but please adjust emphasis to the audience.

Charles

Mar 21, 2011, 8:51:28 AM3/21/11
In article <4d873cc4$0$17052$bbae...@news.suddenlink.net>, J Lunis
<lun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been to too many shows devoted only to musicals or only to 'hits'
> of the 30s-40s. But, as I said earlier, when most of an audience
> responds enthusiastically to a type of music (60s-70s), and with boredom
> to another type (30s,40s) I would expect any business to begin
> emphasizing the more popular music. Throw in the rat pack music in many
> areas of the ship and, IMO, it appears the cruise lines (we have sailed
> on 4) are not paying attention to demographics. No, don't completely
> eliminate a type of music but please adjust emphasis to the audience.

Whatever music or show numbers they use they have to pay to use. That
might have something to do with their choices.

--
Charles

RayC

Mar 21, 2011, 5:18:50 PM3/21/11
On 3/21/2011 5:51 AM, Charles wrote:
> Whatever music or show numbers they use they have to pay to use. That
> might have something to do with their choices.

Entertainment is expensive. GOOD entertainment is even MORE expensive! ;-)
--

Ray
+++++++++++++++++++++++

J Lunis

Mar 22, 2011, 8:11:42 AM3/22/11
On 3/21/2011 5:18 PM, RayC wrote:
> On 3/21/2011 5:51 AM, Charles wrote:
>> Whatever music or show numbers they use they have to pay to use. That
>> might have something to do with their choices.
>>

> Entertainment is expensive. GOOD entertainment is even MORE expensive! ;-)

And good entertainment designed for the wrong audience is even MORE
expensive.

Gadget World

Apr 4, 2011, 9:54:56 PM4/4/11
Well, the cruise was great and the only 20's entertainment was one song
and dance show that even the older passengers didn't relate to.

The crowd was much older than 7 day cruises, but it was nice traveling
with people who had manners, patience and were friendly.

The few teenagers aboard really stuck out with their need for attention.

The cruise line would have been smarter to not pay so much attention to
the 20's thing.

Gadget