passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

Ohioguy

Jun 7, 2010, 5:00:42 PM6/7/10
My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never
needed one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need
one, and most of my travel is inside the US.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/officialinfo/ht/passport.htm

At first I read the above article, which has no date but is still
"dated", evidently, because it said no passport is needed for cruises to
the Caribbean. It mentioned a "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" or
somesuch card, which I guess has now been replaced with a "US Passport
Card".

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll
be flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

AZ Nomad

Jun 7, 2010, 5:20:45 PM6/7/10
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:00:42 -0400, Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never
>needed one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need
>one, and most of my travel is inside the US.

why don't you read the documentation handed to you by the company
you're cruising with?

Tom K

Jun 7, 2010, 5:30:03 PM6/7/10

The passport card is pretty much a waste. Just get a regular passport.
It's not like the cost is that different. But just suppose... let's
say you twist an ankle or something like that, and need to fly back to
the US. Or you miss the ship because of an excursion... or whatever.
But let's just say you need to fly back for some reason half way through
the cruise. A passport lets you.

Or let's say your wife likes it... and next year wants to go on a
Mediterranean cruise... you're set with the passport.

--Tom

rieker

Jun 7, 2010, 5:40:32 PM6/7/10

> Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll
> be flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

A passport card is worthless, IMO.

If you are on a 'closed loop' cruise (one wherein you return to the same
port from which you sailed) a US citizen can use the combination of a
certified birth certificate and a govt. issued photo ID (drivers license).
I believe that children under 16 only need a birth certificate.

If you get sick and must return home from any foreign port, anywhere on
planet earth, you will need a real passport (not the 'card').

If you take a cruise that departs say from Ft Lauderdale, transits the
Panama Canal and you finish in San Diego, you need a passport.

A passport will cost you about $10/yr. You have to pay up front....they are
issued for 10 years (to adults, kids are a little cheaper and good for 5
yrs.)

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm
"How will the final WHTI requirements affect passengers going on cruises?
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same
port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of
citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. A
U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original
or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad
issued by DOS, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship
and Immigration Services.
Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport when
you dock at a foreign port, depending on the islands or countries that your
cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruiseline to ensure you have the
appropriate documents for the stops you'll be making on your cruise."

John Sisker

Jun 7, 2010, 5:43:37 PM6/7/10
All of the personal documents we're seeing now days from the cruise lines,
just mention the need for a passport. While there are still exceptions, that
is quickly becoming a thing of the past, and something the cruise line
seldom bother to even bring up anymore.

Our suggestion... get a passport. You'll need it eventually, if not right
away.

John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com / www.tinplatedesign.com >
Facebook/Twitter/Blog/Flickr/MyPage

Stu

Jun 7, 2010, 5:58:05 PM6/7/10

If you're crusin you need a passport, if you come to Canada next time
you'll need a passport.

Kurt Ullman

Jun 7, 2010, 6:25:11 PM6/7/10
In article <4c0d64db$0$5008$607e...@cv.net>,
Tom K <tkan...@optonline.net> wrote:

> Or let's say your wife likes it... and next year wants to go on a
> Mediterranean cruise... you're set with the passport.

I've actually used the passport more often within the US. At least in
Indiana, it replaces two of the pieces of paper you have to have that to
get your driver's license. It is also the only thing you need to prove
you can legally work in the US. Nice thing for those times when someone
requires a second form of ID.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Kurt Ullman

Jun 7, 2010, 6:26:50 PM6/7/10
In article <hujour$20gv$1...@adenine.netfront.net>,
"rieker" <rieker5.n...@google.com> wrote:

> > Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll
> > be flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.
>
> A passport card is worthless, IMO.
>
> If you are on a 'closed loop' cruise (one wherein you return to the same
> port from which you sailed) a US citizen can use the combination of a
> certified birth certificate and a govt. issued photo ID (drivers license).
> I believe that children under 16 only need a birth certificate.

Wives need the marriage license, which may make Ms. Ohioguy want
to get hers instead of hassleing with 3 forms.

D Ball

Jun 7, 2010, 8:56:48 PM6/7/10
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

See the section on "closed loop" cruises.

Definitely read the "required documents" section of the cruise line
website, e.g., here is Carnival's: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/fun/cruise_control/EMB_embark_info.aspx

Realizing you don't plan to fly home from a Caribbean port, a passport
card or "book" is good to have in the unlikely event something
happened mid-cruise to you, your wife or your non-traveling kiddos
that necessitated a flight home.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

LVTravel

Jun 7, 2010, 9:13:54 PM6/7/10

"Ohioguy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

Even if you do not need a passport to cruise if something happened and you
had to fly home in an emergency you would have great issues in getting back
into the US. The passport is necessary to fly into the US.

Bill

Jun 7, 2010, 11:46:32 PM6/7/10
On 6/7/2010 5:40 PM, rieker wrote:

> A passport will cost you about $10/yr. You have to pay up front....they are
> issued for 10 years (to adults, kids are a little cheaper and good for 5 yrs.)

I am not going to disagree that getting a passport will probably make
life easier for the cruise, but claiming that it only costs $10 a year
when he has not needed it for the last 9 years, and may not need it for
the next 9 years, is understating the cost. The fact is it costs $100
and for many people that is a significant amount of money for something
that really is only needed one time.

Bill

Rosalie B.

Jun 8, 2010, 1:08:15 AM6/8/10
Bill <bill...@prodigy.net> wrote:

He hasn't needed it for the past 9 years because people just didn't
need passports then the way they do now. When he went to Canada in
the past, he didn't need a passport and now he does.

I use a passport as my ID whenever I travel, even inside the US. Way
more convenient.

Plus if he can afford a cruise, he should be able to afford a
passport.

George Leppla

Jun 8, 2010, 8:20:17 AM6/8/10
On 6/8/2010 12:08 AM, Rosalie B. wrote:
> Bill<bill...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/7/2010 5:40 PM, rieker wrote:
>>>
>>> A passport will cost you about $10/yr. You have to pay up front....they are
>>> issued for 10 years (to adults, kids are a little cheaper and good for 5 yrs.)
>>
>> I am not going to disagree that getting a passport will probably make
>> life easier for the cruise, but claiming that it only costs $10 a year
>> when he has not needed it for the last 9 years, and may not need it for
>> the next 9 years, is understating the cost. The fact is it costs $100
>> and for many people that is a significant amount of money for something
>> that really is only needed one time.
>
> He hasn't needed it for the past 9 years because people just didn't
> need passports then the way they do now. When he went to Canada in
> the past, he didn't need a passport and now he does.

True enough... the laws have changed and it is foolish to not have a
passport if you are going out of the country. Recently I've crossed the
border between TX and Mexico about a dozen times and they demand
passports. There is a "card" you can get, but that is basically
developed for people who cross the Canadian or Mexican border on a
regular basis.... like people who live in one country and work in another.

And I also agree with the previous poster that it isn't cheap. If you
are a family of 4 and traveling for the first time, that $400 isn't
insignificant.... especially if you aren't planning on much future travel.

That said, I'll repeat what I have been saying here for years and
years.... get a passport.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

Ohioguy

Jun 8, 2010, 9:38:33 AM6/8/10
It all boils down to whether I want to pay about $45 or $115 total
for a passport. Some have said that for a circle cruise to the
Caribbean, where I start and end in the same port, all I need is a
certified birth certificate and driver's license. However, I thought it
might be worth paying the $45 for the passport card, since that is just
$4.50 a year, and lasts 10 years. Also, if I get the passport card, and
I later (any time during the 10 years) decide to "upgrade" to a full
passport, I'd only have to pay the renewal cost to do so - not the first
time up front cost of $115.

>Recently I've crossed the border between TX and Mexico about a dozen
>times and they demand passports.

I'll have to say, that made me laugh! What - folks can't sneak in
any more? :-)

Harry Cooper

Jun 8, 2010, 11:36:57 AM6/8/10

"Ohioguy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

Hi Guy,

Don't get cheap on the passport issue, get your passport and be ready for
any need that comes up over the next ten years. I had a chance to go to
Australia with two weeks notice. No problem since I had a passport, nearly
impossible otherwise.

Harry Cooper

linnie

Jun 8, 2010, 11:13:52 AM6/8/10

Dude, I suggest that you go ahead and pony up for the full passport
instead of the card. Its more flexible because it can be used under more
different situations if you happen to have to travel around the world.
Even in the states when I leave California, I grab my passport. A couple
a times I've had to use it as that second form of ID in another state.
Sucker last longer then your drivers license and can be used world wide.
10 years is a long time to say that your never going to leave the
country especially when you have a spouse who likes to travel.

The other thing is with the government being flaky on enforcement as to
when and where you'll need what, its just the safest bet.

-Linnie

AZ Nomad

Jun 8, 2010, 11:42:34 AM6/8/10

Not only that, but it is at the discression of other countries wether or not
they accept it. Information on the USPC at the US passport site only states
where it can be used for reentry into the U.S.

Charles

Jun 8, 2010, 7:25:56 PM6/8/10
In article <slrni0sp7a.7...@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net>,
AZ Nomad <azno...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:

> Not only that, but it is at the discression of other countries wether or not
> they accept it. Information on the USPC at the US passport site only states
> where it can be used for reentry into the U.S.

Since it was issued to facilitate border travel with countries on the
US border for workers who cross often or every day it is quite possible
that in countries not on the border local officials would have no clue
about the card and would not recognize it.

--
Charles

Frank from Deeeetroit

Jun 9, 2010, 10:28:40 PM6/9/10

US passport card is for US land travel to Canada and Mexico only,
gotta have a passport for travel anywhere else out of the country.
Check with your cruise line if your cruise starts from the US.

Frank

Kenn Smith

Jun 10, 2010, 6:08:14 PM6/10/10
I would not set foot outside the US without a valid passport in my
possession.

Ari

Jun 10, 2010, 6:14:38 PM6/10/10
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:08:14 -0500, Kenn Smith wrote:

> I would not set foot outside the US without a valid passport in my
> possession.

+1000
--
Ari's Fun Times!
http://tr.im/hrFG

Jack Hamilton

Jun 11, 2010, 1:20:36 AM6/11/10

Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card isn't
valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer to the US
than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card is valid.

Charles

Jun 11, 2010, 5:56:31 AM6/11/10
In article <9ch316pctbqauee50...@4ax.com>, Jack Hamilton
<j...@acm.org> wrote:

> Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card isn't
> valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer to the US
> than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card is valid.

It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
passport card.

--
Charles

Ari

Jun 11, 2010, 9:46:32 AM6/11/10

Which is...?Let me help you.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from
Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or
sea ports-of-entry. it is a matter of it being more convenient and
less expensive than a passport book.

You're welcome.

Dillon Pyron

Jun 11, 2010, 12:28:12 PM6/11/10
[Default] Thus spake Stu <in...@foodforu.ca>:

Not in any way correct. None whatsoever. Nowhere near.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Warick: "Who brings a gun to a knife fight?"
Gil: "The winner?"

Dillon Pyron

Jun 11, 2010, 12:32:18 PM6/11/10
[Default] Thus spake Kurt Ullman <kurtu...@yahoo.com>:

>In article <4c0d64db$0$5008$607e...@cv.net>,
> Tom K <tkan...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> Or let's say your wife likes it... and next year wants to go on a
>> Mediterranean cruise... you're set with the passport.
>>
> I've actually used the passport more often within the US. At least in
>Indiana, it replaces two of the pieces of paper you have to have that to
>get your driver's license. It is also the only thing you need to prove
>you can legally work in the US. Nice thing for those times when someone
>requires a second form of ID.

To take my ARRT exam i was required to present two forms of photo ID,
including at least one government issued (WTF other type of "ID" is
there?). Or a currently valid US passport.

For me it's a lot quicker to walk through security at the airport. Not
so much leaving Texas, but let's say I'm in Indianapolis the day after
the US Gran Prix (oh wait, that's in Austin in 2012, sorry Phony
Tony). The guard doesn't have to look all over trying to find my
name. It's all in the same location. A minutes? Maybe. 40 trips a
year times 2 minutes = almost an hour and a half of my life.

Dillon Pyron

Jun 11, 2010, 12:36:41 PM6/11/10
[Default] Thus spake Tom K <tkan...@optonline.net>:

Okay, this doesn't apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
special. $99 each way Houston to Paris. Limited number of seats on a
limited number of flights, offer popped up at midnight and flights
started leaving in two days. Can't do that without a passport.

I decided to go to Australia with Carol on a Monday evening. Leaving
the following Sunday. I had my visa aobut a minute after I booked the
flights ($999 LAX-SYD). Can't do that without a passport.

I have a friend who flew to Calgary last year for a dog show (one of
her dogs is rated #2 in the country in his class in Agility). CDTWAP.

And so on and so forth. Or, to quote the late, great Yul Bryner, et
cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Dillon Pyron

Jun 11, 2010, 12:38:37 PM6/11/10
[Default] Thus spake "LVTravel" <no...@nothere.com>:

In the event that you need to fly back to the US, TSA can hold you for
up to three business days while they determine your status. If you
actually need to be hospitalized you'll go, but you'll have a "guest"
with you. And your family will get to sit around in a room in (not
at) the airport.

Message has been deleted

Ari

Jun 11, 2010, 7:13:18 PM6/11/10
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:28:12 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

> [Default] Thus spake Stu <in...@foodforu.ca>:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:20:45 -0500, AZ Nomad
>><azno...@PremoveOBthisOX.COM> wrote:

>>>why don't you read the documentation handed to you by the company
>>>you're cruising with?
>>
>>If you're crusin you need a passport, if you come to Canada next time
>>you'll need a passport.
>
> Not in any way correct. None whatsoever. Nowhere near.

We'll see as the Real ID Card was to be the cross-Canadian identify
and travel tracking verification card. It's behind schedule so...

Ari

Jun 11, 2010, 7:14:43 PM6/11/10

Three days min. If they decide to invoke a security status, as long as
they want.

Jack Hamilton

Jun 11, 2010, 8:00:46 PM6/11/10
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:56:31 -0400, Charles
<fo...@his.com.remove.invalid> wrote:

"The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be
used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea
ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card
provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the
passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by
land or by sea."

The restriction to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and some islands in the
Caribbean (not all of them) is entirely arbitrary.

There is regular ferry service (in the summer) between Canada and France
- it takes about an hour. So why should the passport card not be good
for that?

Charles

Jun 11, 2010, 8:48:15 PM6/11/10
In article <5ri516lubttn661pl...@4ax.com>, Jack Hamilton
<j...@acm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:56:31 -0400, Charles
> <fo...@his.com.remove.invalid> wrote:
>
> >In article <9ch316pctbqauee50...@4ax.com>, Jack Hamilton
> ><j...@acm.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card isn't
> >> valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer to the US
> >> than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card is valid.
> >
> >It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
> >passport card.
>
> "The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be
> used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea
> ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card
> provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the
> passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by
> land or by sea."
>
> The restriction to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and some islands in the
> Caribbean (not all of them) is entirely arbitrary.
>
> There is regular ferry service (in the summer) between Canada and France
> - it takes about an hour. So why should the passport card not be good
> for that?

For the same reason it can't be used for air flights.

"The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and
southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border
frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for
international travel by air."

That is the context of why the card exists. It is not intended for
general use to replace passports.

The card is intended for residents of border areas that frequently
travel back and forth over the border. The border can be over land or
water. Of course there will always be smart alecks who look for
loopholes and to stretch it beyond it's intended use but don't be
surprised if doing that comes back and bites you.

By the way saying there is one hour ferry service between Canada and
France because there are ferries to the French islands of Saint-Pierre
& Miquelon that are off the coast of Newfoundland is cute but cute is
all it is.

--
Charles

Bill

Jun 11, 2010, 9:13:08 PM6/11/10

There was a story on the local (NYC) news last week about a musician who
needed an emergency passport renewal because his had expired and he had
a last minute job to get to. So they hooked the guy up with a passport
expediting company who did it for the normal $135 State Department
expedite fee (I assume they normally charge a sizable fee which was not
disclosed). What I found strange was that they recommended getting the
passport card IN ADDITION to the passport. This was their explanation:

> The U.S. Passport Card was created by the State Department for those
> looking to travel to Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean, by land or sea
> only. You do not need a passport if you're driving there or taking
> the cruise. You cannot fly with the passport card. It also serves as
> a valid form of identification and proof of citizenship. So if you're
> abroad and God forbid you lose your passport, you will be able to go
> to a U.S. Embassy and submit your U.S. Passport Card as your proof of
> citizenship. That's extremely helpful in your obtaining a replacement
> passport." There is an extra $20 fee for that.

The guy paid for it. Has anyone out there ever gotten a passport card
for this purpose?

Here's the link to the story:

http://weblogs.wpix.com/news/helpmehoward/2010/06/jazz_musician_stranded_without_1.html

Bill

Charles

Jun 11, 2010, 9:45:54 PM6/11/10
In article <huumvc$p0t$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, Bill
<bill...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> There was a story on the local (NYC) news last week about a musician who
> needed an emergency passport renewal because his had expired and he had
> a last minute job to get to. So they hooked the guy up with a passport
> expediting company who did it for the normal $135 State Department
> expedite fee (I assume they normally charge a sizable fee which was not
> disclosed). What I found strange was that they recommended getting the
> passport card IN ADDITION to the passport. This was their explanation:

They got an extra $20 fee for that. That is the explanation.....

--
Charles

Jack Hamilton

Jun 11, 2010, 10:34:58 PM6/11/10
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:13:08 -0400, Bill <bill...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>There was a story on the local (NYC) news last week about a musician who
>needed an emergency passport renewal because his had expired and he had
>a last minute job to get to. So they hooked the guy up with a passport
>expediting company who did it for the normal $135 State Department
>expedite fee (I assume they normally charge a sizable fee which was not
>disclosed). What I found strange was that they recommended getting the
>passport card IN ADDITION to the passport. This was their explanation:
>
>> The U.S. Passport Card was created by the State Department for those
>> looking to travel to Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean, by land or sea
>> only. You do not need a passport if you're driving there or taking
>> the cruise. You cannot fly with the passport card. It also serves as
>> a valid form of identification and proof of citizenship. So if you're
>> abroad and God forbid you lose your passport, you will be able to go
>> to a U.S. Embassy and submit your U.S. Passport Card as your proof of
>> citizenship. That's extremely helpful in your obtaining a replacement
>> passport." There is an extra $20 fee for that.
>
>The guy paid for it. Has anyone out there ever gotten a passport card
>for this purpose?

It's one of the reasons I got one. And the fact that having both means
I always have proof of citizenship, even when one or the other is in for
renewal. And really, it's cheap

I took it ashore in Europe on my last cruise; why lug my passport around
to places where it might get stolen when I have another picture ID whose
loss would not be critical?

I was never asked for an ID at any of the ports, but I did use it to
join FC Barcelona, which requires a national ID.

Ignore Charles; there's no room in his black and white thinking for
multiple correct answers.

Bill

Jun 11, 2010, 10:52:38 PM6/11/10

The $20 went to the State Department. Presumably they normally charge
extra when doing it for paying (to them) customers.

Bill

D Ball

Jun 12, 2010, 1:23:23 AM6/12/10
> Ignore Charles; there's no room in his black and white thinking for
> multiple correct answers.

Somehow, in spite of the repeated suggestions, I don't think you are
following along, Jack. The card is for Americans who don't want to
travel anywhere but nearby North American destinations, hence the
jurisdictional terminology "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative."
See, e.g., http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

It's your money, but I, too, think it's a waste to have both. The
backup card you purchased isn't going to do what you need it to do if
you lose your passport anywhere but the limited Western Hemisphere
allowances. Like most travelers, I have always had a passport and a
backup copy (now online, so it's accessible 24/7 from anywhere in the
wordl) in the crazy odds that I lose it. Copies have always been
sufficient to get the ball rolling at US embassies abroad in the event
temporary assist is required when you lose it. Nothing has changed.
There, a state-issued driver's license or ID card is just as credible
as the passport card if you need some sort of government ID lesser
than passport outside the Western Hemisphere jurisdictional
boundaries.

It's lovely you have this thing for France and/or French islands near
Canada. But France is not part of the Western Hemisphere Travel
Initiative. Insisting that the US "card" work in France typifies the
"ugly American" ideology. Americans who desire to be global citizens
need to get passports like everyone else in the world.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Message has been deleted

Charles

Jun 12, 2010, 7:00:47 AM6/12/10
In article <plr516de8tq82jrun...@4ax.com>, Jack Hamilton
<j...@acm.org> wrote:

> It's one of the reasons I got one. And the fact that having both means
> I always have proof of citizenship, even when one or the other is in for
> renewal. And really, it's cheap
>
> I took it ashore in Europe on my last cruise; why lug my passport around
> to places where it might get stolen when I have another picture ID whose
> loss would not be critical?
>
> I was never asked for an ID at any of the ports, but I did use it to
> join FC Barcelona, which requires a national ID.
>
> Ignore Charles; there's no room in his black and white thinking for
> multiple correct answers.

You don't need to take your passport ashore or lug it around. I always
leave my passport in my room safe. All you need for ID is your drivers
license as picture ID. It is advised that you make a copy of your
passport page. You can make a wallet sized copy. I have been asked for
ID in random checks returning to the ship and some ports like Bermuda
on every return to the ship. All I needed to show was my Drivers
License and ship card.

The Passport Card is *not* a national ID. We don't have that in the
United States.

A Passport is all you need. Having both a Passport and a Passport Card
is an unneeded and an unneeded extra expense.

--
Charles

Message has been deleted

Kurt Ullman

Jun 12, 2010, 8:54:56 AM6/12/10
In article <C8393B40.6C38A%pete...@stockton.com>,
peter <pete...@stockton.com> wrote:

> > The Passport Card is *not* a national ID. We don't have that in the
> > United States.
>

> (a) The United States is a nation. (b) The Passport Card is an ID card
> issued by the United States. Ergo: The Passport Card *is* a national ID.
> As usual, Charles is wrong.
Now you are the one splitting hairs. National ID card is generally
defined as a MANDATORY form of ID that is issued by the nation and is
required that all citizens maintain. Passports or cards are entirely
voluntary (nothing requires you to leave the country). Any national ID
that hits only ~20% of the population is a rather piss poor excuse.

> > A Passport is all you need. Having both a Passport and a Passport Card
> > is an unneeded and an unneeded extra expense.
>

> Many countries will not accept a driver's license as ID contrary to what is
> suggested by Charles, as American driver's licenses are issued by the states
> and states are not nations. FC Barcelona would correctly have refused a
> driver's license from Jack, as it is not a national ID.
I know they take soccer seriously over the pond, but FC Barcelona
hardly qualifies as a good example of "Many countries will not accept a
DL".

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist

Ari

Jun 12, 2010, 4:21:59 PM6/12/10
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 07:00:47 -0400, Charles wrote:

> The Passport Card is *not* a national ID. We don't have that in the
> United States.

Soon tho.

Ari

Jun 12, 2010, 4:23:03 PM6/12/10
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:25:20 +0200, peter wrote:

> Many countries will not accept a driver's license as ID contrary to what is
> suggested by Charles, as American driver's licenses are issued by the states
> and states are not nations.

Yep.

Dillon Pyron

Jun 13, 2010, 8:38:17 PM6/13/10
[Default] Thus spake Ari <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

But the Passport Card (or whatever name DHS has chosen this week) is
out. And one can still cruise with government issued photo ID and an
official birth certificate (or naturalization papers or other "proof")
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)
March 1998 - June 2010
What a dog. What a dog!

Dillon Pyron

Jun 13, 2010, 8:39:10 PM6/13/10
[Default] Thus spake Lee <n...@2.spam>:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:36:41 -0500, Dillon Pyron >Okay, this doesn't

>apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
>>special. $99 each way Houston to Paris.
>

>Paris, Texas?

Yeah, and then on to Athens and finally Palestine.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)

Dillon Pyron

Jun 13, 2010, 8:40:16 PM6/13/10
[Default] Thus spake Ari <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:38:37 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

Yeah, but at least you won't get a free trip back to the Caribbean. To
that oh so special island. Or chunk thereof.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)

Dillon Pyron

Jun 13, 2010, 8:40:45 PM6/13/10
[Default] Thus spake Ari <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:08:14 -0500, Kenn Smith wrote:
>
>> I would not set foot outside the US without a valid passport in my
>> possession.
>
>+1000

Very much agreed.

Dillon Pyron

Jun 13, 2010, 8:43:09 PM6/13/10
[Default] Thus spake Ari <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:56:31 -0400, Charles wrote:

>> In article <9ch316pctbqauee50...@4ax.com>, Jack Hamilton
>> <j...@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card isn't
>>> valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer to the US
>>> than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card is valid.
>>
>> It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
>> passport card.
>
>Which is...?Let me help you.
>
>The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from
>Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or
>sea ports-of-entry. it is a matter of it being more convenient and
>less expensive than a passport book.

Sadly, athough it's touted as being "less expensive", that's only if
you get it once and don't renew at any time after it expires. Over
the course of ten years, they cost exactly the same, but the card is
so limited in use as to be worthless. IMnsHO.

>You're welcome.

Bill

Jun 13, 2010, 9:38:34 PM6/13/10
On 6/13/2010 8:43 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:

> Sadly, although it's touted as being "less expensive", that's only if

> you get it once and don't renew at any time after it expires. Over
> the course of ten years, they cost exactly the same, but the card is
> so limited in use as to be worthless. IMnsHO.

Why do you say that? According to the website, the initial cost is $45
and it is valid for 10 years, same as a normal passport. The only time
it would be more expensive is if you decide that you need a real
passport during those 10 years, and even then, as many people have said,
it's good for 10 years.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Bill

George Leppla

Jun 14, 2010, 8:15:39 AM6/14/10
On 6/13/2010 7:39 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
> [Default] Thus spake Lee<n...@2.spam>:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:36:41 -0500, Dillon Pyron>Okay, this doesn't
>> apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
>>> special. $99 each way Houston to Paris.
>>
>> Paris, Texas?
>
> Yeah, and then on to Athens and finally Palestine.

You missed Moscow. Population 170 including one cop who can be found
patrolling the one mile of Rt. 59 that lies within his jurisdiction.

"You ain't from around here, are you, boy."

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster

Ari

Jun 14, 2010, 1:24:02 PM6/14/10

Sure can but it isn't DHS/DoD's version of the future. The Real ID
Card is.

Ari

Jun 14, 2010, 1:25:36 PM6/14/10
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 19:39:10 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

> [Default] Thus spake Lee <n...@2.spam>:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:36:41 -0500, Dillon Pyron >Okay, this doesn't
>>apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
>>>special. $99 each way Houston to Paris.
>>
>>Paris, Texas?
>
> Yeah, and then on to Athens and finally Palestine.

Careful with any flyover Israel, the Jews are feisty.

Ari

Jun 14, 2010, 1:26:01 PM6/14/10

:)

Ari

Jun 14, 2010, 1:28:45 PM6/14/10
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 19:43:09 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

> [Default] Thus spake Ari <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:56:31 -0400, Charles wrote:

>>> It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
>>> passport card.
>>
>>Which is...?Let me help you.
>>
>>The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from
>>Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or
>>sea ports-of-entry. it is a matter of it being more convenient and
>>less expensive than a passport book.
>>

> Sadly, athough it's touted as being "less expensive", that's only if
> you get it once and don't renew at any time after it expires. Over
> the course of ten years, they cost exactly the same, but the card is
> so limited in use as to be worthless. IMnsHO.

Non-drivers, fits in a wallet e.g. DUI/DWI probationers. Other than
that, agreed.

I smile when I see ppl use the term "lug" their passport. Especially
women.

Becca

Jun 14, 2010, 1:34:07 PM6/14/10
On 6/13/2010 7:39 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
> [Default] Thus spake Lee<n...@2.spam>:
>

>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:36:41 -0500, Dillon Pyron>Okay, this doesn't
>> apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
>>
>>> special. $99 each way Houston to Paris.
>>>
>> Paris, Texas?
>>
> Yeah, and then on to Athens and finally Palestine.

I've gone diving in Athens, but it was in a quarry. It was Halloween,
so we were diving for valuable (?) prizes. I won a pink tank knocker.

Becca

Ari

Jun 14, 2010, 1:36:09 PM6/14/10

The passport card is all about automating the travel for neighboring
regions, it's about matching credentials to a gov't DB and upping
homeland insecurity. Er, security. They ought to give it away if its
such a great anti-terrorist defense token.

Message has been deleted

Ohioguy

Jun 16, 2010, 1:29:19 PM6/16/10
I ended up getting both the Passport and the Passport Card on Monday.
I was tempted to just get the Passport Card, but I checked over the
list of countries, and 1 stop in the Caribbean was not on the list.
This probably wouldn't have been a problem, because I'm not likely to go
ashore a lot, but my wife seems to think we may possibly fly to Europe
or somewhere in 5 or 6 years. I guess it will be convenient to already
have the passport, if so.

Ari

Jun 16, 2010, 1:55:01 PM6/16/10

There ya' go, you're all set.

Mark (SF)

Jun 16, 2010, 2:10:23 PM6/16/10
On Jun 16, 10:29 am, Ohioguy <n...@none.net> wrote:
>    I ended up getting both the Passport and the Passport Card on Monday.
>...my wife seems to think we may possibly fly to Europe

> or somewhere in 5 or 6 years.  I guess it will be convenient to already
> have the passport, if so.

Exactly. Now you have it. And, as others have noted, it's a darn good
piece of ID. I always bring my passport for new jobs, where they need
to both confirm your identity and whether you're a citizen. Standard
procedures require 2 IDs for this, but only 1 if it's a passport.

Mark

Ari

Jun 16, 2010, 3:09:16 PM6/16/10

Btw, you Mac-made website doesn't render in FF but does in IE(8) That
sir, is funny.

Dillon Pyron

Jul 2, 2010, 3:28:46 PM7/2/10

Unless you are in one of the states that has decided not to
participate. Which leads to an interesting situation. You live in,
for instance, New Hampshire and are called to federal jury duty. Well,
without the Real ID certified DL you can't get into the building. Now
what?

I actually like that scenario. When they bust you for not appearing,
ask for a jury trial.

Dillon Pyron

Jul 2, 2010, 3:30:13 PM7/2/10
[Default] Thus spake George Leppla <geo...@cruisemaster.com>:

>On 6/13/2010 7:39 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:
>> [Default] Thus spake Lee<n...@2.spam>:
>>
>>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:36:41 -0500, Dillon Pyron>Okay, this doesn't
>>> apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
>>>
>>> Paris, Texas?
>>
>> Yeah, and then on to Athens and finally Palestine.
>

>You missed Moscow. Population 170 including one cop who can be found
>patrolling the one mile of Rt. 59 that lies within his jurisdiction.
>
>"You ain't from around here, are you, boy."

Sigh, actually I won't miss Moscow this weekend. Our travels will
take us through it. At 35 mph.

Dillon Pyron

Jul 2, 2010, 3:32:51 PM7/2/10
[Default] Thus spake Ohioguy <no...@none.net>:

It actually doesn't matter if you choose to go ashore on whatever
island (too lazy to look). If the ship stops there, you need proper
documentation.

Charles

Jul 2, 2010, 3:40:55 PM7/2/10
Dillon Pyron <invalid...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> [Default] Thus spake Ohioguy <no...@none.net>:
>
>> I ended up getting both the Passport and the Passport Card on
> > Monday.
>> I was tempted to just get the Passport Card, but I checked over the
>> list of countries, and 1 stop in the Caribbean was not on the list.
>> This probably wouldn't have been a problem, because I'm not likely to
> > go
>> ashore a lot, but my wife seems to think we may possibly fly to
> > Europe
>> or somewhere in 5 or 6 years. I guess it will be convenient to
> > already
>> have the passport, if so.
>
> It actually doesn't matter if you choose to go ashore on whatever
> island (too lazy to look). If the ship stops there, you need proper
> documentation.

Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
not.

--
Charles

Ari Silverstein

Jul 2, 2010, 3:51:59 PM7/2/10

States are howling over the imposition of the Real ID card but in
Florida, to get a DL, you have to meet the Fed standards for ID. Which
is one of these, two of those, five of something else. I know. I
didn't have a SS card and being self-employed, they wouldn't take my
W-2 as a piece of the ID puzzle (which has ny SSN on it).

What this tells me is that they are playing the Fed's ID game
preparing for the inevitable transition to the Real ID card.

> I actually like that scenario. When they bust you for not appearing,
> ask for a jury trial.

That's evil.
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
www.cruisequick.com - able to offer some of the lowest prices and best

Jack Hamilton

Jul 2, 2010, 5:17:26 PM7/2/10
On 2 Jul 2010 19:40:55 GMT, Charles <fo...@his.com.remove.invalid> wrote:

>Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
>documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
>not.

Is that true of crew members as well?

Ari Silverstein

Jul 2, 2010, 9:04:39 PM7/2/10

Absolutely.

Dillon Pyron

Jul 14, 2010, 2:25:35 PM7/14/10
[Default] Thus spake Ari Silverstein <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

>On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 14:17:26 -0700, Jack Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On 2 Jul 2010 19:40:55 GMT, Charles <fo...@his.com.remove.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Good point. They would not even let him board the ship without
>>>documentation good for all the ports whether he got off at the ports or
>>>not.
>>
>> Is that true of crew members as well?
>
>Absolutely.

Several years ago we did an inspection of the Carnival Paradise, but
were delayed about an hour because ICE was doing a complete crew
documents check. These are surprise checks. There's some sort of
visa you're supposed to get that's intended for seamen who will not be
in port for more than a certain limited amount of time. They can't
actually leave the port area.

Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

Jul 14, 2010, 3:14:41 PM7/14/10
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:25:35 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:

> [Default] Thus spake Ari Silverstein <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

>>> Is that true of crew members as well?
>>
>>Absolutely.
>
> Several years ago we did an inspection of the Carnival Paradise, but
> were delayed about an hour because ICE was doing a complete crew
> documents check. These are surprise checks. There's some sort of
> visa you're supposed to get that's intended for seamen who will not be
> in port for more than a certain limited amount of time.

It's a non-immigrating visa.

> They can't
> actually leave the port area.

Really? Cruise line restriction or visa restriction? What if they have
a valid passport?

--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services

Sign up for special email deals @ www.CruiseQuick.com - able to offer

Dillon Pyron

Jul 24, 2010, 11:08:18 PM7/24/10
[Default] Thus spake "Ari Silverstein, C.T.A."
<AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

>On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:25:35 -0500, Dillon Pyron wrote:
>
>> [Default] Thus spake Ari Silverstein <AriSilv...@yahoo.com>:

>>>Absolutely.
>>
>> Several years ago we did an inspection of the Carnival Paradise, but
>> were delayed about an hour because ICE was doing a complete crew
>> documents check. These are surprise checks. There's some sort of
>> visa you're supposed to get that's intended for seamen who will not be
>> in port for more than a certain limited amount of time.
>
>It's a non-immigrating visa.

Not exactly. There are many, many non-immigrating visas that don't
permit one to legally "work" in the US.

>> They can't
>> actually leave the port area.
>
>Really? Cruise line restriction or visa restriction? What if they have
>a valid passport?

Depends on where they're from. Visa waiver country? No problem, but
then they don't need one in the first place, so the question is moot.

Pakistan, correct. In theory they can't get past security. Practice
is a different story.