Wakeboard or Kneeboard; which one?

Randy

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
I'm trying to decide which to buy, a wakeboard, or a kneeboard. Both
seem like a lot of fun, but what's the difference. My wife and I are
both good skiers, so ability isn't the question. Any opinions on the
matter: Wakeboard or Kneeboard, which should I buy?

JIM KNABB

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
In <4cq2pl$p...@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com> boa...@ix.netcom.com(JIM KNABB )
writes:

>Hi all,Iwas in the same dilemma and would reccomend if you cant afford
>both to either borrow or rent them first.They are both fun but very
>different.Im a ok skier and found wake boarding a blast.I thought I
>would have no problem with the wake board but have not got up on one
>yet.Gosh I hated to admit that...Good boating
> Jim Knabb
>boa...@ix.netcom.com
If I could just type.Meant to say knee boarding a blast...
Jim

David Burton

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
JIM KNABB (boa...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: In <4cq2pl$p...@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com> boa...@ix.netcom.com(JIM KNABB )

: writes:
: >
: >In <4cq3eq$7...@Twain.MO.NET> Randy <dav...@illini.net> writes:
: >>
: >>I'm trying to decide which to buy, a wakeboard, or a kneeboard. Both

: >>seem like a lot of fun, but what's the difference. My wife and I are

: >>both good skiers, so ability isn't the question. Any opinions on the

: >>matter: Wakeboard or Kneeboard, which should I buy?

: >>

Definitely get both, both are fun, but different. If you
have both you can slalom until your arms are too tired, then
kneeboard until your knees give out, then wakeboard for the
rest of the day since it's not a real strain on any specific
body part.

Just don't get on of those 'poly' kneeboards. I have one of those
as well as an O'brien Airageous. The poly board handles like
a pig, the Airageous is infinitely more agile and much easier to
get air with. Definitely get a decent compression molded kneeboard.

dav...@mcm.hp.com

Nancy Reynolds

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
to dav...@illini.net
Check out a new wakeboard that just hit the market. It's called the
Liquid Force, and is a hot new twin tip, with a lot of rocker which
should make it a good board for getting big air. It is shaped a lot like
the "69" , and is fairly lightweight. I heard it was designed by Tony
Finn, who helped creat the sport with the original Skurfer.

Ski ya later......

Oh, and btw, weather in San Diego is about 80 degrees, and more glassy
water than I can handle............. If I can just file down the wounds
on my hands, I think I'll make it to the weekend to ski some more.

Billyboard

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
Are you planning on buying whichever one the newsgroup suggests?

If so, then IMHO get a wakeboard. I know alot of people who would say a
wakeboard can provide more fun...but very few who feel that way about a
kneeboard. And PLEASE...I am not trying to start an us vs them contest. I
don't have anything against kneeboarding...I'm just answering a question
which asked for my opinion.

But...
You're better off trying each one a few times and then buying whichever
you enjoy the most. Of course, if one likes the wakeboard and one likes
the kneeboard...well, try and work it out!

Have fun.

Bill

SidBitchin'

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
In article <4cq3eq$7...@Twain.MO.NET>
Randy <dav...@illini.net> wrote:
>:I'm trying to decide which to buy, a wakeboard, or a kneeboard. Both
>:seem like a lot of fun, but what's the difference. My wife and I are
>:both good skiers, so ability isn't the question. Any opinions on the
>:matter: Wakeboard or Kneeboard, which should I buy?
>:
>:

Hello Randy:

There seems to be a mad rush towards wakeboards these days. Kinda funny to see
boats doing 18-20 mph trying to get the BIGGEST wake they can..... Used to be
just the opposite, Boats were designed to get the SMALLEST wakes they
could.....

As far as deciding between a wakeboard and a kneeboard; Have you tried both?
They are two different animals. Both have they're good and not so good points.
Both are pretty easy to learn the basics. Wakeboards were a little harder to
learn how to get up on for me. A boom makes the basics, at least getting up
and going, a whole lot easier.....

I'm by no means an expert but here are some things I would consider:

Kneeboards are hard on the knees. I've had serious problems with the knees and
I just can't ride a kneeboard any more. The more I think about it too, the
kneeboard could very well have been the culprit of my knee problems to begin
with. Albeit, the kneeboards today are much better padded than the original
Hydro-slide I used to ride.... that 1\2" of foam didn't do too much to soften
rough landings. If you or your wife have any knee problems at all, the
kneeboard might be out.

Wakeboards are a blast once you get the hang of them but they can throw the
timing of your skiing off. If you're die hard skiiers trying to perfect *the
rhythm*, do your skiing first. The slow wakeboards seem to make you feel like
your doing mach 2 on a ski. Kinda hard to make the adjustment for me anyway.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, and I know opinions come in all different
shapes and sizes..... I would spend as much time on both as I could to make an
educated decision....

Sid

Trevor Nysetvold

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
If I could only have one, I'd pick the wakeboard. If it is too rough to
slalom, it's too rough for me to kneeboard (hard on the back), but
there's a good chance it's still ok to wakeboard.
--
Trevor Nysetvold
nyse...@cadvision.com

?????

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
In <4cq3eq$7...@Twain.MO.NET> Randy <dav...@illini.net> writes:

>I'm trying to decide which to buy, a wakeboard, or a kneeboard. Both
>seem like a lot of fun, but what's the difference. My wife and I are
>both good skiers, so ability isn't the question. Any opinions on the
>matter: Wakeboard or Kneeboard, which should I buy?

You really need them both. It's just a matter of which should come
first. I have two of each ( No, I'm not trying to start a collection).
They're two totally different things, and you need to demo them both
before making a decision. Ski ya!

Billyboard

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
In article <4cu2cn$q...@ixnews8.ix.netcom.com>, Nancy Reynolds
<kids...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>Oh, and btw, weather in San Diego is about 80 degrees, and more glassy
>water than I can handle............. If I can just file down the wounds
>on my hands, I think I'll make it to the weekend to ski some more.

Hope you get sunburn!

Paul Oman

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
I agree with the suggestion to at least try both because they are so different.
If finances are a limiting factor, I'd suggest going with a cheaper kneeboard
rather than wakeboard for 2 reasons. First is that some people just can't
kneeboard due to the strain on knees and arches. While better boards will help
a lot, if it's intolerable on a cheap board, the improvement probably won't be
enough to really enjoy the sport. The second reason is that in my experience,
the tricks you learn early on a kneeboard, (getting up and doing surface turns)
should be easy to do on a good board once learned on a cheap board but those for
wakeboards, (getting up and wake jumping) will more likely require some re-
learning if you upgrade. Also, it'll probably be easier to find a cheap
kneeboard since they seem to have more variation in price - and quality.

Please keep in mind that these are the opinions of a person who's mediocre at
best in both sports. I have at least gotten through the early learning stages
and still enjoy both but my preference is still for slalom and barefoot.

Paul Oman, (po...@vnet.ibm.com)
IBM Rochester, Minnesota
(507)253-4232

Brad Birlew

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96

>JIM KNABB (boa...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: In <4cq2pl$p...@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com> boa...@ix.netcom.com(JIM KNABB )
>: writes:
>: >In <4cq3eq$7...@Twain.MO.NET> Randy <dav...@illini.net> writes:
>: >>I'm trying to decide which to buy, a wakeboard, or a kneeboard. Both
>: >>seem like a lot of fun, but what's the difference. My wife and I are
>: >>both good skiers, so ability isn't the question. Any opinions on the
>: >>matter: Wakeboard or Kneeboard, which should I buy?

Have you tried trickskis at all? They are easy to get up on, and you
will never run out of tricks to learn. The water is never too rough to
trick, and the falls don't hurt either. I own a wakeboard and kneeboard
as well, but both of those toys combined havent been on the water half as
much as my trick.
Kneeboards can be great fun, but can be a little hard on the knees, and
I'm considering giving up wakeboarding after I broke a bone in my foot
this summer doing a reverse back flip. The best thing to do (as many
people have already pointed out) is to try both of them, but I just
wanted to remind everyone to give tricking a chance.

Flipper

George Gallop

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
I found that Knee Boarding is easier to get started with. Also if
you plan to take younger children along then they can have a blast
with the KneeBoard quite quickly -- they seem to find the Wakeboard
too hard to get up on.

But as has been commented before, how long can you kneal for? My
knees get sore after 20 minutes.

Also unless the water is like glass a knee board is pretty hard to
ride whearas you can still give the wakeboard a go (most of the time).

The wakeboard is the way to go for pure fun, I can do basic tricks on
the knee board, but I like the wakeboard better.

Do what I did, start with a pretty good knee board and a basic
Wakeboard (go for a 3 fin one), if you like the wakeboard, trade the
basic wakeboard in for a decent wakeboard. I still have the
kneeboard for when kids come along.

Have fun!

Vern Soehner

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
IMHO,,,, Get the wakeboard, easier starting, more challenges to overcome which
give more rewards. i.e. Crossing wakes, jumping wakes, 180's, going backwards.
The wakeboard is just a little more challeging. Get adjustable boots which can
be quickly rotated for left or right foot forward persons. ALso remember that
18 mph is all you need for wakeboard. Its also just plain easier on the back
and the knees. Try them both if you can.

In article <4d0fr2$m...@locutus.rchland.ibm.com>,

G1FOOTER

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
Pick up a wakeboard at your nearest Pro Waterski Shop ASAP. Read the
WS Mag reviews then let the sales person help into the right board (
hopefully they have ridden most of them ). Don't worry too much
about the first board purchased, you WILL be buying another with in the
first couple of years - Just to get that extra bit of air and performance
you now need.