Timex Ironman dies again - Replace with what?

Doug Kraus

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Ok, this is my second timex ironman watch that died on me. The first one was
almost 4 years old and bit it in the mud pit at a Hi-Tec Adventure Race. The
second one died on me while in my jacket pocket skiing last weekend. It was
working all day, then inside at the end of the day it was blank. It was only
about a year and a half old. So, here's my questions:

1. How long do the batteries last, typically?
2. Any suggestions about other brands besides the timex ironman?
3. Anybody tried out the new timex ironman heart rate monitors? Are they as
good as my Polar?

Thanks for any and all help. Timex says to send it in and they'll fix it in
4-6 weeks. I guess they don't understand that some people DO actually use
them to train.

--
Doug Kraus
"Triturtle"

Sea2river

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Doug,

Simply replace the battery. If you are new to such maintenance, take it to a
jeweler and ask him/her to show you how best to do it. If you err in your
replacement procedure, you may lose the 'water resistant' capability.

Bob Williams
>Doug Kraus wrote:

>Ok, this is my second timex ironman watch that died on me. The first one was
>almost 4 years old and bit it in the mud pit at a Hi-Tec Adventure Race. The
>second one died on me while in my jacket pocket skiing last weekend. It was
>working all day, then inside at the end of the day it was blank. It was only
>about a year and a half old. So, here's my questions:
>
>1. How long do the batteries last, typically?

------------
Bob Williams
55-59
Severna Park, MD
Sea2...@aol.com

johnn...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
The stock Timex IM battery normally lasts me at least 4-5 years.

Other suggestion would be Casio or Freestyle, both of whom make decent
cheap digital watches. If it were me, though, I'd probably just motor
out to my local KTargetWalmartClub and pick up another ~$25 Timex
Triathlon or Ironman model.

I haven't tried the new Timex HRM's, but I've heard reports that they
are slow to respond to changes in intensity, probably due to the
algorythm used. Still, they're a lot cheaper and more attractive than
anyting Polar makes.

In article <elcQ5.146$R6.1...@news03.micron.net>,

"Doug Kraus" <dak...@micron.net> wrote:
> Ok, this is my second timex ironman watch that died on me. The first
one was
> almost 4 years old and bit it in the mud pit at a Hi-Tec Adventure
Race. The
> second one died on me while in my jacket pocket skiing last weekend.
It was
> working all day, then inside at the end of the day it was blank. It
was only
> about a year and a half old. So, here's my questions:
>
> 1. How long do the batteries last, typically?

> 2. Any suggestions about other brands besides the timex ironman?
> 3. Anybody tried out the new timex ironman heart rate monitors? Are
they as
> good as my Polar?
>
> Thanks for any and all help. Timex says to send it in and they'll fix
it in
> 4-6 weeks. I guess they don't understand that some people DO actually
use
> them to train.
>
> --
> Doug Kraus
> "Triturtle"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

J.J. Waguespack

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
In my opinion there's only 1 watch in the world worth owning, a Timex Ironman
Datalink. It stores phone numbers, alarms, a second time zone, along with the
regular stuff. And you hold it in front of your computer to update the info.
Also the single start/split button is a huge improvement over the 2 button
design.

J.J.

tri-stv

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
In article <elcQ5.146$R6.1...@news03.micron.net>,
"Doug Kraus" <dak...@micron.net> wrote:

> 1. How long do the batteries last, typically?

No idea; I always lose mine after 2.5 years or so.

> 2. Any suggestions about other brands besides
> the timex ironman?

I have several friends who've owned the Nike large-face watch. As
someone who scratches the face of his watch within 2 weeks of
purchasing it, the lead-crystal face is appealing. However, I have
heard from several people that the batteries dies quickly and that it
is impossible to find replacements. Certainly not a scientific survey,
so I'd be interested in other reports

Brian Wagner

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
johnn...@my-deja.com wrote:

> The stock Timex IM battery normally lasts me at least 4-5 years.
>
> Other suggestion would be Casio or Freestyle, both of whom make decent
> cheap digital watches. If it were me, though, I'd probably just motor
> out to my local KTargetWalmartClub and pick up another ~$25 Timex
> Triathlon or Ironman model.

It's a shame Casio doesn't seem interested in making a multi-lap
training watch.
I was at Walmart the other day, and saw that Armitron has a 100 lap and
a 300 lap watch for $15 and $24, respectively. Armitron watches are
usually crap, but at those prices, consider it disposable.

Ronnie Godwin

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00

I'm a retail jeweler and ALL the watches on the market today have batteries
that any full service jeweler should stock, either 1.5 or 3 volt.
DO NOT let employees of KMarts, etc. change your batteries. We make a lot
of $$ from Kmarts, etc. screwing up watches changing batteries. Many
national chain jewelry store do not have competant folks to change them
either. Also Everedy is much better watch battery than a Renata, which
some places stock. We have seen too many leakages from Renata over the
years. Hope this helps.

Philip Squire

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
Damnit, I'll have to bin the Rolex and the palm pilot then ;-)

Phil
J.J. Waguespack <jsqu...@gnofn.org> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3A1178DE...@gnofn.org...

Doug Kraus

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
I went to my local Gaylan's Sports store and checked out what they had. They
sold G-Shock, Nike, Freestyle, Timex, Casio and a couple of others. After
playing with them all for what seemed to the clerk like years, I made my
decision.....

The Timex Ironman Triahtlon - $39. The buttons are just like my old ironman,
but the design is much sleeker and form fitting. It will fit under the cuff
of my wetsuit much easier. I supposed at $39 I shouldn't bitch if I do only
get 2 years out of the thing. That's chump change compared to the cost of
jogmate and cytomax over the course of two years.

--
Doug Kraus
"Triturtle"
"Doug Kraus" <dak...@micron.net> wrote in message

> Ok, this is my second timex ironman watch that died on me. The first one
was
> almost 4 years old and bit it in the mud pit at a Hi-Tec Adventure Race.
The
> second one died on me while in my jacket pocket skiing last weekend. It
was
> working all day, then inside at the end of the day it was blank. It was
only
> about a year and a half old. So, here's my questions:
>

> 1. How long do the batteries last, typically?

> 2. Any suggestions about other brands besides the timex ironman?

Tom Henderson

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
I've had mine for 3 years this xmas and love it! I repalced the 1st battery about
a year ago. Nashbar had them on clearance for $35 and I now have one in a box in
case I break this one.

Brian Wagner

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
Doug Kraus wrote:

> get 2 years out of the thing. That's chump change compared to the cost of
> jogmate and cytomax over the course of two years.

Jogmate costs nothing if you do enough of the right races each year and
have BIG pockets in your singlet.<G>

JJ

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
I got 2-3 years out of the first battery and it wasn't rocket science to replace. (if
you have a small enough screwdriver)

J.J.

Kathy Williams

Nov 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/17/00
Doug:

The Nike sports watches are nice, and I can read them while swimming!
They're pricey, and I had to take mine to a coupla jewelers before one would
change the battery, but it still works. I've had 3 Timex triathlons go
south after battery changes: one got wet after a battery change, another's
crystal went "POP" while ascending in an airplane, and my most recent's
beeper is weak.

TW