Which sport shoes is better for table tennis?

Misha Sushchik

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

David P. Krasnow wrote:

> I would recommend volleyball shoes.
> Dave

You know, I was looking for some volleyball shoes that would seem
reasonable for table tennis and could not find any. Some are too big (my
foot feels funny in them), others have a sole that is not flat and/or
too high. The best of what I found was sold at about $60. Isn't it more
reasonable to buy shoes sold by TT distributors if it costs about the
same? It is possible, of course that I was not looking hard enough...

Misha.

Jim Short

Sep 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/4/97

Matthew Clune wrote:

> I was calling around the San Diego area for volleyball shoes; not many
> places carry them. They are recommended because they are light, have a bit
> more foot support than TT shoes, and have gum rubber soles for a good grip
> on indoor surfaces.
>
> My problem makes it even harder to find volleyball shoes; I need a wide
> shoe (buying regular width in a longer size adds weight and a toe to "trip"
> over). One store recommended a New Balance "cross trainer" model 756 at $49
> or model 655 at $59 (I may have reversed the prices--perhaps the model 756
> sells for $59). The objective is to get a light, gum rubber shoe with
> adequate foot support. I'll have to check out the cross trainers soon.

I also have very wide feet and have found various Nike cross-trainers to
work very well for me. I've never tried the New Balance.

jim

Larry Hodges

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

sk...@elink.net wrote:

> Finally I looked at
> running shoes and found what (for me) is the best shoe

Unless these running shoes are designed differently than any I've seen,
don't they affect your side-to-side movement, as well as putting you in
danger of a sprained ankle? I've always considered running shoes to be
the WORSE shoe to wear. Am I missing something?

Under normal circumstances, the best shoes should be table tennis or
volleyball shoes. However, some people need more support than others,
especially if playing on concrete. One solution is to wear two pairs of
socks. Brtian Masters (former U.S. Team Member) buys shoes a size too
large, and wears three pairs of socks when he plays.

Tennis/basketball shoes or cross trainers are good for those who need
extra support, but I've always thought they slow a player down.

-Larry Hodges

Lee M Haefele

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

Excerpts from netnews.rec.sport.table-tennis: 5-Sep-97 Re: Which sport
shoes is be.. by sk...@elink.net
> I have tried a few different shoes in the past year, from TT shoes to
> cross trainers. They were either to heavy, or had no support. In july
> I spent a week going around trying on wrestling shoes, martial Arts
> shoes, cross trainers, and nothing fit the bill. Finally I looked at
> running shoes and found what (for me)is the best shoe, it's light ,
> has great support and is comfortable it's made by New Balance and is
> called the 825 light.

What I've heard from buying running shoes is that any side to side
motion, including that from normal walking, will cause running shoes to
wear out extremely quickly. I can't imagine what TT does to the average
pair. Perhaps those are a special breed.

DaveArmstr

Sep 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/5/97

Greetings,

FYI -- www.newbalance.com does exist -- it looks like the 825 is close to
a cross-trainer (the sole looks less wide than pure running shoes). New
Balance is of interest to those of us with less (or more) than average feet
-- they actually have widths for many of their models. However, finding
those widths is a different matter entirely <G>....you probably won't find
them at much of a discount...

>Unless these running shoes are designed differently than any I've seen,
don't they affect your side-to-side movement, as well as putting you in
danger of a sprained ankle? I've always considered running shoes to be the
WORSE shoe to wear. <

I agree with Larry that normal running shoes can be the worst choice one
can make... I recently (for some reason) forgot to change shoes when I
started playing -- drilling forehand counter drives (with little lateral
footwork) was not much of a problem, but the first time I looped -- big
difference...and not a good one.

I would also like to find an alternate shoe that has more cushioning and
support than TT shoes for when I play on less than ideal surfaces.
Volleyball shoes sound like the thing, but I have a hard time finding them
(especially ones that fit)...the New Balance site lets you search for
volleyball shoes, but, of course, they don't actually make any!

Does anyone have specific experience with a particular type of volleyball
shoe? Brands? Good place to buy? TIA

One more question -- why the heck are all these shoes so darn ugly? <G>

...Dave...
Dave_Ar...@compuserve.nospam.please.com
Chicago area, IL, USA

Matt F. Cary

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

In article <19970905174...@ladder01.news.aol.com> davea...@aol.com (DaveArmstr) writes:

>Does anyone have specific experience with a particular type of volleyball
>shoe? Brands? Good place to buy? TIA

I am currently wearing Mizuno volleyball shoes that I am very
pleased with. I need extra arch support and have wide feet, so
I wouldn't buy shoes mail-order or on the Web, but if you want
an idea of some of the models that are available, the best places
I have found so far are Spike Nashbar at http://www.nashbar.com/
and SportSite Direct at http://www.sportsitedirect.com/

--
Matt Cary Blade: ASTI Polaris (Carbon)
ca...@nas.nasa.gov Rubber: Apex Lightspeed Attack 2.0

DaveArmstr

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

> I am currently wearing Mizuno volleyball shoes that I am very
> pleased with. I need extra arch support and have wide feet, so
> I wouldn't buy shoes mail-order or on the Web, but if you want
> an idea of some of the models that are available, the best places
> I have found so far are Spike Nashbar at http://www.nashbar.com/
> and SportSite Direct at http://www.sportsitedirect.com/

Thanks very much for the info, Matt. I just checked out those sites, and
the Mizuno's do look interesting. I'll have to try to find them locally,
as mail-order shoe purchase is not a good idea for me, either <G>.