FIFA meddling

(20118) Mark Willoughby (CAE)

Mar 26, 1993, 3:36:34 AM3/26/93

It has to be said, this has not been a good year for football, at least not in England.
The much touted Premier League has proved to be worse than the old division one, and the injury situation is the worst anyone can remember. My point? The reason, or at least one of the reasons, for the decline, has been the new back pass rule.

The English game has been too fast and physical for years now, major honours have still largely gone to skillful teams, but there are an increasing number of teams composed of big fast players who 'spoil' teams that visit them.

These teams are thriving under the new system, they play a disciplined offside trap, get a free kick thirty yards out and fill the box with players. When they have the ball they loft it up field and then 'compete' for it there. Meanwhile injuries to strikers are at an all time high because they have to chase more passes.

Who asked for these rules anyway? The players? The managers? Certainly not the fans.

Now the FIFA think tank wants to allow the referee to give goals that haven't crossed the line, and to replace the throw-in with a kick. Can you imagine that, any throw twenty to thirty yards out now becomes a free kick from which you can't be offside.
Let's not even mention splitting the game into quarters or introducing an instant replay official( which was so unpopular in American football that they stopped it).

Football should not be in the hands of people who are trying to make it more exciting and attractive for television, it belongs to the people who play it, and those who watch them, television is just a bonus for those who can't get there.

Experiments with the rules may occasionally be valid, but FIFA are beyond tinkering, and are on the verge of changing the game beyond recognition to please people who see football as a product.

To make the game better, we should scrap the back pass rule, and introduce a twenty five yard line; no offside before that point and no back passes from beyond it, other than that no changes. Even this rule should be tried in a few friendlies before enforcing it worldwide.

One last thing, does anybody know if schools and other youth leagues are using the back pass rule?

Mark Willoughby |Pardon him Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks
CAE Group |that the customs of his tribe and island are the
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, |laws of nature.
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon. | George Bernhard Shaw
OX11 0QX UK. | (Caesar and Cleopatra)
|Nottingham Forest Football Club ------- HE will not let us go down.|

Rich Coon

Mar 26, 1993, 12:49:17 PM3/26/93
In article <13...@hardy.rl.ac.uk> will...@wan.inf.rl.ac.uk writes:

>Football should not be in the hands of people who are trying to make it more exciting and attractive for television, it belongs to the people who play it, and those who watch them, television is just a bonus for those who can't get there.
>
>Experiments with the rules may occasionally be valid, but FIFA are beyond tinkering, and are on the verge of changing the game beyond recognition to please people who see football as a product.

I posted this awhile back and while I agree with the above (I am somewhat of a purist), the game
is going to change, whether it's FIFA, the players, the fans or whoever, the game is going to
change.

The following was given to me by a fellow wanker (referee), it supposedly is the "first"
written laws after the split of rugby and football. Enjoy.

Soccer Football Laws
1863

The maximum length of the ground shall be 200 yards, the maximum breadth shall be 100
yards, the length and breadth shall be marked off with flags and the goal shall be
defined by two upright posts, 8 yards apart, without any tape or bar across them.

II
The Game shall be commenced by a place kick from the centre of the ground by the side
winning the toss, the other side shall not approach within 10 yards of the ball until
it is kicked off. After a goal is won the losing side shall be entitled to a kick
off.

III
The two sides shall change goals after each goal is won.

IV
A goal shall be won when the ball passes over the space between the goal posts (at
whatever height), not being thrown, knocked on, or carried.

When the ball is in touch, the first player who touches it shall kick or throw it
from the point on the boundary line where it left the ground, in a direction at
right angles with the boundary lines.

VI
A player shall be out of play immediately if he is in front of the ball, and must return
behind the ball as soon as possible. If the ball is kicked past a player by his own
side, he shall not touch or kick it or advance until one of the other side has first
kicked it or one of his own side on a level with or in front of him has been able to
kick it.

VII
In the case the ball goes behind the goal line, if a player on the side whom the goal
belongs first touches the ball, one of his side shall be entitled to a free kick from
the goal line at the point opposite the place where the ball shall be touched. If a
player of the opposite side first touches the ball, one of his side shall be entitled
to a free kick from a point 15 yards outside the goal line, opposite the plave where the
ball is touched.

VIII
If a player makes a fair catch he shall be entitled to a free kick, provided he claims
it by making a mark with his heel at once: and in order to take such kick he may go as
far back as he pleases, and no player on the opposite side shall advance beyond his
mark until he has kicked.

IX
A player shall be entitled to run with the ball toward his adversaries' goal if he
makes a fair catch, or catches the ball on the first bound: but in the case of a fair
catch, if he makes his mark, he shall not then run.

If any player shall run with the ball towards his adversaries' goal, any player on
the opposite side shall be at liberty to charge, hold, trip, or hack him, or to wrest
the ball from him: but no player shall be held and hacked at the same time.

XI
Neither tripping or hacking shall be allowed, and no player shall use his hands, or
elbows to hold or push his adversary, except in the case provided for by Law X.

XII
Any player shall be allowed to charge another, provided they are both in active play.
A player shall be allowed to charge even he is out of play.

XIII
A player shall be allowed to throw the ball or pass it to another if he makes a fair
catch, or catches the ball on the first bound.

XIV
No player shall be allowed to wear projecting nails, iron plates, or gutta percha on
the souls or heels of his shoes.

Definitions:

Place Kick is a kick at the ball while it on the ground in any position which the kicker
may chose to place it.

Free Kick is the privilege of kicking the ball, without obstruction, in such manner as
the kicker may think fit.

Fair Catch is when the ball is caught, after it has touched the person of an adversary
or has been kicked, knocked on, or thrown by an adversary, and before it has touched
the ground or one of the side catching it: but if the ball is knocked from out of
touch, or from behind the goal line, a fair catch cannot be made.

Hacking is kicking an adversary on the front of the leg, below th knee.

Tripping is throwing an adversary by the use of the legs without hands, and without
hacking or charging.

Charging is attacking an adversary with the shoulder, chest, or body, without using the
hands or legs.

Knocking on is when a player strikes or propels the ball with his hands, arms or body,
without kicking or throwing it.

Holding includes the obstruction of a player by the hand or any part of the arm below
the elbow.

Touch is that part of the field, on either side of the ground, which is beyond the
line of flags.

_____________

Rich Coon
San Jose, CA, USA

JZeevi%Veh...@d26vs046a.ccf.swri.edu

Mar 26, 1993, 4:48:39 PM3/26/93
--------------------------------

reason, or at least one of the reasons, for the decline, has been the new
back pass rule.
--------------------------------
You must be kidding.

--------------------------------

there. Meanwhile injuries to strikers are at an all time high because they
have to chase more passes.

--------------------------------
I guess ball skills will become required.

---------------------------------

Who asked for these rules anyway? The players? The managers? Certainly not
the fans.

---------------------------------
The playing associations. The IFAB. FIFA. The FA, SFA. Mostly everybody.

---------------------------------

Now the FIFA think tank wants to allow the referee to give goals that haven't
crossed the line,

---------------------------------
Really? You're the only one I know stating this as fact.

-----------------------------------

and to replace the throw-in with a kick. Can you imagine that, any throw
twenty to thirty yards out now becomes a free kick from which you can't be
offside.

------------------------------------
Wow, you've got a great source of information. In the US, this is still
thought to be an experiment - of unknown detail.

--------------------------------------

Let's not even mention splitting the game into quarters or introducing an
instant replay official( which was so unpopular in American football that
they stopped it).

-------------------------------------
We won't if you won't.

--------------------------------------

To make the game better, we should scrap the back pass rule, and introduce a
twenty five yard line; no offside before that point and no back passes from
beyond it, other than that no changes. Even this rule should be tried in a
few friendlies before enforcing it worldwide.

---------------------------------------
It was tried in the US's NASL - with less than stellar success.

One last thing, does anybody know if schools and other youth leagues are
using the back pass rule?

Yes, it's the law.

* josef Zeevi * *
* Southwest Research Institute * *
* voice : (210)522-5389 * *
* email : jze...@swri.edu * *

John F. Leghorn Kramer

Mar 26, 1993, 5:50:41 PM3/26/93
In article <930326214...@deepthought.cs.utexas.edu> JZeevi%VehRes%swr...@D26VS046A.CCF.SwRI.EDU writes:

>-----------------------------------
>and to replace the throw-in with a kick. Can you imagine that, any throw
>twenty to thirty yards out now becomes a free kick from which you can't be
>offside.
>------------------------------------
>Wow, you've got a great source of information. In the US, this is still
>thought to be an experiment - of unknown detail.

There was a post a few days ago that indicated that the next World
Youth finals will use this. Time to get off the slippery slope...

Christopher S. Allen

Mar 26, 1993, 11:29:52 PM3/26/93
>...or at least one of the reasons, for the decline, has been the new
> back pass rule.

Please help me out here. Why is it there have been no complaints from
the German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Belgian, Latin, (perhaps even
Scottish, I don't remember), etc. about the "terrible" backpass rule.

It seems to me that the problem is raised only by those people whose
defenders aren't skillful enough to get out of trouble in their own end.
I have seen a large number of Italian, Mexican, South American, and
German matches this year and the backpass rule seems to be no problem.
In fact, it has considerably speeded up play.

Let me offer a different hypothesis: those teams that rely most heavily
on the long hoof to get it out of their own end (Jackie Charlton, this
means you), may not have defenders who are agile enough to build from
the back. This is not to slight the skills of defenders for such teams,
but if they have not been involved in this kind of play, it has taken
them longer to acclimate to the new rule, hence the complaints.

Solution: practice passing in your own end, defenders. This is not
rocket science.

Best, Chris

| Prof. Christopher S. Allen Voice: (706) 542-2984 |
| Political Science Department FAX: (706) 542-4421 |
| University of Georgia Bitnet: csa...@uga.bitnet |
| Athens, GA 30602 - USA Internet: csa...@uga.cc.uga.edu |

Debating Society, Dublin City University

Mar 27, 1993, 1:40:44 PM3/27/93
Could I take up two of the points raised by the current discussion:

(1) By & large, fans & players ( if I could speak for most of Europe) find
the back-pass rule to be a success for the following reasons:

(a) It stops time wasting - particularly in key matches & knockout
competitions.
(b) Adds to general excitement & skill. In the past, defenders could
get away with 0 ability to pass the ball creatively. If a
very simple pass wasn't on the keeper was always used to
boot the ball upfield. Now more skill with the ball is
required of defenders under pressure.

(2) Chris Allen made a reference to Jack Charlton when citing teams who
use the "boot it up the park" strategy of attack/defense.
I think you are using a stereo-typed image of a past feature of Ireland's
game ( 1986 -1988 when it was true that Quinn/Cascarino were used as targets
quite a lot by bad crossers of the ball ( Chris Morris ) & good crossers
( Kevin Sheedy ) alike.

Anyone who has seen Ireland playing recently will acknowledge that our
style of play may have a foundation of solid defense & strong midfield but
a more entertaining, creative & effective means of getting the ball to the
forwards is played.

The long kick out continues to be a feature of the Irish game, but this is
true for most European sides ( save perhaps Denmark but only b/c Schmeichel
can throw the ball further than many keepers can kick it ). Long passes from
defense are still played by Staunton, Phelan & Irwin, but these players
actually pass the ball rather than hit-it-&-hope.

You may not have seen the Irish sides recent WC qualifiers, but I'm sure
even the Danes & Spanish will admit that we played attacking, passing
football, and not the kick-it-upfield-if-it-comes-near-you game that you
have suggested.

Regards,

Brian Looney,
Dublin City University

Christopher S. Allen

Mar 27, 1993, 6:42:04 PM3/27/93
Attn: Brian Looney

I didn't know whether I would anger the Irish or the English with the
Charlton reference. <g> OK, point well taken.

However, it does seem like most of the complaints about the backpass
rule have come from England and that's where the "hoof it up the park"
'strategy' still has the most currency. As you and I both suggest,
defenders who play that way never get a chance to develop the skills to
bring it out any other way. Hence the complaints.

S H Bourne

Mar 29, 1993, 7:05:11 PM3/29/93
Christopher S. Allen (CSA...@uga.cc.uga.edu) wrote:
: Attn: Brian Looney

: However, it does seem like most of the complaints about the backpass

: rule have come from England and that's where the "hoof it up the park"
: 'strategy' still has the most currency. As you and I both suggest,
: defenders who play that way never get a chance to develop the skills to
: bring it out any other way. Hence the complaints.

I thought it was the goalies who have been doing most of the complaining,
I can only remember 1 goalie in England agreeing with it (Tim Flowers I think),
I've seen many sliced clearances etc. from relatively easy balls, or even
complete misses as in Schmical (PFA Prem. league goalie of the year) against
Ipswich that have ended in goals against.

The Back pass rule still has to settle down with goalies often uncertain
whether a back pass has been commited or not, but the rule is certainly
a plus for the fans - More goals less Time wasting.

| Stuart Bourne | Department of Electrical Eng, |
| E-mail ee8...@brunel.ac.uk | Brunel University of West London.|