Wrestler/Comic Book Analogues...

Krusty

Oct 21, 2004, 11:56:16 PM10/21/04
Okay, like this...

Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair are arguably, Hulk and Superman. Flair would be the
Superman analogue because of his space and rank in the WCW "Universe". I
would tend to think of WCW as DC and WWE as Marvel. I'd think of Marvel
Superheroes when thinking of Comic Book analogues for WWE characters, and DC
when thinking of WCW analogues...like, who would be the biggest heel in WCW?
You could maybe say Vader could be a Luthor or a Joker...I could put Vince
McMahon as like...Thanos or something...more powerful than the mortals, and
able to kind of manipulate things overall in the WWE "Universe"...Ultimate
Warrior could be...say, Thor...a pretty powerful guy who had some potential,
but always ends up just being kinda useless. I could see Rick Rude as Tony
Stark/Iron Man...that works for me...

For WCW, I could, with a clear conscience, make Sting my DC Batman.
Steamboat's like...Green Lantern. Kevin Sullivan could be Elongated Man,
Ralph Dibney...you're always like, "why do they have him around? And when he
does something totally stupid, you go, "oh yeah, to laugh at...what an idiot
this guy is..." With Sting as Batman, it makes Flair Superman in my
eyes...the big cheese, the head honcho, the head nigga in charge, etc...Four
Horsemen...obviously the Justice League...come on...it's a gimme....

Any others? Were some of mine wrong? Silver Surfer? Daredevil? Spider-Man?
Fantastic Four? Who's Wonder Woman? Flash? Robin?

Krusty

Oct 22, 2004, 12:09:16 AM10/22/04
"Krusty" <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote...
> Okay, like this...
[snip]

Okay, after discussing this with stefan for like, two minutes...I'm open to
his idea that WWE is DC and WCW is more like Marvel...I can go from there
with Austin as Superman, Rock as Batman, McMahon as Lex Luthor...

I'm open...I can't think of any WCW stuff that works for Marvel very well
though...but I'm working on it...

Lord Hatred

Oct 22, 2004, 12:14:00 AM10/22/04
In article <Ax%dd.1122$yc5.2...@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
"Krusty" <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote:

I see DC And WWE closer and Marvel and WCW (non-cartoony years) to be
closer. WWE always had less "real" gimmicks like DC -- the opposite for
the most part with WCW and DC.

WCW to Marvel I see:
Flair - Spider-Man -- great workrate, always comedic but willing to step
out when needed
Four Horsemen - Fantastic Four -- Flair could always step out of the
Spider-Man role to become Human Torch or Mr Fantastic
Sting - Daredevil -- had his happy go lucky days and his dark days
Lex Luger - Captain America -- always overpushed and always sucks
mid-90s Chris Benoit - Wolverine come on
face Kevin Sullivan - D-Man

WWF/E to DC I see:
Hulk Hogan - Superman -- obviously
Macho Man - Batman -- again
Hurricane - Green Lantern obviously
Vince - Lex Luthor
John Cena - new Superboy
face Trish - Peter David written Supergirl
Victoria - Wonder Woman

Austin -

Greg Grant 333

Oct 22, 2004, 12:21:43 AM10/22/04

"Krusty" <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote in message

I'd see Kevin Sullivan more as Hawkman. He always comes back, even after
you think he waaaaaaay outlived his usefullness, and somehow manages to get
himself (booked) into big feuds and key storylines. As the latest example -
the Batman/Superman graphic novel recently released. Hawkman is there, for
some reason, and has an important role, and you can't figure out why.

DD - RVD. The man without fear (or care).

Spiderman - Shawn Michaels, a main eventer that carried the franchise during
the early ('90s for WWE, '60s for Marvel) years, was involved in historic
match-ups, went away for a while (bad booking in Marvel, "injury" in WWE),
and is now enjoying a big resurgence.

Wonder Woman - probably Alyndra Blaze/Medusa. An innovator of sorts in
terms of female presence (in wrestling in WCW). Started off a joke, went
through various incarnations, became an ass-kicker, and went way downhill
once the novelty wore off and better female heroes emerged (women that
actually wrestle).

Flash - '96 luchadores. Like the hero, many wore the mask and carried the
mantle of being the fastest, but each version was always shunted aside by
bigger heroes. Yet, important in terms of being involved in pivotal stories
(Flash dies at "Crisis", Rey Mysterio Jr. gets thrown into a trailer by
Kevin Nash at nWo invasion on Nitro).

aaron pynn

Oct 22, 2004, 12:31:24 AM10/22/04
I kinda see Vader as the Juggernaut(from the X-men).

Austin seems more Batman to me(his Character is darker after all DTA seems to be
Batman's motto)
The Rock is more of a Superman. He can be more humorous and will others around him
take him seriously he rarely does unless he needs too.

Damn....I am thinking way too much for a topic like this.

Message has been deleted

Lord Hatred

Oct 22, 2004, 12:47:43 AM10/22/04
In article <Xns958A61581501jo...@216.168.3.44>,
John Henry <j...@inNOSPAMsurgent.orgy> wrote:

> "Krusty" <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote in news:Ax%dd.1122$yc5.2005689
> @twister.southeast.rr.com:
>
> > Okay, like this...
>
> Kane = The Human Torch.
>
> Duh.

No. Kane = Mephisto.

HitMan333 with Gail Kim

Oct 22, 2004, 8:29:56 AM10/22/04
Krusty <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote:
> Okay, after discussing this with stefan for like, two minutes...I'm open to
> his idea that WWE is DC and WCW is more like Marvel...I can go from there
> with Austin as Superman, Rock as Batman, McMahon as Lex Luthor...
> I'm open...I can't think of any WCW stuff that works for Marvel very well
> though...but I'm working on it...

LOL, this thread rules. I would argue that Marvel should be WWE and DC
should be WCW though, because your average mark saw WWE as the "top brand",
just like they see Marvel as the "top brand".

--
"BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! BROCK LESNAR!!!!!" - Brock Lesnar
BROCK (BRAWK):

Krusty

Oct 22, 2004, 11:04:29 AM10/22/04
"HitMan333 with Gail Kim" <aa...@NOSPAMchebucto.ns.ca> wrote

> Krusty <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote:
>> Okay, after discussing this with stefan for like, two minutes...I'm open
>> his idea that WWE is DC and WCW is more like Marvel...I can go from there
>> with Austin as Superman, Rock as Batman, McMahon as Lex Luthor...
>> I'm open...I can't think of any WCW stuff that works for Marvel very well
>> though...but I'm working on it...
>
> LOL, this thread rules. I would argue that Marvel should be WWE and DC
> should be WCW though, because your average mark saw WWE as the "top
> brand",
> just like they see Marvel as the "top brand".

See, that was my thinking too.

I was picturing DC as the "grand ol' daddy" with the long history going back
to the "golden age" and Marvel as the hotshot upstart that introduced a
whole new way of doing things when they ushered in the silver age (also
known as buying all the territories). I saw McMahon as the latter day Stan
Lee, revolutionizing the product and ushering it into modern times.

Stefan's thinking ALSO makes sense...which is why this is an awesome thing
to talk about when you're stoned. We must've spent two hours on this last
night...

Lord Hatred

Oct 22, 2004, 11:20:36 AM10/22/04
In article <clb7ho$a28$1...@news3.infoave.net>,
"Krusty" <rspwk...@yahoo.com> wrote:

"We" in the 2 hours does not include me. But we may have spent 2 hours
talking about eBaymotors.

John McNeal

Oct 22, 2004, 12:21:02 PM10/22/04
"Krusty" <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<Ax%dd.1122$yc5.2...@twister.southeast.rr.com>...

No way is Ric Flair Superman. Superman is like the most well-known and
mainstream superhero ever, and people that aren't wrestling fans have
never heard of Flair. It's more like this:

Superman - Hulk Hogan

Ric Flair - Captain America (well known by comic fans, but outside of
comic fans only known by old timers that used to read comics as a kid)

The Rock - Spiderman (can be goofy and comedic, but is still a main
character that whoops butt)

Steve Austin - Venom (badass bad guy that was so well liked they made
him a good guy) or Batman (good guy that is supposed to be dark and
borderline between good/bad, but is actually just a big old boyscout
pretending to be dark)

Triple H - The Avengers (nobody cares about them but Marvel/WWE try to
market them as main characters)

Chris Benoit - Wolverine (supposed to be vicious but is really a
softie, and is Canadian too)

Kurt Angle - Booster Gold (funny but still manages to be credible, and
will never become one of the top tier superheroes)

Eddie Guererro - Deadpool (cheating, cowardly bad guy that was so
comically over the top he became popular and they turned him into a
good guy)

Andre The Giant - The Incredible Hulk

Randy Orton - Maverick

Ricky Steamboat - Iron Fist

Smart Ape - Proud Member of the Christian Coaltion

Oct 22, 2004, 12:36:09 PM10/22/04
Triple H: Thor
Lita: Gwen Stacy
Rey Mysterio (or Brad Armstrong): Spider-Man
Booker T: Luke Cage
Big Boss Man (heel): The Punisher
Ric Flair: Dr. Doom
Randy Orton: Cyclops
Miss Elizabeth: Mary Jane
La Parka: Death
Kurt Angle: Lex Luthor
Eddy Guerrero: Speedy
Chris Benoit: Deathsroke the Terminator

I could go on for hours, but I'm budy with monkey stuff...
--
--- "Damn dirty fleas..."
--- "Ever notice that at the start of a cartoon, Casper has no friends, and at the end, he has

Wayne S Garmil

Oct 22, 2004, 1:03:04 PM10/22/04
In article <51d54fca.04102...@posting.google.com>,
John McNeal <johnsca...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No way is Ric Flair Superman. Superman is like the most well-known and
>mainstream superhero ever, and people that aren't wrestling fans have
>never heard of Flair. It's more like this:
>
>Superman - Hulk Hogan

I disagree here for some simple reason: Superman would NEVER turn
heel. Hulk Hogan was a heel for quite a while (I think most of his
time in WCW), much longer than can be attributed to a Red Kryptonite
story. I am not sure what big name hero to apply to Hulk Hogan, but
Superman is not it.

>Ric Flair - Captain America (well known by comic fans, but outside of
>comic fans only known by old timers that used to read comics as a kid)
>
>The Rock - Spiderman (can be goofy and comedic, but is still a main
>character that whoops butt)

Good analogies for both of the above.

>Steve Austin - Venom

Sorry, but Venom has no good attributes at all. Steve Austin has a
good side that he rarely shows. So this one falls through as well.
I think Gambit (the popular heroic theif) may work better here.

>Triple H - The Avengers (nobody cares about them but Marvel/WWE try to
>market them as main characters)

No comment! :-) It's good to marry the boss's daughter!

>Chris Benoit - Wolverine (supposed to be vicious but is really a
>softie, and is Canadian too)

Duh!! Benoit's nickname is the Rabid Wolverine. So this one was
almost too easy to do :)

>Kurt Angle - Booster Gold (funny but still manages to be credible, and
>will never become one of the top tier superheroes)

Oh, that's cold! Accurate, but still cold.

>Eddie Guererro - Deadpool (cheating, cowardly bad guy that was so
>comically over the top he became popular and they turned him into a
>good guy)

Not familiar with Deadpool but if that is what happened to that
character, then I agree he fits Eddie.

>Andre The Giant - The Incredible Hulk

*sigh* rest in peace, gentle giant.

I am surprised that no one suggested wrestling's own super-hero, The
Hurricane. And it is VERY obvious he wants to be Grren Lantern :)

WildCard

--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes; I have to turn

Lord Hatred

Oct 22, 2004, 1:25:01 PM10/22/04
In article <51d54fca.04102...@posting.google.com>,
johnsca...@hotmail.com (John McNeal) wrote:

But -- the point was to make them analogous by company. Across the board
for both wrestling companies as Marvel (except for Booster Gold) is far
too easy.

Krusty

Oct 22, 2004, 1:43:35 PM10/22/04
"John McNeal" <johnsca...@hotmail.com> wrote
> Steve Austin - Venom

Okay, you had me all the way to here, then I figured out it was a
troll...lol...

;-)

Jon J. Yeager

Oct 22, 2004, 3:15:24 PM10/22/04
"Wayne S Garmil" <wga...@TheWorld.com> wrote in message

> In article <51d54fca.04102...@posting.google.com>,
> John McNeal <johnsca...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No way is Ric Flair Superman. Superman is like the most well-known and
>>mainstream superhero ever, and people that aren't wrestling fans have
>>never heard of Flair. It's more like this:
>>
>>Superman - Hulk Hogan
>
> I disagree here for some simple reason: Superman would NEVER turn
> heel. Hulk Hogan was a heel for quite a while (I think most of his
> time in WCW), much longer than can be attributed to a Red Kryptonite
> story. I am not sure what big name hero to apply to Hulk Hogan, but
> Superman is not it.

Superman HAS turned heel. Hell, we flat out saw him drunk and evil in the
mainstream movies. And I can't imagine he didn't lose it at least once in
the comics.

I agree with John... no one can be Superman but Hogan. He is far and away
the runaway leader as far as mainstream popularity and name recognition
goes... I don't care how much of a Flair mark you are. I happen to be one
myself, but it doesn't blind me to the fact that 100 years from now, it's
Hogan's name we're going to remember.

> I am surprised that no one suggested wrestling's own super-hero, The
> Hurricane. And it is VERY obvious he wants to be Grren Lantern :)

Green Lantern is a borderline household name. Not Shane Helms or Hurricane.
If anything, Helms is Plastic Man. Comic relief. Nothing more.

Jon J. Yeager
"Shave Tony Stark!"

Matt Deres

Oct 22, 2004, 10:08:18 PM10/22/04

"John McNeal" <johnsca...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Krusty" <kru...@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, like this...
> >
> > Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair are arguably, Hulk and Superman. Flair would be
the
> > Superman analogue because of his space and rank in the WCW "Universe". I
> > would tend to think of WCW as DC and WWE as Marvel. I'd think of Marvel
> > Superheroes when thinking of Comic Book analogues for WWE characters,
and DC
> > when thinking of WCW analogues...like, who would be the biggest heel in
WCW?
> > You could maybe say Vader could be a Luthor or a Joker...I could put
Vince
> > McMahon as like...Thanos or something...more powerful than the mortals,
and
> > able to kind of manipulate things overall in the WWE
"Universe"...Ultimate
> > Warrior could be...say, Thor...a pretty powerful guy who had some
potential,
> > but always ends up just being kinda useless. I could see Rick Rude as
Tony
> > Stark/Iron Man...that works for me...

Shave Rick Rude!

Matt

---

JLB

Oct 22, 2004, 10:08:23 PM10/22/04
Okay, Flair would be Lex Luthor, a supervillain. Not a superhero.

Ricky Steamboat would be Batman. Studied many fighting techniques and
works hards to learn his enemies weaknesses, plus in some of his more
famous feuds his family was part of the reason he fought.

Hulk Hogan would be Captain America.

And given that Steve Austin would be US Agent. Of course with his
drinking and his well known physical weakness Austin might be Iron
Man.

JLB

MG

Oct 23, 2004, 3:05:38 AM10/23/04
"John McNeal" <johnsca...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Actually, Austin is closer to Wolverine or Lobo in his role of anti-hero of
a few years ago.

Nathan P. Mahney

Oct 22, 2004, 1:46:22 PM10/22/04
Lord Hatred <lordh...@spammelatergmail.com> wrote in message

But given that everyone is now in the WWE, why not?

--
- Nathan P. Mahney -

Writing:
http://free.hostdepartment.com/n/npmahney/index.html
The Whole Story Comic Reviews:
http://free.hostdepartment.com/n/npmahney/ReviewIndex.html
Gamebook Scenic Solutions:
http://free.hostdepartment.com/n/npmahney/SSIndex.html

JJ

Oct 23, 2004, 9:26:12 AM10/23/04

"Wayne S Garmil" <wga...@TheWorld.com> wrote in message
> In article <51d54fca.04102...@posting.google.com>,
> John McNeal <johnsca...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No way is Ric Flair Superman. Superman is like the most well-known and
>>mainstream superhero ever, and people that aren't wrestling fans have
>>never heard of Flair. It's more like this:
>>
>>Superman - Hulk Hogan
>
> I disagree here for some simple reason: Superman would NEVER turn
> heel. Hulk Hogan was a heel for quite a while (I think most of his
> time in WCW), much longer than can be attributed to a Red Kryptonite
> story. I am not sure what big name hero to apply to Hulk Hogan, but
> Superman is not it.

Wasn't he the original Gangbuster? Also, you could chalk the whole NWO thing
up as a big Elseworlds spin.

Krusty

Oct 23, 2004, 12:15:31 PM10/23/04
"Nathan P. Mahney" <nma...@hotmail.com> wrote

> But given that everyone is now in the WWE, why not?

Guy makes a good point...lol...

Lord Hatred

Oct 23, 2004, 12:22:06 PM10/23/04
In article
<417a48bf$0$23035$5a62...@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>,

"Nathan P. Mahney" <nma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Lord Hatred <lordh...@spammelatergmail.com> wrote in message

> > But -- the point was to make them analogous by company. Across the

> > board
> > for both wrestling companies as Marvel (except for Booster Gold) is far
> > too easy.
>
> But given that everyone is now in the WWE, why not?

Because that wasn't the point :)

In AIM Krusty and I discussed this a bit and decided that a lot of the
challenge would be to separate them by companies. Depending on which
era you used your answers could be a lot different. Or you could go the
route and use the wrestlers during their most popular days (not always
WWE current).

Like Steve Austin. If you used him during his WWF heyday for Marvel he'd
probably be more like the Punisher for Marvel and Lobo for DC. If you
used Austin during his Stunning days in WCW then the answers would be
very different.

Krusty

Oct 23, 2004, 12:16:43 PM10/23/04
"JJ" <tyg...@flash.net> wrote

> Also, you could chalk the whole NWO thing up as a big Elseworlds spin.

potwc...

Krusty,
marked for that...

Evil Sideshow Bob

Oct 23, 2004, 12:53:19 PM10/23/04
My question regarding this entire thread is 'What the fuck are
"Analogues???" And how do I avoid contracting it?'

--

"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who
haven't got the guts to bite people themselves."

Krusty

Oct 23, 2004, 1:50:33 PM10/23/04

"Lord Hatred" <lordh...@spammelatergmail.com> wrote

> In AIM Krusty and I discussed this a bit and decided that a lot of the
> challenge would be to separate them by companies. Depending on which
> era you used your answers could be a lot different. Or you could go the
> route and use the wrestlers during their most popular days (not always
> WWE current).

Yeah, and in my head, this was the fun part about how it played out, that it
just naturally played off the long standing "who's better, Marvel or DC"
feud and "who's better, WCW or WWF?". You could put them in their "logical"
groups with their analogues and see how close you could get it.

It does seem pretty easy to simply toss everyone into WWE and assign them to
a character, but I think it was more fun when I was trying to make DC win
because I like them more than Marvel, and was trying to make WCW/Mid
Atlantic/NWA win because I like them more than WWF. It all seemed to easy.

lol...

> Like Steve Austin. If you used him during his WWF heyday for Marvel he'd
> probably be more like the Punisher for Marvel and Lobo for DC. If you
> used Austin during his Stunning days in WCW then the answers would be
> very different.

Ambush Bug?