Trump's Plan B: His Own Cable Network

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 17, 2016, 5:22:54 PM6/17/16
Of COURSE. He's probably envious of Vince....

Whether He Wins or Loses, We’re Stuck With Trump
100
51
816
Trump is reportedly thinking about his next grift: a cable news network.

By Jamelle Bouie
Trump Monitor
Check your local listings. Donald Trump is seen on a television monitor at the media center of the Republican debate site in Detroit in March 3.
Carlos Barria/Reuters

We’re hardly a month into the general election, and Donald Trump is already spiraling in the polls. He is the most unpopular candidate in the race, and is among the most unpopular people in American politics, period. This was predictable. The same outrageousness and prejudice that won him crowds and votes in a crowded Republican presidential primary are poison to most Americans. Trump hasn’t changed, but his environment has.

Jamelle Bouie
JAMELLE BOUIE
Jamelle Bouie is Slate’s chief political correspondent.

What makes this worse for the Republican Party is the real estate mogul’s disdain for traditional campaigning and disinterest in any of the things it takes to win an election, or even to stay competitive. He doesn’t want to contact donors, or hire a field staff, or run advertisements, or collect data, or even campaign in swing states. Trump’s main concern is doing television and holding rallies, a bizarre fixation if his goal is the White House.

But that assumes he wants to sit in the Oval Office. Some have begun to wonder if Trump even wants the presidency. What if the Republican Party’s nominee has some other goal in mind? “Trump is indeed considering creating his own media business, built on the audience that has supported him thus far in his bid to become the next president of the United States,” reports Sarah Ellison for Vanity Fair, drawing from an unnamed source who says that Trump wants to “figure out if he can monetize” his newfound stature.

Trump will enter an exclusive club of Americans regardless of what happens in November.
It makes sense. Trump is a master of self-aggrandizement. He rode it to the GOP’s presidential nomination, and now he intends to ride it to something more immediately lucrative than leading the country—a cable news network, centered on his image and his message.

Or at least that’s the theory. I have no doubt that this has been discussed, but there’s not enough evidence to say that a cable network was the plan or the endgame all along for Trump 2016. Trump has flirted with running for president enough over the past 20 years to suggest that he’s serious—that he believes he could be president of the United States. His refusal to do what it takes to win an election has less to do with some ulterior motive and more to do with his arrogance and narcissism.

Whatever the case, whatever happens in November, the bracing thought arrived with the Vanity Fair story that Trump is here to stay. It is no small thing to win a major party nomination. Since the GOP’s founding in 1854, just 26 men have held the title of Republican Party presidential nominee. Seventeen of them became president. Assuming he leaves the Cleveland convention with the nomination intact, Trump will enter an exclusive club of Americans regardless of what happens in November. If he wins, he’ll be president-elect of the United States. And if he loses, he’ll be a bona fide leader of the GOP, a man who represents a sizable chunk of the party’s base—the revanchist minority demanding a return to the old order, where a certain kind of American (white and male) was the presumptive, predominant voice in national life.

Think about what that means in practice. To win a nomination is to win a certain amount of deference and public influence, even after the election. As the GOP’s choice in 2012, Mitt Romney can still command cameras and attention. He gives endorsements, provides counsel, and has a network of relationships that shape and influence the party. In every way that matters, Mitt Romney is a national leader.

Trump isn’t Romney and he isn’t running Romney’s campaign. If he loses, there’s a decent chance he’ll lose big, in a way that jeopardizes the GOP’s congressional majority. He’ll walk away from November a pariah, disdained by professional Republicans and hated by lawmakers, activists, and others invested in maintaining a strong and durable party. But that doesn’t mean he won’t have a voice in the larger conversation. He’ll still speak for millions of alienated, disaffected Americans. He’ll still channel their anger at the nation’s rapid cultural and political changes. He’ll still have the star power and resources to carve out a spot in the public eye, with willing allies and accomplices. He’ll still matter as a symbol for the ugliest, most destructive impulses in American life. If in 2017, Americans are met with another Orlando or another San Bernardino, Trump will likely be there, ready to criticize, condemn, and tout his “solutions” to the difficult problem of lone-wolf terrorism.

Top Comment

Tomorrow night, on Trump TV: 8:00 -- Mexican't 8:30 -- The Art of the Deal 9:00 -- Women's Place w/ Megyn Kelly 9:30 -- No, You're the Racist 10:00 -- Celebrity Apprentice 11:00 -- Talking Celebrity Apprentice, w/ Chris Hardwick... More...

816 CommentsJoin In
The terrible truth is that this is not the end of Trump’s influence. At minimum, he has reopened the space for overt prejudice in national life, giving license to white nationalists, anti-Semites, and other noxious elements in American politics. And worse, he’s given them a template for success, of a kind. It’s too much to say that Trump, should he lose in November, will emerge from 2016 a kingmaker. There is every reason to belief he will linger as an inspiration to others who can polish his message of white reaction into something a little less abrasive, a little more respectable. Look carefully, and you see it’s already happening.

Read more Slate coverage of the 2016 campaign.

Trijcomm

Jun 17, 2016, 7:26:25 PM6/17/16
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:22:54 PM UTC-5, Jason Todd!!! wrote:
> Of COURSE. He's probably envious of Vince....

No, he's envious of Hillary (CNN = Clinton News Network.)

me

Jun 17, 2016, 7:42:45 PM6/17/16
Well I am certain had there been cable television in the 30's, we would have had the NNC Nazi News Channel. Trump would naturally be envious of Hitler and create his own. It would be pretty hard to tell the difference between the two though

David E. Powell

Jun 18, 2016, 12:22:13 AM6/18/16
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 7:26:25 PM UTC-4, Trijcomm wrote:
He has a lot of folks at Fox who would jump to it, especially if he can bring the money to hire them. Heck, look how many people XM and Sirius pulled in with big signing bonuses when they started up.

Rupert Murdoch may find it an unfortunate alliance, if a lot of his talent bails, but it is a smart play for Trump. If he isn't elected, it gives him another area to put himself into, especially if some of his former business deals (NBC, Univision) cannot be rebuilt.

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 18, 2016, 12:46:34 PM6/18/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 12:22:13 AM UTC-4, David E. Powell wrote:
> On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 7:26:25 PM UTC-4, Trijcomm wrote:
> > On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:22:54 PM UTC-5, Jason Todd!!! wrote:
> > > Of COURSE. He's probably envious of Vince....
> > >
> > No, he's envious of Hillary (CNN = Clinton News Network.)
>
> He has a lot of folks at Fox who would jump to it, especially if he can bring the money to hire them.

Except he CAN'T. He's not opening up his wallet for his campaign so why the hell would he open it for a Cable Network which would probably get less viewers than POP?

Jason

Trijcomm

Jun 18, 2016, 2:03:03 PM6/18/16
Baloney. This once again proves you know NOTHING about business. He doesn't HAVE to spend a lot of money to win an election! He just proved that! He will get what he believes he needs and that will be it. Hillary, of course, doesn't understand this. She will act just like she would in office -- get tons of money as though it is hers and then waste it.

me

Jun 18, 2016, 2:38:13 PM6/18/16
Are you HONESTLY saying Trump doesn't waste money?

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 18, 2016, 3:17:50 PM6/18/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 2:03:03 PM UTC-4, Trijcomm wrote:
> On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 11:46:34 AM UTC-5, Jason Todd!!! wrote:

> > > He has a lot of folks at Fox who would jump to it, especially if he can bring the money to hire them.
> >
> > Except he CAN'T. He's not opening up his wallet for his campaign so why the hell would he open it for a Cable Network which would probably get less viewers than POP?
> >
> > Jason
>
> Baloney. This once again proves you know NOTHING about business. He doesn't HAVE to spend a lot of money to win an election! He just proved that!

You're right !! Of COURSE!! How could I forget? He's a BRILLIANT businessman!!!

Jason

Trijcomm

Jun 18, 2016, 3:58:42 PM6/18/16

> > Baloney. This once again proves you know NOTHING about business. He doesn't HAVE to spend a lot of money to win an election! He just proved that!
>
> You're right !! Of COURSE!! How could I forget? He's a BRILLIANT businessman!!!
>
> Jason

Your sarcasm gets you zero points since it is misdirected and actually states a fact. He IS a brilliant businessman. Bankruptcies are part of business, they don't hurt the general populace and they are indeed part of doing business. Many folks come back from bankruptcies to succeed -- including Trump.

me

Jun 18, 2016, 4:05:23 PM6/18/16
You continue to show you know nothing about business. Bankruptcies are part of business WHEN YOU ARE A LOUSY BUSINESSMAN. You are just like a trained circus pony, you will proudly jump through ALL the hoops to defend your boy.

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 18, 2016, 5:40:28 PM6/18/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 3:58:42 PM UTC-4, Trijcomm wrote:

Bankruptcies are part of business, they don't hurt the general populace a

Wait, what did you just say??

Did you REALLY just say that???

Jason

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 18, 2016, 7:14:22 PM6/18/16
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 7:26:25 PM UTC-4, Trijcomm wrote:
Yeah, sure. CNN covers every single Trump event. If they've ever covered a Hillary rally or speech beginning to end, (not a victory rally on the night of a primary win, I mean just a regular rally) I'll dance naked in the street and post it on YT.

Jason

Trijcomm

Jun 18, 2016, 10:50:50 PM6/18/16
Yeah, what of it?

Trijcomm

Jun 18, 2016, 10:52:38 PM6/18/16
CNN does it and then trashes him the rest of the news cycle. Problem is, even thought they trash him, it has the opposite effect. They still haven't realized it yet. But make no mistake about it, CNN is in the dumper with Hillary.

Freezer

Jun 19, 2016, 12:37:07 AM6/19/16
If I don't reply to this Trijcomm post, the terroists win.

> Baloney. This once again proves you know NOTHING about
> business. He doesn't HAVE to spend a lot of money to win an
> election!

Bernie Sanders would like a word with you.

--
My name is Freezer and my anti-drug is porn.
http://mst3kfreezer.livejournal.com/

Freezer

Jun 19, 2016, 12:39:40 AM6/19/16
If I don't reply to this Trijcomm post, the terroists win.

> Your sarcasm gets you zero points since it is misdirected and
> actually states a fact. He IS a brilliant businessman.
> Bankruptcies are part of business,

If bankruptcy is Plan A when things go bad, you are a shit
businessman.

Freezer

Jun 19, 2016, 12:52:22 AM6/19/16
If I don't reply to this Trijcomm post, the terroists win.

> Yeah, what of it?

It's egregiously, provably wrong? (Damn we say that a lot).

Trijcomm

Jun 19, 2016, 3:49:02 PM6/19/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 11:37:07 PM UTC-5, Freezer wrote:
> If I don't reply to this Trijcomm post, the terroists win.
>
> > Baloney. This once again proves you know NOTHING about
> > business. He doesn't HAVE to spend a lot of money to win an
> > election!
>
> Bernie Sanders would like a word with you.

I hate to tell you, but the crazy uncle is NOWHERE on my radar.

Trijcomm

Jun 19, 2016, 3:50:02 PM6/19/16
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 11:39:40 PM UTC-5, Freezer wrote:
> If I don't reply to this Trijcomm post, the terroists win.
>
> > Your sarcasm gets you zero points since it is misdirected and
> > actually states a fact. He IS a brilliant businessman.
> > Bankruptcies are part of business,
>
> If bankruptcy is Plan A when things go bad, you are a shit
> businessman.

Since when was bankruptcy Plan A on ANYONE'S list? Give me a break.

me

Jun 19, 2016, 4:04:33 PM6/19/16
It wouldn't be a plan AT ALL if you were a good businessman.

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 19, 2016, 7:34:48 PM6/19/16
WOW. WOW. WOW. WOW.

I will admit...I'm in awe of your density.

Jason

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 19, 2016, 7:36:10 PM6/19/16
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 3:50:02 PM UTC-4, Trijcomm wrote:
Since he's had FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR of them it appears to be the Orange One's main business strategy.

Jason (BTW, yes, we're saying he's a shit businessman)

Trijcomm

Jun 19, 2016, 10:21:17 PM6/19/16
You are clueless, aren't you?

Trijcomm

Jun 19, 2016, 10:24:25 PM6/19/16
And how many businesses does he have? Try 500. That means you are talking about less that one percent of his businesses. NEXT~

Freezer

Jun 19, 2016, 10:45:25 PM6/19/16
If I don't reply to this Jason Todd!!! post, the terroists win.

>> Since when was bankruptcy Plan A on ANYONE'S list? Give me a
>> break.
>
> Since he's had FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR of them it appears to be
> the Orange One's main business strategy.

Along with Plan B: Tie them up in court so long and make yourself
so hard to deal with, your creditor would rather eat the loss than
deal with you.

I've wondered all along if Trump knows you can't do that with
government debt?

me

Jun 19, 2016, 10:47:25 PM6/19/16
No. He seriously knows nothing.

Trijcomm

Jun 19, 2016, 10:48:07 PM6/19/16
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 9:45:25 PM UTC-5, Freezer wrote:
> If I don't reply to this Jason Todd!!! post, the terroists win.
>
> >> Since when was bankruptcy Plan A on ANYONE'S list? Give me a
> >> break.
> >
> > Since he's had FOUR FOUR FOUR FOUR of them it appears to be
> > the Orange One's main business strategy.
>
> Along with Plan B: Tie them up in court so long and make yourself
> so hard to deal with, your creditor would rather eat the loss than
> deal with you.
>
> I've wondered all along if Trump knows you can't do that with
> government debt?

You know NOTHING about how bankruptcies work. Maybe you should become a little familiar with how business works before you pop off with this kind of nonsense.

me

Jun 19, 2016, 10:52:19 PM6/19/16
And you have yet to prove that you know the slightest thing about them either.

The Chad

Jun 19, 2016, 10:56:56 PM6/19/16
How many times have you filed, Scotty?

I bet public records would have the answer.

Freezer

Jun 19, 2016, 11:03:25 PM6/19/16
If I don't reply to this Trijcomm post, the terroists win.

>> Along with Plan B: Tie them up in court so long and make
>> yourself so hard to deal with, your creditor would rather eat
>> the loss than deal with you.
>>
>> I've wondered all along if Trump knows you can't do that with
>> government debt?
>>
> You know NOTHING about how bankruptcies work

You did realize I was talking about the many many people who have
sued Trump over outstanding debt, breech of contract and various
and sundry other things that have made him shady money over the
years, but would be completely impossible for him to pull off in a
government setting.

But please, continue regaling us with your vast knowledge of
bankruptcy law and business dealings.

Trijcomm

Jun 19, 2016, 11:17:09 PM6/19/16
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 10:03:25 PM UTC-5, Freezer wrote:
> If I don't reply to this Trijcomm post, the terroists win.
>
> >> Along with Plan B: Tie them up in court so long and make
> >> yourself so hard to deal with, your creditor would rather eat
> >> the loss than deal with you.
> >>
> >> I've wondered all along if Trump knows you can't do that with
> >> government debt?
> >>
> > You know NOTHING about how bankruptcies work
>
> You did realize I was talking about the many many people who have
> sued Trump over outstanding debt, breech of contract and various
> and sundry other things

Gee, and I thought you were talking about bankruptcies AS THE TOPIC THAT WAS PRESENTED! And even when you move the goalposts to include businesses being sued, you do realize that it happens ALL THE TIME? Especially when you have 500 of them? Man, stop broadcasting your ignorance of this topic!

me

Jun 19, 2016, 11:20:38 PM6/19/16
living the gimmick folks!

fitnessf...@yahoo.com

Jun 20, 2016, 8:10:53 AM6/20/16
You don't want to go there, Elmer J. Dudd.
If "public records would have the answer", your lies of two houses and all your other stupid shit would be able to be revealed.

Jason Todd!!!

Jun 20, 2016, 10:36:24 AM6/20/16
Not half as clueless as the guy who just presented two totally opposing theories.

Jason

Trijcomm

Jun 20, 2016, 11:03:23 AM6/20/16
Look up the term mutually exclusive. That concept for some reason REALLY throws you. It kind of shows that you are too shallow to really dig much into this.

me

Jun 20, 2016, 11:23:14 AM6/20/16
So, CNN is "in the dumper for Hillary" but gives Trump more coverage than Hillary gets. You really have no idea what you are talking about. Try reading a book or something instead of posting on here.

The Chad

Jun 20, 2016, 2:01:10 PM6/20/16
I own two houses, daddy-diddled Dink. There's nothing you can do about it
but cry, since you can't even afford one and live with your MawMaw.

fitnessf...@yahoo.com

Jun 21, 2016, 5:47:48 PM6/21/16
Don't forget your mansion and your yacht.

> There's nothing you can do about it
> but cry, since you can't even afford one and live with your MawMaw.

Who's crying? I am simply pointing out your hypocrisy and obvious lies.