Trump and North Korea

xyzzy

May 24, 2018, 10:33:17 AM5/24/18
Everything he's done on North Korea up until now has looked to my eyes like bluster and incompetence, but it's worked. So with that in mind, I had been getting concerned that Trump was getting too invested in the summit with North Korea, to the point that Kim was calling the shots. Even though he did it in his, ummmm, unique style, he did need to signal that he was willing to walk away. A lot of people are gnashing teeth over this but I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out long term.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 24, 2018, 11:01:50 AM5/24/18
On Thu, 24 May 2018 07:33:14 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Everything he's done on North Korea up until now has looked to my eyes like=
> bluster and incompetence, but it's worked. So with that in mind, I had be=
>en getting concerned that Trump was getting too invested in the summit with=
> North Korea, to the point that Kim was calling the shots. Even though he =
>did it in his, ummmm, unique style, he did need to signal that he was willi=
>ng to walk away. A lot of people are gnashing teeth over this but I'm wil=
>ling to wait and see how this plays out long term.=20

It's pretty easy to have mixed emotions. Why not meet if there is a
possibility of concensus? Why meet if any concensus would be
meaningless?

Hugh

the_andr...@yahoo.com

May 24, 2018, 11:15:06 AM5/24/18
He needs to be the first to walk away.

Kim is messaging through 3rd parties that he doesn’t like “x, y, & z” so he’s considering scrapping the whole thing. This is a negotiation tactic to reach additional concessions, gain the upper hand.

Trump says we have the upper hand and will keep it; call me when you’re ready to talk.

plai...@gmail.com

May 24, 2018, 12:11:19 PM5/24/18
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 7:33:17 AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:
> Everything he's done on North Korea up until now has looked to my eyes like bluster and incompetence, but it's worked. So with that in mind, I had been getting concerned that Trump was getting too invested in the summit with North Korea, to the point that Kim was calling the shots. Even though he did it in his, ummmm, unique style, he did need to signal that he was willing to walk away. A lot of people are gnashing teeth over this but I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out long term.

I guess we won't need this commemorative coin featuring Trump and "Supreme Leader Kim Jong-Un". I can only imagine the uproar if Obama had referred to Kim Jong-Un as "Supreme Leader".

https://hillreporter.com/donald-trump-commemorative-coin-supreme-leader-kim-jong-un-2382

Futbol Phan

May 24, 2018, 12:20:02 PM5/24/18
No longer available. Darn. A sure collectible...

xyzzy

May 24, 2018, 1:20:54 PM5/24/18
That is so many types of awesome

JGibson

May 24, 2018, 1:27:31 PM5/24/18
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 12:11:19 PM UTC-4, plai...@gmail.com wrote:
I don't know. Google "Supreme Leader" and you get hits for the Supreme Leader of Iran and Snoke from The Force Awakens. Both would be considered bad guys so maybe it's in that spirit.

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 24, 2018, 1:47:05 PM5/24/18
On Thu, 24 May 2018 08:15:04 -0700 (PDT), "the_andr...@yahoo.com"
<the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>He needs to be the first to walk away.=20
>
>Kim is messaging through 3rd parties that he doesn=E2=80=99t like =E2=80=9C=
>x, y, & z=E2=80=9D so he=E2=80=99s considering scrapping the whole thing. T=
>his is a negotiation tactic to reach additional concessions, gain the upper=
> hand.=20
>
>Trump says we have the upper hand and will keep it; call me when you=E2=80=
>=99re ready to talk.

I like "Walk softly and carry a big stick." better than "Walk sticky
and carry a big soft".

Trump doesn't need to show the US muscle - everybody has seen it. Come
on over and let's talk without all the media and posturing. Just too
much "my daddy can whip your daddy".

Hugh

Hugh

Michael Press

May 24, 2018, 7:07:58 PM5/24/18
In article <5b06d2e2....@news.eternal-september.org>,
President Trump and Kim are on the same wavelength.
Two guys trash talking. There is a consensus.

Look up consensus etymology. "consent" not "census."

--
Michael Press

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 25, 2018, 9:25:19 AM5/25/18
On Thu, 24 May 2018 16:07:56 -0700, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net>
wrote:
I doubt consensus. One probably thinks the other should not trash
talk.

>Look up consensus etymology. "consent" not "census."
>
>--
>Michael Press

I stand by my opinion if not my spelling error.

Years ago if our son was home by 1 AM, as we requested, implied
consent, not consensus.

Allowing a pro football player to disrespect the country by kneeling
while the National Anthem is played is consent, not consensus.

Hugh

Tom Enright

May 25, 2018, 11:17:46 AM5/25/18
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 12:11:19 PM UTC-4, plai...@gmail.com wrote:

> I guess we won't need this commemorative coin featuring Trump and "Supreme Leader Kim Jong-Un". I can only imagine the uproar if Obama had referred to Kim Jong-Un as "Supreme Leader".
>
> https://hillreporter.com/donald-trump-commemorative-coin-supreme-leader-kim-jong-un-2382

============

I guess if Trump bows to Kim, we'll know his timber.

...and why is Trump and Kim the same height?

-TE

Tom Enright

May 25, 2018, 11:20:59 AM5/25/18

plai...@gmail.com

May 25, 2018, 11:27:05 AM5/25/18

plai...@gmail.com

May 25, 2018, 11:34:50 AM5/25/18
You can have your own little peace of awesome for $19.85, marked down from $24.95. However, I couldn't find it on the White House Gift Shop website which loads on geologic time scales.

http://time.com/5290157/north-korea-summit-commemorative-coin-white-house-gift-shop/

Michael Press

May 25, 2018, 4:06:37 PM5/25/18
In article <5b0808ca....@news.eternal-september.org>,
Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan) wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2018 16:07:56 -0700, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <5b06d2e2....@news.eternal-september.org>,
> > Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan) wrote:

> >> It's pretty easy to have mixed emotions. Why not meet if there is a
> >> possibility of concensus? Why meet if any concensus would be
> >> meaningless?
> >>
> >> Hugh
> >
> >President Trump and Kim are on the same wavelength.
> >Two guys trash talking. There is a consensus.
>
> I doubt consensus. One probably thinks the other should not trash
> talk.

Would you believe badinage?

> >Look up consensus etymology. "consent" not "census."
> >
> >--
> >Michael Press
>
> I stand by my opinion if not my spelling error.
>
> Years ago if our son was home by 1 AM, as we requested, implied
> consent, not consensus.
>
> Allowing a pro football player to disrespect the country by kneeling
> while the National Anthem is played is consent, not consensus.

You are wrong and being pig-headed.
Your misspelling shows your thinking.
It is as if you did not look up the words in the dictionary.
For had you, you would not be going on like this.

--
Michael Press

J. Hugh Sullivan

May 25, 2018, 7:18:15 PM5/25/18
On Fri, 25 May 2018 13:06:35 -0700, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>You are wrong and being pig-headed.

I'll tell you when you are smart enough to make that judgement.

>For had you, you would not be going on like this.

I'm getting forgetful. My arguing with a fool makes me look like one,
fool.

You have my permission to have the last word. You have become penny
ante.

Hugh

Michael Press

May 29, 2018, 4:14:29 PM5/29/18
In article <5b08975d...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Ea...@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan) wrote:

Since you choose not to include all relevant context,
then you lose. Nerts to you, loser.

--
Michael Press