Are the Amish racist?

lein

Apr 27, 2010, 7:56:39 AM4/27/10
just wondering what the general thought is

deem...@aol.com

Apr 27, 2010, 8:02:28 AM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 7:56 am, lein <boomer_the_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

Why?

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Apr 27, 2010, 8:15:59 AM4/27/10
On 2010-04-27, lein <boomer_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

Who cares? They don't have any significant traffic with any of today's
society. They don't contribute to literature in a meaningful way. They
mind their own business.

-- Wernher Von Braun

Ike

Apr 27, 2010, 8:47:48 AM4/27/10
lein wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

Hypocritical. Holier-than-thou. Don't know about racist.

--
Yrs.,

Ike

"I think that's all that needs to be said. If PSU recruited him to play
linebacker....then the kid is a player."

Jim Brown

Apr 27, 2010, 9:25:45 AM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 6:56 am, lein <boomer_the_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

Off the subject, but yesterday had a truck driver here picking up
organic corn. He said a few weeks ago he was sent to an Amish farm to
pick up their organic corn. He said they had an old, small auger with
a gas motor on it and about ten small flarebox wagons full of corn
lined up being pulled by horses. It was muddy and soft as the frost
was going out and the snow was melting. He barely got in with his
semi and they struggled like crazy to get these wagons up to the auger
with the teams of horses. This went on for well over an hour making
little progress. Finally, one of them told the other "we might as
well get the tractor". As the other took off towards a building, the
truck driver asks "You have a Tractor, and we're struggling with these
horse?" And the Amish guy says, "yeah, but we dont like to use it as
we dont like to buy fuel".

The driver said next time he goes there he's handing them $20 for fuel
and telling them to get the friggin tractor out right away.

Ike

Apr 27, 2010, 10:04:49 AM4/27/10

Ask them about the "phone booth" that inevitably stands out by the road on their
rural farms.

Like I said- hypocrits.

DanS.

Apr 27, 2010, 10:10:57 AM4/27/10
Ike added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
4/27/2010 in writing

> lein wrote:
>> just wondering what the general thought is
>
> Hypocritical. Holier-than-thou. Don't know about racist.

I was thinking about non-believers who see believers are
holier-than-thou yesterday. It's seems to me a realization, in and of
itself, of sin in others, yes, but especially in oneself. That's half
the battle on the road to salvation.

Things that make you go "Hmmm."

--
Yours,
Dan S.

DanS.

Apr 27, 2010, 10:12:52 AM4/27/10
Ike added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
4/27/2010 in writing
> Jim Brown wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 6:56 am, lein <boomer_the_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>> just wondering what the general thought is
>>

>> Off the subject, but yesterday had a truck driver here picking up
>> organic corn. He said a few weeks ago he was sent to an Amish farm to
>> pick up their organic corn. He said they had an old, small auger with
>> a gas motor on it and about ten small flarebox wagons full of corn
>> lined up being pulled by horses. It was muddy and soft as the frost
>> was going out and the snow was melting. He barely got in with his
>> semi and they struggled like crazy to get these wagons up to the auger
>> with the teams of horses. This went on for well over an hour making
>> little progress. Finally, one of them told the other "we might as
>> well get the tractor". As the other took off towards a building, the
>> truck driver asks "You have a Tractor, and we're struggling with these
>> horse?" And the Amish guy says, "yeah, but we dont like to use it as
>> we dont like to buy fuel".
>>
>> The driver said next time he goes there he's handing them $20 for fuel
>> and telling them to get the friggin tractor out right away.
>
> Ask them about the "phone booth" that inevitably stands out by the road on
> their rural farms.
>
> Like I said- hypocrits.

So, the phone booth is sin, or that their ministry speaks to you, and
the phone booth reflects on you in some way sin in others? ... it's a
spiritual phone booth ...

J.C. Watts Enslin

Apr 27, 2010, 10:23:54 AM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 9:04 am, Ike <I...@OVERLORD.NET> wrote:
> Jim Brown wrote:
> > On Apr 27, 6:56 am, lein <boomer_the_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >> just wondering what the general thought is
>
> > Off the subject, but yesterday had a truck driver here picking up
> > organic corn.  He said a few weeks ago he was sent to an Amish farm to
> > pick up their organic corn.  He said they had an old, small auger with
> > a gas motor on it and about ten small flarebox wagons full of corn
> > lined up being pulled by horses.  It was muddy and soft as the frost
> > was going out and the snow was melting.  He barely got in with his
> > semi and they struggled like crazy to get these wagons up to the auger
> > with the teams of horses.  This went on for well over an hour making
> > little progress.  Finally, one of them told the other "we might as
> > well get the tractor".  As the other took off towards a building, the
> > truck driver asks "You have a Tractor, and we're struggling with these
> > horse?"  And the Amish guy says, "yeah, but we dont like to use it as
> > we dont like to buy fuel".
>
> > The driver said next time he goes there he's handing them $20 for fuel
> > and telling them to get the friggin tractor out right away.
>
> Ask them about the "phone booth" that inevitably stands out by the road on their
> rural farms.
>
> Like I said- hypocrits.

I have a problem with any closed, religious society that shuns
technology and contact with the "outside world," However, I don't
think the Amish are hypocritical.

It needs to be remember that there is no Amish "pope" who sets the
rules for all Amish at large. Each Amish community is diffferent in
their interpretation of what is acceptable and what isn't. For
instance, some Amish communities allow for communal ownership of motor
vehicles. (Individual ownership is a sign of pride.) Most Amish
communities do not allow electric or phone wires into their homes
because it is connecting with the outside world. That doesn't mean
that they cannot use electricity if it is generated "on-site" or a pay
phone.

So are they racist? Well, probably since they do not allow outsiders
to become Amish. Self-perpetuating racism. Are they strange? Yes.
Hypocritical? Maybe.

J.C. Watts Enslin

Apr 27, 2010, 10:25:40 AM4/27/10

Oh, I should also point out that the Amish cover up of sexual abuse
among their ranks rivals that of the Catholic church. Only on a
smaller scale.

Jon

honkifyoulovejustice

Apr 27, 2010, 10:28:02 AM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 4:56 am, lein <boomer_the_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

The general thought is real racists try to muddy the waters by asking
questions like this.

Jefferson N. Glapski

Apr 27, 2010, 11:27:30 AM4/27/10
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2010-04-27, lein <boomer_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> just wondering what the general thought is
>
> Who cares? They don't have any significant traffic with any of today's
> society. They don't contribute to literature in a meaningful way. They
> mind their own business.

I see you've never driven behind one of these assholes en route to a
football game on Saturday.

They can cause significant traffic.

Gruss Gott.

The BorgMan

Apr 27, 2010, 11:40:51 AM4/27/10
lein <boomer_...@my-deja.com> wrote in news:16f4f720-0171-4e12-8c37-
dba0fe...@12g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

> just wondering what the general thought is

IME, yes.

IME they're also poachers, and horrible about trespassing while hunting.

--
Aaron

The BorgMan

Apr 27, 2010, 11:41:36 AM4/27/10
"Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <cons...@duxmail.com> wrote in

> On 2010-04-27, lein <boomer_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>. They
> mind their own business.

Not if you own property near them and expect them to stay off it during
hunting season...

--
Aaron

Tom Enright

Apr 27, 2010, 1:11:54 PM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 7:56 am, lein <boomer_the_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

Do they generally disagree with Obama's policies?

-Tom Enright

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Apr 27, 2010, 1:46:06 PM4/27/10
On 2010-04-27, Jefferson N. Glapski <jeffers...@PENNSTATEglapski.com> wrote:
> Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
>> On 2010-04-27, lein <boomer_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>> just wondering what the general thought is
>>
>> Who cares? They don't have any significant traffic with any of today's
>> society. They don't contribute to literature in a meaningful way. They
>> mind their own business.
>
> I see you've never driven behind one of these assholes en route to a
> football game on Saturday.

Frequently. I have lived near Amish country most of my life.

> They can cause significant traffic.
>
> Gruss Gott.

Apparently you think the world was put here for your benefit. I happen
to think they have as much right to do this as, say, a Harley rider
who blows my peace on a Saturday.

--
I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90%
how I react to it. And so it is for you... we are in charge

Frisbee®

Apr 27, 2010, 2:13:44 PM4/27/10
lein wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

I don't know, but I do know they have way below the national average of
autism diagnoses.

Frisbee®

Apr 27, 2010, 2:15:10 PM4/27/10
Ike wrote:
> lein wrote:
>> just wondering what the general thought is
>
> Hypocritical. Holier-than-thou. Don't know about racist.

Cuz I know I'm a million times as humble as thou art {$1 Weird Al}

Ike

Apr 28, 2010, 9:51:09 AM4/28/10

heh. great album.

lein

Apr 28, 2010, 1:01:48 PM4/28/10

Well, the Tea Party participants are called racist and they are more
diverse than the Amish.

deem...@aol.com

Apr 28, 2010, 3:02:34 PM4/28/10

I believe SOME TPers are called racist.

Jaybyrd

Apr 29, 2010, 7:04:38 AM4/29/10
On Apr 27, 7:56 am, lein <boomer_the_...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

They, like nittany lions think that dressing "plain" make them
superior but I wouldn't call that racist.

RaginPage

Apr 29, 2010, 10:14:12 AM4/29/10
On Apr 27, 8:47 am, Ike <I...@OVERLORD.NET> wrote:
> lein wrote:
> > just wondering what the general thought is
>
> Hypocritical. Holier-than-thou.  Don't know about racist.

And so the religion bashing extends to even those that leave others
alone without trying to "recruit".

Interesting.

Brent

The Ghost of Edward M. Kennedy

Apr 30, 2010, 12:26:17 PM4/30/10
"lein" <boomer_...@my-deja.com> wrote

> just wondering what the general thought is

No, their buggies are slow as hell.

--Tedward

hwall...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2014, 1:58:07 AM8/28/14
On Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:56:39 AM UTC-7, lein wrote:
> just wondering what the general thought is

I am a black man, and I don't care about people's individual attitudes which mostly stems from ignorance, as long as they are not in decision making positions where they can impact me negatively. This is what racism is in reality and that is power. Who cares what white people, Amish or whoever is racists, leave them alone. If they attack me or threaten me with harm in any way then that is another matter, otherwise leave it along, why should anyone be concerned about another's belief if it is not bringing any harm to anyone. enough said

J. Hugh Sullivan

Aug 28, 2014, 7:48:15 AM8/28/14
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:58:07 -0700 (PDT), hwall...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:56:39 AM UTC-7, lein wrote:
>> just wondering what the general thought is
>
>I am a black man, and I don't care about people's individual attitudes whic=
>h mostly stems from ignorance,

...or, from having lived with them for the first 25 years of life.
It's not ignorance to base one's judgement on what he sees, i. e., the
facts. It's much easier to call it ignorant when one is ignorant.

If one is from the South, it sometimes takes a little while to learn
that personal responsibility is an individual matter, not a racial
one.

I prefer to be insulated from trash regardless of race.

>why should an=
>yone be concerned about another's belief if it is not bringing any harm to =
>anyone. enough said

But an affected individual is seldom the best judge of harm. Denying
equality of opportunity is harm. Punishing those who don't take
advantage is not harm.

Hugh