ESPN announcing they might drop NFL

Michael Press

Oct 30, 2017, 8:07:05 PM10/30/17
Outkick the coverage on ESPN announcing that they might drop NFL
coverage in 2021.

But if you think the cable and satellite companies are going to
keep paying $7 a month to ESPN without the NFL package, I’ve got
a bridge to sell you. This final sentence is hysterical ESPN
spin:

"Sure, distributors would be aghast, demanding to negotiate
lower fees probably immediately, but the point is, there would be
negotiations, enabling ESPN to do everything it could to keep
those numbers as high as possible."

Another way to put this would be as follows: ESPN’s business is
collapsing so rapidly that they are now trying to figure out
which would be more destructive---losing billions on the NFL or
losing billions in cable and satellite revenue because they don’t
have the NFL.

This won’t be a negotiation, it will be a hold up where ESPN
tries to beg the cable and satellite companies not to take all
the money out of their wallets because they need the bus fare to
get home.

--
Michael Press

darkst...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2017, 9:08:33 PM10/30/17
They need the NFL to survive, at this point.

Unless ESPN believes the NFL is going to collapse in the next three years (which, if they do, ESPN can declare Chapter 7 right now and save the bother!), this would not be wise.

Mike

xyzzy

Oct 31, 2017, 3:22:39 AM10/31/17
ESPN’s business model of imposing a $7/mo tax on every cable household in the country is collapsing. They’ve been whistling past the graveyard for a couple of yes S.

Sports rights fees including the NFL and college conferences are a bubble. $1 to me.

Tonawanda Kardex

Oct 31, 2017, 10:09:57 AM10/31/17
But Press would have us believe it's because of all the NFL players protesting ...

He's such a clueless dolt.

irishra...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2017, 10:15:53 AM10/31/17
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:07:05 PM UTC-4, Michael Press wrote:
> Outkick the coverage on ESPN announcing that they might drop NFL
> coverage in 2021.

Not a bad idea. It would give their left wing announcers more time to
focus on spewing hateful, racist, anti-American propaganda.

Irish Mike

Some dued

Oct 31, 2017, 11:02:48 AM10/31/17
Yeah ESPN is so hateful. God what a bunch of whiny snowflakes you wingers are.

michael anderson

Oct 31, 2017, 12:16:16 PM10/31/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 2:22:39 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> ESPN’s business model of imposing a $7/mo tax on every cable household in the country is collapsing.

everyone keeps saying this, but how many of us have actually gone 'off the grid' so to speak and don't have a satellite or cable package with espn?

For all the talk about it, very few people actually do it. Including the non-sports fans who never watch espn that bring espn so much money.

xyzzy

Oct 31, 2017, 12:42:12 PM10/31/17
Man, you really need to start reading newspapers or watching news or something.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/30/espn-keeps-hemorrhaging-subscribers/amp/

xyzzy

Oct 31, 2017, 12:44:35 PM10/31/17
Btw I’ve cut the cord and have no TV subscription.

You should have heard the begging and offers that DISH came up with when I called to cancel. They are all in decline.

The bad news for rsfc football fans is this will eventually ripple back to the conference TV deals.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Oct 31, 2017, 1:10:16 PM10/31/17
On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:44:32 -0700 (PDT), xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Btw I=E2=80=99ve cut the cord and have no TV subscription.

How do you watch Bama football games (and any others you might watch)?

Directv costs me $170+ per month.

Hugh

---
http://www.avg.com

Michael Press

Oct 31, 2017, 1:35:10 PM10/31/17
In article <ca65185c-e4b4-4daf...@googlegroups.com>,
Tonawanda Kardex <tonawan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But Press would have us believe it's because of all the NFL players protesting ...
>
> He's such a clueless dolt.

I got you believing I am a clueless dolt. You are easily led.

--
Michael Press

michael anderson

Oct 31, 2017, 3:28:18 PM10/31/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 11:42:12 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Man, you really need to start reading newspapers or watching news or something.
>
> http://nypost.com/2017/05/30/espn-keeps-hemorrhaging-subscribers/amp/

yes Im aware of all this, but look at the numbers....over the last 5 or so years around 10% of people total have 'cut the cord'. That still means espn is raking in tons of money....mostly from people who dont watch their sports.

Unless this trend continues, espn will be fine. There is no reason to believe that a majority of americans still won't have dish or cable or whatever as they do now, and as long as thats the case it's a license to print money.

xyzzy

Oct 31, 2017, 4:46:59 PM10/31/17
Put your money where your mouth is and invest some units in Disney stock

michael anderson

Oct 31, 2017, 7:15:55 PM10/31/17
xy- have you seen americans lately? they arent doing anything in the evening or mostly on weekends....they go home and(depending on their tastes) watch various trashy shows centered around them...

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2017, 2:33:33 PM11/1/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 12:22:39 AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:
> ESPN’s business model of imposing a $7/mo tax on every cable household in the country is collapsing. They’ve been whistling past the graveyard for a couple of yes S.
>
> Sports rights fees including the NFL and college conferences are a bubble. $1 to me.

You're probably right, but then you have to start looking at a lot of these leagues (and some of the college conferences) on a going-concern level.

The NFL probably survives, MLB might... The NHL or NASCAR, on the other hand?

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2017, 2:34:59 PM11/1/17
Unless you wish every Black player excommunicated from the league yesterday, you're not getting that.

And the fact that the announcers in the NFL would be left-wing is so stupid, it would be laughable if you weren't such a sick fuck.

Mike

xyzzy

Nov 1, 2017, 3:21:25 PM11/1/17
....on Netflix or Hulu or Roku

(Well, more and more of them anyway)

michael anderson

Nov 1, 2017, 4:20:54 PM11/1/17
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 2:21:25 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> ....on Netflix or Hulu or Roku
>
> (Well, more and more of them anyway)

well yes you can get an NFL package through Hulu live, but that alone costs like 40 bucks....

but the more salient point is that if things ever got to the point that most people were cutting the cord and going with things like hulu and roku, the nfl still controls who ges to access their content....

xyzzy

Nov 1, 2017, 4:22:22 PM11/1/17
Sure but that’s not relevant to your point that everything is fine and dandy with ESPN’s business model

Michael Press

Nov 1, 2017, 7:27:08 PM11/1/17
In article <6fc0bd93-e80f-4ea6...@googlegroups.com>,
Disney will do good. They'll run a (legal) bust-out scheme on ESPN.

--
Michael Press

The NOTBCS Guy

Nov 1, 2017, 7:47:22 PM11/1/17
The NHL has survived years without any national broadcast coverage (mainly in the late 1970s). It may return to the days of regional sports network coverage, and maybe even drop some teams, but I don't see the league folding any time soon.

Same with NASCAR - there is enough of a crowd to keep it going, although probably not on broadcast TV (and how many races does NBC already move to NBCSN each year?). You would think that IndyCar would be in more trouble of collapsing than NASCAR; remember when they had to include two cars that were 10 MPH slower than the others just so nobody would say, "They couldn't even get 33 cars into the Indy 500!"?

Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger

Nov 1, 2017, 8:52:33 PM11/1/17
Heh—ESPN just bought the rights to Formula 1, and they’ll prolly fuck that up.

michael anderson

Nov 1, 2017, 10:30:19 PM11/1/17
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 3:22:22 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Sure but that’s not relevant to your point that everything is fine and dandy with ESPN’s business model

well it helps support it if it's in the nfls best interest to see cable/satellite tv continue to be the dominant force in american television and they use some of that leverage in that way

Michael Press

Nov 2, 2017, 12:24:53 PM11/2/17
In article <4c27d15f-1a26-40f7...@googlegroups.com>,
"Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger" <damon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Heh—ESPN just bought the rights to Formula 1, and they’ll prolly fuck that up.

Heh!
Buying rights to Formula One in the first place makes it a done deal.
Formula One has a way of making good deals for Formula One
Remember when I said "bust out scheme?"

--
Michael Press