Glenn Beck: Con Artist

Chris Bellomy

Jul 28, 2010, 7:18:59 PM7/28/10

Huck Kennedy

Jul 28, 2010, 7:28:08 PM7/28/10
On Jul 28, 4:18 pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
> No, really.
>
> http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/07/glenn-beck-goldline/

It isn't just Beck--on just about any FOX program, there are G.
Gordon Liddy commercials claiming our currency is going to crash and
you'd better have gold.

Guess what--it's in the best interests of big business for our
currency to be devalued, and the Bush administration's policies
reflected that, as he managed to drive the dollar down from about even
with the euro when he took office to as low as, what, $1.54 or so to
buy a euro, towards the end of his term?

Huck

Message has been deleted

McMahone

Jul 28, 2010, 10:14:44 PM7/28/10
On Jul 28, 6:28 pm, Huck Kennedy <tempeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 4:18 pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
>
> > No, really.
>
> >http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/07/glenn-beck-goldline/
>
>      It isn't just Beck--on just about any FOX program, there are G.
> Gordon Liddy commercials claiming our currency is going to crash and
> you'd better have gold.

Certainly don't think highly of these kinds of "buy gold" deals, but
several of the finance guys I know are investing at least a decent
amount of money in gold right now. They are highly pessimistic that
we can turn around the financial situation and expect dramatic
inflation sometime soon.

Chris Bellomy

Jul 28, 2010, 10:41:29 PM7/28/10
McMahone wrote, On 7/28/10 9:14 PM:

I share their pessimism, but I don't see inflation
being a problem until somebody decides to do something
about unemployment.

cb

Jim Brown

Jul 28, 2010, 10:49:31 PM7/28/10
On Jul 28, 6:28 pm, Huck Kennedy <tempeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bellomy and Huck: Drama Queens.

No. Really.

Eric Ramon

Jul 28, 2010, 11:12:46 PM7/28/10

I would recommend, if you want to invest in gold, that you do a lot of
research into sellers. Just because some company advertises on Glenn
Beck's show doesn't mean they're the best place to go to. Make sure
you're getting the correct amount for the money. Check the up-to-the-
minute price of gold. Be careful!

McMahone

Jul 29, 2010, 12:56:26 AM7/29/10

Not planning to anytime soon myself. Just can't afford to hedge my
bets that far. No way I'd consider some TV outfit if I did either.
I'm just not that trusting.

Marty

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 4:12:17 AM7/29/10
Jim Brown wrote, On 7/28/10 9:49 PM:
> Bellomy and Huck: Drama Queens.
>
> No. Really.

I'm amused the Fox News scams their viewers this way. It's
almost poetic.

cb

Message has been deleted

JGibson

Jul 29, 2010, 7:58:37 AM7/29/10

A decent amount of money in gold is one thing, but definitely check
out the "flowchart" (not sure what else to call it) on Ritholtz's
webpage. The problem isn't that Goldline is selling gold - it's that
they are selling French collector's coins, whose primary value is due
to the fact that they are artistic collector's coins. People would be
better off buying other coins that are closer to the melt value in a
hedge against inflation.

Dennis J

Jul 29, 2010, 9:59:31 AM7/29/10
hey, JGibson <james.m...@gmail.com>'s been through solid matter,
for crying out loud. Who knows what's happened to his brain? Maybe
it's scrambled his molecules...

so actual US MINT gold Coins or Krugerands or Maple leafs?
--

"the Democrat and Republican parties are destroying our country right now,
They're destroying our political process." -- Jesse Ventura

"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" Will Durant

"One can't have a sense of perspective without a sense of Humor" -- Wayne Thiboux

"the Glass is not only half full, it has been delicious so far!!" -- ME

To reply, SCRAPE off the end bits.

Jim Brown

Jul 29, 2010, 10:19:10 AM7/29/10

How do you feel about those on the left being scammed by the
supplement/natural vendors?

Carl Lundstedt

Jul 29, 2010, 10:20:55 AM7/29/10

You misspeeled "Cap & Trade".

Carl Lundstedt
UNL

RaginPage

Jul 29, 2010, 10:24:23 AM7/29/10

Gee, you mean all those ads about Gold are so they can make money??
Investigate, investigate I say!!!!

I thought they were only looking after my best interest.

Give me a break.

Maybe if those agencies investigating spent half that time
investigating actual pyramid schemes they'd actually be doing some
good.

Brent

Carl Lundstedt

Jul 29, 2010, 11:06:19 AM7/29/10

It's only the second or third time Bellomy has brought this up. TAKE
IT SERIOUSLY DAMBIT!@1

Carl

Emperor Wonko the Sane

Jul 29, 2010, 11:35:45 AM7/29/10
On Jul 28, 6:18 pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
> No, really.
>
> http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/07/glenn-beck-goldline/

A question whenever you hear any investment advertisement: "If it's
such a damn good investment, why are you selling? Wouldn't you make
more money by holding it and letting us ignorami stay ignorant?"

Doug

PrinceGunter

Jul 29, 2010, 12:28:35 PM7/29/10

Investing in gold is one thing. Investing in these types of schemes
under the false flag premise that the government will soon confiscate
all privately owned gold except "collector coins," then passing off
$10 Tonga currency as a $50 investment is another.

Normally, I wouldn't expect that an entertainer would be liable for
the products they advertise. However, certain people having
participated in raising the false flag under which the scheme was
perpetrated could make this interesting.

Futbol Phan

Jul 29, 2010, 2:26:50 PM7/29/10

I doubt that Beck and the rest will be at any legal risk in this
situation. It does make you wonder though, why he would have gotten
himself involved in such a shady venture. He can't be making much
money out of this deal, and he sure doesn't need money in general, so
why thoroughly stain your reputation with the people base that you
have eating out of your hand? Doesn't make sense.

RaginPage

Jul 29, 2010, 2:29:24 PM7/29/10
> have eating out of your hand?  Doesn't make sense.- Hide quoted text -

He probably didn't really do his homework first. While I give credit
to Beck for researching his topics, he still does a lot of things on
the fly and has to continually correct, which obviously in an
endorsement deal isn't going to work very well.

Brent

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 2:30:29 PM7/29/10
Jim Brown wrote, On 7/29/10 9:19 AM:

Most of the folks I know who fall prey to this are
glibertarian types, but keep in mind where I live.
I don't see these folks advertising on Olbermann
or Maddow, either.

cb

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 2:31:11 PM7/29/10
RaginPage wrote, On 7/29/10 9:24 AM:

> On Jul 28, 7:18 pm, Chris Bellomy<ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:
>> No, really.
>>
>> http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/07/glenn-beck-goldline/
>
> Gee, you mean all those ads about Gold are so they can make money??

The ads are for a scam. Did you miss that somehow?

cb

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 2:31:40 PM7/29/10
Carl Lundstedt wrote, On 7/29/10 10:06 AM:

?

I didn't even *know* about this until yesterday.

cb

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 2:32:12 PM7/29/10
Emperor Wonko the Sane wrote, On 7/29/10 10:35 AM:

Serious POTD. Couldn't agree more.

cb

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 2:51:12 PM7/29/10
RaginPage wrote, On 7/29/10 1:29 PM:

Really? You don't think he knows exactly what he's doing here?
That's a helluva string of coincidence to attribute to ignorance.

cb

RaginPage

Jul 29, 2010, 3:03:46 PM7/29/10

String of coincidences? Don't you guys blast Beck for HIS conspiracy
theories? There are no strings of coincidences there at all. Beck
endorsed Goldline and it's a bad investment which any idot would know
simply by the high price of gold right now, let alone any of the other
factors regarding what the coins are worth etc.

Pretty simple and not something one needs to make up a flow chart
about either. I think they were just poking fun at Beck and you took
it literally.

Brent

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 3:10:35 PM7/29/10
RaginPage wrote, On 7/29/10 2:03 PM:

Well, it's awfully convenient that he just happens to
be pushing people to antique gold coins with his rants
about FDR's 1933 executive order. It's hard for me to
accept that he's working that vein by coincidence.

cb

RaginPage

Jul 29, 2010, 3:17:00 PM7/29/10

That isn't coincidence, it's him pushing a product. It's shameful
that he did that without being upfront about being a spokesman for
Goldline too. I still fail to see what you are stating about
coincidences.

Brent

Chris Bellomy

Jul 29, 2010, 3:30:58 PM7/29/10
RaginPage wrote, On 7/29/10 2:17 PM:

Maybe I'm wrong -- after all, I don't watch his show --
but my impression is that he does the FDR scaremongering
as part of his regular presentation, not as part of an ad.

If it's just part of the ad, that's still dishonest, but
I concede it's closer to a misdemeanor than the felony I
have in mind.

cb

PrinceGunter

Jul 29, 2010, 3:32:15 PM7/29/10

It did strike me that this is Beck hoist upon his own petard. But
freedom of speech doesn't cover running into a crowded theater and
shouting "FIRE!" Does it cover going before a vulnerable American
audience and shouting "THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT IS COMING FOR YOUR GOLD
BULLION!!"? Especially if you're viewed as a news source rather than
an entertainer.

RaginPage

Jul 29, 2010, 3:34:12 PM7/29/10

He certainly did it as part of the show, something he's had to face up
to, apologize for, and back track on. That all happened it seems like
6 months or more ago, not sure exactly when. His scare-mongering in
that regard seems to have died down lately. Maybe that coincidence is
something you are referring to. I thought his advice on canning was
equally doomsday and no one talked about that.

Perhaps we should see if Ball has paid him anything.

Brent

Dennis J

Jul 29, 2010, 9:57:06 PM7/29/10
hey, RaginPage <btpag...@yahoo.com>'s been through solid matter, for

crying out loud. Who knows what's happened to his brain? Maybe it's
scrambled his molecules...

>On Jul 29, 3:30 pm, Chris Bellomy <ten.wohsdoog@sirhc> wrote:

no the Emergency food backpack people do... so when the world
collapses you can eat meals at home... and the other fear mongering
people that want you to invest in Seed banks... all sponsors of his
show BTW...