Bernie Swinging for the Fence

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Sep 18, 2019, 9:50:28 PM9/18/19
...with the only bat he has.

Now, “national rent control”.

xyzzy

Sep 18, 2019, 9:53:46 PM9/18/19
the_andr...@yahoo.com <the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ...with the only bat he has.
>
> Now, “national rent control”.

Warren is passing him to move into 2nd place. He’s panicking.

Ken Olson

Sep 18, 2019, 10:34:05 PM9/18/19
He needs to go back to the 1930's, where his brain's at.

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2019, 11:02:31 PM9/18/19
On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 6:50:28 PM UTC-7, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> ...with the only bat he has.
>
> Now, “national rent control”.

Your only alternative is beginning to pop up in a number of cities -- mass communal living with zero privacy. Some places, at as high as $1,400 a month just for a bunk bed with a few amenities.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2019, 11:03:52 PM9/18/19
Something's gotta get at least some degree of the homeless off the streets, unless you ARE, in fact, proposing a Purge.

And then something's gotta make it worth it to have a job in the first place which doesn't make $5-6K a month.

As I said in the other post, there are cities where even $1,400 a month gets you no more than a bunk bed and a lot of people who had better be your friends!

Mike

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2019, 6:53:44 AM9/19/19
Most places in the US aren’t $1400 month.

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2019, 6:54:47 AM9/19/19
> unless you ARE, in fact, proposing a Purge.

You should just start responding “darkstar”, since you say the same thing to every post b

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Sep 19, 2019, 7:23:36 AM9/19/19
On 2019-09-19, the_andr...@yahoo.com <the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Most places in the US aren???t $1400 month.

Only the places that have rent control. :)

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in
five years there'd be a shortage of sand." -- Milton Friedman

--
Do you remember, before the internet, that it was thought that the
cause of collective stupidity was the lack of access to information?

xyzzy

Sep 19, 2019, 7:51:16 AM9/19/19
the_andr...@yahoo.com <the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Most places in the US aren’t $1400 month.

There’s a lower-mid-level apartment complex (you know the type of
place...still nice, was top of the market when built in the 1990s, now
getting long in the tooth) near me that posts their 1BR price out front.
It’s kinda like watching gas prices. Just passed the $900 threshold a few
weeks ago.

xyzzy

Sep 19, 2019, 7:55:19 AM9/19/19
the_andr...@yahoo.com <the_andr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Most places in the US aren’t $1400 month.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-urban-rents-hit-all-time-high-at-average-1405-report/

Probably what he’s alluding to.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Sep 19, 2019, 8:18:11 AM9/19/19
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:03:50 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Something's gotta get at least some degree of the homeless off the streets,=
> unless you ARE, in fact, proposing a Purge.

Why are they homeless? Is it their fault? If so why does anybody owe
them anything?

>And then something's gotta make it worth it to have a job in the first plac=
>e which doesn't make $5-6K a month.

They need to qualify themselves to earn more. Any non-handicapped
person should be able to do that. If handicapped they probably deserve
help.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Sep 19, 2019, 8:23:11 AM9/19/19
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:02:29 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 6:50:28 PM UTC-7, the_andr...@yahoo.com=
> wrote:
>> ...with the only bat he has.=20
>>=20
>> Now, =E2=80=9Cnational rent control=E2=80=9D.
>
>Your only alternative is beginning to pop up in a number of cities -- mass =
>communal living with zero privacy.

Why does that caliber person need privacy? He has chosen IMO to be a
slave to responsible society by not improving himself.

Hugh

btpag...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 8:47:44 AM9/19/19
Back in the day, we used to get roommates. People act as if they have no options, and that’s as false a narrative as it gets. The cheapest, government subsidized situations are even rife with people defrauding, proving that the issues aren’t really money and being able to live, but, well, people.

There are folks who have terrible credit, couldn’t get an apartment if they wanted to, are stuck in extended stay places that cost 5X what an apartment would cost them so that even if they got jobs worked out and were starting to get set up, they can barely make ends meet. But the funny thing is, you can give them money, you can get them an apartment, you can subsidize them, give them a hand up, so to speak, and do you know where they will be in a year? We are way too obsessed with trying to make people’s choices for them, and as a country need to realize at some point that for MOST people (certainly not all, but definitely most) much of their situation is a result of choices.

That doesn’t mean there is no sympathy, no empathy, no grace, or even no attempt to help, but at some point, we have to stop throwing money at situations money won’t fix. Added to that, is understanding when to stop subsidizing situations that TIME also won’t help fix. In other words, if the idea is that the money won’t fix it but it helps them exist or live until something else helps fix it, realize that in most cases the something else is NOT there, and no government program can provide it, because it’s too individualized.

A lot of you on the left get all offended when I act like no one else has experience trying to help in these situations, and I realize many of you do have experience, I just wonder sometimes if people pay attention to what actually makes the difference between someone getting up and out of their circumstances and not. Years of frustration with people who have been given every chance SHOULD show the limitations of programs.

Tom Enright

Sep 19, 2019, 10:07:36 AM9/19/19
Rent control is the ultimate in magical thinking.

Good: It appears that I'm making an effort to lower rents
Bad: It reduces the inventory of inexpensive housing and leads
to urban decay.

For many people in this country appearance is more important than reality.

-TE

the_andr...@yahoo.com

Sep 19, 2019, 10:13:14 AM9/19/19
$900. Probably a nice place, just likely a little unintended retro decor.

jim brown

Sep 19, 2019, 10:39:16 AM9/19/19
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:54:47 AM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > unless you ARE, in fact, proposing a Purge.
>
> You should just start responding “darkstar”, since you say the same thing to every post b

TMML (a few others could follow suit with their own keyword)

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 12:20:42 PM9/19/19
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:18:11 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:03:50 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >Something's gotta get at least some degree of the homeless off the streets,=
> > unless you ARE, in fact, proposing a Purge.
>
> Why are they homeless? Is it their fault? If so why does anybody owe
> them anything?

Your safety. You pay for peace.

The alternative is places like San Francisco and Oakland, where you don't even want your car parked anywhere where the windows can be smashed.

I think you want (and, in fact, need) a Purge. You just don't have the balls to admit it publicly.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 12:22:52 PM9/19/19
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:23:11 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> Why does that caliber person need privacy? He has chosen IMO to be a
> slave to responsible society by not improving himself.

What homeless person is going to have 1400/month?

That's the stupid part. You could probably enforce this as a "force to house" situation where the courts seize the check, make a payee situation, etc. and so forth and so on.

But that might get you to about $950 in California, by the read. Some of these places (the communal ones) are asking 1400 for a reason -- they don't WANT that kind of person in the communal situation.

So try again, and stop lying this time.

Mike

J. Hugh Sullivan

Sep 19, 2019, 1:10:55 PM9/19/19
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 09:20:39 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:18:11 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 20:03:50 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Something's gotta get at least some degree of the homeless off the streets,=
>> > unless you ARE, in fact, proposing a Purge.
>>
>> Why are they homeless? Is it their fault? If so why does anybody owe
>> them anything?
>
>Your safety. You pay for peace.
>
>The alternative is places like San Francisco and Oakland, where you don't even want your car parked anywhere where the windows can be smashed.

Now I'm wondering why I should care about Frisco and Oakland.

>I think you want (and, in fact, need) a Purge. You just don't have the balls to admit it publicly.

I don't see the point in public threats. You lose the element of
surprise. And I don't suppose anyone is terrified by a 91 year old
man...except, perhaps under circumstances I have no plans to circum.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Sep 19, 2019, 1:16:24 PM9/19/19
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 09:22:50 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:23:11 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>
>> Why does that caliber person need privacy? He has chosen IMO to be a
>> slave to responsible society by not improving himself.
>
>What homeless person is going to have 1400/month?

What person is so sorry that he won't try to get off liberal welfare
and improve his situation? I'm not familiar with such.

>But that might get you to about $950 in California, by the read. Some of these places (the communal ones) are asking 1400 for a reason -- they don't WANT that kind of person in the communal situation.

You make it sound like Pompeii should happen to CA.

Hugh

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 2:08:45 PM9/19/19
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 10:10:55 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:

> >Your safety. You pay for peace.
> >
> >The alternative is places like San Francisco and Oakland, where you don't even want your car parked anywhere where the windows can be smashed.
>
> Now I'm wondering why I should care about Frisco and Oakland.

Again, you pay for peace. You're beginning to see it spread to other major cities.

> >I think you want (and, in fact, need) a Purge. You just don't have the balls to admit it publicly.
>
> I don't see the point in public threats. You lose the element of
> surprise. And I don't suppose anyone is terrified by a 91 year old
> man...except, perhaps under circumstances I have no plans to circum.

You see, I disagree.

There's three reasons for public threats:

1) It's the only way to get through to a lot of people and force them to make a decision, like or lump.

2) It basically tells TPTB that you WILL deal with this problem, or it's going to dealt with for you.

3) It sets the table for action by parties committed to do so.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 2:09:44 PM9/19/19
On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 10:16:24 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 09:22:50 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 5:23:11 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> >
> >> Why does that caliber person need privacy? He has chosen IMO to be a
> >> slave to responsible society by not improving himself.
> >
> >What homeless person is going to have 1400/month?
>
> What person is so sorry that he won't try to get off liberal welfare
> and improve his situation? I'm not familiar with such.

Liberal welfare is the only reason millions ever were born in this country.

> >But that might get you to about $950 in California, by the read. Some of these places (the communal ones) are asking 1400 for a reason -- they don't WANT that kind of person in the communal situation.
>
> You make it sound like Pompeii should happen to CA.

Correction: I make it sound like you want Pompeii to happen to CA.

By my reading, you would hardly be alone.

Mike

btpag...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 2:33:03 PM9/19/19
Liberal welfare is the only reason millionaires were born in this country?

Dude, pick up a history book someday.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Sep 19, 2019, 5:39:31 PM9/19/19
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 11:08:43 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:
If they shoot you now, from behind, and without a threat, that would
leave you with no options.

Or, suppose y'all killed everyone who disagreed with you and only
those like you were left. You would only have each other to kill. What
then?

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Sep 19, 2019, 5:55:27 PM9/19/19
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 11:09:42 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 10:16:24 AM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 09:22:50 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
>> wrote:

>> >What homeless person is going to have 1400/month?
>>
>> What person is so sorry that he won't try to get off liberal welfare
>> and improve his situation? I'm not familiar with such.
>
>Liberal welfare is the only reason millions ever were born in this country.

That may be the best condemnation of liberals I have ever seen.

>> You make it sound like Pompeii should happen to CA.
>
>Correction: I make it sound like you want Pompeii to happen to CA.

I am having a difficult time worrying about what might happen to CA. I
just can't seem to care no matter how hard I try. You have no idea
what I want. I don't even know what I want so much that I'm happy
about it.

>By my reading, you would hardly be alone.

I think most sensible people reject your perception of the world, so I
would probably not be alone. I actually doubt that the left-most
liberal on rsfc would agree with you very often.

Hugh

Ken Olson

Sep 19, 2019, 6:30:23 PM9/19/19
Peace through superior firepower.