States are seeing budget surpluses

CheeseHusker dos

Jul 20, 2011, 12:41:31 PM7/20/11
Interesting.....about a dozen states should see surpluses this year
according to this:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/17/many-states-celebrate-surpluses-as-congress-strugg/

Willie Mays Hayes

Jul 20, 2011, 12:50:35 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 11:41 am, CheeseHusker dos <jonrus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Interesting.....about a dozen states should see surpluses this year
> according to this:
>
> http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/17/many-states-celebrate...

Yep. The Dems here have been railing about how we should be spending
that half billion, not saving it. I just shake my head. How do these
folks manage their own household budget if they feel the need to spend
every dime the minute they have it?

deem...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2011, 12:51:34 PM7/20/11

The easiest thing ro do is spend other peoples' money ($1)

Carl Lundstedt

Jul 20, 2011, 12:56:42 PM7/20/11
Willie Mays Hayes wrote:

There will be more. That's what more MEANS! ($ long lost 80s show
Dinosaurs)

Carl

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 1:10:43 PM7/20/11

Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?

--
I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as

Antonio Veranos

Jul 20, 2011, 1:25:19 PM7/20/11
[Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]
[Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:10:43 -0500]

: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?

Who gives a shit? The policies enacted are far more important than the
political party of the people enacting them.

--
Antonio Veranos

<insert witty comment here>

TimV

Jul 20, 2011, 1:27:29 PM7/20/11
On 7/20/2011 12:10 PM, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2011-07-20, CheeseHusker dos<jonr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Interesting.....about a dozen states should see surpluses this year
>> according to this:
>>
>> http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/17/many-states-celebrate-surpluses-as-congress-strugg/
>
> Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?

In my state's case, I don't think you can exactly give credit to the
current Republican governor. She wasn't in office until January and had
nothing to do with this year's budget (enacted under a Democrat). We
will give her credit for anything for next year as her budget walloped a
couple hundred million off next fiscal year.

deem...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2011, 1:24:08 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 1:10 pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"
<consta...@duxmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-07-20, CheeseHusker dos <jonrus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting.....about a dozen states should see surpluses this year
> > according to this:
>
> >http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jul/17/many-states-celebrate...

> Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?

How about the legislatures?

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 1:53:33 PM7/20/11

The voters of your state are the ones that mostly deserve the
credit...

--
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently equipped fool. -- unknown

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 1:58:55 PM7/20/11
On 2011-07-20, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
> [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]
> [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:10:43 -0500]
>
>: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
>
> Who gives a shit? The policies enacted are far more important than the
> political party of the people enacting them.

Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
money wisely? If that party was the Democrats, which one would I want
to vote for?

I have voted for plenty of Democrats in my time. Not the last
election, because I felt that the entire party should pay for 1) the
abomination of Obamacare being rammed through, 2) ARRA, and 3) the
bailout of GM. A long-time Democratic state rep went bye-bye in my
quite conservative district for exactly that reason -- people who had
previously been willing to crossover didn't.

Antonio Veranos

Jul 20, 2011, 1:59:45 PM7/20/11
[Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]
[Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:58:55 -0500]

: >: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
: >
:
: Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
: money wisely?

Sorry, I don't buy into that bullshit line of argument and feel deeply
sorry for those who do. Such people are destroying our country.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 2:07:56 PM7/20/11
On 2011-07-20, deem...@aol.com <deem...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 1:10?pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"

I see no one needs to really needs to guess the party. The
legislatures are much the same. I believe it is 8 fully controlled by
Republicans, one split, two Democratic. Nine Republican governors,
two Democrat.

Of course the biggest amount of credit goes not to the party, but
to the balanced budget requirements of almost every state. (Not that
Illinois or California have ever paid much attention to that.)

The point is, this stuff can be done. It is a question of being willing to
dismantle programs that aren't pulling their weight. If you don't have
a balanced budget requirement, the incentive to dismantle programs is
reduced greatly.

--
An alien from Mars would almost instantly diagnose the problem of the
Palestinians from simply listening to their inane apologists: The

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 2:15:38 PM7/20/11
On 2011-07-20, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
> [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]
> [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:58:55 -0500]
>
>: >: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
>: >
>: > Who gives a shit? The policies enacted are far more important than the
>: > political party of the people enacting them.
>:
>: Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
>: money wisely?
>
> Sorry, I don't buy into that bullshit line of argument and feel deeply
> sorry for those who do.

What a cop-out. It is clear which party has been the restraint on
spending. When Democrats have controlled both houses and the
executive at the same time, spending has exploded. The last two
times, the economy has tanked.

Not to say that the Republicans from 2000-2006 did much better.
They were awesomely bad, which sentiment I will try to drive home to
Dick Lugar as I work to primary his ass.

> Such people are destroying our country.

Huh? If you aren't a waffling fake moderate, you are destroying
the country? Who knew?

--
"there are, indeed, few things that are more frightening than the
steadily increasing prestige of scientifically minded brain trusters

xyzzy

Jul 20, 2011, 2:23:04 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 1:59 pm, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
> [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, consta...@duxmail.com]

> [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:58:55 -0500]
>
> : >: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
> : >
> : > Who gives a shit?  The policies enacted are far more important than the
> : > political party of the people enacting them.
> :
> : Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
> : money wisely?
>
> Sorry, I don't buy into that bullshit line of argument and feel deeply
> sorry for those who do.  Such people are destroying our country.

He means, even Republican governors can benefit from the Obama
recovery!

;)

xyzzy

Jul 20, 2011, 2:22:29 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 2:15 pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"

<consta...@duxmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-07-20, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
>
> > [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, consta...@duxmail.com]

> > [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:58:55 -0500]
>
> >: >: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
> >: >
> >: > Who gives a shit?  The policies enacted are far more important than the
> >: > political party of the people enacting them.
> >:
> >: Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
> >: money wisely?
>
> > Sorry, I don't buy into that bullshit line of argument and feel deeply
> > sorry for those who do.
>
> What a cop-out. It is clear which party has been the restraint on
> spending. When Democrats have controlled both houses and the
> executive at the same time, spending has exploded.

What happened with spending the last time Republicans controlled both
houses and the executive (2001-2007)?

lein

Jul 20, 2011, 2:33:50 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 10:59 am, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com>
wrote:
> [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, consta...@duxmail.com]

> [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:58:55 -0500]
>
> : >: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
> : >
> : > Who gives a shit?  The policies enacted are far more important than the
> : > political party of the people enacting them.
> :
> : Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
> : money wisely?
>
> Sorry, I stick my fingers in my ears and yell "BLAH BLAH BLAH" when I am challenged and can't provide a reasoned response.

IFYPFY

lein

Jul 20, 2011, 2:32:28 PM7/20/11

And Democrat Governor's can't? That doesn't make sense.

Antonio Veranos

Jul 20, 2011, 2:35:27 PM7/20/11
[Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]
[Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:15:38 -0500]

: >: Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
: >: money wisely?
: >
: > Sorry, I don't buy into that bullshit line of argument and feel deeply
: > sorry for those who do.
:
: What a cop-out.

Look up that term you're misusing.

: It is clear which party has been the restraint on

: spending. When Democrats have controlled both houses and the
: executive at the same time, spending has exploded. The last two
: times, the economy has tanked.
:
: Not to say that the Republicans from 2000-2006 did much better.
: They were awesomely bad, which sentiment I will try to drive home to
: Dick Lugar as I work to primary his ass.

It's not about the parties, you partisan dolt.

: > Such people are destroying our country.

:
: Huh? If you aren't a waffling fake moderate, you are destroying
: the country? Who knew?

Ah, so people who evaluate the issues and think for themselves rather
than going by party affiliation first and brain (maybe) second, those
people are "fake", eh? What bullshit.

The fact is that every person out there who sees party first and issue
second needs to be dragged into the street and shot in the goddamn face.
Such people are RUINING what was once the greatest nation in history.

deem...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2011, 2:29:21 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 2:07 pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"
<consta...@duxmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-07-20, deemsb...@aol.com <deemsb...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 20, 1:10?pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"
> ><consta...@duxmail.com> wrote:

> >> Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
>
> > How about the legislatures?
>
> I see no one needs to really needs to guess the party. The
> legislatures are much the same. I believe it is 8 fully controlled by
> Republicans, one split, two Democratic. Nine Republican governors,
> two Democrat.
>
> Of course the biggest amount of credit goes not to the party, but
> to the balanced budget requirements of almost every state. (Not that
> Illinois or California have ever paid much attention to that.)
>
> The point is, this stuff can be done. It is a question of being willing to
> dismantle programs that aren't pulling their weight. If you don't have
> a balanced budget requirement, the incentive to dismantle programs is
> reduced greatly.

Agreed. The question with the existing Fed problem is how much of
a cure can we implement without it becoming a poison? I'd like to see
a balanced budget amendment....but we didn't get in this mess
overnight and won't get out of it quickly. The first step, though, is
to stop digging....or at least downsize the spade.

lein

Jul 20, 2011, 2:31:52 PM7/20/11

Tom Delay is no longer running the Republicans, they have changed
(been forced to change) by elections.

Unlike the Democrats who are still lead by Pelosi/Reid.

xyzzy

Jul 20, 2011, 2:57:42 PM7/20/11

Well, close. That change was actually forced by DeLay being indicted
for corruption.

> Unlike the Democrats who are still lead by Pelosi/Reid.

A lot of us are not happy about that, though I suspect for different
reasons than you are.

deem...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2011, 1:26:44 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 1:25 pm, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
> [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, consta...@duxmail.com]
> [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:10:43 -0500]
>
> : Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
>
> Who gives a shit?  The policies enacted are far more important than the
> political party of the people enacting them.

Um, what rock have you been living under?????????????????

Antonio Veranos

Jul 20, 2011, 3:21:59 PM7/20/11
[deem...@aol.com, deem...@aol.com]
[Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:26:44 -0700 (PDT)]

: > : Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?

: >
: > Who gives a shit?  The policies enacted are far more important than the
: > political party of the people enacting them.
:
: Um, what rock have you been living under?????????????????

I'm aware of the polidiocy in our country which puts party ahead of all
else; that doesn't mean I have to like or accept it.

deem...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2011, 3:26:09 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 3:21 pm, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
> [deemsb...@aol.com, deemsb...@aol.com]

> [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:26:44 -0700 (PDT)]
>
> : > : Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
> : >
> : > Who gives a shit?  The policies enacted are far more important than the
> : > political party of the people enacting them.
> :
> :     Um, what rock have you been living under?????????????????
>
> I'm aware of the polidiocy in our country which puts party ahead of all
> else; that doesn't mean I have to like or accept it.

Okay...carry on.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 3:30:59 PM7/20/11
On 2011-07-20, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:

Excuse me. One has to stand in awe of a person like yourself, who can
evaluate hundreds of issues at great depth, while attempting to live
their life as well. And in the process achieve a deep level of
understanding in the process, one that allows them to make independent
decisions on dozens of candidate races.

--
"It is a remarkable fact that despite the worldwide expenditure of perhaps
US$50 billion since 1990, and the efforts of tens of thousands of scientists

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 3:32:08 PM7/20/11
On 2011-07-20, xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2:15?pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"

><consta...@duxmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-07-20, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
>>
>> > [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, consta...@duxmail.com]
>> > [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:58:55 -0500]
>>
>> >: >: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
>> >: >
>> >: > Who gives a shit? ?The policies enacted are far more important than the
>> >: > political party of the people enacting them. ?

>> >:
>> >: Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
>> >: money wisely?
>>
>> > Sorry, I don't buy into that bullshit line of argument and feel deeply
>> > sorry for those who do.
>>
>> What a cop-out. It is clear which party has been the restraint on
>> spending. When Democrats have controlled both houses and the
>> executive at the same time, spending has exploded.
>
> What happened with spending the last time Republicans controlled both
> houses and the executive (2001-2007)?

I see you snipped the next paragraph of my post, which mentioned
the abominable performance of that collection.

--
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Edison

Antonio Veranos

Jul 20, 2011, 3:40:22 PM7/20/11
[Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]
[Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:30:59 -0500]

[...]

Just making stuff up now? Why comment (or vote) on an issue which you
don't understand... just because your party's going a certain way?

Seriously, how irresponsible.

Con Reeder, unhyphenated American

Jul 20, 2011, 3:46:46 PM7/20/11
On 2011-07-20, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:

I think you need to change the battery on your trolling motor.

--
Fast, reliable, cheap. Pick two and we'll talk.
-- unknown

Antonio Veranos

Jul 20, 2011, 4:51:55 PM7/20/11
[Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]
[Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:46:46 -0500]

:

You attack me for thinking for myself, not once but twice, and you try
to pawn that bullshit off as me being the one trolling? Tsk...

xyzzy

Jul 20, 2011, 6:58:08 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 3:32 pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"
<consta...@duxmail.com> wrote:

> On 2011-07-20, xyzzy <xyzzy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 20, 2:15?pm, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American"
> ><consta...@duxmail.com> wrote:

> >> What a cop-out. It is clear which party has been the restraint on
> >> spending. When Democrats have controlled both houses and the
> >> executive at the same time, spending has exploded.
>
> > What happened with spending the last time Republicans controlled both
> > houses and the executive (2001-2007)?
>
> I see you snipped the next paragraph of my post, which mentioned
> the abominable performance of that collection.

Mainly because I replied before reading that far. Not my best effort.

Dennis J

Jul 20, 2011, 7:22:48 PM7/20/11
hey, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <cons...@duxmail.com>'s
been through solid matter, for crying out loud. Who knows what's
happened to his brain? Maybe it's scrambled his molecules...

ahh to be a party hack... beware of thinking with partisan brain it
leads to DOLE-Itus.... and a Dem Victory in 1012.

--

"It�s been so difficult to get out of this recession because of the disequilibrium in the real economy.�" -- Paul Volcker
"Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" Will Durant

xyzzy

Jul 20, 2011, 7:43:51 PM7/20/11
On Jul 20, 7:22 pm, Dennis J <drjud...@frontier.SCRAPE.COM> wrote:
> hey, "Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <consta...@duxmail.com>'s

> been through solid matter, for crying out loud. Who knows what's
> happened to his brain? Maybe it's scrambled his molecules...

> >> In my state's case, I don't think you can exactly give credit to the
> >> current Republican governor. She wasn't in office until January and had
> >> nothing to do with this year's budget (enacted under a Democrat). We
> >> will give her credit for anything for next year as her budget walloped a
> >> couple hundred million off next fiscal year.
>
> >The voters of your state are the ones that mostly deserve the
> >credit...
>
> ahh to be a party hack... beware of thinking with partisan brain it
> leads to DOLE-Itus.... and a Dem Victory in 1012.

Dude, don't blame us. We tried warn the GOP that Aethelred was
unelectable.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jul 20, 2011, 7:56:40 PM7/20/11
In article
<37bc6379-4d93-451f...@s17g2000yqs.googlegroups.com>,
xyzzy <xyzzy...@gmail.com> wrote:

Will they retreat to Hadrian's Wall?
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

TimV

Jul 20, 2011, 9:48:24 PM7/20/11

You joke, but there are substantial numbers within the Republican party
that wouldn't mind it being 1012. Just think: 1) for all practical
purposes, you own your workforce so labor costs are low and most the
workforce dies before 50 so no pension costs; 2) the church and state
are inexorably linked; 3) in just a few years, we can deal with all of
our internal problems by sending everyone to the middle east to kill
lots of muslims.

The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior

Jul 20, 2011, 11:18:54 PM7/20/11
> T- Hide quoted text -

Hmmmmm......

Of course, living in Madison as I do, I know plenty of members of the
Garrison Keillor wing on the Dem Party - the one in which everyone's
completely equal in all ways and everybody gets to ride a carbon free
unicorn, so I suppose it all evens out in the end anyway.

Dennis J

Jul 21, 2011, 9:12:31 AM7/21/11
hey, TimV <nos...@nospam.com>'s been through solid matter, for crying

Ahhh the good old days thanks for understanding my Typo...

TimV

Jul 21, 2011, 10:13:07 AM7/21/11

We don't have too many of those here. The Dems here mostly consist of
conservative ethnic minorities and people that still haven't forgiven
Lincoln.

CheeseHusker dos

Jul 21, 2011, 11:54:33 AM7/21/11

Wanna trade a few? Just to mix things up a bit

Kyle T. Jones

Jul 24, 2011, 4:48:59 AM7/24/11
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> On 2011-07-20, Antonio Veranos <nos...@thanksverymuch.com> wrote:
>> [Con Reeder, unhyphenated American, cons...@duxmail.com]

>> [Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:58:55 -0500]
>>
>> : >: Who wants to guess the governor's party for 83% of those states?
>> : >
>> : > Who gives a shit? The policies enacted are far more important than the
>> : > political party of the people enacting them.
>> :
>> : Yes, but which party is more likely to enact policies that spend
>> : money wisely?
>>
>> Sorry, I don't buy into that bullshit line of argument and feel deeply
>> sorry for those who do.
>
> What a cop-out. It is clear which party has been the restraint on
> spending. When Democrats have controlled both houses and the
> executive at the same time, spending has exploded. The last two
> times, the economy has tanked.

Awesomely, I've been predicting the Carterfication of Obama since
January 2009 - here, proof:

http://www.recpoker.biz/index.php?t=msg&th=201152&goto=1232359&S=96b9a047f2480d381af8c17cf225371b#msg_1232359

I'll admit - I thought it'd take a decade or two. Da ballz on yous guys!@!@

Cheers.

"And the Carterfication of Obama begins. Trust me on this, in twenty
years Mike'll be claiming the markets and economy were doing JUST SUPER
until Obama took over.

Cheers."