Minimum wage

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 15, 2016, 12:02:52 PM3/15/16
A burger flipper at McDonalds, if the min wage is increased to $15 and
working 40 hours, would earn $31,200. And they don't even have to know
how to make change.

An E-1 earns $18,378; an E-6 with 6 years earns $35,578.80.

Do all you former enlisted men think that's about right?

Hugh

JGibson

Mar 15, 2016, 1:11:13 PM3/15/16
Minimum Wage! Yah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOfxS_Qp1g

Oops. Accidentally played this right when the janitor walked in.

Some dued

Mar 15, 2016, 1:51:37 PM3/15/16
Although its true, military service also includes room/board and healthcare at least not to mention enlistment bonuses education benefits, retirement and what have you.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 15, 2016, 2:20:50 PM3/15/16
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:51:34 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Although its true, military service also includes room/board and healthcare at least not to mention enlistment bonuses education benefits, retirement and what have you.

If I was on AcDu my base pay would be a little more than $100,000.

So, with all the benefits you mention I suppose everyone here must be
making more than $100,000 plus the benefits - right?

Hugh

Some dued

Mar 15, 2016, 3:07:49 PM3/15/16
What are you trying to be sarcastic about?

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 15, 2016, 5:41:38 PM3/15/16
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 12:07:48 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What are you trying to be sarcastic about?

About the idea of even considering raising the minimum wage... Raise
the min wage and costs go up so people get cost of living increases.
The little people never really gain. All the numbers just get bigger.
That's why it takes $100,000 to live now instead of $35,000.

It 's like cutting off the bottom of a blanket and sewing it on the
top to make it longer.

And I enjoy sarcasm.

Hugh

Some dued

Mar 15, 2016, 7:51:45 PM3/15/16
So if it makes no difference why do you care if it gets raised?

Ken Olson

Mar 15, 2016, 8:57:08 PM3/15/16
On 3/15/2016 7:51 PM, Some dued wrote:
> So if it makes no difference why do you care if it gets raised?

It will make a difference to those of us that have a fixed income.

Some dued

Mar 15, 2016, 9:26:31 PM3/15/16
According to Hugh's logic, we should lower the minimum wage to .50 cents, then we could all go to the movies and have dinner for a nickel again and Olson would be a millionaire with his fixed income.

Ken Olson

Mar 15, 2016, 9:32:36 PM3/15/16
On 3/15/2016 9:26 PM, Some dued wrote:
> According to Hugh's logic, we should lower the minimum wage to .50 cents, then we could all go to the movies and have dinner for a nickel again and Olson would be a millionaire with his fixed income.

Then I could take you to lunch!

Some dued

Mar 15, 2016, 10:18:44 PM3/15/16
I've never dined in millionaire class, I'll have the oysters

Ken Olson

Mar 15, 2016, 11:01:51 PM3/15/16
On 3/15/2016 10:18 PM, Some dued wrote:
> I've never dined in millionaire class, I'll have the oysters

I'm thinking a place with good home cookin'.

Some dued

Mar 15, 2016, 11:03:40 PM3/15/16
So my mom's house then.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 16, 2016, 8:47:28 AM3/16/16
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 18:26:27 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>According to Hugh's logic, we should lower the minimum wage to .50 cents, then we could all go to the movies and have dinner for a nickel again and Olson would be a millionaire with his fixed income.

I remember when I became 12 years old. The cost for a movie ticket
went from 11 to 28 cents. A hamburger with slaw and a coke was 15
cents - cokes were 5 cents. I could ride my $10 bike to the movie a
few years later and leave it unlocked outside until I reclaimed it. I
paid for it with earnings from delivering the Memphis Commercial
Appeal before school started. A new Plymouth cost less than $1,000 and
a Buick was $1,300 until my mom would not pay an amount with a 13. I
had a checking account when I was 13 with my own money. I still have
the first check I wrote to buy my mom a Mother's Day present.

I don't know if my dad ever made $100 per week but we had a paid for
home and 2 rental homes, 2 cars and ate as well or better than now.

So what changed? You are earning 20 times that now have cell phones
and TV and probably half the people are not worth a shit. You have a
civil war even though no shot has yet been fired. I almost forgot air
con.

As for money you have done nothing but add several zeroes - actually
that's nothing.

We had gravel roads, not interstates, but we got where we wanted to
go. We gathered around the radio at night but that was better than
most of the crap on TV now. We didn't have house keys because we
didn't need to lock our houses. Being in jail was a bad thing.

Medicine has enabled me to live 25 years longer than my dad - but he
didn't have to watch a couple of liberal meatheads send this country
down the drain because they are either stupid or traitors. But y'all
call that progressive.

I have lived in both eras so no one needs to tell me how it was by
what they read in books or are taught by a bunch of liberal shit
college profs at Harvard.

I wouldn't want to return to the 30s and 40s because it was less
comfortable. But I could and that's more than a lot of the people on
rsfc.

Hugh

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 16, 2016, 8:48:56 AM3/16/16
On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:18:41 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've never dined in millionaire class, I'll have the oysters

Raw oysters are overrated. I ate a dozen one time on a date and only 6
worked.

Hugh

Some dued

Mar 16, 2016, 12:05:20 PM3/16/16
Why are you saying "you" did this stuff instead of "we"?

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 16, 2016, 3:28:47 PM3/16/16
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 09:05:17 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why are you saying "you" did this stuff instead of "we"?

I think you have Alzheimers or you would have a more acceptable
viewpoint.

Hugh

Some dued

Mar 16, 2016, 5:06:00 PM3/16/16
Not yet but I am pretty certain I'll be seeing Alzheimer's symptoms within 10 years. Family legacy.

Ken Olson

Mar 16, 2016, 5:40:19 PM3/16/16
On 3/16/2016 5:05 PM, Some dued wrote:
> Not yet but I am pretty certain I'll be seeing Alzheimer's symptoms within 10 years. Family legacy.

Speechless.

meda...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2016, 5:44:30 PM3/16/16
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 5:06:00 PM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> Not yet but I am pretty certain I'll be seeing Alzheimer's symptoms within 10 years. Family legacy.

How old?

Some dued

Mar 16, 2016, 6:31:50 PM3/16/16
I'll be 50 this year.

J. Hugh Sullivan

Mar 17, 2016, 5:44:50 AM3/17/16
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:31:49 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
<theodo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'll be 50 this year.

And you asked me...

>Why are you saying "you" did this stuff instead of "we"?

Because I lived it and you just read about it.

I'll bet you never pumped gas from a gravity pump. I doubt that you
ever drove a car with mechanical brakes. I doubt you ever hunted quail
at spots that are now miles within the city limits. You didn't have a
driver's license before automatic transmissions. You were not 6,000 or
more miles from home when WWII ended. That doesn't say much about me,
it just says you don't know what you're talking about.

I can even remember when blacks were pretty happy even though it was
possibly because they didn't know any better and they had Saturday
night. I worked beside them and played with them. Now few are happy.
Most people going from happy to irate is the definition of a
"progressive".

A lot of things were wrong in those years but we didn't know better.
Progressive is learning how to make things wrong get worse.

I think liberals with college degrees went to A & M colleges and
majored in bull shit.

Hugh