Cooeee Alslam #67854: India record?

alvey

Aug 12, 2007, 7:01:57 AM8/12/07
After this current Test between Pomlandia & Indland completes India will
then play 19 consecutive ODOs against full members before their next Test.
Is this a record for consecutive ODOs?

alvey

Andrew Dunford

Aug 12, 2007, 5:30:06 PM8/12/07

"alvey" <alvey_embarr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> After this current Test between Pomlandia & Indland completes India will
> then play 19 consecutive ODOs against full members before their next Test.
> Is this a record for consecutive ODOs?

Nice artificial criteria (against full members).

Australia is the spiritual home of the cheap meaningless odo: their current
run will extend to 31 consecutive odos between Tests, which is even more
than the non-Test playing New Zealand.

Funny how India never seems to have any problem finding somebody against
whom to play a seven-match series.

Andrew

alvey

Aug 13, 2007, 2:43:12 AM8/13/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:30:06 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:

> "alvey" <alvey_embarr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> After this current Test between Pomlandia & Indland completes India will
>> then play 19 consecutive ODOs against full members before their next Test.
>> Is this a record for consecutive ODOs?
>
> Nice artificial criteria (against full members).

Why is it "artificial"?

> Australia is the spiritual home of the cheap meaningless odo: their current
> run will extend to 31 consecutive odos between Tests, which is even more
> than the non-Test playing New Zealand.

I meant 'excluding WC games'.
And is NZ playing *anything* soon?

> Funny how India never seems to have any problem finding somebody against
> whom to play a seven-match series.

Not "funny", depressing.

alvey

Andrew Dunford

Aug 13, 2007, 4:16:57 AM8/13/07

"alvey" <is...@allinterested.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:30:06 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:
>
>> "alvey" <alvey_embarr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> After this current Test between Pomlandia & Indland completes India will
>>> then play 19 consecutive ODOs against full members before their next
>>> Test.
>>> Is this a record for consecutive ODOs?
>>
>> Nice artificial criteria (against full members).
>
> Why is it "artificial"?

Because an odo is an odo, irrespective of the opponents.

>> Australia is the spiritual home of the cheap meaningless odo: their
>> current
>> run will extend to 31 consecutive odos between Tests, which is even more
>> than the non-Test playing New Zealand.
>
> I meant 'excluding WC games'.

Ok, if we ignore the World Cup then Australia is currently in the middle of
a run of 20 odos without a Test match.

> And is NZ playing *anything* soon?

I believe they are sending a team to the Twenty 20 thing.

<snip>

Andrew

HVS

Aug 13, 2007, 4:29:25 AM8/13/07
On 13 Aug 2007, Andrew Dunford wrote

> "alvey" <is...@allinterested.com> wrote in message

>> And is NZ playing *anything* soon?
>
> I believe they are sending a team to the Twenty 20 thing.

They're grouped with SL, with Kenya as that group's third team.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Mohan

Aug 13, 2007, 6:05:51 AM8/13/07
On Aug 13, 2:30 am, "Andrew Dunford" <adunf...@artifax.net> wrote:
<snip>

> Funny how India never seems to have any problem finding somebody against
> whom to play a seven-match series.

Not just that. In this case, it is that somebody else who has
organized a seven-match series. ECB could well have organized 4-test+3-
odi series in the same time period and bcci wouldn't have cared. I
don't think ICC stipulates that home and away series between two teams
should be identically structured. Just because bcci organized 3-test,
7-odi series when England last toured India, it is not necessary that
ECB should reciprocate with the same. So I don't see why India should
be blamed for ECB organizing gazillion odi's.

Andrew Dunford

Aug 13, 2007, 9:18:06 PM8/13/07

"Mohan" <mohandas...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You are correct that the ICC does not stipulate that home-and-way series
must be identically structured.

However for one who is always telling us how much power the BCCI carries,
I'm surprised you claim the BCCI would have been perfectly happy with four
Tests plus three odos. I find that rather unlikely.

The ECB is committed to a home programme of seven Test matches annually. At
the ticket prices they somehow get away with charging, Test cricket brings
in a serious amount of revenue in gate takings. I cannot imagine the ECB
would have arranged a four Test series against West Indies if the BCCI had
been prepared to play more than three Test matches.

Andrew

Mohan

Aug 13, 2007, 10:12:59 PM8/13/07
On Aug 14, 6:18 am, "Andrew Dunford" <adunf...@artifax.net> wrote:
> You are correct that the ICC does not stipulate that home-and-way series
> must be identically structured.
>
> However for one who is always telling us how much power the BCCI carries,
> I'm surprised you claim the BCCI would have been perfectly happy with four
> Tests plus three odos. I find that rather unlikely.

I am saying bcci wouldn't have cared because they have nothing to gain
by this tour. This is an ECB show and they are the ones who make money
from this. As far as bcci is concerned, they have loaned their cash
cow to ECB for two months and how they want to utilise it during that
period is entirely up to them. Knowing bcci, do you really expect them
to worry about anything that doesn't impact their bottom line?

> The ECB is committed to a home programme of seven Test matches annually. At
> the ticket prices they somehow get away with charging, Test cricket brings
> in a serious amount of revenue in gate takings. I cannot imagine the ECB
> would have arranged a four Test series against West Indies if the BCCI had
> been prepared to play more than three Test matches.

I suspect that in their calculations, the attraction of selling 3
additional odi's to Indian tv audience trumped selling an additional
test to home audience.

Mohan
> Andrew

alvey

Aug 14, 2007, 2:38:26 AM8/14/07
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:16:57 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:

> "alvey" <is...@allinterested.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:30:06 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:
>>
>>> "alvey" <alvey_embarr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Nice artificial criteria (against full members).
>>
>> Why is it "artificial"?
>
> Because an odo is an odo, irrespective of the opponents.

So do India's two warm-up games for the upcoming 39 game series against the
poms count in the Indian player's odo stats?

>>> Australia is the spiritual home of the cheap meaningless odo: their
>>> current
>>> run will extend to 31 consecutive odos between Tests, which is even more
>>> than the non-Test playing New Zealand.
>>
>> I meant 'excluding WC games'.
>
> Ok, if we ignore the World Cup then Australia is currently in the middle of
> a run of 20 odos without a Test match.

Disgraceful. And Shirley a'Record.

>> And is NZ playing *anything* soon?
>
> I believe they are sending a team to the Twenty 20 thing.

And if a multi-national optometrical company isn't a major spoonsor of this
event then someone's not doing their job.

alvey

Mike Holmans

Aug 14, 2007, 3:35:21 AM8/14/07
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:18:06 +1200, "Andrew Dunford"
<adun...@artifax.net> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>"Mohan" <mohandas...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>You are correct that the ICC does not stipulate that home-and-way series

>must be identically structured.
>
>However for one who is always telling us how much power the BCCI carries,
>I'm surprised you claim the BCCI would have been perfectly happy with four
>Tests plus three odos. I find that rather unlikely.
>
>The ECB is committed to a home programme of seven Test matches annually. At
>the ticket prices they somehow get away with charging, Test cricket brings
>in a serious amount of revenue in gate takings. I cannot imagine the ECB
>would have arranged a four Test series against West Indies if the BCCI had
>been prepared to play more than three Test matches.

The ECB also wanted to have a T20 against India, but the BCCI is too
snooty to get involved with a T20 unless it's forced to by ICC.

Cheers,

Mike

Andrew Dunford

Aug 14, 2007, 4:35:05 AM8/14/07

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:16:57 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:
>
>> "alvey" <is...@allinterested.com> wrote in message

>>> Why is it "artificial"?
>>
>> Because an odo is an odo, irrespective of the opponents.
>
> So do India's two warm-up games for the upcoming 39 game series against
> the
> poms count in the Indian player's odo stats?

You've lost me. An odo is a match between the national sides of two
countries whose cricket boards have been granted odo status by the ICC. One
of India's so-called warmup matches is an odo against Scotland, the other is
not against a national team thus is not an odo.

<snip>

Andrew

Andrew Dunford

Aug 14, 2007, 4:36:08 AM8/14/07

"Mike Holmans" <mi...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Good for them.

Perhaps the ECB should be negotiating with the ICL.

Andrew

Message has been deleted

alvey

Aug 14, 2007, 6:05:09 AM8/14/07
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:35:05 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:

> "alvey" <is...@allinterested.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:16:57 +1200, Andrew Dunford wrote:
>>
>>> "alvey" <is...@allinterested.com> wrote in message

>>> Because an odo is an odo, irrespective of the opponents.
>>
>> So do India's two warm-up games for the upcoming 39 game series against
>> the
>> poms count in the Indian player's odo stats?
>
> You've lost me.

And I won't post a reward.

> An odo is a match between the national sides of two
> countries whose cricket boards have been granted odo status by the ICC. One
> of India's so-called warmup matches is an odo against Scotland, the other is
> not against a national team thus is not an odo.
>
> <snip>

So India's run of consecutive odos then is 20, tying Oz's.
These are exciting times.

alvey
in Briz, with the distinct recollection that an early recommendation from
Condom was to reduce the number of odos.

Satya Nitta

Aug 14, 2007, 9:03:18 AM8/14/07

They're complicit in the arrangement right? So the BCCI definitely
shares the blame IMO.

Satya

Mike Holmans

Aug 14, 2007, 10:18:48 AM8/14/07

Very much so ((C) Alec the Gaffer Enterprises).

Tour itineraries are the subject of agreement between the host and
visitor boards.

The ECB has a broadcasting contract which requires seven Tests, though
how they are split between the two tourists is of no consequence from
that contract's point of view.

Historically, the ECB has thought of it as a lowish-profile 2/3-Test
series (during the school term) to be followed by a main summer
holidays feature of a 4/5 Test series. Ticket prices for the first
series are 20-25% lower than for the main one. Associated with those,
the ECB's preference is for 1 T20 and 3 50-over odos.

Ideally, then, the ECB would have preferred to have 3 Tests against WI
and 4 against India, with 3x50 and 1x20 with each.

Since the actual schedule has differed markedly from that preference,
it follows that at least one of the three parties involved (WICB, ECB
and BCCI), was not prepared to sign up to it.

It seems unlikely to me that the WICB had much in the way of clout to
make the ECB change, and since the result isn't what the ECB wanted
either, it seems only reasonable to conclude that the whip hand in the
negotiations was held by the BCCI - especially as the shape of the
tour is so similar to what the BCCI tend to propose when England tour
India.

It seems to fly in the face of reason to suggest that the BCCI
couldn't care what itinerary the ECB proposes, since the ECB would not
have proposed what we got.

Cheers,

Mike

Mohan

Aug 14, 2007, 1:28:36 PM8/14/07
"Andrew Dunford" <adunf...@artifax.net> wrote:

[this post is missing from google groups for some reason, even though
a link to it appears in the thread]
> Ok, point taken.
>
> That said, although there is no ICC requirement about reciprocal tours they
> are usually arranged that way. Not necessarily to contain identical numbers
> of matches, but negotiated as a two tour home-and-away package so that both
> countries get some of what they want. I guess it has to be that way because
> the away team has no stake.

Yes. It is usually negotiated that way on a quid-pro-quo basis because
the away team has no stake. When you send your team on an away tour
you are doing the host board a favour and naturally you expect the
other board to give you a chance to host their team in near future
(unless you are bcci dealing with bangladesh in which case you are
magnanimous enough to just keep doing them the favour without
demanding to host them in return).

> > I suspect that in their calculations, the attraction of selling 3
> > additional odi's to Indian tv audience trumped selling an additional
> > test to home audience.
>

> Perhaps so. Therefore one can assume the ECB would in an ideal world have
> preferred five Tests *and* seven odos, plus a Twenty 20 or two, but the BCCI
> wouldn't want to be committed to such a long tour.

Exactly. But they would only have been extremely happy to agree to a
shorter tour. If ECB had proposed a 4th Test starting this week
(17th-21st) followed by a 3 odi series (say, 26th, 29th and 1st), thus
releasing the Indian team a week before what the current schedule
does, then bcci would have had a precious extra week between end of
this tour and start of Twenty20 world cup during which they could have
squeezed in their own odi series against Pakistan or Australia in some
offshore location. Only a fool will think that bcci would miss out on
such an opportunity and instead insist on giving ECB an additional
week to milk the Indian team.

Mohan

Mohan

Aug 14, 2007, 1:49:59 PM8/14/07

See my responses to Andrew earlier in the thread.

Mohan

Aug 15, 2007, 2:39:47 AM8/15/07
On Aug 14, 7:18 pm, Mike Holmans <m...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > They're complicit in the arrangement right? So the BCCI definitely
> > shares the blame IMO.
>
> Very much so ((C) Alec the Gaffer Enterprises).
>
> Tour itineraries are the subject of agreement between the host and
> visitor boards.
>
> The ECB has a broadcasting contract which requires seven Tests, though
> how they are split between the two tourists is of no consequence from
> that contract's point of view.
>
> Historically, the ECB has thought of it as a lowish-profile 2/3-Test
> series (during the school term) to be followed by a main summer
> holidays feature of a 4/5 Test series. Ticket prices for the first
> series are 20-25% lower than for the main one. Associated with those,
> the ECB's preference is for 1 T20 and 3 50-over odos.

Last time India toured England in 2002, they played 7 odi's albeit as
part of a tri series. There is no evidence to suggest that ECB's
preference is for 3 50-over odos, atleast as far as India is
concerned. But perhaps, you are going to suggest that even that 2002
itinerary was done at the behest of BCCI, as was the 3 odo (with no
tests) series in 2004. But what you need to show is what incentive is
there for BCCI to insist on playing 7 odos in England? They don't gain
anything from those matches. As I wrote in another post, a 4-test, 3-
odo series finishing a week earlier than current schedule would have
been in BCCI's interest, so unless you have anything to show how bcci
benefits from a 3-test, 7-odo series *in England*, it is extremely
illogical to continue to argue that they would insist on latter over
former. Simply assuming that ECB would never have come up with such a
schedule by themselves and hence it must be bcci's handiwork is no
argument.

Mohan