Roll call 1999

Ivan Weiss

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

I recycled my Roll Call from last year, with updates. Thank you, DejaNews.

Hi. My name is Ivan Weiss and I have been on this newsgroup for about
four years now, but I have been a pro boxing junkie almost all my life.
In fact, I can tell the exact date it all began for me. It was October 27,
1951, the day after my 8th birthday. I was on my way to my 3rd-grade
class and saw a bunch of my buddies on a street corner talking excitedly.
"What's going on?" I wanted to know. "Joe Louis got knocked OUT!" one kid
said. "Who did it?" another kid asked. "Some cat named Rocky," was the
answer. It was like "God is dead."

Adults treated the subject the same way. Even though I was pretty young,
still the effect that Joe Louis had on people, well, the only thing I can
compare it to is when Kennedy was shot. It would be easy to scoff at
this, but I was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pa., where boxing was
king. In my neighborhood alone were Sugar Hart and Charley Scott, both
top 10 welterweight contenders, Sugar's little brother Cyclone, also a
good welterweight, Johnny Bang-Bang-Alford, a good club light-heavy I
went to school with, Jimmy Beecham, who fought most of the top
middleweights, and, after he quit fighting, Gil Turner, who had given Kid
Gavilan a good go for the welter title.

In the city at large it was the time of Joey Giardello, Stanley "Kitten"
Hayward, Gypsy Joe Harris, Len Matthews, George Benton, Bennie Briscoe,
Harold Johnson, and on and on. On TV there were the Monday night fights from
St. Nicholas Arena in New York. Wednesday the Pabst Blue Ribbon bouts,
mostly from Chicago Stadium. Fridays there were the Madison Square Garden
fights, and Saturdays, the cards from the Olympic in LA. Oh, what I would
give for a VCR for those days.

Since college I have lived here in Seattle WA, the boxing wasteland of
the nation. I love it here but thank goodness for cable. I am now 55 yrs
old and divorced, with a 6 year old daughter. I work as a copy editor for
the Seattle Times, where I monitor the incoming national and
international news.

I like fighters who adapt to changing situations and can change their
styles mid-fight. I like fighters who use all the fundamentals.
I look for good body work, the double jab, hooking off the jab,
hitting and getting out, head and upper body movement, moving side to
side in addition to in and out, and, most important, keeping those hands
moving and countering every move your opponent makes.

Have a great 1999. See you on RSB.

Ivan Weiss CORPORATION, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual
Vashon WA profit without individual responsibility
-- Ambrose Bierce: "The Devil's Dictionary"

Patrick Kehoe

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Name: Patrick Kehoe

Home: Victoria, British Columbia (Canada)

Years on RSB: 4.5

Favourite Fighters (Historic): Dempsey, Louis, Ray Robinson, Ezzard
Charles, Joe Frazier, Jose Napoles, Bennie Briscoe, Carlos Monzon, John
Coneth, Roberto Duran, Alexis Arguello, Miguel Canto, Carlos Palamino,
Donald Curry, Salvador Sanchez, Larry Holmes (c.1977-1984), Matthew
Hilton...

Favourite Fighters (1990ish): Terry Norris, J.C. Chavez, Holyfield,
Lewis, Gatti, Ricardo Lopez, Ike Quartey, Floyd Mayweather, Kirk
Johnson...

Notes: Am writing 2 books (trying to finish them!)... moved from
Kingston, Ontario in July, 1998 to Victoria as my wife took up a
position at the University of Victoria... didn't post much in 1998...
but am vowing to make a return Tyson would envy... still in mourning
after the Norris-Mullings mugging... and Leonard-Duran II for that
matter...

Best Boxing Memories: Ali-Frazier I Round 13 -- 2 legends throwing
punches like it was round 1 and 15 rolled into one (Aided by Don
Dunphy's magical line: "Their fighting like lightweights now!); Duran
making Leonard a man in Montreal; Monzon's mental toughness building
round by round in the second Valdez fight, Monzon's swan song; Screaming
as Billy Costello hit the floor after making Arguello look washed up;
Simply watching Larry Holmes, contender, win every round against Earnie
Shavers in their first fight... Realizing that Roberto was going to give
the Gardens and boxing a big birthday party after the second round
against highly favoured Davey Moore; watching Shawn O'Sullivan-Frank
Tate in the Olympics; Hagler-Hearns Round 1...

Worst Moments: "Down Goes Frazier!" "Down Goes Frazier!" "Down Goes
Frazier!"; "No Mas." "No Mas!"; Holmes-Tyson Round 4...

Happy New Year ALL,
Patrick Kehoe

Jim Borzell

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
Name: Jim Borzell

Home: Brentwood, NY (Home of 2x former WW Champ, James "Buddy" McGirt

Years on RSB: 3

Favorite Fighters: Lou DelValle, Monte Barrett, David Telesco, Aaron
Davis, Brian Adams and Zab Judah (All for very personal reasons);
Riddick Bowe (for emotional reasons); Roy Jones, Jr., Ricardo Lopez,
Alexis Arguello, Danny "Little Red" Lopez, Joe Frazier and Tex Cobb (All
for different reasons).

Notes: Been in the boxing game for 32 years now. Make my living from
it. (All food donations may be sent to the address above) Present titles
include Director of Boxing for Star Boxing, Inc.; General Coordinator
for Joseph DeGuardia Management; Manager of Morris Park Boxing Gym
(Bronx, NY); Timekeeper at Madison Square Garden and others; and, Animal
Trainer for Johnny Bos Magical Circus.

Best Boxing Memories: Ali-Frazier I & III, Riddick Bowe winning the HW
title (confirming a prediction that I had made when Bowe was 14), first
major fight with me at the bell -- Dela Hoya/Leija.

Worst Moment: Standing in the midst of the famous riot at MSG
(Bowe/Golota I) and taking a shot (and cut) above the eye. Became the
only timekeeper ever stopped on cuts.

Happy New Year to all,

Jim Borzell
P.S.
Don't take this RSB shit too seriously

EZRA MICHAEL L

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Name: Mike Ezra

Home: Lawrence, KS

Years on RSB: 3

Favorite Fighters: Muhammad Ali, Marvin Hagler, Aaron Pryor, Larry Holmes

Notes: Born in 1972. Currently writing my doctoral dissertation on
Muhammad Ali. Have been a boxing fan since 1979 after I watched Sugar
Ray Leonard crush Davey Green with one punch.

Best Boxing Memories: Mancini-Frias, Mike Weaver turning it around against
Carl Williams, seeing the closed circuit of Holmes-Cooney with my father,
attending Kelley-Hamed

Worst Boxing Memories: Honeyghan-Curry, Jones-Morales

Happy new year,
Mike Ezra

pa...@samerica.com

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
In article <76lnm5$pg7$1...@news.cc.ukans.edu>,

mike...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu (EZRA MICHAEL L) wrote:

> Worst Boxing Memories: Honeyghan-Curry, Jones-Morales

Care to elaborate on what was so traumatic about these fights? I am just
curious.

Cheers...pablo

Angelo Notaro

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
FAVORITE BOXERS:Vinny Pazienza,Lou Savarese,Emanuel Lucero,Lou
Devalle,Alex Garcia,John Carlo,Joe Kenna,Carl Pappalardo,Mike
Baggett,Bridgette Riley,Ray Mancini and Jimmy Timms and Ryan Wissow.

FAVORITE BOXING PEOPLE:Jonny "the legend"Bos,Kid Sharkey,Sean Fink,Lou
Fusco,Jimmy Fredricks,Ted Pagnotis,Jim Borzell,Ralph Petrillo,Angelo
Notaro,Jerry Colton and Jonny "Tex" Bos!

RSB Member 1.5 Years

I am currently involved in the pro boxing business as a manager and a
boxing agent and i am currently working on promoting my second live
entetanment show,and when im not yapping on the phone and at shows i run
a small private business in upstate NY.

Top Bouts :Gatti-Robinson1,Carlo-Spinks,Savarese-Douglas and
Bowe-Holyfield

What id like to see in 99:Shane Mosley fight Naseem Hamen(never happen!)
,Cedric Kushner vs Don KIng 1 rd 28 min long,4 Leona Brown to just once
shut the FUCK up!,4Jonny Bos to find his future wife,4 Tito Santana to
make one more come back to the wwf,4 Vinny Paz to win another world
title,4 Vinny Vechione to just be honest for an hour,4 boxingbull,ogree
and Jack Jonson to grow some balls,4 Don Steele to quit boxing and go
get his cdl license
and get a job at wal-mart driving trucks,4 Jim Borzell to show me his
private collection of pictures he took with the Ivy Supersonic girls at
his mansion in Brownsville and most of all to see 2000!Happy New year my
Paesans!

Jim Borzell

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Angelo Notaro wrote:

> 4 Jim Borzell to show me his
> private collection of pictures he took with the Ivy Supersonic girls > at
> his mansion in Brownsville

FU Chubby --- THAT ain't gonna happen!

Jim

Angelo Notaro

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Cmon shortcakes!

glie...@oxy.edu

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Name: Gregory Gliedman

Age: 28

Live: Brooklyn, NY

Occupation(s): Law student, writer

Fan since: I got the Ali playset at age 5, and was pretty much hooked by the
Ali mystique. My rabid support of boxing took a nose dive when I saw Duk Koo
Kim killed at age 12. I took a hiatus from the sport for a decade (only
watching the occassional big fight), coming back to it when my post-college
roommates went nuts over Lennox Lewis.

Active RSB poster since: early 1995

Philosophy on fights: Give me the guys that are willing to step in with
anybody and give their best to win. They don’t need to be the best fighters
in the world, all I ask is that they step out there and go for it. I’d much
rather see a boxer of middling skill who’s 8-8 lay it on the line than see
some 27-0 "superstar" cruise through a public sparring session. If the
fighter has world class skills to go along with world class pride, even
better. If I have a bias, it’s towards the boxers that aren’t supposed to
succeed, the ones that didn’t win the Olympic medals and don’t have the big
time promoter getting them soft opponents.

I’m also a big fan of boxing history, and am always interested in hearing
about "forgotten" fighters.

Biggest problems with the sport: Low medical standards that leave boxers at
an unnecessarily high risk of brain injury; inequity of power between the
athletes and the "powers that be."

Posting philosophy: Usenet is great for exchanging information, OK at
exchanging opinions and pretty crummy at everything else. At this point I try
to keep my posts as informational as possible in an attempt to keep the
signal:noise ratio up.

I stopped replying to trolls a couple of years ago, and I’ve found that I’ve
basically vanished from troll radar. It’s an approach I highly recommend.

Happy New Year All,
Greg