Rocky Marciano: Why He Remained Undefeated

Corrie Sanders Fan

Aug 3, 2009, 4:08:48 AM8/3/09

The Truth: Rocky Marciano had one of the best defense with his hard to
match crouching style. He literally could rotate his upper body
almost360 degrees and avoid punches with such ease Its no surprise he
stayed undefeated. He was also an awesome counter-puncher. The truth
is in the pudding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWnXGDPOQ8

slide

Aug 3, 2009, 10:05:31 AM8/3/09
Corrie Sanders Fan wrote:
> The Truth: Rocky Marciano had one of the best defense with his hard to
> match crouching style. He literally could rotate his upper body
> almost360 degrees

That I need to see.

Walter Mitty

Aug 3, 2009, 9:45:22 AM8/3/09
slide <dryads...@xxxxyahoo.com> writes:

The why not restore the link you snipped and go and see.

Great video BTW.

slide

Aug 3, 2009, 10:58:20 AM8/3/09

So you dimwitted twat, you saw a 360 degree upper body twist?

Loki

Aug 3, 2009, 10:01:35 AM8/3/09
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:45:22 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Here is the video. In it he rotates his body close to 90 degrees.
Nowhere near the 360 degrees claimed in the original post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWnXGDPOQ8

Loki

Change is good. You go first.

Walter Mitty

Aug 3, 2009, 10:42:39 AM8/3/09
slide <dryads...@xxxxyahoo.com> writes:

No. Why do you ask?

Whoever claimed he could manage a 360 degree turn? No one.

Try reading.

The key word is "almost" and clearly in a slightly exaggerated phrase.

Walter Mitty

Aug 3, 2009, 10:44:14 AM8/3/09
Loki <cubby...@aol.com> writes:

> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:45:22 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>slide <dryads...@xxxxyahoo.com> writes:

>>> That I need to see.
>>>

>>The why not restore the link you snipped and go and see.
>>
>>Great video BTW.
>
> Here is the video. In it he rotates his body close to 90 degrees.
> Nowhere near the 360 degrees claimed in the original post.

I know. I watched the video. I suggested slide do the same. But clearly
the claim was exaggerated. He did however have the ability to turn a LOT
compared to many. And this is the crux.

ne...@millions.com

Aug 3, 2009, 3:16:45 PM8/3/09

Here we go again! All right regulars of RSB, react! ;D

DCI

Walter Mitty

Aug 3, 2009, 4:08:10 PM8/3/09
ne...@millions.com writes:

A great video. The Rock has skills alright.

Baldoni

Aug 3, 2009, 4:29:56 PM8/3/09

I reckon I could manage an 1/8 of a turn right now.

--
Count Baldoni

In hoc signo vinces

Walter Mitty

Aug 3, 2009, 5:15:47 PM8/3/09
Baldoni <Baldo...@googlemail.com> writes:

> Walter Mitty wrote :
>> slide <dryads...@xxxxyahoo.com> writes:

>>> So you dimwitted twat, you saw a 360 degree upper body twist?
>>>

>> No. Why do you ask?
>>
>> Whoever claimed he could manage a 360 degree turn? No one.
>>
>> Try reading.
>>
>> The key word is "almost" and clearly in a slightly exaggerated phrase.
>
> I reckon I could manage an 1/8 of a turn right now.

And then only if you smelled a pie behind you :-;

slide

Aug 3, 2009, 6:46:19 PM8/3/09

Not compared to YOUR ability to swivel your head around a full 360 degrees.

Loki

Aug 3, 2009, 7:35:29 PM8/3/09
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:42:39 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>slide <dryads...@xxxxyahoo.com> writes:

90 degrees is not "literally almost 360 degrees" any more than a
quarter is "literally almost a dollar."

Loki

To support our men and women overseas
who may not be getting packages from home,
you can get some ideas as to how to do so at:
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm

It is a non profit, volunteer run organization.

I encourage everyone to check it out,
respond from the heart, and pass it
along to anyone you think may want
to remember our overseas military personnel,
throughout the year.

Walter Mitty

Aug 3, 2009, 7:49:23 PM8/3/09
Loki <cubby...@aol.com> writes:

> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:42:39 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>slide <dryads...@xxxxyahoo.com> writes:

>>> So you dimwitted twat, you saw a 360 degree upper body twist?
>>>

>>No. Why do you ask?
>>
>>Whoever claimed he could manage a 360 degree turn? No one.
>>
>>Try reading.
>>
>>The key word is "almost" and clearly in a slightly exaggerated phrase.
>
> 90 degrees is not "literally almost 360 degrees" any more than a
> quarter is "literally almost a dollar."
>

> Loki

Yes I know. Did you really think I thought otherwise? The POINT is that
he clipped the link and acted deliberately hostile to what was clearly
an exaggerated description of Rocky's abilities.

If you add "-- " before the junk below peoples news readers can clip it
on reply and not be spammed with your political views.

Loki

Aug 3, 2009, 8:28:13 PM8/3/09
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 01:49:23 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitt...@gmail.com>
wrote:

When one uses the word "literally" are they not saying that what
follows is NOT an exaggeration?

>If you add "-- " before the junk below peoples news readers can clip it
>on reply and not be spammed with your political views.

Exactly what political views are you referring to? The ones in which
(as below) I indicate a way that people can volunteer to act in a
charitable way towards the men and women serving our country?

I literally don't give a damn if they bother you.

mwhaught

Aug 3, 2009, 10:23:41 PM8/3/09

What's the big deal, Donn? In that video, I saw Rocky rotate his body 90
degrees four times. What does that add up to?

-mwh

_____________________________________________________________________�

Message has been deleted

Corrie Sanders Fan

Aug 4, 2009, 2:04:20 AM8/4/09

rotate around the punches - bobbing and weaving moving the head down
and up.

ne...@millions.com

Aug 4, 2009, 2:58:18 AM8/4/09
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 19:23:41 -0700, "mwhaught" <mwha...@excite.com>
wrote:

>On Aug 3 2009 3:16 PM, never wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:08:48 -0700 (PDT), Corrie Sanders Fan
>> <simpleth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >The Truth: Rocky Marciano had one of the best defense with his hard to
>> >match crouching style. He literally could rotate his upper body
>> >almost360 degrees and avoid punches with such ease Its no surprise he
>> >stayed undefeated. He was also an awesome counter-puncher. The truth
>> >is in the pudding.
>> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWnXGDPOQ8
>>
>> Here we go again! All right regulars of RSB, react! ;D
>>
>> DCI
>
>What's the big deal, Donn? In that video, I saw Rocky rotate his body 90
>degrees four times. What does that add up to?
>
> -mwh

Mike, I am referring to the upcoming stuff where sides are taken and
the "discussions" deteriorate into a loudness of nonsense.

Your question: "What does that add up to?" THe man for his size could
hit like hell! The rotating style added high power torque and leverage
to his punching. And his record seems to bear that out.

DCI

Walter Mitty

Aug 4, 2009, 4:59:17 AM8/4/09
ne...@millions.com writes:

Agreed. He was a lot more skilled and powerful than a lot of people
realise. You need to watch some in slow motion to see the brilliance of
his technique.

D. Flynn

Aug 4, 2009, 7:57:44 AM8/4/09
On Aug 4, 2:58 am, ne...@millions.com wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 19:23:41 -0700, "mwhaught" <mwhau...@excite.com>

> wrote:
>

> >On Aug 3 2009 3:16 PM, never wrote:

> >> Here we go again! All right regulars of RSB, react! ;D
>
> >> DCI
>
> >What's the big deal, Donn? In that video, I saw Rocky rotate his body 90
> >degrees four times. What does that add up to?
>
> >     -mwh
>
> Mike, I am referring to the upcoming stuff where sides are taken and
> the "discussions" deteriorate into a loudness of nonsense.

Donn, the same thought crossed my mind. Discussions of the Rock always
seem to generate lots of posts before they inevitably deteriorate into
acrimony.

> Your question: "What does that add up to?" THe man for his size could
> hit like hell! The rotating style added high power torque and leverage
> to his punching. And his record seems to bear that out.
>

> DCI- Hide quoted text -

D. Flynn

Aug 4, 2009, 8:06:38 AM8/4/09
On Aug 4, 4:59 am, Walter Mitty <mitti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ne...@millions.com writes:
> > On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 19:23:41 -0700, "mwhaught" <mwhau...@excite.com>
> his technique.- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely. I recall reading Walcott and Ali commenting on how
surprised they were that he was so so hard to hit.

They'd considered him to be a crude caveman but if you watch him in
slo-mo you see some nice skills on display.

ne...@millions.com

Aug 4, 2009, 1:43:13 PM8/4/09
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 05:06:38 -0700 (PDT), "D. Flynn" <gu...@msn.com>
wrote:

The man had no fear! His intent and focus came from very clear
thinking. There are those fighters who possess that uncanny
ability. George Foreman, in his second time around, had it. The
ability to foresee and anticipate the opponent is rare, but it
does exist.

I'll bet that the RSB regulars can add to the list of those fighters
who had those skills - generating power - with absolutely no fear and
good anticipation, as in when to attack and when to defend. It all
happens in nano-seconds.

Enjoy.

DCI

mwhaught

Aug 4, 2009, 2:17:54 PM8/4/09

I know. Just joshing here. I had an old friend who once said my sarcasm
was so dry that you could shake it into a martini. ;-)

-mwh

-------�

mwhaught

Aug 4, 2009, 2:15:53 PM8/4/09
On Aug 4 2009 1:43 PM, never wrote:

> The man had no fear! His intent and focus came from very clear
> thinking. There are those fighters who possess that uncanny
> ability. George Foreman, in his second time around, had it. The
> ability to foresee and anticipate the opponent is rare, but it
> does exist.
>
> I'll bet that the RSB regulars can add to the list of those fighters
> who had those skills - generating power - with absolutely no fear and
> good anticipation, as in when to attack and when to defend. It all
> happens in nano-seconds.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> DCI

In my lifetime...At his best, Marvin Hagler had it. Julio Cesar Chavez
had it. Probably not one that most would pick, but I'd say that Larry
Holmes had it.

-mwh

-----�

ne...@millions.com

Aug 4, 2009, 3:41:11 PM8/4/09
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:17:54 -0700, "mwhaught" <mwha...@excite.com>
wrote:

;D

DCI

Pastor Marc

Aug 5, 2009, 2:56:18 PM8/5/09

Rocky had skills. And he did manage to duck some punches and block a
few on occasion with body oparts other than his face. But let's not
make him into the heavyweight Willie Pep just yet. Those cuts and
bruises and gashes and split nose that he had during his career had to
coem from somewhere. Using the old Title Bout numbers, I would give
his defense a +2, with 0 being average and -6 being the best and +6
being the worst.

PM

Mr.Will

Aug 5, 2009, 5:26:40 PM8/5/09

"Walter Mitty" <mitt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hahaha - there are two key words, the other being "literally". Somone can
"literally almost" do something. So it wasnt literally at all was it.
No matter, its a good video.

Mr.Will

ne...@millions.com

Aug 5, 2009, 6:19:24 PM8/5/09
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:26:40 +0100, "Mr.Will" <wi...@mr-will.co.uk>
wrote:

Well, nearly literally almost . . . ;D

DCI

Walter Mitty

Aug 6, 2009, 12:55:03 AM8/6/09
Pastor Marc <potter...@charter.net> writes:

> On Aug 3, 3:08�pm, Walter Mitty <mitti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ne...@millions.com writes:

>> > Here we go again! All right regulars of RSB, react! ;D
>>
>> > DCI
>>
>> A great video. The Rock has skills alright.
>
> Rocky had skills. And he did manage to duck some punches and block a
> few on occasion with body oparts other than his face. But let's not
> make him into the heavyweight Willie Pep just yet. Those cuts and
> bruises and gashes and split nose that he had during his career had to
> coem from somewhere.

Yup. It's called boxing.

And?

Corrie Sanders Fan

Aug 6, 2009, 1:00:00 AM8/6/09
On Aug 5, 2:56 pm, Pastor Marc <potterpas...@charter.net> wrote:
Using the old Title Bout numbers, I would give

>But let's not
>make him into the heavyweight Willie Pep just yet. Those cuts and
>bruises and gashes and split nose that he had during his career had to
>coem from somewhere.

They have less to do with defense and more to do with his aggressive/
swarming style.

> his defense a +2, with 0 being average and -6 being the best and +6
> being the worst.
>
> PM

His defense was EXCELLENT. Few fighters can get away with being as
aggressive and difficult to hit at the same time like he was.

ne...@millions.com

Aug 6, 2009, 3:21:12 AM8/6/09

Plus, on a few occasions he proved himself to one tough SOB.

I had the good fortune to meet Rocky when he was on a tour in 1952,
'53. He was looking for opponents. He found one who willing to climb
into to the ring. Freddie Beshore stood up to be counted.

When Freddie came home from back east, he was black and blue all over
his body and arms and still swollen around the eyes and cheeks. When
asked what it was like, he said he had been hurt so much by nearly
every punch of Marciano. And Beshore was no feint hearted fighter.

Early on, Rocky was listed at 5'11". Much later he was listed at
5'10". I stood next to him and was totally surprised because he didn't
appear to more than 5'9". But he was thick. He had this high pitched
voice that added more to the incongruities of the man. But most
outstanding in my memory of him, he was a gentleman and enjoyed the
banter with those present, other fighters and trainers and reporters
from the LA Times, Herald Examiner and Daily News

He was something very special for those times.

DCI

D. Flynn

Aug 6, 2009, 8:38:13 PM8/6/09
On Aug 5, 2:56 pm, Pastor Marc <potterpas...@charter.net> wrote:
> PM- Hide quoted text -

The split nose was due to Ezzard Charles' elbow (unintentional).

IIRC his face was cut in only seven or so of his 49 bouts.

mwhaught

Aug 7, 2009, 12:31:58 AM8/7/09

One more. Mike McCallum had it. It is a shame that the megafights eluded
him in his prime.

-mwh

______________________________________________________________________�

dick gries

Aug 13, 2009, 2:08:50 AM8/13/09

"Corrie Sanders Fan" <simpleth...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> The Truth: Rocky Marciano had one of the best defense with his hard to
> match crouching style. He literally could rotate his upper body
> almost360 degrees and avoid punches with such ease Its no surprise he
> stayed undefeated. He was also an awesome counter-puncher. The truth
> is in the pudding.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BWnXGDPOQ8

Watching your video convinced me,the Rock had some great defense.

dick gries

Aug 13, 2009, 2:51:57 AM8/13/09

<ne...@millions.com> wrote in message

It sure does 49-0-0 with 43 K.O.s Alot better than Ali!!

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 16, 2009, 1:22:32 AM8/16/09
> DCI- Hide quoted text -

++ Donn you might recall I am no Rocky fan... but gracious, he fought
49 times as a professional including at the world championship level
and never lost... that says a lot about him right there... since no
one had done it before or since, well, ya gotta give the man his
due... even if some of those guys were nearing social security age...
I digress however... :)) a true legend of the sport...

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 16, 2009, 1:23:29 AM8/16/09

++ Monzon had it Mike :)))

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 16, 2009, 1:25:14 AM8/16/09
> DCI- Hide quoted text -

++ And he loved his blondes and money in the hand :))

Walter Mitty

Aug 16, 2009, 1:48:41 AM8/16/09
Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net> writes:

Except for the fact that nothing of what you say is remotely true when
compared to modern fighters I would agree! He fought who was there.

--
Pamcakes : "Can't you sleep?"
Gaylord Focker: "Err no, I was running over the answers I gave to your father when he put me through a polygraph test".

Loki

Aug 16, 2009, 8:44:47 AM8/16/09

Add Roberto Duran to the list.

Loki

Aug 16, 2009, 8:52:04 AM8/16/09

In all fairness though, apart from Rex Layne he didn't really fight
any top contenders until his 40th fight. Fighters like Ali, Fraizer,
Tyson, Holmes, etc. started fighting top tier opposition much earlier
in their careers.

ne...@millions.com

Aug 16, 2009, 12:39:00 PM8/16/09
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:22:32 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Kehoe
<pke...@telus.net> wrote:

Overheard a upcoming heavyweight in the Moose gym in Los Angeles about
fighting Rocky: "I'd fight him in a minute!" His trainers responded:
"that about all you'd get."

DCI

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 16, 2009, 9:23:34 PM8/16/09
> in their careers.- Hide quoted text -

++ I'm not a Rocky fan... anyone who's been around here for over
decade knows that :)

But, ya gotta give him credit for keeping his concentration and
discipline and never giving into anyone/any circumstance...

Patrick Kehoe

Aug 16, 2009, 9:24:21 PM8/16/09

++ Classic Donn!

Hope you are well!