Adrian White Returns to Football

Paul Dalrymple

Jul 31, 2001, 10:43:39 AM7/31/01
Former DB pursues coaching

Tuesday, July 31, 2001

By VINNY DiTRANI
Staff Writer, Bergen Record

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Adrian White sees old-timers such as Lomas Brown and Howard
Cross still competing and knows that at age 37, he can remain active. For
him, however, that doesn't mean playing football. It means boxing.

However, the Giants' second-round draft pick from 1987 has hit the pause
button on his ring career and has returned to his first love, the gridiron.
He is one of four intern coaches who have joined the team for training camp
at the University at Albany.

"Football is my life," White said Monday. "I have some fights on the back
burner but right now I'm concentrating on coaching. I'm thankful for the
Giants giving me this opportunity."

White coached the defensive backfield for the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe this
past spring, and previously coached at Southern Illinois University. The
former Florida strong safety, who earned his masters in education at FDU,
thinks the lineage of coaches with whom he's been associated has drawn him
to the profession.

"With the Giants there were Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells, as well as Tom
Coughlin and Romeo Crennel and coach [Jim] Fassel," he said as he began
listing the coaches who have touched him. "In Green Bay there were Mike
Holmgren, Ray Rhodes, and Dick Jauron. And in college Zaven Yaralian. With
all those, it would be hard to mess this up.

"I didn't choose coaching, it chose me."

White played with the Giants from 1987 through 1990 before bouncing around
the league for another few years. He started his boxing vocation in 1995. "I
know other NFL players have tried it [most famous being Dallas defensive end
Too Tall Jones] but I wanted to be the first football player to learn the
sport," he said. "Everyone else tried to do it overnight. You can't."

He last boxed in Virginia, where he said he had a couple of fights to help
build his record. Against guys off the street? "Close to it," he replied
with a laugh. He did not want to divulge his record in the heavyweight
division, but he has at least 10 wins.

When asked how long he would continue his boxing career, White said: "As
long as I think my skills are there, and as long as I can still count up to
10. I may not be big enough [for the heavyweight division] but like
[Evander] Holyfield, I've got the heart and desire."

Michael Middleton

Jul 31, 2001, 1:22:26 PM7/31/01
>He last boxed in Virginia, where he said he had a couple of fights to help
>build his record. Against guys off the street? "Close to it," he replied
>with a laugh. He did not want to divulge his record in the heavyweight
>division, but he has at least 10 wins.

He is full of shit, he has 2 wins and 3 losses. His last two fights were in
Virginia though, he knocked some guy out in one round then got stopped in 3 by
Orion Sistrunk.

MIKE
"The harder you train in the gym the less you bleed in the ring"

Paul Dalrymple

Jul 31, 2001, 6:44:51 PM7/31/01
An article on Adrian White claimed:

> >He last boxed in Virginia, where he said he had a couple of fights to
> >help
> >build his record. Against guys off the street? "Close to it," he replied
> >with a laugh. He did not want to divulge his record in the heavyweight
> >division, but he has at least 10 wins.

Michael Middleton replied:

> He is full of shit, he has 2 wins and 3 losses. His last two fights were
> in
> Virginia though, he knocked some guy out in one round then got
> stopped in 3 by Orion Sistrunk.

Aha! :) I was hoping you or someone else would know the real story.
Ten wins in the HW division? If it were true, I'm sure we would have
heard about him more often! (Tomato cans or not- at least the author
admitted Adrian was padding/building his record)

Ozruss2

Jul 31, 2001, 10:09:15 PM7/31/01
i seen him lose his pro debut in madison square garden in nyc a few years back

Jeff Duval

Aug 1, 2001, 1:14:08 AM8/1/01
On 31 Jul 2001 17:22:26 GMT, bgmid...@aol.com ( Michael Middleton)
wrote:

>>He last boxed in Virginia, where he said he had a couple of fights to help
>>build his record. Against guys off the street? "Close to it," he replied
>>with a laugh. He did not want to divulge his record in the heavyweight
>>division, but he has at least 10 wins.
>
>He is full of shit, he has 2 wins and 3 losses. His last two fights were in
>Virginia though, he knocked some guy out in one round then got stopped in 3 by
>Orion Sistrunk.
>
>MIKE

Yeah, if he gets any worse, he'll be hand picked
as an opponent for a bum like Audley Harrison's first
fight.

gary nichols

Jul 31, 2001, 10:23:51 PM7/31/01

Jeff Duval <ja...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

well then, why don't you fight Harrison, tough guy?

Gary