If the NFL turned into the NBA....

s_knight8

Jun 11, 2003, 11:06:08 AM6/11/03
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/tmq/030610.html

Thanks be to the football gods that the NFL does not become the NBA!
There is a reason why the National Football League is America's No. 1
sport by every measure -- attendance, ratings, merchandising -- as the
once-hot NBA continues its downward slip-slide in popularity. The
reason is the decline of NBA play, which every season seems to become
more simplified, less coordinated and more immature. Every year the
NBA becomes less mature by about one tree-ring. During the
Magic-Bird-MJ Golden Age, it was a sport of mental 30-year-olds, then
29-year-olds, then 28-year-olds and so on. Currently the NBA is a
sport of mental 19-year-olds.

If the NFL turned into the NBA, there would be no plays on offense; 11
guys would just run around doing whatever they felt like, calling for
the ball. Each person who actually got the ball would immediately
throw a 60-yard pass, then turn to the officials to scream for a foul.
Players would refuse to speak to each other, and cover their ears when
coaches spoke. Players would put tattoos on their helmets. Fans would
start leaving while the game was still on the line, as the home fans
did Sunday night in the Meadowlands. With a minute remaining and the
Nets down three, there were already hundreds of empty seats throughout
Continental Airlines Arena, while those moving up the aisles to exit
blocked the view of those staying for the quaint reason of finding out
who wins. Home fans streaming out in the final minute of a close
championship game. Ye gods. You've got to have a pretty troubled sport
to achieve that. Welcome to the NBA.

But don't take my word for it, take the people's plebiscite. NBA
attendance is down, while NFL attendance sets a new record almost
annually. NBA ratings have fallen almost 45 percent in the past
decade, while NFL ratings remain tops in sports and have been rising
mildly in recent years. For a decade the quality of the NBA product
has been going downhill. The NBA's attitude is that fans are too
stupid to notice. But fans know about the decline and are paying
steadily less attention. Please, oh football gods, don't let this
spread to the NFL!

Peter L

Jun 11, 2003, 12:50:37 PM6/11/03
I thought Nascar is the no. 1 sport by every measure.

"s_knight8" <s_kn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Greg Sumner

Jun 11, 2003, 1:11:29 PM6/11/03

"Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote ...

NASCAR is not a sport it's a race. Big difference.

GS.

Peter L

Jun 11, 2003, 1:33:12 PM6/11/03

"Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote ...
>
> NASCAR is not a sport it's a race. Big difference.

OK, then the Boston Marathon is not a sport it's a race?

Jason

Jun 11, 2003, 1:59:15 PM6/11/03
Don't the brain dead Jr fans leave when he has trouble?

Charles Nicklow

Jun 11, 2003, 3:19:11 PM6/11/03
Of course, I hate what the NFL has become - the salary cap nightmare, where
no matter what you do, you can't keep teams together and competetive for
more than a couple of years. There is no sense of continuity in professional
football. I guess this forced level of parity is what the NFL wants and
everything, but the reality is that while the talent has spread out through
the NFL, the best teams today are nothing compared to the dynasties of the
past. By the time a team gets really good, it has to be broken up because of
the salary cap. Within two years of going to a Super Bowl, almost every team
now struggles to even have a winning record. Look at the teams from the 2002
Superbowl - the Pats and Rams didn't even make the playoffs last year.

Jason Green

Jun 11, 2003, 3:29:42 PM6/11/03
"Charles Nicklow" <nic...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Good reasons though - the Patriots were stupid to think that getting rid of
Bledsoe was the right thing to do, and the Rams were mutilated by injuries. The
Rams will be back in the hunt this year, but the Pats...sorry Pat fans.

[g]

Dennis

Jun 11, 2003, 5:16:16 PM6/11/03
"Charles Nicklow" <nic...@mindspring.com> startled small woodland
creatures when they said:

then please to be explaining the record of the cowpokers... before
switzer... yep they got a lot and they paid dearly for it. Actually I
prefer parity in the league w/out it you get the tiers of MLB and that
sucks even worse if you ain't a yankees or dodgers fan...

"education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance" --Will Durant
"people who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to " Jerry Seinfeld
"if we don't have a sense of humor, we can't have a sense of perspective --Wayne Thiboux

Dennis

Jun 11, 2003, 5:19:05 PM6/11/03
"Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> startled small woodland creatures
when they said:

>"Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote ...
>>
>> NASCAR is not a sport it's a race. Big difference.
>>

>OK, then the Boston Marathon is not a sport it's a race?

dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
running a Marathon. I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a
Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
could finish...

>> GS.
>>
>> > I thought Nascar is the no. 1 sport by every measure.

"education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance" --Will Durant

Peter L

Jun 11, 2003, 5:47:49 PM6/11/03

"Dennis" <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> startled small woodland creatures
> when they said:
>

> >"Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote ...
> >>
> >> NASCAR is not a sport it's a race. Big difference.
> >>

> >OK, then the Boston Marathon is not a sport it's a race?
> >

> dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
> running a Marathon. I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a
> Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
> could finish...

Obviously don't know anything about car racing. How about letting a runner
try to steer a race car around the track? At lease Gordon isn't going to
die from running.

Dennis

Jun 11, 2003, 5:52:08 PM6/11/03
when they said:

>"Dennis" <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> startled small woodland creatures
>> when they said:
>>

>> >"Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> >OK, then the Boston Marathon is not a sport it's a race?
>> >

>> dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
>> running a Marathon. I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a
>> Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
>> could finish...
>>

>Obviously don't know anything about car racing. How about letting a runner
>try to steer a race car around the track? At lease Gordon isn't going to
>die from running.

nope but I won't call him an Athelete either... thus it's not a
Sport...

TrojanFamilyMan

Jun 11, 2003, 6:13:34 PM6/11/03
"Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Dennis" <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> startled small woodland creatures
>> when they said:

>> >"Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> >OK, then the Boston Marathon is not a sport it's a race?
>>
>> dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
>> running a Marathon. I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a
>> Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
>> could finish...
>
> Obviously don't know anything about car racing. How about letting a
> runner try to steer a race car around the track? At lease Gordon
> isn't going to die from running.

Running : Marathon :: Driving : NASCAR Race

Both the runner and the driver are participating in a race, both endure
physical stresses, but only one of them can unquestionably be called an
athlete.

And while deaths from running in Marathons are hardly unheard of, no
one's ever died from driving in a NASCAR race. (Crashing, yes, but not
driving.)

-- TFM --

gk1

Jun 11, 2003, 6:35:46 PM6/11/03
"Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bc7p4q$g0mrd$1...@ID-110472.news.dfncis.de>...

> "Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote ...
> >
> > NASCAR is not a sport it's a race. Big difference.
>
> OK, then the Boston Marathon is not a sport it's a race?

yes. if you are a paraplegic and ride a golf cart.

sorry, i just don't get the idea of "motorsports". you sit there and
a machine does all the work. yes, it takes coordination, and not
moving or being able to piss for hours can be demanding. if that is a
sport, then 5-hour competitive Halo (Xbox) marathon players are
athletes.

but hey, i'm don't think golf is a sport (it's a game, like pool or
croquet, only with a tougher skillset).

Leonard

Jun 11, 2003, 6:42:27 PM6/11/03

> "Charles Nicklow" <nic...@mindspring.com> startled small woodland
> creatures when they said:
>
> >Of course, I hate what the NFL has become - the salary cap nightmare,
where
> >no matter what you do, you can't keep teams together and competetive for
> >more than a couple of years. There is no sense of continuity in
professional
> >football. I guess this forced level of parity is what the NFL wants and
> >everything, but the reality is that while the talent has spread out
through
> >the NFL, the best teams today are nothing compared to the dynasties of
the
> >past. By the time a team gets really good, it has to be broken up because
of
> >the salary cap. Within two years of going to a Super Bowl, almost every
team
> >now struggles to even have a winning record. Look at the teams from the
2002
> >Superbowl - the Pats and Rams didn't even make the playoffs last year.
> >

> then please to be explaining the record of the cowpokers... before
> switzer... yep they got a lot and they paid dearly for it. Actually I
> prefer parity in the league w/out it you get the tiers of MLB and that
> sucks even worse if you ain't a yankees or dodgers fan...

Dodgers first tier??

corey

Jun 11, 2003, 7:27:00 PM6/11/03
Dodgers first tier??

yeah i couldnt figure that one out either

Corey

Dennis

Jun 11, 2003, 8:30:15 PM6/11/03
"corey" <1frsma...@attbi.com> startled small woodland creatures
when they said:

hell when you root for the Brewers... a winning record = first tier
:-)

william lynch

Jun 12, 2003, 12:33:33 AM6/12/03
in article bc7vbg$r1$1...@slb0.atl.mindspring.net, Charles Nicklow at
nic...@mindspring.com wrote on 6/11/03 12:19 PM:

On the other hand both the NFL and NBA are richer than their
wildest dreams. The NHL and MLB, who don't have a cap structure,
are talking about teams either going bankrupt or being contracted,
or both.

Alson Wong

Jun 12, 2003, 1:33:48 AM6/12/03
"gk1" <g...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> yes. if you are a paraplegic and ride a golf cart.
>
> sorry, i just don't get the idea of "motorsports". you sit there and
> a machine does all the work. yes, it takes coordination, and not
> moving or being able to piss for hours can be demanding. if that is a
> sport, then 5-hour competitive Halo (Xbox) marathon players are
> athletes.
>
> but hey, i'm don't think golf is a sport (it's a game, like pool or
> croquet, only with a tougher skillset).

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and
mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
-- Ernest Hemingway

Dennis

Jun 12, 2003, 4:28:16 AM6/12/03
"Alson Wong" <also...@earthlink.net.block> startled small woodland
creatures when they said:

uhm yeah.... right... quoting dead drunk authors isn't gonna help your
case any...

igor eduardo küpfer

Jun 12, 2003, 10:58:55 AM6/12/03
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 08:28:16 GMT, Dennis <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Alson Wong" <also...@earthlink.net.block> startled small woodland
>creatures when they said:
>
>>"gk1" <g...@lycos.com> wrote in message
>>> yes. if you are a paraplegic and ride a golf cart.
>>>
>>> sorry, i just don't get the idea of "motorsports". you sit there and
>>> a machine does all the work. yes, it takes coordination, and not
>>> moving or being able to piss for hours can be demanding. if that is a
>>> sport, then 5-hour competitive Halo (Xbox) marathon players are
>>> athletes.
>>>
>>> but hey, i'm don't think golf is a sport (it's a game, like pool or
>>> croquet, only with a tougher skillset).
>>
>>"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and
>>mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
>>-- Ernest Hemingway
>>
>uhm yeah.... right... quoting dead drunk authors isn't gonna help your
>case any...

"Critics are like eunuchs in a harem. They're there every night, they see
it done every night, they see how it should be done every night, but
they can't do it themselves." — Brendan Behan

--

best,
ed

Branden Wolner

Jun 12, 2003, 10:55:21 AM6/12/03
in article BB0D5044.29C1%x@y.z, william lynch at x@y.z wrote on 6/12/03
12:33 AM:

The difference here is that NHL teams are really in financial trouble while
MLB teams are simply lying in order to try and contain player salaries in
the next CBA. Until an MLB team actually folds (or even moves), don't
believe Bud the Liar.

lein

Jun 12, 2003, 1:55:49 PM6/12/03
Dennis <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<i47fevcrgufqbm3va...@4ax.com>...

> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> startled small woodland creatures
> when they said:
>

> >"Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote ...
> >>
> >> NASCAR is not a sport it's a race. Big difference.
> >>

> >OK, then the Boston Marathon is not a sport it's a race?
> >

> dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
> running a Marathon. I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a
> Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
> could finish...

Simply put, NASCAR is a sport, the NBA isn't.

--
John Leinaweaver

Dennis Juds

Jun 12, 2003, 2:26:20 PM6/12/03
boomer_...@my-deja.com (lein) wrote in

hmmmm logic seems to escape you?

put jeff gordon on the court with the NBA guys that are under 6'0 and see
if he can keep up...

Dennis Juds

Jun 12, 2003, 2:31:25 PM6/12/03
igor eduardo küpfer <str...@example.com> wrote in

> but they can't do it themselves." — Brendan Behan

ahhh more snippets of wisdom from a book of quatations...

"opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and yours stinks" --
Pick a drill seargeant/Company Commander.

"Education is the progressive study of our own Ignorance" Will Durant.

yeah I like racing, but it ain't a sport.

Charles Nicklow

Jun 12, 2003, 4:10:34 PM6/12/03

"Dennis" <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Charles Nicklow" <nic...@mindspring.com> startled small woodland
> creatures when they said:
>
> >Of course, I hate what the NFL has become - the salary cap nightmare,
where
> >no matter what you do, you can't keep teams together and competetive for
> >more than a couple of years. There is no sense of continuity in
professional
> >football. I guess this forced level of parity is what the NFL wants and
> >everything, but the reality is that while the talent has spread out
through
> >the NFL, the best teams today are nothing compared to the dynasties of
the
> >past. By the time a team gets really good, it has to be broken up because
of
> >the salary cap. Within two years of going to a Super Bowl, almost every
team
> >now struggles to even have a winning record. Look at the teams from the
2002
> >Superbowl - the Pats and Rams didn't even make the playoffs last year.
> >

> then please to be explaining the record of the cowpokers... before
> switzer... yep they got a lot and they paid dearly for it. Actually I
> prefer parity in the league w/out it you get the tiers of MLB and that
> sucks even worse if you ain't a yankees or dodgers fan...

Nope, not buying it - the Yankees are an extreme, and a great example about
what doesn't work when you don't have a salary cap, but teams can and do win
in baseball without a big budget. Other than the Yankees, the next best team
in the AL the last five years has been the Oakland A's, and they are small
market team with a small market budget. The Twins and Expos have had some
measure of success over the last two years, too, playing in small markets
with very limited budgets. It's a challenge to pull it off, but in baseball
and basketball, it is less about how much money you spend and more about how
you spend it. In football the cap is the bottom line, regardless of talent,
and that makes it impossible to hold teams together, which has evened the
field but lowered the caliber of play. Over course, that has also been
lowered in the NBA, but that has more to do with early entry players coming
in out of high school or after a year of college.

Charles Nicklow

Jun 12, 2003, 4:23:23 PM6/12/03

"Greg Sumner" <gmons...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Peter L" <pete...@hotmail.com> wrote ...
>
> NASCAR is not a sport it's a race. Big difference.

I hear this kind of stuff all the time. Does a game have to be played by
athletes to be considered a sport? Does it have to be a game to be a sport,
or is just doing an activity that requires athleticism enough?

There are no clearly drawn lines for these definitions, and that's why these
arguments are always so stupid and meaningless. One side says NASCAR isn't a
sport. The other side says what about running. The other side says that
drivers aren't athletes. The other side brings out golf and bowling.

This side says these arguments are pointless, that everybody should get over
the fact that NASCAR, IHRA, bowling, golf, marathons, badminton, and curling
all fall into the sports world whether or not they are sports.

Toby Drake

Jun 12, 2003, 4:36:53 PM6/12/03
Charles Nicklow <nic...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

exactly, just like the National Spelling Bee contest

Toby
Enid, OK

Laurance

Jun 13, 2003, 12:27:47 AM6/13/03

"Alson Wong" <also...@earthlink.net.block> wrote in message

Yes, I own a GameFisher", And I would assure Mariel that I'm pretty good at
another sport too, if she's game.

Otherwise, Hemingway was, by far, one of the greatest big game sportsman,
who ever lived.

That's an interesting quote, but still, an opinion and an inaccurate one, at
that!

Laurance

TomH

Jun 13, 2003, 1:03:50 PM6/13/03

"Alson Wong" <also...@earthlink.net.block> wrote in message
Hemingway sure was a arrogant self centered A-hole. Anybody that thinks
killing and
torturing helpless animals is a sport obviously was compensating for his
own
lack of manhood. A sport is not one where you have all the advantages and
is played
against an animal that doesn't know what's going and has little or no
chance of
winning.

-Tom

Jason Green

Jun 13, 2003, 4:11:31 PM6/13/03
"TomH" <tlh...@Nospamotmail.com> wrote in message

Different times, different values. Doesn't make what you said untrue though.

[g]

> -Tom

Laurance

Jun 14, 2003, 11:20:02 AM6/14/03

"TomH" <tlh...@Nospamotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Alson Wong" <also...@earthlink.net.block> wrote in message
> > "gk1" <g...@lycos.com> wrote in message
> > > yes. if you are a paraplegic and ride a golf cart.
> > >
> > > sorry, i just don't get the idea of "motorsports". you sit there and
> > > a machine does all the work. yes, it takes coordination, and not
> > > moving or being able to piss for hours can be demanding. if that is a
> > > sport, then 5-hour competitive Halo (Xbox) marathon players are
> > > athletes.
> > >
> > > but hey, i'm don't think golf is a sport (it's a game, like pool or
> > > croquet, only with a tougher skillset).
> >
> > "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and
> > mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
> > -- Ernest Hemingway
> >

> Hemingway sure was a arrogant self centered A-hole.

Oh, I didn't know you knew Hemingway!

>Anybody that thinks
> killing and
> torturing helpless animals is a sport obviously was compensating for his
> own
> lack of manhood.

Well Mr. Manhood, I won't kill you, but torture is not above me. Next time
you eat meat, remember this post. And if you're Vegan, how could you
possibly eat those poor, poor. living, loving veggies? LOL!

A sport is not one where you have all the advantages and
> is played
> against an animal that doesn't know what's going and has little or no
> chance of
> winning.

I'm reminded of a Clancy novel. I would enjoy seeing you survive in a jungle
in South America, Mr. Advantage!

I can't speak for Hemingway, but the life I've hunted has always had a
sporting chance and often won! More often, than not.

However, I look forward to the day when the likes of you, attempts to hunt
me!

"little or no chance"???

LOL!

:-)

Laurance

Peter Krynicki

Jun 14, 2003, 5:04:16 PM6/14/03
"Laurance" <lauran...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<C2HGa.43674$rO.43...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> "TomH" <tlh...@Nospamotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alson Wong" <also...@earthlink.net.block> wrote in message
> > > "gk1" <g...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> > > "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and
> > > mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
> > > -- Ernest Hemingway
> > >

> > Hemingway sure was a arrogant self centered A-hole.
>
> Oh, I didn't know you knew Hemingway!

Hemingway never said anything like this, or, if he did, it has never
been found in any of his writings. Google The Hemingway Quote Finder
if you like.

hth
Pjk

santolina

Jun 15, 2003, 12:30:03 AM6/15/03

s_knight8 <s_kn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

(snip)

> If the NFL turned into the NBA, there would be no plays on offense;

Bingo.

> 11
> guys would just run around doing whatever they felt like,

Precisely.

> calling for
> the ball.

Not quite. Eight players would stand on one side of the field doing
nothing, while three would attempt to create some kind of mismatch on the
other side, all played out at about 60% of full speed.

> Each person who actually got the ball would immediately
> throw a 60-yard pass, then turn to the officials to scream for a foul.

Wouldn't do any good, since only about 3% of players would ever get a
penalty called in their favor.

(snip)

> But don't take my word for it, take the people's plebiscite. NBA
> attendance is down, while NFL attendance sets a new record almost
> annually. NBA ratings have fallen almost 45 percent in the past
> decade, while NFL ratings remain tops in sports and have been rising
> mildly in recent years. For a decade the quality of the NBA product
> has been going downhill. The NBA's attitude is that fans are too
> stupid to notice. But fans know about the decline and are paying
> steadily less attention. Please, oh football gods, don't let this
> spread to the NFL!

Basketball teams used to run systems (take a deep breath, I know it's hard
to believe, but it's true), back before the league mandated that the rules
were not applicable to certain individuals. Alas, those days are gone, now
the winner is either the Lakers, by default if Shaq and Kobe bother to show
up, or whomever manages to blindly heave 35% of their shots through the
hoop.

Of course, if you are interested in sports where there is genuine
competition and the outcomes are not predetermined, there's always pro
wrestling or figure skating.

Laurance

Jun 16, 2003, 3:21:25 AM6/16/03

"Peter Krynicki" <peter_k...@MSN.COM> wrote in message

When Alson Wong quoted it, it's more likely than not, a Hemingway quote.!

Further, How is it ,you can say, "never" AND "if" ???

Laurance

TomH

Jun 16, 2003, 11:21:19 AM6/16/03

"Laurance" <lauran...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "TomH" <tlh...@Nospamotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alson Wong" <also...@earthlink.net.block> wrote in message
> > > "gk1" <g...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> > > "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and
> > > mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
> > > -- Ernest Hemingway
> > >

> > Hemingway sure was a arrogant self centered A-hole.
>
> Oh, I didn't know you knew Hemingway!
>
> >Anybody that thinks
> > killing and
> > torturing helpless animals is a sport obviously was compensating for
his
> > own
> > lack of manhood.
>
> Well Mr. Manhood, I won't kill you, but torture is not above me. Next
time
> you eat meat, remember this post. And if you're Vegan, how could you
> possibly eat those poor, poor. living, loving veggies? LOL!

I'm not against hunting or eating meat. But calling it a sport
and enjoying the thrill of the kill is a lot different than farming and
ranching. But I was talking about Bull fighting not hunting, but hunting's
not a sport either.

> A sport is not one where you have all the advantages and
> > is played
> > against an animal that doesn't know what's going and has little or no
> > chance of
> > winning.
>
> I'm reminded of a Clancy novel. I would enjoy seeing you survive in a
jungle
> in South America, Mr. Advantage!

What the hell does that have to do with bullfighting? I have hunted, and
believe me it's hardly surviving in the Jungle. The only challenge in
hunting
is dragging the carcass back to the truck.

> I can't speak for Hemingway, but the life I've hunted has always had a
> sporting chance and often won! More often, than not.

You mean it sometimes got away and you had to shoot another one,
gosh what a sport.

> However, I look forward to the day when the likes of you, attempts to
hunt
> me!
>
> "little or no chance"???

If you didn't have a gun I'm sure I could kick your ass in a fair fight. At
least you'd know what it was like to have something fight back.

> LOL!
>
> :-)
>
> Laurance

Peter Krynicki

Jun 16, 2003, 12:22:02 PM6/16/03
"Laurance" <lauran...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<VdeHa.50354$Io.47...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

Glad you asked.

Two reasons. The first is that it has never been attributed.
Attributed means that no-one has ever been able to find it in a
letter, an interview, or one of his works of fiction or non-fiction.
Alson Wong didn't quote Hemingway. He or she copied it from somewhere
else that did not attribut it to Hemingway.

Secondly (a), Hemingway didn't consider bullfighting a sport. He
considered it a tragedy because it always ended in death. This is
attributed; i.e., it appears in his writing. Secondly (b) of all of
the things Hemingway was interested in, motor-racing was not one of
them. There is no evidence that he ever attended a motor-race, and as
soon as he could afford it, he hired a driver and general handy-man
named Toby Bruce. Hemingway didn't even like to drive. He was
interested in bicycle racing and even owned a bike when he lived in
Paris in the 20's. One of his stories even features a bicyclist. And
secondly (c), he never climbed a mountain. He and his wife and a
friend, Eric "Chink" Dorman-Smith, walked over an easy pass in the
Pyrenees a couple of times, and he walked up mountainsides in the days
when there were no chair-lifts for skiers. He walked up with skis tied
to his pack, then skied down. And secondly, (d), IMO, he was a
prize-fight fan. If he ever said anything about real sports, I think
he would have included big-game fishing and prize-fighting.

hth
Pjk

Gerald Moore

Jun 17, 2003, 9:36:38 AM6/17/03
Dennis <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<i47fevcrgufqbm3va...@4ax.com>...

> dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
> running a Marathon.

Actually, it's closer than you seem to think.

Go drive a real go-kart some time. Not the silly shit they have at
the beach, but a real kart. It WILL wear your ass out. Now try doing
it for a few hours. Inside a vibrating oven. Wearing long underwear.

> I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a
> Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
> could finish...

I'd be willing to bet he'd make it farther than just about anyone in
this ng.

Happy, troll?

Gerald

Dennis

Jun 17, 2003, 10:11:43 AM6/17/03
cgm...@icx.net (Gerald Moore) startled small woodland creatures when
they said:

>Dennis <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<i47fevcrgufqbm3va...@4ax.com>...
>
>> dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
>> running a Marathon.
>
>Actually, it's closer than you seem to think.
>
>Go drive a real go-kart some time. Not the silly shit they have at
>the beach, but a real kart. It WILL wear your ass out. Now try doing
>it for a few hours. Inside a vibrating oven. Wearing long underwear.

The same could be said for being a boiler tech on a navy ship too.
except there is no long underwear, and you're there for 4+ hours at a
shot every freakin' day. gets to be 120 degrees between those boilers
right where you need to check the gages. and that's with just one
fired up.

>> I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a
>> Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
>> could finish...
>
>I'd be willing to bet he'd make it farther than just about anyone in
>this ng.
>
>Happy, troll?

troll? me nope just responding to a post I saw.

Barry Posner

Jun 17, 2003, 1:06:15 PM6/17/03

Dennis wrote:

> dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to

> running a Marathon. I'd like to see =Jeff Gordon even Finish a

> Marathon. Hell make him run the Mini Marathon at Indy and see if he
> could finish...

Michael Waltrip has finished a few. Running a marathon is not as
superhuman as you think. Six months of careful preparation, and almost
anybody can do it.

F1 drivers, OTOH, maintain a heart rate of about 180 for over 100
minutes straight.

bp

Jason Green

Jun 17, 2003, 1:29:22 PM6/17/03
"Gerald Moore" <cgm...@icx.net> wrote in message

> Dennis <drju...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> > dude.. sitting in a seat for 400 + is not athletically equivelent to
> > running a Marathon.
>
> Actually, it's closer than you seem to think.
>
> Go drive a real go-kart some time. Not the silly shit they have at
> the beach, but a real kart. It WILL wear your ass out. Now try doing
> it for a few hours. Inside a vibrating oven. Wearing long underwear.

A few hours? In a kart? Do they have races that long? Good lord.

I've done about 30 laps in one of those and I agree - it's exhausting. I could
barely stand up out of the kart when I was done. But then, I'm fat and out of
shape.

[g]

gk1

Jun 17, 2003, 2:45:40 PM6/17/03
"Toby Drake" <tcdr...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<Fv5Ga.45912$Io.42...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

world series of poker.

Laurance

Jun 17, 2003, 7:28:51 PM6/17/03

"TomH BZZZZZZZZZ" <tlh...@Nospamotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Well Mr. Manhood, I won't kill you, but torture is not above me. Next
> time
> > you eat meat, remember this post. And if you're Vegan, how could you
> > possibly eat those poor, poor. living, loving veggies? LOL!
> >
> I'm not against hunting or eating meat.

Nor was Hemingway!

>But calling it a sport
> and enjoying the thrill of the kill is a lot different than farming and
> ranching.

Yes, it is Jolly Rancher, please, tell us more about hunting?

>But I was talking about Bull fighting not hunting,

Fair enough. Please tell us what you know about Bull Fighting?

>but hunting's
> not a sport either.

LOL, you've just told us all we needed to know. I should PLONK now, but
let's see what else you are armed with.

> > A sport is not one where you have all the advantages and
> > > is played
> > > against an animal that doesn't know what's going and has little or no
> > > chance of
> > > winning.
> >
> > I'm reminded of a Clancy novel. I would enjoy seeing you survive in a
> jungle
> > in South America, Mr. Advantage!
>
> What the hell does that have to do with bullfighting?

Nothing.... Before now, have you ever been gored?

>I have hunted, and
> believe me it's hardly surviving in the Jungle.

Try hunting in the ocean. There, like the jungle, you will learn your
arrogance is somewhere in the MIDDLE of the food chain.

>The only challenge in
> hunting
> is dragging the carcass back to the truck.

Yeah, right! I just envisioned a fat fuck like you huffin' and puffin' as
you struggle to drag a domestic bunny carcass, (that you just blew up with a
12 guage), to your SUV, located on your quarter acre lot within a gated
community that you call a farm. All the while thinking how long it was going
to take you to get the lead out before presenting it to your even fatter
fuckin wife to cook. Just remember to tell her, it tastes just like chicken
and season with plenty of peppercorn so she'll not know the difference
between that and double odd buck shot

> > I can't speak for Hemingway, but the life I've hunted has always had a
> > sporting chance and often won! More often, than not.
> >
> You mean it sometimes got away and you had to shoot another one,
> gosh what a sport.

No. I don't mean that at all. So, deductively, it must be YOUR experience er
lack thereof! Gosh, what a sportsman! And Bunny Rabbits live another day!

> > However, I look forward to the day when the likes of you, attempts to
> hunt
> > me!
> >
> > "little or no chance"???
>
> If you didn't have a gun I'm sure I could kick your ass in a fair fight.

LOL, you're "sure"? This goes FAR beyond those real world simpletons who
mistakenly dismiss those they actually meet. I call them fools with FALSE
BRAVADO! I'll have to think of a new term for the likes of you.

Meanwhile, I say only this... 'If your world EVER realizes or invades my
world, I WILL survive!' Otherwise, in this world, I've had my ass kicked
plenty of times. Just NOT by you!

>At
> least you'd know what it was like to have something fight back.

No, I will not really "know"...... because this appears to be the best YOU
can do!

Damn, I've hooked a guppy!

Snip line and Plonk!

Laurance

Laurance

Jun 17, 2003, 7:41:58 PM6/17/03

> "Laurance" <lauran...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > "Peter Krynicki" <peter_k...@MSN.COM> wrote in message
> > > "Laurance" <lauran...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

there
> > and
> > is a

> > or

Knew you'd skip this!

> > > Hemingway never said anything like this, or, if he did, it has never
> > > been found in any of his writings. Google The Hemingway Quote Finder
> > > if you like.
> > >
> > > hth
> > > Pjk
> >
> > When Alson Wong quoted it, it's more likely than not, a Hemingway
quote.!

> > Further, How is it ,you can say, "never" AND "if" ???
> >

> Glad you asked.
>
> Two reasons. The first is that it has never been attributed.
> Attributed means that no-one has ever been able to find it in a
> letter, an interview, or one of his works of fiction or non-fiction.
> Alson Wong didn't quote Hemingway. He or she copied it from somewhere

> else that did not attribute it to Hemingway.

Alson would have to speak on this. His rep and recall is generally
impeccable. To suggest, he did not quote Hemingway because you tell me it's
NOT been attributed, (with definition thereafter), still does not,( in my
mind), make it so. You may be right, so too, may Alson. I don't know you, so
my money has to be on Alson! To quote another, " I'm jiggy wit it"

> Secondly (a), Hemingway didn't consider bullfighting a sport. He
> considered it a tragedy because it always ended in death. This is

> attributed; I.e., it appears in his writing.

Now, we are getting somewhere.

Please post the attribution.

>Secondly (b) of all of
> the things Hemingway was interested in, motor-racing was not one of
> them. There is no evidence that he ever attended a motor-race, and as
> soon as he could afford it, he hired a driver and general handy-man
> named Toby Bruce. Hemingway didn't even like to drive.

Does the absence of Hemingway's "motor-racing" evidential history (online)
mean he was or was not an enthusiast?

Or that he could or could not have made the comment (quote), in passing,
to someone (else) who wrote of it?

What would/should have to be done here, is research of the origin of the
attribution which you have stated does NOT exist in HIS writings.... Yet,
exists, by evidence, of Alson's quote

>He was
> interested in bicycle racing and even owned a bike when he lived in
> Paris in the 20's. One of his stories even features a bicyclist.

IMO, a contest.

>And
> secondly (c), he never climbed a mountain.

Oh really? "Never", eh? There are all kind's of mountains.

Still.... refer to aforementioned (evidence) response.

>He and his wife and a
> friend, Eric "Chink" Dorman-Smith, walked over an easy pass in the
> Pyrenees a couple of times, and he walked up mountainsides in the days
> when there were no chair-lifts for skiers. He walked up with skis tied
> to his pack, then skied down.

When walking OVER a mountain, is that not considered climbing, to a WRITER?
And WHO exactly defined what is "easy"? A mountain CLIMBER or a writer or
perhaps a critic?

To me, the very fact, that YOU acknowledge Hemingway's moutain feats lends
some/more credence to Alson's quote and less to your position.

Perhaps you need to expand more, expound less.

And secondly, (d), IMO, he was a
> prize-fight fan.

So? What bearing does this have on our discussion?

>If he ever said anything about real sports, I think
> he would have included big-game fishing

We agree here. IIRC, he did big game sportfishing. I believe I've seen film
of it.

>and prize-fighting.

A contest?

Laurance

Laurance

Jun 17, 2003, 9:50:02 PM6/17/03

"Laurance" <lauran...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Oops! This is misdirected.

My bad!

Laurance

TomH

Jun 18, 2003, 8:15:51 PM6/18/03

> "TomH BZZZZZZZZZ" <tlh...@Nospamotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Well Mr. Manhood, I won't kill you, but torture is not above me. Next
> > time
> > > you eat meat, remember this post. And if you're Vegan, how could you
> > > possibly eat those poor, poor. living, loving veggies? LOL!
> > >
> > I'm not against hunting or eating meat.
>
> Nor was Hemingway!
No kidding

> >But calling it a sport
> > and enjoying the thrill of the kill is a lot different than farming and
> > ranching.
>
> Yes, it is Jolly Rancher, please, tell us more about hunting?

It's about enjoying hunting down and killing animals.

> >But I was talking about Bull fighting not hunting,
>
> Fair enough. Please tell us what you know about Bull Fighting?

I already stated what I know about bull fighting. I'm sure there
is skill and some danger, but it's still animal abuse where the animal
is tortured and killed with no chance.

> >but hunting's
> > not a sport either.
>
> LOL, you've just told us all we needed to know. I should PLONK now, but
> let's see what else you are armed with.
> >

> > > A sport is not one where you have all the advantages and
> > >
> > > I'm reminded of a Clancy novel. I would enjoy seeing you survive in a
> > jungle
> > > in South America, Mr. Advantage!
> >
> > What the hell does that have to do with bullfighting?
>
> Nothing.... Before now, have you ever been gored?

No, have you? But I do love seeing those idiots in Spain
get it during the teasing of the Bulls festival.

> >I have hunted, and
> > believe me it's hardly surviving in the Jungle.
>
> Try hunting in the ocean. There, like the jungle, you will learn your
> arrogance is somewhere in the MIDDLE of the food chain.

Hunting in the ocean? Is that called fishing?

> >The only challenge in
> > hunting
> > is dragging the carcass back to the truck.
>
> Yeah, right! I just envisioned a fat fuck like you huffin' and puffin' as
> you struggle to drag a domestic bunny carcass, (that you just blew up
with a
> 12 guage), to your SUV, located on your quarter acre lot within a gated
> community that you call a farm. All the while thinking how long it was
going
> to take you to get the lead out before presenting it to your even fatter
> fuckin wife to cook. Just remember to tell her, it tastes just like
chicken
> and season with plenty of peppercorn so she'll not know the difference
> between that and double odd buck shot

I don't hunt, so you'll have to fantasize about someone else.

> > > I can't speak for Hemingway, but the life I've hunted has always had
> > > sporting chance and often won! More often, than not.
> > >
> > You mean it sometimes got away and you had to shoot another one,
> > gosh what a sport.
>
> No. I don't mean that at all. So, deductively, it must be YOUR experience
er
> lack thereof! Gosh, what a sportsman! And Bunny Rabbits live another day!

So what sporting chance do they have? The only sporting chance an animal
has is
if you miss it, unless you count just not being able to find them in the
first place.

> > > However, I look forward to the day when the likes of you, attempts to
> > hunt
> > > me!
> > >
> > > "little or no chance"???
> >
> > If you didn't have a gun I'm sure I could kick your ass in a fair
fight.

> LOL, you're "sure"? This goes FAR beyond those real world simpletons who
> mistakenly dismiss those they actually meet. I call them fools with FALSE
> BRAVADO! I'll have to think of a new term for the likes of you.
>
> Meanwhile, I say only this... 'If your world EVER realizes or invades my
> world, I WILL survive!' Otherwise, in this world, I've had my ass kicked
> plenty of times. Just NOT by you!

You better be prepared, because our black helicoptors are comming for you.

-Tom

Warrior

Jun 18, 2003, 10:54:00 PM6/18/03
Winston Cup Racing IS a sport and it is the #1 sport in the USA (in attendance, TV audience AND merchandising). Last years Daytona
500 was watched by more than half of the people on the planet (and that's a fact you can verify with the Neilson company)

NFL?? What the heck is that. If you need 4 downs to get 10yds, you need a new QB. Canadian Football League all the way. 3 or
out!

Warrior

Jun 18, 2003, 10:59:42 PM6/18/03
You want to make hunting more 'even' for the animal...give him a gun too.

SAP...@never.nospam.nowhere.ever.ever

Jun 18, 2003, 11:18:47 PM6/18/03
"Warrior" <dontboth...@me.net> wrote in message

> Last years Daytona
> 500 was watched by more than half of the people on the planet
> (and that's a fact you can verify with the Neilson company)

Bullshit, idiot.

Barry Posner

Jun 19, 2003, 9:23:33 AM6/19/03

Warrior wrote:

> Winston Cup Racing IS a sport and it is the #1 sport in the USA (in attendance, TV audience AND merchandising).

Nonsense. The highest rated NASCAR TV event last year was perhaps the
20th highest of all sporting events. And their 36 races saw maybe 5
million in attendance, which is multiples below baseball and football.
The only way it's attendance is larger is on a single event basis, but
it isn't really fair to compare to the other sports, which have 10 or 15
events per day versus one for NASCAR.

> Last years Daytona 500 was watched by more than half of the people on the planet (and that's a fact you can verify with the Neilson company)

Not even close. The audience outside the US was minimal, and less than
1/3 of the US population watched it. And Nielsen Media Research does not
do TV ratings around the world, it is limited to North America.

bp

Dennis

Jun 19, 2003, 2:23:14 PM6/19/03
Barry Posner <bup...@psu.edu> startled small woodland creatures when
they said:

>Warrior wrote:
>>
>> Winston Cup Racing IS a sport and it is the #1 sport in the USA (in attendance, TV audience AND merchandising).
>
>Nonsense. The highest rated NASCAR TV event last year was perhaps the
>20th highest of all sporting events. And their 36 races saw maybe 5
>million in attendance, which is multiples below baseball and football.
>The only way it's attendance is larger is on a single event basis, but
>it isn't really fair to compare to the other sports, which have 10 or 15
>events per day versus one for NASCAR.

unless of course you want to compare races... Indy 500 still draws
more viewers worldwide than any other race and that is real racin'

>> Last years Daytona 500 was watched by more than half of the people on the planet (and that's a fact you can verify with the Neilson company)
>
>Not even close. The audience outside the US was minimal, and less than
>1/3 of the US population watched it. And Nielsen Media Research does not
>do TV ratings around the world, it is limited to North America.
>
>bp

"education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance" --Will Durant

Barry Posner

Jun 19, 2003, 3:31:22 PM6/19/03

Dennis wrote:

> unless of course you want to compare races... Indy 500 still draws
> more viewers worldwide than any other race and that is real racin'

I'd like to see the numbers.

You gotta understand that the Indy 500 is only a big deal in the US, and
to some degree, Canada. OTOH, every single F1 race is viewed in about
250 countries. F1 viewership ranks right up there with the Olympics and
World Cup Soccer.

In the US, about 5 million people watched the Indy 500. This compares
to, for example, about 9 million people in Italy who watch every F1
race, 11 million in Germany, 5 million in Framnce, 4 million in the UK,
and so on.

About 11 million in the US watched the Daytona 500.

bp

Laurance

Jun 20, 2003, 12:00:44 AM6/20/03

> You want to make hunting more 'even' for the animal...give him a gun too.

No! Do as I have and hunt without one!

In fact, I'm doing it, as we speak!

;-)

Laurance