Dwight Smith

1 view

ALBATROSS!!!!!!!!!

Aug 2, 1993, 10:04:00 AM8/2/93
In article <COFFEY.93J...@cptc2.neep.wisc.edu>, cof...@cptc2.neep.wisc.edu (Robert L. Coffey) writes...

>>I have the possibility of acquring Dwight Smith in a trade in a fantasy
>>league. I am completey and hopelessly out of the race for this year's title, so
>>I might be interested in Smith even though he is on the DL (ie: he's cheap :).
>>So, I was wondering if anyone happened to know if his current condition was
>>considered career-threatening or anything of the sort... Thanks in advace for
>>any and all info...
>
>Smith begins rehab today I think. A ball. The main reason he is in rehab
>is to give the Cubs time to deal Maldonado. When Smith is ready, if Candy is
>still around, he may be waived. Smith's injury is anything but career-
>threatening.

The problem is that Dwight Smith is simply not that good. he was hot in
April and early May and has sucked ever since. I made the mistake of drooling
over his stats and trading for him only to get stuck with .210 and no help
anywhere for a few weeks before i could dump him to another similarly
delusioned owner.

Randy

Joe Whitty

Aug 3, 1993, 1:11:19 PM8/3/93
C Robert Claydon (ccla...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.EDU) wrote:
: I have the possibility of acquiring Dwight Smith in a trade in a fantasy
: league. I am completely and hopelessly out of the race for this year's title, so

: I might be interested in Smith even though he is on the DL (ie: he's cheap :).
: So, I was wondering if anyone happened to know if his current condition was
: considered career-threatening or anything of the sort... Thanks in advance for
: any and all info...
:
: rob

Rob, I would avoid the trade. The Cubs must not be thinking that
Smith is in their future since they acquired Karl Rhodes. Also Roberson
is playing too well. Smith has demonstrated his ability to hit, so
why hasn't the Cubs used him more? The answer is fielding. Smith is
known for his poor fielding.

Joe

Michael Clark

Aug 3, 1993, 3:34:31 PM8/3/93

Does anyone know when Nolan's next appearance is? I know it must be this
Wednesday or Thursday, (he hasn't pitched the last three days) but I don't
know which and would like to get tickets in advance to see him pitch against
the sox.

Thanks.

- Money

Daniel Banyas

Aug 3, 1993, 6:16:27 PM8/3/93

The Friday night ESPN game last week had Nolan pitching - so figure it out.
The Rangers (like every other team nowadays) use a 5-man rotation. My guess
would be Wednesday....you can also watch the late SportsCenter (or the early
morning one) where they always show tomorrow's pitching match-ups.

--
Danno - da...@is.morgan.com - The opinions expressed here
(blah, blah, blah) are mine (blah, blah, blah) and do not

'Scientific Progress Goes *BOINK*' -
Calvin and Hobbes book

John Neuharth

Aug 5, 1993, 4:38:43 AM8/5/93
cla...@dvorak.amd.com (Michael Clark) writes:

It was Wednesday night, and the 45 year old man made Robin Ventura look like
a serious wimp, much to my enjoyment.

Not that that helps you out that much, but there you go.

-John Neuharth

neuh...@u.washington.edu

Bob Gilreath

Aug 5, 1993, 8:27:09 AM8/5/93
John Neuharth (neuh...@hardy.u.washington.edu) wrote:
: cla...@dvorak.amd.com (Michael Clark) writes:

: >Does anyone know when Nolan's next appearance is? I know it must be this
: >Wednesday or Thursday, (he hasn't pitched the last three days) but I don't
: >know which and would like to get tickets in advance to see him pitch against
: >the sox.

: It was Wednesday night, and the 45 year old man made Robin Ventura look like
: a serious wimp, much to my enjoyment.

Now i don't condone fighting as much as the next guy, but if you haven't seen
the highlites from last nights game, check it out. Nolan hit Ventura with a
pitch, and robin charged the mound thinking about taking this OLD guy out.
Nolan promptly put him in a headlock and got in about 6 clean upper cuts before
ventura knew what hit him...Clearly the rest of the league will think twice
about rushing the mound on the OLD MAN again! ;-)

Just another aspect of Nolan that makes him amazing. ;-)
Bob

: Not that that helps you out that much, but there you go.

: -John Neuharth

: neuh...@u.washington.edu

Daniel Banyas

Aug 5, 1993, 12:31:48 PM8/5/93
In article <1993Aug5.1...@mtu.edu>, bo...@mtu.edu (Bob Gilreath) writes:
|> John Neuharth (neuh...@hardy.u.washington.edu) wrote:
|> : cla...@dvorak.amd.com (Michael Clark) writes:
|>

|> : >Does anyone know when Nolan's next appearance is? I know it must be this
|> : >Wednesday or Thursday, (he hasn't pitched the last three days) but I don't
|> : >know which and would like to get tickets in advance to see him pitch against
|> : >the sox.
|>
|> : It was Wednesday night, and the 45 year old man made Robin Ventura look like
|> : a serious wimp, much to my enjoyment.
|>
|> Now i don't condone fighting as much as the next guy, but if you haven't seen
|> the highlites from last nights game, check it out. Nolan hit Ventura with a
|> pitch, and robin charged the mound thinking about taking this OLD guy out.
|> Nolan promptly put him in a headlock and got in about 6 clean upper cuts before
|> ventura knew what hit him...Clearly the rest of the league will think twice
|> about rushing the mound on the OLD MAN again! ;-)
|>
|> Just another aspect of Nolan that makes him amazing. ;-)

And the double standard for Ryan is an absolute travesty.

I don't denegrate his accomplishments - at 44 he was still one
of the top pitchers in the league. But the American League,
via their umpires, has been cutting Ryan slack on inside pitches
for years now. The White Sox, in particular, have been victims
of the Ryan Inside Express on more than a couple occasions in
the past three seasons. And please note - Ryan - in an OBVIOUS
retaliation for Fernandez grazing Juan Gonzalez, did NOT get
thrown out. An f-ing joke.

But what about baseball management isn't a joke these days.

Mark Petersen

Aug 5, 1993, 12:43:08 PM8/5/93
In article <1993Aug5.1...@mtu.edu> bo...@mtu.edu (Bob Gilreath) writes:
>John Neuharth (neuh...@hardy.u.washington.edu) wrote:
>
>: It was Wednesday night, and the 45 year old man made Robin Ventura look like
>: a serious wimp, much to my enjoyment.
>: -John Neuharth

>Now i don't condone fighting as much as the next guy, but if you haven't seen
>the highlites from last nights game, check it out. Nolan hit Ventura with a
>pitch, and robin charged the mound thinking about taking this OLD guy out.
>Nolan promptly put him in a headlock and got in about 6 clean upper cuts before
>ventura knew what hit him...Clearly the rest of the league will think twice
>about rushing the mound on the OLD MAN again! ;-)
>Bob

I have a feeling that if Ventura decided he wanted to get in a fistfight
with Nolan than he would have done some serious damage...Ventura was in a
lose-lose situation once he charged the mound...if he decks Ryan he's
"beating up and old man" and we saw what happened when he didn't attack
aggresively and Ryan did.

Next time, Ventura better stick to verbal abuse, or go out there with
the intent to swing. I think if you look at the replay, Ventura didn't
want to swing and was trying to neutralize Ryan's swings.

I have no interest in Ventura at all, it's just how I saw the play :-).

Mark

Mark J. Petersen | email: mp...@sequent.com
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. | uunet!sequent!mpete
(503)578-5701 |

11swhi...@gallua.gallaudet.edu

Aug 5, 1993, 2:07:57 PM8/5/93

And like when Fernadez hit Juan in the 2nd, that was a accident???

Get real, ur pitchers are just as bad as anyones..

Jeffrey Zirker

Aug 5, 1993, 11:40:12 AM8/5/93
Nolan is really 46 (Ventura 26), but I wouldn't say it to his face! What
a display. I agree completely with the umpire's decision not to throw
Nolan out - he is a legend, and any smug punk like Ventura who has as
little respect as he for the true heroes of the game should be put in his
place (and he was!) My only regret is that everyone didn't just let Nolan
keep going.

Jeff 'Gumby' Zirker

Randy Peppler

Aug 5, 1993, 4:31:42 PM8/5/93
11swhi...@gallua.gallaudet.edu writes:

>And like when Fernadez hit Juan in the 2nd, that was a accident???
>Get real, ur pitchers are just as bad as anyones..

Did you see that one? The ball looked to be less than a
foot off the plate and Ivan, a plate crowder to begin with,
leaned in. I'm sure Alex wanted to bean him considering he
already led 2-0...

Randy
--
- Randy
pep...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Daniel Banyas

Aug 5, 1993, 3:53:20 PM8/5/93
In article <1993Aug5...@gallua.gallaudet.edu>, 11swhi...@gallua.gallaudet.edu writes:
|> In article <1993Aug5.1...@is.morgan.com>, da...@nyis138.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Daniel Banyas) writes:

|> > And the double standard for Ryan is an absolute travesty.
|> >
|> > I don't denegrate his accomplishments - at 44 he was still one
|> > of the top pitchers in the league. But the American League,
|> > via their umpires, has been cutting Ryan slack on inside pitches
|> > for years now. The White Sox, in particular, have been victims
|> > of the Ryan Inside Express on more than a couple occasions in
|> > the past three seasons. And please note - Ryan - in an OBVIOUS
|> > retaliation for Fernandez grazing Juan Gonzalez, did NOT get
|> > thrown out. An f-ing joke.
|>
|> And like when Fernadez hit Juan in the 2nd, that was a accident???
|>
|> Get real, ur pitchers are just as bad as anyones..

First - I'm a Cubs fan (who've been involved in two fights
in three days with the Pirates) so I have no stake in the W.Sox
and Rangers.

Second - The pitch to Gonzalez was up and in, a little tight,
and barely grazed his forearm. The pitch to Ventura was right
at him and nailed him square in the arm. Obvious retaliation.
And Ventura got tossed, but Nolan didn't. THAT'S the double
standard.

Daniel Banyas

Aug 5, 1993, 5:02:06 PM8/5/93

You're an idiot. A baseball, especially when tossed by someone
like Nolan who can still put it over 90 MPH, can kill or maim
someone. Having respect for Ryan is not letting him throw AT YOU.
It's shaking your head as you walk back to the dugout becaused
he's whiffed you.

Ted Frank

Aug 5, 1993, 7:08:46 PM8/5/93
In article <23rqne$r...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> pep...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Randy Peppler) writes:
>11swhi...@gallua.gallaudet.edu writes:
>>And like when Fernadez hit Juan in the 2nd, that was a accident???
>>Get real, ur pitchers are just as bad as anyones..
>
> Did you see that one? The ball looked to be less than a
> foot off the plate and Ivan, a plate crowder to begin with,
> leaned in. I'm sure Alex wanted to bean him considering he
> already led 2-0...

Ryan has a reputation for throwing at batters. He hit Craig Grebeck after
a home run in 1990, and Ellis Burks after back-to-backs a couple of years
ago. Add to this the fact that manager Kevin Kennedy has condoned this sort
of behavior, Ventura had just driven in a run, and that Ryan was exhibiting
his best control in a year that night, and the conclusion is inescapable.
The man was risking Robin Ventura's well-being, and Ventura had a right
to get mad.
--
ted frank | "You won't settle for putting Susan B. Anthony
th...@kimbark.uchicago.edu | on the new dollar then?"

Russ Smith

Aug 5, 1993, 7:22:25 PM8/5/93
In article <1993Aug5.2...@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>Ryan has a reputation for throwing at batters. He hit Craig Grebeck after
>a home run in 1990, and Ellis Burks after back-to-backs a couple of years
>ago. Add to this the fact that manager Kevin Kennedy has condoned this sort
>of behavior, Ventura had just driven in a run, and that Ryan was exhibiting
>his best control in a year that night, and the conclusion is inescapable.
>The man was risking Robin Ventura's well-being, and Ventura had a right
>to get mad.

Very true. The thing that Randy and I have mentioned is the retalition
is fair argument doesn't hold in this case, because the pitch that hit
Gonzalez was barely off the plate. Juan didn't get mad because he knew
he was leaning over the plate and didn't move out of the way.

Ryan didn't have to bean Ventura to retaliate for a clear mistake by
Fernandez, and he certainly didn't have to rain blows on a guy who
hadn't thrown a punch and was stopping to yell at him at the time.

Russ Smith
"I don't know anything about X's, but I know about some O."
George Gervin on being an assistant coach

Jon Hamkins

Aug 5, 1993, 9:42:19 PM8/5/93
th...@kimbark.uchicago.edu (Ted Frank) writes:

>Ryan has a reputation for throwing at batters. He hit Craig Grebeck after
>a home run in 1990, and Ellis Burks after back-to-backs a couple of years
>ago. Add to this the fact that manager Kevin Kennedy has condoned this sort
>of behavior, Ventura had just driven in a run, and that Ryan was exhibiting
>his best control in a year that night, and the conclusion is inescapable.
>The man was risking Robin Ventura's well-being, and Ventura had a right
>to get mad.

A right to get mad, sure. But not to charge the mound. The quotes in
the local paper here had Lamont saying, "Robin did the right thing. If
he thought Nolan was throwing at him he needed to go out there instead
of yelling at him." I'm sorry, Lamont is out to lunch on that one.
Noone has a right to charge the mound, ever. If a beaning is
intentional, let the ump make the call-- he's probably more objective
about it anyway. Lamont did seem to tone down his remarks by tonight,
though. In tonight's pregame interview he said that when hit you
either go to first, or to the mound, and each person has to make that
decision, blah, blah, but he stopped short of endorsing Ventura's
decision to go to the mound.

----Jon Hamkins (ham...@uiuc.edu)
University of Illinois

Jon Hamkins

Aug 5, 1993, 9:48:53 PM8/5/93
rsm...@strobe.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Russ Smith) writes:

>Ryan didn't have to bean Ventura to retaliate for a clear mistake by
>Fernandez, and he certainly didn't have to rain blows on a guy who
>hadn't thrown a punch and was stopping to yell at him at the time.

Ventura did not stop to yell at Ryan. Look at the replay. He came at
Ryan without stopping and with his arms outstretched.

Jonathan Hauke

Aug 5, 1993, 11:31:17 PM8/5/93
>Ryan has a reputation for throwing at batters. He hit Craig Grebeck after
>a home run in 1990, and Ellis Burks after back-to-backs a couple of years
>ago. Add to this the fact that manager Kevin Kennedy has condoned this sort
>of behavior, Ventura had just driven in a run, and that Ryan was exhibiting
>his best control in a year that night, and the conclusion is inescapable.
>The man was risking Robin Ventura's well-being, and Ventura had a right
>to get mad.

Since when does two hits batsmen make a reputation??? Many many pitchers
have hit more than two batsmen and don't have a reputation for hitting
people.

John Boteler

Aug 6, 1993, 1:34:03 AM8/6/93

What is the Ranger's pitching rotation order these days?

I am trying to figure how I can see him pitch in Baltimore
when Texas comes to town in August.

The last time Ryan pitched here, I was late, running at top
speed up Eutaw Street to get inside the ballpark
as the clouds built up.

Naturally, as I entered the seating area, the rains
came and that was it for Ryan for the night. Figures :(

This time around is my last chance, I'm afraid.

--

bo...@access.digex.net (John Boteler)
WARNING: You are subject to pre-emption!

Ara Hacopian

Aug 6, 1993, 4:09:26 AM8/6/93
Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
for active pitchers...

Daniel Banyas

Aug 6, 1993, 10:24:08 AM8/6/93
In article <hamkins.744601339@grinch>, ham...@geisel.csl.uiuc.edu (Jon Hamkins) writes:
|> th...@kimbark.uchicago.edu (Ted Frank) writes:
|>
|> >Ryan has a reputation for throwing at batters. He hit Craig Grebeck after
|> >a home run in 1990, and Ellis Burks after back-to-backs a couple of years
|> >ago. Add to this the fact that manager Kevin Kennedy has condoned this sort
|> >of behavior, Ventura had just driven in a run, and that Ryan was exhibiting
|> >his best control in a year that night, and the conclusion is inescapable.
|> >The man was risking Robin Ventura's well-being, and Ventura had a right
|> >to get mad.
|>
|> A right to get mad, sure. But not to charge the mound. The quotes in
|> the local paper here had Lamont saying, "Robin did the right thing. If
|> he thought Nolan was throwing at him he needed to go out there instead
|> of yelling at him." I'm sorry, Lamont is out to lunch on that one.
|> Noone has a right to charge the mound, ever. If a beaning is
|> intentional, let the ump make the call-- he's probably more objective
|> about it anyway.

When was the last time an umpire was objective? Ventura was on his way
to first when he decided to charge the mound. Ryan turned in his motion
and threw directly at him. The umpire had a couple of seconds to step out
and toss Ryan, but didn't. And wouldn't. And didn't even toss him AFTER
the brawl. I'm sorry, but if someone threw a 90mph fastball at me, I'd
probably go after him, too.

--
Danno - da...@is.morgan.com -

This .sig intentionally left blank.

Daniel Banyas

Aug 6, 1993, 10:25:22 AM8/6/93

Even the giggling fools on ESPN acknowledged that Ryan gets a break
on throwing inside.

--
Danno - da...@is.morgan.com -

This .sig intentionally left blank.

Peter Shea

Aug 6, 1993, 11:12:07 AM8/6/93
In article <23t3jm$l...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> aha...@wam.umd.edu (Ara Hacopian) writes:
>Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
>for active pitchers...

This is a stupid statement, when you've pitched in the majors longer than
anyone else what do you expect?! He also has the most SO, Wins, no-hitters
etc. for active pitchers. A better to judge his "reputation" would
be to look at HBP/IP or HBP/BF.

Peter Shea

11swhi...@gallua.gallaudet.edu

Aug 6, 1993, 12:54:32 PM8/6/93
In article <23s4nh$8...@olivea.ATC.Olivetti.Com>, rsm...@strobe.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Russ Smith) writes:
> In article <1993Aug5.2...@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>>Ryan has a reputation for throwing at batters. He hit Craig Grebeck after
>>a home run in 1990, and Ellis Burks after back-to-backs a couple of years
>>ago. Add to this the fact that manager Kevin Kennedy has condoned this sort
>>of behavior, Ventura had just driven in a run, and that Ryan was exhibiting
>>his best control in a year that night, and the conclusion is inescapable.
>>The man was risking Robin Ventura's well-being, and Ventura had a right
>>to get mad.
>
> Very true. The thing that Randy and I have mentioned is the retalition
> is fair argument doesn't hold in this case, because the pitch that hit
> Gonzalez was barely off the plate. Juan didn't get mad because he knew
> he was leaning over the plate and didn't move out of the way.
>
> Ryan didn't have to bean Ventura to retaliate for a clear mistake by
> Fernandez, and he certainly didn't have to rain blows on a guy who
> hadn't thrown a punch and was stopping to yell at him at the time.

No he was doing that cuz Ventura stole 2nd in the top of the 9th on tuesday
when the whitesox leading 11-6. What kinda asshole steals 2nd with a 5 run lead
with one inning left???

David Grabiner

Aug 6, 1993, 11:59:49 AM8/6/93
In article <23t3jm$l...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, Ara Hacopian writes:

> Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
> for active pitchers...

Note the difference here, "for hitting batters," not "for throwing at
batters." It's not at all surprising that Ryan should be the active
leader in hit batsmen; he is the active leader by a huge margin in two
other categories which correlate with hit batsmen. Those categories are
batters faced (the more you pitch, the more chances you have to hit
batters) and walks.

--
David Grabiner, grab...@zariski.harvard.edu
"We are sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary."

Keith Hearn

Aug 6, 1993, 12:47:51 PM8/6/93
In <23t3jm$l...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> Ara Hacopian <aha...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:
>Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
>for active pitchers...

Umm.... How many cumulative (not averaged) stats are there that Ryan
isn't the all-time leader for active pitchers in? He's been playing
for so long, I'll bet he's given up more HRs, more triples, doubles,
singles, IWs, BBs, Ks, HBPs, Errors, and you name it. Ok, I'm sure
that someone can come up with a stats or two that he's not tops in,
but I think you get my point.

Keith
--
Keith Hearn \ There are times when
khe...@pyramid.com \ I think a nuclear war

Daniel Banyas

Aug 6, 1993, 1:26:26 PM8/6/93
In article <23u1vn$7...@pyrps5.eng.pyramid.com>, khe...@pyrps5.eng.pyramid.com (Keith Hearn) writes:
|> In <23t3jm$l...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> Ara Hacopian <aha...@wam.umd.edu> wrote:
|> >Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
|> >for active pitchers...
|>
|> Umm.... How many cumulative (not averaged) stats are there that Ryan
|> isn't the all-time leader for active pitchers in? He's been playing
|> for so long, I'll bet he's given up more HRs, more triples, doubles,
|> singles, IWs, BBs, Ks, HBPs, Errors, and you name it. Ok, I'm sure
|> that someone can come up with a stats or two that he's not tops in,
|> but I think you get my point.

Stats, stats, stats - don't mean shit.

If you can throw the ball hard - and the stat freaks of the world
can debate whether or not Nolan has lost some juice off his fastball
till the cows come home, he still throws over 90 - then you can kill
someone with the ball.

Ryan did not lose control of the pitch. He threw it at Ventura.
You can tell that from the replays.

His reputation for hitting batters may or may not be backed up
by the stats - but it has been backed up by the voiced opinions
of major league players (and not all of them White Sox) over the
past couple days.

I'll listen to them over all the numbers you have.

--
Danno - da...@is.morgan.com -

Dave Winfield - after tying Wee Willy Keeler on the
all-time hits list last week - "Who would you rather
be - Wee Willy or Big Dave?"

Rob Strom

Aug 6, 1993, 1:37:36 PM8/6/93
In article <23t3jm$l...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, aha...@wam.umd.edu (Ara Hacopian) writes:
|> Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
|> for active pitchers...

Do you mean he has the most HBP per innings pitched
of all active pitchers with a reasonable number of innings pitched?
Can someone post this information?

--
Rob Strom, st...@watson.ibm.com, (914) 784-7641
IBM Research, 30 Saw Mill River Road, P.O. Box 704, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

Glenn Dirtbag Tanner

Aug 6, 1993, 3:14:49 PM8/6/93
da...@nyis138.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Daniel Banyas) writes:

>Stats, stats, stats - don't mean shit.

That will certainly win you lots of friends around here.

>If you can throw the ball hard - and the stat freaks of the world
>can debate whether or not Nolan has lost some juice off his fastball
>till the cows come home, he still throws over 90 - then you can kill
>someone with the ball.

Why would stat freaks debate this? All you need is a Jugs gun.

>Ryan did not lose control of the pitch. He threw it at Ventura.
>You can tell that from the replays.

Agreed. He also didn't throw it at his head. I haven't heard of anyone
dying of bruised ribs lately.

>His reputation for hitting batters may or may not be backed up
>by the stats - but it has been backed up by the voiced opinions
>of major league players (and not all of them White Sox) over the
>past couple days.

I would guess that almost every pitcher in the major leagues has thrown at a
hitter at some point in his life. But when you play for 27 years you're more
likely to get a reputation than the Willie Blairs of the league.

GT

>Dave Winfield - after tying Wee Willy Keeler on the
>all-time hits list last week - "Who would you rather
>be - Wee Willy or Big Dave?"

Or would you rather be Big Dave's Wee Willy?

Jeffrey Zirker

Aug 6, 1993, 11:57:19 AM8/6/93
> In <23t3jm$l...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> Ara Hacopian write:

>Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
>for active pitchers...

Any one that has been pitching for as long as Ryan will be the active
leader in categories like hit batsman NOT Because of a reputation, but
because of time.

A Colin Morton

Aug 6, 1993, 3:49:10 PM8/6/93
In article <1993Aug6.1...@is.morgan.com> da...@is.morgan.com writes:
>Ryan did not lose control of the pitch. He threw it at Ventura.
>You can tell that from the replays.

How?

Colin Morton,
Trent University.

Daniel Banyas

Aug 6, 1993, 4:28:45 PM8/6/93
In article <1993Aug6.1...@trentu.ca>, py...@trentu.ca (A Colin Morton) writes:
|> In article <1993Aug6.1...@is.morgan.com> da...@is.morgan.com writes:
|> >Ryan did not lose control of the pitch. He threw it at Ventura.
|> >You can tell that from the replays.
|>
|> How?

His leg kick and step are off to the first base side - his
follow-through points at Ventura, not the catcher.

--
Danno - da...@is.morgan.com -

This .sig intentionally left blank.

Mark J. Rinehart

Aug 6, 1993, 4:23:23 PM8/6/93
In article <1993Aug6.1...@is.morgan.com> da...@nyis138.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Daniel Banyas) writes:

> the brawl. I'm sorry, but if someone threw a 90mph fastball at me, I'd
> probably go after him, too.

> Danno - da...@is.morgan.com -

Maybe that's why you're not playing pro ball - if ya can't take the
heat.....(so to speak)

Mark

Ted Frank

Aug 6, 1993, 7:00:57 PM8/6/93
In article <1993Aug6...@gallua.gallaudet.edu> 11swhi...@gallua.gallaudet.edu writes:
>No he was doing that cuz Ventura stole 2nd in the top of the 9th on tuesday
>when the whitesox leading 11-6. What kinda asshole steals 2nd with a 5 run lead
>with one inning left???

I didn't see the Rangers walking off the field to forfeit the game after
failing to catch up in the bottom of the eighth. Are you saying that it's
impossible for the Texas offense to score five runs off of the Chicago
bullpen? It's a nice compliment to the Sox, but it's almost certainly not
true.

But as long as we're straight that Ryan intentionally threw at Ventura, and
is going to get away with it with impunity.

(Now, if Rickey Henderson did something like that... Oh, but Ryan has
"class." )

Ted Frank

Aug 6, 1993, 7:05:11 PM8/6/93
In article <CBCMA...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com> st...@Watson.Ibm.Com (Rob Strom) writes:
>In article <23t3jm$l...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, aha...@wam.umd.edu (Ara Hacopian) writes:
>|> Ryan does have a reputation for hitting batters, he the all-time leader
>|> for active pitchers...
>
>Do you mean he has the most HBP per innings pitched
>of all active pitchers with a reasonable number of innings pitched?
>Can someone post this information?

Ryan has hit 157 batters in 5320 innings. AL pitchers not named Nolan last
season hit 573 batters in a little over 20K innings. Nolan himself hit 12.

Bill Weber (DVNS)

Aug 6, 1993, 8:12:25 PM8/6/93
>Ryan did not lose control of the pitch. He threw it at Ventura.
>You can tell that from the replays.
>
>His reputation for hitting batters may or may not be backed up
>by the stats - but it has been backed up by the voiced opinions
>of major league players (and not all of them White Sox) over the
>past couple days.
>
>I'll listen to them over all the numbers you have.
>
>--
>Danno - da...@is.morgan.com -

Sounds like you subscribe to the theory that if enough people say
something it must be true. Do you also believe in astrology? Flying
saucers? Assasination Theories?

bwe...@micom.com
. Keep the shiny side up!! | Bill Weber (The Ace) .

Michael Zimmers

Aug 6, 1993, 8:30:17 PM8/6/93

>In article <CBCMA...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com> st...@Watson.Ibm.Com (Rob Strom) writes:

>>Do you mean [Nolan Ryan] has the most HBP per innings pitched

>>of all active pitchers with a reasonable number of innings pitched?
>>Can someone post this information?

>Ryan has hit 157 batters in 5320 innings. AL pitchers not named Nolan last
>season hit 573 batters in a little over 20K innings. Nolan himself hit 12.

Well, lessee -

HBP(NR) = 5,320 / 157 == one HBP every 33.89 innings
HBP(AL) = 20,000 / 573 == one HBP every 34.90 innings

So Nolan's about 3% more likely to hit someone than the average Joe.
| Michael Zimmers | Voice: 408 996 1965 |
| SoftHelp -- Suppliers to Software Developers | Data: 408 996 1974 |

Doc Exby

Aug 6, 1993, 4:12:54 PM8/6/93
11swhi...@gallua.gallaudet.edu writes:

>No he was doing that cuz Ventura stole 2nd in the top of the 9th on tuesday
>when the whitesox leading 11-6. What kinda asshole steals 2nd with a 5 run lead
>with one inning left???

awww poor baby....it is a really MEAN thing to do isn't it....awwww

::j

dcar...@wesleyan.edu

Aug 6, 1993, 10:13:18 PM8/6/93
Let's get this thread off rec.sport.baseball.fantasy? Thanks.

Ara Hacopian

Aug 7, 1993, 3:20:56 AM8/7/93
A lot of people got on my ass for that last thing I said about Ryan
having a rep for throwing at people. Relax. ut

Anyway, there were some stories about Ryan throwing at one batter
after he hit two homers off of him in one game. This seems just
crazy to me. I mean, the batters job is hit the ball, how can you throw
at him for that. Sure pitchers need to intimidate the batter, but
I think that you have to draw the line at possibly ending a guys
career.

Also, about Winfield, on espn they said that the next time Ryan faced
Winfield he threw over his head...this was at an all-star game.

theodore r krueger

Aug 9, 1993, 7:23:45 PM8/9/93

>>Do you mean he has the most HBP per innings pitched
>>of all active pitchers with a reasonable number of innings pitched?
>>Can someone post this information?

>Ryan has hit 157 batters in 5320 innings. AL pitchers not named Nolan last
>season hit 573 batters in a little over 20K innings. Nolan himself hit 12.

Now, if we do the division, we get:

Nolan Ryan, career 1 hpb every 33.89 innings
other 1992 pitchers 1 hpb every 34.90 innings

If Mr. Ryan does have a reputation as a headhunter, it is undeserved.

Ted

--
"Four out of five aint bad." - Patricia Ireland on the five tenets of feminism
attributed to Pat Robertson (#1 kill their children, #2 leave their husbands,
#3 practice witchcraft, #4 destroy capitalism, #5 become lesbians).
kru...@gas.uug.arizona.edu

joseph.charles.kolar..iii

Aug 9, 1993, 2:57:04 PM8/9/93

No - it is not a mean thing to do - but it is embarassing to charge the
mound and get your butt kicked by Mr. Ryan (please address Nolan as this).
I live in Chicago and it was funny cause the next day a sports announcer
was asking little kids what they thought of the Mr. Ryan - Robin Ventura
incident. All the kids kept saying was, "Robin Venture is a wimp."
So go ahead steal second base in the ninth inning and be known around
Chicago (and probably around the country) as a Wimp.

Joe

mhunt...@mac.cc.macalstr.edu

Aug 12, 1993, 8:45:09 PM8/12/93
In article <mzimmersC...@netcom.com>, mzim...@netcom.com (Michael Zimmers) writes:
> In article <1993Aug6.2...@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>
>>In article <CBCMA...@hawnews.watson.ibm.com> st...@Watson.Ibm.Com (Rob Strom) writes:
>
>>>Do you mean [Nolan Ryan] has the most HBP per innings pitched
>>>of all active pitchers with a reasonable number of innings pitched?
>>>Can someone post this information?
>
>>Ryan has hit 157 batters in 5320 innings. AL pitchers not named Nolan last
>>season hit 573 batters in a little over 20K innings. Nolan himself hit 12.
>
> Well, lessee -
>
> HBP(NR) = 5,320 / 157 == one HBP every 33.89 innings
> HBP(AL) = 20,000 / 573 == one HBP every 34.90 innings

and one for every 12(?) innings last year: about 2.5X as likely as the
average Joe. (12 HB in about 150 innings)

Mr. Huntington

IRA K BLUM

Aug 18, 1993, 5:28:26 PM8/18/93
I've been gone a long time from the net and have
not been able to keep up, plus I only saw replays.

I think Robin Ventura was lucky that Nolan Ryan beat him up,
since it was the only thing that kept the crowd from charging onto the
field and lynching him. The last player who had the gall to charge
Ryan was Dave Winfield in 1985. Also, Robin has been hit twice this season
and has charged the mound twice this season. Between Juan Gonzalez and Raphael
Palmeiro, they have been hit 20+ times this year and have charged the mound
0 times.

I am not giving opinions (IMHO).

Ira
Go Rangers.

IRA K BLUM

Aug 18, 1993, 6:03:19 PM8/18/93
oops, just read someone who was better informed. (not hard)

Ryan got charged by Winfield in 1980. I am also told that
he waited five years (while Winfield was in the AL) until the
1985 All-Star Game (????) before plunking him.

Ryan has the reputation, deservitavely (sp) of hitting alot of
batters, here in Texas, the mediots claim that's because he
came up in the 60's when guys like Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale
would hit a man for merely "digging in" at the plate.
He is also known to be a bit wild at times........

BTW, though I am glad he did not get ejected, he probably should have been.

Ira
Go Rangers

Rudy Wade

Aug 19, 1993, 12:05:23 PM8/19/93
In article <24u6tq$b...@news.utdallas.edu> ib...@utdallas.edu (IRA K BLUM) writes:
>I've been gone a long time from the net and have
>not been able to keep up, plus I only saw replays.

...but you would like to bless us with your unbiased opinion anyway, gee thanks.

>field and lynching him. The last player who had the gall to charge
>Ryan was Dave Winfield in 1985. Also, Robin has been hit twice this season

So much for facts. Did you make that up, or are you repeating something
you misheard on TV?

>I am not giving opinions (IMHO).

Sure, nothing like cold, hard facts.
--