Easton arrow shaft sizes.

Rick Corder (R)

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

Could somebody please tell me what the shaft numbers on Easton arrows
stand for? For example: 2314, 2315, 2413, 2514, etc.

Thanks

Rick Corder
rcor...@ford.com

Larry Diehr

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

The numbers on Easton (and all the other aluminum arrows I have
encountered) are understood as -

Given an arrow size (2314), 23 - 14

23/64th outside diameter

.014 wall thickness

All dimensions in inches

any alernative points of view out there?

--
Lawrence Diehr

Hywel Owen

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Rick Corder (R) wrote:

> Could somebody please tell me what the shaft numbers on Easton arrows
> stand for? For example: 2314, 2315, 2413, 2514, etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick Corder
> rcor...@ford.com

These numbers apply only to Aluminium tube shafts, and the convention
is often used by other Al arrow manufacturers.
The first 2 digits give the external shaft diameter in 64ths of an inch
The second 2 digits give the tube wall thickness in thousandths of an inch

e.g. 2314 is 23/64" external diameter, 14 thou wall thickness

The greater the diameter or the thicker the wall, the greater the stiffness
of the shaft. A VERY approximate rule of thumb is that if you go up in
diameter by 1, go down in wall thickness by 1 to preserve the same stiffness,
e.g. an 1814 shoots a bit like a 1913 or a 2012. Don't rely on this though, use
the Easton chart!

Some carbon shafts are labelled with a number indicating the Al shaft diameter
with an equivalent stiffness, e.g. a Beman DIVA 19 shoots a bit like a 1914/1916
Al shaft. If the number is in the hundreds, like on an ACE (e.g. 670), this is the
spine of the shaft determined by a standard method (see the Easton brochure). The
greater the number, the lower the stiffness, e.g. 670 is stiffer than 1400.

Hywel

| Hywel Owen Tel :+44 1925 603120 |
| Accelerator Physics Group Fax :+44 1925 603124 |
| Daresbury Laboratory mailto://h.o...@dl.ac.uk |
| Warrington WA4 4AD, UK http://accfiles.dl.ac.uk/staff/owen.html |

Danny West

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Rick Corder (R) wrote:

> Could somebody please tell me what the shaft numbers on Easton arrows
> stand for? For example: 2314, 2315, 2413, 2514, etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick Corder
> rcor...@ford.com

The first two digits ar the outside diameter of the shaft in 64th of an
inch, i.e., 2314 = 23/64ths of an inch O.D.

The last two digits are the wall thickness in thousandth of an inch,
i.e., 2314 = .14 inch wall thickness

Dan West

Stretch

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Danny West wrote:

> The last two digits are the wall thickness in thousandth of an inch,
> i.e., 2314 = .14 inch wall thickness

Surely that should be 0.014 inch wall thickness (14 thou not 14
hundredth). I know probably just a typo but we might as well get it
right.

Stretch

--
John Dickson,(aka Stretch) Hoyt Avalon, Carbon+ 70" 47#
Multimedia Guru? Gemini Stabilisers, Spiga Carbon 30