How come black men don't like to skydive?

Damon Eskarpov

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
How come black men don't like to skydive?

rita

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Ummmmm ... interesting question.

Problem is, though ... I didn't realize that they didn't like to.

Blue ones!

--rita

SBozo

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
>Subject: Re: How come black men don't like to skydive?
>From: rita <kr...@philly.infi.net>

>Problem is, though ... I didn't realize that they didn't like to.

Hey Let me ask my buddy Cecil ....he seems to be a black guy.....of course I
never asked him if he was. Better yet , let me just say He likes jumping every
bit as much as I do.
what a dumb question , geeezus

jim white guy?

Ed McCaffrey

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99

Damon Eskarpov wrote

>How come black men don't like to skydive?

i've seen black men skydive and all were serious about jumpin'

the better question... has anyone seen a black woman jumper (tandems
excluded)

trackin' in circles some days

Thom

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Their skin is much thicker, so they can't breath through their it, and would
therefore choke in freefall...

Damon Eskarpov <des...@hecnyyvr.com> wrote in message

Rhonda Lea

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
>the better question... has anyone seen a black woman jumper (tandems
>excluded)

There was a black woman skydiver who used to participate in this newsgroup in
1995. At the moment, her name eludes me.

The question is, however, legitimate. There are very few black skydivers of
either sex.

rl

Rhonda Lea Kirk A-29204
*~*
Love is not a feeling. Love is what you do.

RHallifax

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
>How come black men don't like to skydive?

There are about 6 responses to this original post now. Mort are "flip." One
talks about his buddy who's black and who skydives, as if to suggest that the
orginal post is stupid.

When Wesley Snipes said he wanted to jump in "Drop Zone" the woman said "you're
not a skydiver." And how could she tell? I'm not sure, but my answer was that
he's black. And it's true.

In my two years of skydiving, I have only met 2 skydivers (this excludes first
jump students) who were black. I use the past tense because one, most
unfortunately, was one of the 47 in 1998 who are no longer jumping with us.
My experience includes several large drop zones, including the World Free Fall
Convention and the U.S. Nationals in 1998.

Has anyone said that there are "no" black skydivers? No! But, there appear to
be very few, considering that black people represent about 12.5 % of the US
population.

I don't have the answer to the question. However, I suggest that the question
is legitimate. I'd be interested in the answer.

Blue Skies,

Bob

TooyT

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
>From: desmond@hecnyyvr.c

>(Damon Eskarpov)

Wrote:>How come black men don't like to skydive?
***********************************
I jumped with a black guy named Pat. No ebonics fum him his diction wuz clearer
than mine. So being a brilliant thinker I thinking maybe a lot of black people
skydive they just don't inform whitey or as gay wud say don't come out of the
closet, kinda like a lot of gay people skydive but they in the closet about it,
just look at the gay colors the WtbY's are wearing nowadays ha ha ha ha Augggg
ha ha ha ha ho ho I so damn funny I killing myself heer with avantguard
humor!!!! :-* snuffy

Anthropological Philosopher, Master Skydiver (Ret)
Be keerfull, I having 7 jumps
2 fixed wing crashs (Air Am P)
1 Huey crash (Blackcats P)
more than 7 misjudged canopy flares :-) country satire, coon hunter, father &
old stud muffin :-(P)

Jumpingboe

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Never gave it too much thought. I jumped with a black man that was in the
military, and is now in washington, dc, as a personal assistant to something or
other. jumped with another black man named gene (who i haven't seen in several
months), but we had some fun jumps together. i guess i never gave too much
thought to race, creed or color......
karen

Jakdeath7

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
>Subject: Re: How come black men don't like to skydive?
>From: rhal...@aol.com (RHallifax

>One>talks about his buddy who's black and who skydives, as if to suggest that
the
>orginal post is stupid.

Well gee Bob , I dint suggest anything
I said.............. "what a dumb question"
No suggestion there ...is there ?
Ya got two years in the sport.....Wow !
Ive jumped with a lot of black guys....they are susceptable to the same
problems the rest of you are , Wives , kids, jobs , gravity.
I dont have the answers......I still think its a dumb question.

jim D-10154 JM TM GW DW

Joseph L.Walther

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99

RHallifax <rhal...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >How come black men don't like to skydive?
>
> There are about 6 responses to this original post now. Mort are "flip."
One
> talks about his buddy who's black and who skydives, as if to suggest that
the
> orginal post is stupid.

Walther responds...

This media may not be the best place to get your answer. You are not the
first to receive "flip" answers to a post. I doubt that you will be the
last. The question is not stupid at all.

> When Wesley Snipes said he wanted to jump in "Drop Zone" the woman said
"you're
> not a skydiver." And how could she tell? I'm not sure, but my answer was
that
> he's black. And it's true.

Walther responds...

You do not know this for a fact. I know Wesley Snipes and he most definately
was NOT a skydiver and made no bones about it. He wanted to try it however.
When he said he wanted to jump in "Drop Zone", it was a part in a movie and
God only knows how she knew.

> Has anyone said that there are "no" black skydivers? No! But, there
appear to
> be very few, considering that black people represent about 12.5 % of the
US
> population.

Walther responds...

I have had the same experience relative to the civilian population. There
are very few civilian blacks who jump. However, there is no shortage of
black military members who jump, both Air Borne and Special Forces.

I do not know the answer. There are other endeavors that seem to be devoid
of blacks. Professional ice hockey comes to mind for one. Professional golf
has few blacks, although the number is substantially higher now than it was.
I believe there are approximately 7 black amature figure ice skaters. There
is only one black professional figure ice skater that I know of.

Relative to skydiving, however, I do not know the statistics and I do not
think anyone else does either.

Regards...

Walther

rita

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
For what it's worth ... and this is merely what others have told me ...

Perhaps it's a socio-economic "thing." Since it is only in the past decade or
so that many minority groups, such as Afro-Americans, have been climbing the
socio-economic ladder, perhaps the reason many blacks (as well as members of
other minority groups) don't skydive is simply because they, as a
generalization, lack the funds to do so?

Let's face it ... skydiving is not a cheap sport.

It has been pointed out to me in the past that many minority groups do not have
a high ratio of members participating in other "high overhead" sports either ...
sports such as skiing, SCUBA, etc.

Now, like I said ... this is merely what I was told ... several years ago, when
I sort of posed the same question.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? After all, there's no question ... there
is definitely a major shortage of good looking "brothas" on most of the drop
zones I've visited ... and in terms of black women ... well, to be honest, I can
only recall a couple of black female tandem students ... and never any AFF ones.

It's an interesting question ... no doubt about that ... and perhaps one that
there is really no definitive answer for.

Blue skies!

--rita

Joseph L.Walther

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99

Tandmterry <tandm...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Jim wrote;

> >Ya got two years in the sport.....Wow !
>
> Well put Jim. I have talked to this guy via e-mail, and it shows (two
years in
> the sport).

Walther responds...

What does the fact that he has two years in the sport have to do with the
question he asked? I have 35 years in the sport and, aside from the
military, have seen very few blacks in skydiving. I have no idea why other
than speculation. Two years, while not a lifetime, is a sufficient time to
make some observations.

Regards,

Walther

Joseph L.Walther

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99

TooyT <to...@aol.com> wrote in message
> ***********************************
> I remember two blackmen in the early 90's around SPX & SDH but they wuz
acting
> white :-) My old Gunnersmate buddy Tyrone frum the boats wudda called them
> Unkle Toms, but then again he called me Chump, Jethrow, Gomer Pile and a
dumb
> Hokey Cracker so whut did he know? he got kinda hot when he wuz trying to
teach
> me to do the high dap, we fell out of the boat, he sed white boys ain't
got no
> rhythm ha ha ha ha auggggggg ha ha ha ho shit it wuz funny, ewe just had
to be
> there heh heh :-(P) snuffy sez we wuz really tight but Tyrone was a Yankee
and
> cuddn't let on he had redneck buddys ha ha ha :-*

Walther responds...

I remember the boats well, Chief. Chump, Jethrow, Gomer Pile and several
dumb Hokey Crakers bailed my butt out more than once. How are things with
you, Snuffy?

Regards,

Walther

john berntsen

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
n' they made a movie " White men cant jump" ???

shitt..I knowa dawg made jump # 10.....n' 62

made # 11....TODAY.....oooooooooooooowhooooo!!

Iron...ya ain't gonna be able ta live wit me..Dog
:-) :-)

Mike D

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
funny..all those who replied to the original post "once jumped" with a black
person, or "once knew" a black skydiver -- out of all the jumps we do every
weekend (and weekdays for the lucky ones) only one or two occaisions seem to
stand out in peoples minds, suggesting that maybe diversity of race within
the sport is not that great?

Jumpingboe wrote in message
<19990523192438...@ng-ft1.aol.com>...

KCFREEFALL

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
> He likes jumping every
>bit as much as I do.
>what a dumb question , geeezus

Ditto: My FJC Instructor Larry Bird loved jumping as much or more then anyone.

Kevin Constantin

KCFREEFALL

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
> has anyone seen a black woman jumper

I have a Fresno Police Officer and his Daughter in a Static Line progresion
coarse right now and they both are doing PRCPs.very well as a matter of
fact.Also one of my mechanics at my shop and His wife both are goping to do the
AFF coarse this summer haveing both done Tandems and loved it.

Kevin Constantin
D-21022 USPA I 99
SnTA PA-4

SBozo

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
>Subject: Re: How come black men don't like to skydive?
>From: "Mike D"

>all those who replied to the original post "once jumped" with a black
>person, or "once knew" a black skydiver -

There ya go MIKE D not reading. I jump with My buddy and his lovely wife
quite regularly.....both of them have well over a 1000 jumps......so with that
said......

jim

Tandmterry

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Jim wrote;
>Ya got two years in the sport.....Wow !

Well put Jim. I have talked to this guy via e-mail, and it shows (two years in
the sport).

Tandmterry
RB#2

TooyT

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

***********************************
I remember two blackmen in the early 90's around SPX & SDH but they wuz acting
white :-) My old Gunnersmate buddy Tyrone frum the boats wudda called them
Unkle Toms, but then again he called me Chump, Jethrow, Gomer Pile and a dumb
Hokey Cracker so whut did he know? he got kinda hot when he wuz trying to teach
me to do the high dap, we fell out of the boat, he sed white boys ain't got no
rhythm ha ha ha ha auggggggg ha ha ha ho shit it wuz funny, ewe just had to be
there heh heh :-(P) snuffy sez we wuz really tight but Tyrone was a Yankee and
cuddn't let on he had redneck buddys ha ha ha :-*

TooyT

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Wrote:

>snuffy sez we wuz really tight but Tyrone was a Yankee
>and
>> cuddn't let on he had redneck buddys ha ha ha :-*
>

>Walther responds...
>
>I remember the boats well, Chief. Chump, Jethrow, Gomer Pile and several
>dumb Hokey Crakers bailed my butt out more than once. How are things with
>you, Snuffy?
>
>Regards,
>
>Walther
***********************************
I doing good fer a old honky on his last legs. kinda miss Tyrone and the other
brothers though he wudda took up my slack. But I tell ewe this I bet Tyrone
wouldn't skydive cuz he hated skygod types and wouldn't put up with people lakk
that no matter whut color they wuz but he lakked me allright he wuz trying to
teach me how to talk lakk a yankee and do that hand jive dap thing but it wuz
impossible !!!! :-) snuffy

Mike D

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
I think youre right, Rita -- even though socio-economic scales have tipped
to be a little more favourable over the past decade, maybe the mental
association with "low overhead" activities still exists for minority
groups-- for example, basketball -- "White Men Cant Jump" illustrated a
white persons attempt to break into a typically black-populated activity.

Maybe a few high-profile skydivers from these backgrounds would open things
up a bit?

mike d

Felipe

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Well, I'm from Bolivia a country located in the heart of South America, and
right in the middle of the magnificent Andes mountain, our Capital is La Paz
and is located at 3,600 meter ASL (10,800 ft ASL), but we have cities even
higher than that....anyway hundreds of years ago, when the Spaniards came to
this side of the world, they brought African slaves with them to work at
gold and silver mines, some located as high as 13,500 ft ASL. The black
slaves started to die from the altitude and to performe so badly that they
released them, the Spanish freed the slaves and the slaves settled in the
first tropical valley they found, that was when the Spaniards took my people
(think like the sherpas (natives of Nepal))as slaves and made them work for
them. That's why one don't see black people in my country (unless those who
live in one small village in a valley in the middle of the mountains), and
that's why you don't see them doing mountaineering. I remember my friend
telling me about something he read somewhere (Don't remember) about
something black people have in their blood that make them get sicker than
other people at high altitudes....if I find the source of this theory (and
if this thread is still alive) I'll let you know....

Blue Skies

Felipe.
Fel...@Iskydive.com
ICQ# 6150675

Thom

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
> > When Wesley Snipes said he wanted to jump in "Drop Zone" the woman said
> "you're
> > not a skydiver." And how could she tell? I'm not sure, but my answer
was
> that
> > he's black. And it's true.

It had nothing to do with Wesley being black, its the fact that he wore a
clean white suit, and he actually had money, a skydiver on the other hand
would probably show up in his jumpsuit with barely enough money to jump...

RHallifax

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
> I remember my friend
>telling me about something he read somewhere (Don't remember) about
>something black people have in their blood that make them get sicker than
>other people at high altitudes..

Black people suffer from a higher than normal incidence of "sickle cell
anemia." That's a genetic desease. The incidence is fairly high for some
areas of Africa, but I'm not sure what percentages are.... BTW, interesting
post.

Blue Skies,

Bob

kallend

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

100% of the black men that I've jumped with liked skydiving very much.
Those who don't jump probably have no basis for opinion one way or the
other. Your question was poorly framed - maybe a more legitimate
question is why are (pick any minority ethnic group) (pick any gender)
underrepresented in skydiving?

In article <19990523180126...@ng-fv1.aol.com>,

--
www.iit.edu/~kallend

Peanut4040

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
>Their skin is much thicker, so they can't breath through their it, and would
>therefore choke in freefall...

laughing,, quit kidding these people, you know they have better gills on the
back of their ears for this!!

evo...@my-dejanews.com

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Some of these replies are pushing the limits of racism. And I would
sincerely hope that if anyone is seriously interested that their
curiosity be of the social sort and not from the damaging and negative
perspective of racism. Some comments on this go beyond good taste. No
doubt this whole discussion is among whites. I think Rita has the idea
when she says it's the socio-economic thing. But please, if you're
really interested, please keep theracist tones out. It really spoils the
intellectual pursuits of the others and maybe serves to assure fewer
minorities from getting started. For my money racists, bigots,
homophobes (heterosexualists), testosterone overloaded boors and in
general those who find superiority only in themselves and their own kind
can either go in or leave. In article
<3748B7A4...@philly.infi.net>,
> Joseph L.Walther wrote:
>
> > I have had the same experience relative to the civilian population.
There
> > are very few civilian blacks who jump. However, there is no shortage
of
> > black military members who jump, both Air Borne

Jennifer Richter

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
I've seen black men and women skydiving.

Jen

>Damon Eskarpov wrote

>>How come black men don't like to skydive?
>

>i've seen black men skydive and all were serious about jumpin'
>
>the better question... has anyone seen a black woman jumper (tandems
>excluded)
>
>trackin' in circles some days

Flyincamra

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
>I've seen black men and women skydiving.
>
>Jen
>>
>>Damon Eskarpov wrote
>>>How come black men don't like to skydive?

My BF is black and he doesn't want to jump. Nothing to do with money.... has a
good job with HP.
He doesn't want to jump 'cause he's chicken! All dark meat chicken! :-)~~~

Jan

Jeweljumps

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

>(Damon Eskarpov)

>How come black men don't like to skydive?

Lumping all blacks together by saying "they don't like to skydive" is judging
them before you have individual facts...this is known as
pre-judging...prejudice, rasism, bigotry. I sugest you re examine your own
motivation.
Allen H. Williams D-8066

Stephen

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

Damon Eskarpov wrote

>How come black men don't like to skydive?

So that's what all the arm twisting was about at CSS. Imagine forcing
someone to be a TM just to get a PC quota in the work force.

White, black, red, and yellow jumpers,
Steve F.

But who was that little green FF'er?

Winsor Naugler III

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Jennifer Richter wrote in message <7ibhta$21...@icet.net.nih.gov>...

>I've seen black men and women skydiving.

That wasn't the point. I doubt if you need two hands to count the black
regulars, male or female, you have encountered. From what I've seen, you
would be hard pressed to have enough of a presence to organize an all black
8-way at the Convention out of the thousands of jumpers there.

One thing I've noticed is that the social stratum represented by the blacks
in the sport is the well-educated upper middle class at a minimum, and I
have yet to meet any of the uptown nouveau riche on any DZ. For some
reason, even though the Airborne was fairly representative cross section of
society, I have seen few blacks gravitate to the sport from the silver wing
set.

There are rather a few people with whom I have nothing in common socially
(different church, political persuasion, occupation, etc.) off the drop zone
who I would pick on the first round to be on my team for 16 way scrambles.
I don't care if you deal dope or Mazdas, are with SOG or the IRA, are a nun
or a male prostitute; if you can be trusted to fly your slot and keep it
safe you're in.

Personally, I'd prefer to live in a more color-blind a society, where the
differences between various groups was more superficial than it, in fact,
is. Unfortunately, I suspect the underrepresentation on the DZ of 1/8 of
our society is reflective of other very fundamental differences.

Blue skies,

Winsor

AL DELLA PENNA JR

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
It is an interesting question , I know we have a black JM at our DZ
named Cris (an unbelievable jumper ) but I havent even seen too many
FJC black students. The same appears in SCUBA diving , I was a NAVY
diver for 6 years and at that time there were only 5 black divers
listed. Even in hobby diving , how many black divers have you seen out
there? Cant answer that , ill have to ask Cris , but im sure he'll say
something like " oh my god am I black? "

blue ones
AL (REVID)

rita wrote:

> Ummmmm ... interesting question.
>
> Problem is, though ... I didn't realize that they didn't like to.
>
> Blue ones!
>
> --rita

Rhonda Lea

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
How can you say that some of the replies are pushing the limits of racism, and
then label it a socio-economic thing?

rl

James

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
I remember this kinda thread from a while back. I think it was black
TM's that were discussed, or looked for. (as in, are there any)

I haven't asked Mike Anderson if he is black, he does appear to be
though and he is a TM also. I would hazard to guess that he has been
jumping a lot longer than a lot of us here on the ng. His number...D9493
That is what he signed my 100th jump with.

Still"C"Learning,
James Johnson

James

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Way to go John! Did you get any pic's of the jump?
I want to hear you jumped that old "dragged out of the moo-zeum" round
that I have a still of you, from way back when only birds flew.

Congrats dog, stay away from Gretchen she donna like dogs jumping ;)

james

kallend

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

In article <19990523230028...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,

tandm...@aol.com (Tandmterry) wrote:
> Jim wrote;
> >Ya got two years in the sport.....Wow !
>

> Well put Jim. I have talked to this guy via e-mail, and it shows (two
years in
> the sport).
>
> Tandmterry
> RB#2

OK, how many years of observation DOES it take before one can conclude
that there are very few black males at drop zones around the world?

Over the last two years I estimate that I have seen around 8000 jumps
made at drop zones within 80 miles of major metropolitan areas that have
large minority populations. I think I have witnessed about 10 jumps by
African Americans in that set. By any standard you choose, this gives
a high degree of confidence that black males are underrepresented in
skydiving, and extending the observation time to 20 years is unlikely to
improve the data.

Stereotyping as to what black males "don't like" is altogether
different, and is really quite meaningless.

--
www.iit.edu/~kallend

kallend

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
OH - what about the Ethiopeans and Kenyans? Maybe you don't remember the
Mexico City Olympics, and runners like Abebe Bikela and Kip Keino who
were unbeatable in track events at high altitude venues.

In article <7iat9k$2qo4$1...@newssvr01-int.news.prodigy.com>,

RHallifax

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
From kallend:

> Your question was poorly framed - maybe a more legitimate
>question is why are (pick any minority ethnic group) (pick any gender)
>underrepresented in skydiving?

Of course, you are exactly correct. The question should be, why are black
people underrepresented? Out of 4700 skydivers at Quincy in 1998, I was
actually very surprised to only see one black man. That was James DePena, who
had an unfortunate skydiving accident shortly afterward.

Lets see if I can stir up another hornet's nest: I noticed there were a lot of
Japanese women at Quincy. Now, I don't know a lot about Japanese culture. But
I'd been led to believe that the Japanese are very paternalistic. So I was
surprised to see so many Japanese women. This leads me to believe there's
probably much about the dynamics of Japanese society that I don't understand.
And this leads me to ask questions if ever in the right conversation with the
right people so that I can obtain some additional insight to their culture.

As with Winsor, I'm in favor of diversity. But it seems to me that skydivers
(my casual observation of skydivers as a group, speaking in very general terms)
don't give as much of a hang about the conventions and traditions of society
as do others. When it comes to getting together, what seems most important is
whether or not you just simply want to skydive. The few black people I have
seen in skydiving, fit that category: they're simply accepted as skydivers and
nothing else. As a result, I find it mildly interesting that black people
seem to be underrepresented in the sport.

Blue Skies,

Bob

David

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
On 24 May 1999 16:29:02 GMT, rhal...@aol.com (RHallifax) said:

(some good stuff)

Yeah Bob, but what do you know? You only have two years in the sport.
I, on the other hand, have eight and a half years in the sport, so I
know exactly 4.25 times as much as you do. Feel free to ask me any
questions. If I don't know the answer I'll ask someone with at least
ten years in the sport; they should know pretty much everything about,
well, pretty much everything.

:-)

David

Rob

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

What you are talking about is sickle cell anemia......A genetic trait.
Genetic defect is in this case a relative term. It´s an adaptive trait
immune to malaria or the disease takes a much more less severe course.
Sickle cell anemia is a deformity of a certain percentage of the red
blood cells. These are the cells the malaria parasite invades. This
deformity prevents infection by the parasite. Sickle cell anemia was
discoved in the US. I think during the second world war when black
paratroopers showed symptoms of oxygen starvation. I´m not sure what
percentage of blacks have sickle cell anemia. I suppose that in Africa
the percentage would be higher in areas with a high incidence of
malaria.

Rob

BluSkyBD

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

seen a lot more suits at the DZ than people of color. Usually guys anxious to
go from work to the DZ.

TooyT

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Wrote:

>How can you say that some of the replies are pushing the limits of racism,
>and
>then label it a socio-economic thing?
>
>rl

>evo...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>>Some of these replies are pushing the limits of racism. And I would
>>sincerely hope that if anyone is

>seriously interested that their
>>curiosity be of the social sort and not from the damaging and negative
>>perspective of racism. Some comments on this go beyond good taste. No

***********************************
Yawl know life is a series of value judgements. I git down to the fine line of
life's judgements from a buda-kai warriors values once and a while. Being a ole
southern boy, military service, War and skydiving has changed me radically
While skydiving I jumped with Blacks, Asians, Mexicans, Queers all matter of
people. The fact they were skydivers and we had that in common negated all the
minor differences. I rukun it was the sissy ass buy their way in yuppies I just
couldn't stomicn and the momma's boys and the RW Queens with an Ax to grind for
all their failed relationships in life. All my uncles were in the KKK but I
learned what it ment to be a second class citizen in the late 60's and found
that the blacks out on the line with me bled red too and we had a hell of a lot
in common besides the military. It was my redneck humor the brothers had a hard
time understanding, can ewe immagine being trapped on a 13 month tour with me?
ha ha ha ha yeah we wuz all lower middle class americans. Thats who bore the
burden of war for America in those days and although their were race problems
in the rear out on the line we wuz tight as ticks, skin color didn't matter as
much as can ewe hump your load, stand your watch, can I depend on you? will you
stand with me to the end? We were more leary of things like is the guy in my
Squadron, on my boat, on my CG team, is he honorable what rate does he carry
Yeh its true we looked down on Snipes Airdales E.T.'s, Yoemen and REMF's but
became tighter with our traditional enemy the Marines. So when I came home from
the war none of my peers thought me normal or exceptible and my Unkles were
calling me a Nigger lover ha ha ha life is a paradox, skydiving exemplifies its
inconsistencies but I have to say most of my quirks were excepted by the
skydiving community even though their were skygods calling for my blood just
like the war protesters and other unhappy hate groups did in 1969/70. So I'm
still predjdice against yuppies and fairy hippie colors and unhappy people no
matter what their color. :-* snuffy

General Stark

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
evo...@my-dejanews.com came out of hiding to expound:

> Some of these replies are pushing the limits of racism. And I would

I would be interested in knowing which ones you refer to (the "thicker
skin" joke, perhaps?) just so I could learn what is considered borderline
racist for future reference. (No joke, I'm seriously interested.)

<SNIP>

> minorities from getting started. For my money racists, bigots,
> homophobes (heterosexualists), testosterone overloaded boors and in

I think homophobia and heterosexism are two different concepts.
Homophobia is an irrational fear of gay people, whereas heterosexism (from
what I gather) is more the assumption of heterosexuality, that everyone is
straight until proven otherwise. Just my $.02.

Soft openings,
Marty

cr...@mailcity.com

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

before it is perceived, reality is bent by a prism. we all have one,
here is what i saw in mine

In article <7ibkhn$5...@sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>,

"Winsor Naugler III" <dog...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> There are rather a few people with whom I have nothing in common
socially
> (different church, political persuasion, occupation, etc.) off the
drop zone
> who I would pick on the first round to be on my team for 16 way
scrambles.
> I don't care if you deal dope or Mazdas, are with SOG or the IRA, are
a nun
> or a male prostitute; if you can be trusted to fly your slot and keep
it
> safe you're in.

from across a crowded hangar, it's tough to tell what somebody does for
a living, or what their political affiliation is. they're just another
white guy.

> Personally, I'd prefer to live in a more color-blind a society, where
the
> differences between various groups was more superficial than it, in
fact,
> is. Unfortunately, I suspect the underrepresentation on the DZ of 1/8
of
> our society is reflective of other very fundamental differences.

primal differences. this goes to an instictive level. we are, as nature
intended, suspicious of things that are different. when we get to the DZ
we are all the same, we are skydivers.

when fresh off, and even before we are off student status we strive to
be accepted by, and gain approval from "the tribe". a very difficult
task. many who fervently wish to belong are unable to accomplish their
goal. in order to belong we may keep many opinions to ourselves. nobody
can tell if we're liberal or conservative, straight or gay just by
looking at us, and if keeping our mouth shut means acceptance we wont
talk. in other words, we can hide our fundamental differences, "the
tribe" cannot see them. when you add to that situation a highly visible
difference, the task of gaining acceptance is nearly insurmountable.
many of us, including myself would like to believe that we don't judge
people for their skin color, but all of us know that it's the first
thing we notice. especially at the DZ, you know, the place where
everyone is the same.

don't get angry at cheese
paul j

> Blue skies,
>
> Winsor

Martin Evans

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Damn Rhonda,

I was just going to post the same thing. We better be careful, we can't
start agreeing on things that would ruin the whole tone of the
newsgroup! ;-)

Blue ones,
Stay safe.

Martin Evans.

Rhonda Lea wrote in message
<19990524105319...@ng-fi1.aol.com>...
>How can you say that some of the replies are pushing the limits of

racism, and
>then label it a socio-economic thing?
>
>rl
>
>evo...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>

>>Some of these replies are pushing the limits of racism. And I would

>>sincerely hope that if anyone is seriously interested that their
>>curiosity be of the social sort and not from the damaging and negative
>>perspective of racism. Some comments on this go beyond good taste. No

>>doubt this whole discussion is among whites. I think Rita has the idea
>>when she says it's the socio-economic thing. But please, if you're
>>really interested, please keep theracist tones out. It really spoils
the
>>intellectual pursuits of the others and maybe serves to assure fewer

>>minorities from getting started. For my money racists, bigots,
>>homophobes (heterosexualists), testosterone overloaded boors and in

Martin Evans

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

James wrote in message <37497E40...@bellsouth.net>...

I know Mike, he's been on a few of my loads, he's a good jumper with
a few thousand skydives behind him. Didn't realize he was black, I
thought he was an American! :-]

Blue ones,
Stay Safe.

Martin Evans.

For information about Sky-Eye Skydiving Services please visit our
website at:

http://www.skyeyeskydiving.com

after browsing please follow the link to Skydive Sebastian.

"Never confuse movement with action". Ernest Hemingway

Rhonda Lea

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Worse yet, it's not even beer. We did it once before about a year ago. ;)

rl

ynot...@my-dejanews.com

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <19990523172547...@ng-ft1.aol.com>,
sb...@aol.com (SBozo) wrote:

> Better yet , let me just say He likes jumping every
> bit as much as I do.
> what a dumb question , geeezus

My friend J.G. III was across the 8-way launched base from me in a State
record a couple years ago.

He looked like he was having fun.

Hey, we all were.

- tony
"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a bit
longer."
-- Henry Kissinger

-

RHallifax

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
From: davidefs:

>Yeah Bob, but what do you know? You only have two years in the sport.
>I, on the other hand, have eight and a half years in the sport, so I
>know exactly 4.25 times as much as you do. Feel free to ask me any
>questions. If I don't know the answer I'll ask someone with at least
>ten years in the sport; they should know pretty much everything about,
>well, pretty much everything.
>
>:-)
>
>David

Okay, Okay..... ah.,,, let me think... Ok Dave, I've got a hard one for
you: "what's my name?" The week's only just started so take your time
'cipherin that jem.....

ROFL.....

BTW, are we novices gonna see you again this year in Quincy?

Blue Skies,

Bob

USPA Skydiver

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
The reason is clear you dummies, the majority of blacks don't fall into high
paying salaries the white enjoy. Got it? Don't have much money to enjoy
other activities, but basketball!!

USPA Skydiver

blue_an...@my-dejanews.com

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <7ibku4$v3v$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

evo...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Some of these replies are pushing the limits of racism. And I would
> sincerely hope that if anyone is seriously interested that their
> curiosity be of the social sort and not from the damaging and negative
> perspective of racism. Some comments on this go beyond good taste. No
> doubt this whole discussion is among whites.

<Snip a lot of other Politically Correct mumbo-jumbo>

Well, now you've all gone and done it. The Thought Police just showed
up...!!!

I agree with Rita. It's a matter of culture and economics. After all,
skydivers themselves are a tiny minority...

Not only that, but I heard a news reportlast year that said the gov't
is concerned because the demographics of the national parks showed that
it's mostly white folk that attend them. I have no doubt that some
Federal bureaucrat is wondering what he can do to remedy THAT.

B/\J

USPA Skydiver

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
AND I AM THE 14 YEAR OLD TROLL, HUH?

Bunch of grown-up skydivers? Rhonda, please, shut-up too, you sound like a
racist.

Peanut4040

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
LAUGHING,, you really want skydivers to shut up,, say

dooorrrr
exit exit exit

Moronboyyy

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
>AND I AM THE 14 YEAR OLD TROLL, HUH?
>
>Bunch of grown-up skydivers? Rhonda, please, shut-up too, you sound like a
>racist.

Wow it sounds like someone is having a temper tantrum, is the newsgroup finally
getting to you ??

Povl H. Pedersen

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
on Mon, 24 May 1999 13:41:24 GMT
evo...@my-dejanews.com <evo...@my-dejanews.com> transmitted:

>Some of these replies are pushing the limits of racism. And I would
>sincerely hope that if anyone is seriously interested that their
>curiosity be of the social sort and not from the damaging and negative
>perspective of racism. Some comments on this go beyond good taste. No
>doubt this whole discussion is among whites. I think Rita has the idea
>when she says it's the socio-economic thing. But please, if you're
>really interested, please keep theracist tones out. It really spoils the
>intellectual pursuits of the others and maybe serves to assure fewer
>minorities from getting started. For my money racists, bigots,
>homophobes (heterosexualists), testosterone overloaded boors and in
>general those who find superiority only in themselves and their own kind
>can either go in or leave.

In Denmark the muslims have a crime rate that is twice that of the average
danish citizen. Is it racism to say so ? To say that muslims in average
are more criminal ? And any 2nd generation is just as bad.

It is a published statistical fact.

I do not think that this is because they are bad people, but rather that
this happens a result of something else. They are looked down upon, and
they make less money / live on welfare. They do not have good jobs etc.

I also think that you see so few black skydivers in the USA is mostly
related to money. The average black person makes much less money than the
average white person I guess. It has nothing to do with skydiving, but
with your system.

PS: For some reason, I think that it is strange that the asians in
Denmark are involved in so little crime. They might have some better
way to raise their kids, or maybe they just keep too much to themself.
I guess they make less crime than danes.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - Skydiver
110 jumps - 1h 23m 36s freefall

satc...@aljaber.aorcentaf.af.mil

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <3749811d....@news.ionet.net>,

davi...@ionet.net wrote:
> On 24 May 1999 16:29:02 GMT, rhal...@aol.com (RHallifax) said:
>
> (some good stuff)
>
> Yeah Bob, but what do you know? You only have two years in the sport.
> I, on the other hand, have eight and a half years in the sport, so I
> know exactly 4.25 times as much as you do. Feel free to ask me any
> questions. If I don't know the answer I'll ask someone with at least
> ten years in the sport; they should know pretty much everything about,
> well, pretty much everything.
>
> :-)
>
> David

So you'll be asking Bill Von, then?

Peanut4040

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

David

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
On 24 May 1999 18:12:04 GMT, rhal...@aol.com (RHallifax) said:

>From: davidefs:
>>Yeah Bob, but what do you know? You only have two years in the sport.
>>I, on the other hand, have eight and a half years in the sport, so I
>>know exactly 4.25 times as much as you do. Feel free to ask me any
>>questions. If I don't know the answer I'll ask someone with at least
>>ten years in the sport; they should know pretty much everything about,
>>well, pretty much everything.

>Okay, Okay..... ah.,,, let me think... Ok Dave, I've got a hard one for
>you: "what's my name?" The week's only just started so take your time
>'cipherin that jem.....
>
>ROFL.....
>
>BTW, are we novices gonna see you again this year in Quincy?

But of course, Ron. That is, as long as they'll still let me in there
with my B license. Hey, Rod, do you remember the Firesign Theater? 5
seconds, Bob.

David

Rhonda Lea

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Someone said (it doesn't matter who because a bunch of people are saying the
same thing):

>I also think that you see so few black skydivers in the USA is mostly
>related to money. The average black person makes much less money than the
>average white person I guess. It has nothing to do with skydiving, but
>with your system.

This makes me want to tear my hair out. I believe that it is only in very
recent years that a larger percentage of skydivers have happened to be
economically advantaged. And I still know quite a few skydivers who are pretty
poor--including me, the white, female, single parent of a teenager.

For a long time, there weren't a lot of women in skydiving, and although our
ranks are growing, we're still in a minority. Is that related to economics?

I work for a law firm, and I do about 400 real estate closings a year. I know a
lot of black men and women who are out-earning me by a wide margin.

But that hasn't inspired them to offer to buy, or me to offer to sell, my rig.

rl

Mick Cooper

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
As a Brit I'm amazed that you felt you had to ask this question. What amazes
me more is some of the answers - I started to lose the will to live reading
some of them - some of you people need to look carefully at the way you live
and think.

I really thought the Brits were pretty far behind in their mind set on the
colour issue but for a supposedly progressive nation you Americans need to
sharpen your act up. Its no wonder that so many of you need councelling.

Go out and get a life, the one you're using is being wasted.

To the more liberal and mature minded - thanks for speaking up , its nice to
see that some sanity exists in the most powerful nation on earth.

Burt - if you're reading this - I apologise on behalf of the Americans who
have their head up their arses (sorry - asses)

There have to be more important things to waste web time on

Mick
Damon Eskarpov wrote in message <7i9p9l$9hv$4...@newsfeed.smartt.com>...
>How come black men don't like to skydive?

Winsor Naugler III

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
David wrote in message <3749bbcf....@news.ionet.net>...

<snip>

Hey, Rod, do you remember the Firesign Theater? 5
>seconds, Bob.

I once passed a Chemical Engineering exam by referencing Testical's Deviant
to Fudd's Law of Opposition: "What goes in must come out."

Hey, it works at steady state.

Blue skies,

Winsor

RHallifax

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Mick, waving the Union Jack, wrote:
> but for a supposedly progressive nation you Americans need to
>sharpen your act up.

[and]

>There have to be more important things to waste web time on

It appears you have penned two false assumptions: (1) Americans are progressive
and (2) we have more important things to do.

Where'd you get them funny ideas? .... Hey, don't ever forget: we elected
Clinton....that, in itself, should give you good insight. LOL

Blue skies,

Bob

cr...@mailcity.com

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to ceo_ter...@yahoo.com
In article <O0IbA#hp#GA.341@cpmsnbbsa02>,

"Schmuckmeister" <ceo_ter...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> AND I AM THE 14 YEAR OLD TROLL, HUH?
>
> Bunch of grown-up skydivers? Rhonda, please, shut-up too, you sound
like a
> racist.

why?

cr...@mailcity.com

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
to ceo_ter...@yahoo.com
In article <uH2zKuhp#GA.140@cpmsnbbsa02>,

"Superschmuck" <ceo_ter...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The reason is clear you dummies,

why?

the majority of blacks don't fall
into high
> paying salaries the white enjoy.

why?

Got it? Don't have much money to
enjoy
> other activities, but basketball!!

why?

> USPA Schmuckdiver

Jeweljumps

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
>The reason is clear you dummies, the majority of blacks don't fall into high
>paying salaries the white enjoy. Got it? Don't have much money to enjoy
>other activities, but basketball!!
>
>USPA Skydiver

More blatant raceism.
Allen H. Williams D-8066

Trowen

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
You are all talking about jumpsuits, right?

Blue Skies, Blonde roots
Terri
A-30014
BadFan#3
KDFC#3
NCB#315
TDD#7

Homepage: http://members.aol.com/Trowen
DropShop: http://24.1.74.5/dropshop.html

Explaining Skydiving to a whuffo is like explaining sex to a virgin! ~Me

skyd...@bellsouth.net

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
dont know we had 30 plus black people at or DZ they all jumped some even
twice the same day

skyd...@bellsouth.net

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
dont know why but do know that ive been asked the same question by black
women, some suggest orniate fear of height

kallend wrote:

> 100% of the black men that I've jumped with liked skydiving very much.
> Those who don't jump probably have no basis for opinion one way or the
> other. Your question was poorly framed - maybe a more legitimate
> question is why are (pick any minority ethnic group) (pick any gender)
> underrepresented in skydiving?
>
> In article <19990523180126...@ng-fv1.aol.com>,

> rhal...@aol.com (RHallifax) wrote:
> > >How come black men don't like to skydive?
> >

> > There are about 6 responses to this original post now. Mort are
> "flip." One
> > talks about his buddy who's black and who skydives, as if to suggest
> that the
> > orginal post is stupid.
> >

> --
> www.iit.edu/~kallend

Martin Evans

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

Peanut4040 wrote in message
<19990524160022...@ng-cg1.aol.com>...

>LAUGHING,, you really want skydivers to shut up,, say
>
>dooorrrr
> exit exit exit
believe me, sometimes that just ain't enough to do it! ;-)

BO
SS

john berntsen

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Hey Jim......went the route, video n' stills
havent seen the vid yet.... but the stills. got maby 1 outta 24 thats
worthy of reproducing.

No dint jump a round....my reserve was... but didnt
have ta use it........stood it up (Youse guys are really spoiled)......
till the past caught up with me n' meediatelly dropped ta one knee, in
case D- 138 wuz watchin :--)...I made 2 sets, I'll send ja one.

Gretchen huh, ain't she the Shania Twain lookin sweetie .....Gretchin,
were all dogs oooooooowooo!

John..Funny email jim, if it wasn't so true :-)
thought I was the only one troubled by that malady
guess home is where the shit house is' huh ?...... Ha ha harr!

Mike D

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

USPA Skydiver wrote in message ...

>AND I AM THE 14 YEAR OLD TROLL, HUH?
>
>Bunch of grown-up skydivers? Rhonda, please, shut-up too, you sound like a
>racist.

Actually I thought it was a pretty interesting discussion, USPA.

SBozo

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
>Subject: Re: EVERYONE - SHUT-UP AND JUMP

>> Bunch of grown-up skydivers? Rhonda, please, shut-up too, you sound
>like a
>> racist.

Ya know USPA Skydiver, we all know you are an idiot.....but how could you
come to the conclusion Rhonda was sounding like a racist?
Shes' one of the calmer heads here (hothead maybe LOL) but always concise and
certainly not racist.
As for your being fourteen.....I'm guessing 17 and not going to progress much

jim

David

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
On Mon, 24 May 1999 23:52:04 GMT, cr...@mailcity.com said:

>why?

Why not?

David

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
On Mon, 24 May 1999 23:58:19 GMT, cr...@mailcity.com said:

>why?

Why not?

>why?

Why not?

>why?

Why not?

:-P

SBozo

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
>Subject: Re: How come black men don't like to skydive?
>From: "USPA Skydiver"

>The reason is clear you dummies,
>the majority of blacks don't fall into high
>paying salaries the white enjoy.

Now that pisses me off Little Colonel
When am I 'spose to get all this money ?
I once told Snuffy kiddingly he was full of shit
Im telling you in all seriousness.................. YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT !

jim poor white guy

acs...@ultima.packetloss.com

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

OK... I'm probably gonna put my foot in it somewhere in this post,
\but WTF....

After i made my first jump, I talked to any and everyone about it.
At that time, I worked in a garage, where most everyone but me
was black. All of the guys I talked to ( except one ) said that
they had more sense than to jump out of an airplane. The white people
I know look at it and say, "hey.. that might be fun" So I'm gonna
have to agree partially with Rita, and say that it's a social thing.

Blue skies

Skip
A-32611

Rhonda Lea

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Darling Davy wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 1999 23:52:04 GMT, cr...@mailcity.com said:

>>why?

>Why not?

ynotssor?

rl

Drunk Boy

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Well, as if there was not enough bullshit on this ng, now we have to
involve racism. As anyone who knows me can verify I am one of the most
racially tolerant people you will meet. Actually I hate everyone equally.
But I have trudged through all the postings about this particular thread. I
see no evidence of this woman sounding like a racist. USPA Skydiver
sounding like an idiot maybe, but certainly no racism. I guess some people
can read ignorance into anything if they try hard
enough........................Ralph

cr...@mailcity.com wrote in article <7icon2$pun$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

> In article <O0IbA#hp#GA.341@cpmsnbbsa02>,
> "Schmuckmeister" <ceo_ter...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > AND I AM THE 14 YEAR OLD TROLL, HUH?
> >

> > Bunch of grown-up skydivers? Rhonda, please, shut-up too, you sound
> like a
> > racist.
>

> why?

David

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
A friend of mine sent me this, and I don't know where he got it or how
accurate it is, but it sounds about right. I met him on the Montel
show; he was the one who's wife tried to hire a hit man to kill him
(Nabeel). I don't think his wife was prejudiced, she just didn't like
him.

Anyway, I just thought it was kind of interesting. Notice any other
under-represented (or, more poignantly {at the bottom}, over
represented) groups in skydiving?

If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely
100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, it
would look like this:

There would be:

57 Asians
21 Europeans
14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
8 Africans

52 would be female
48 would be male

70 would be non-white
30 would be white

70 would be non-Christian
30 would be Christian

89 would be heterosexual
11 would be homosexual

6 people would possess 59% of the entire world's wealth and
all 6 would be from the United States

80 would live in substandard housing
70 would be unable to read
50 would suffer from malnutrition
1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
1 would have a college education

1 would own a computer

Peanut4040

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
>Well, as if there was not enough bullshit on this ng, now we have to
>involve racism. As anyone who knows me can verify I am one of the most
>racially tolerant people you will meet.

laughing,, i hate everybody thats not "peanuts of latter day saints" but
LLLL,, daddy was baptist preacher, so i give them a break too

Message has been deleted

AFF Student

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
There is an African folk tale that says Blacks used to be able to fly
before the Europeans came to Africa. There must have been great
interest in human flight in order for this tale to have been passed on
for so many generations. Their current lack of interest in skydiving
(and high risk activities in general) has to do with the risk averse
Black value system that developed in post-slavery America.

I haven't heard of any skydivers among the Black elite (i.e. Black
families that were worth millions since the 1800's), so money isn't the
issue. The "new money" Black upper middle class might be growing, but
they need to buy they are more likely to buy ba horse or a boat instead
of a rig.

skyd...@bellsouth.net wrote:

> dont know why but do know that ive been asked the same question by black
> women, some suggest orniate fear of height
>
> kallend wrote:
>
> > 100% of the black men that I've jumped with liked skydiving very much.
> > Those who don't jump probably have no basis for opinion one way or the
> > other. Your question was poorly framed - maybe a more legitimate
> > question is why are (pick any minority ethnic group) (pick any gender)
> > underrepresented in skydiving?

> > > There are about 6 responses to this original post now. Mort are
> > "flip." One
> > > talks about his buddy who's black and who skydives, as if to suggest
> > that the
> > > orginal post is stupid.
> > >

> > --
> > www.iit.edu/~kallend

rita

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Well ... let's just say that I like my explanation far better than that of my
poppa ...

One nice Sunday evening ... back in the summer of '97 ... the folks swing by
Cross Keys to pick me up after one of my tandem jumps. They were on the way
home from the Atlantic City casinos. Dad was a bit annoyed because mom (the
gambler in the family) dropped a bundle. Oops!

Walking onto the dz, dad immediately went in search of me. He was tired and
wanted to get the hell home. Neither the Atlantic City casinos nor drop zones
were his cup of tea.

Dad quickly finds me, in my usual position ... I'm holding court on the back
deck ... regaling the tandem students with my personal evaluations of each tm on
the Cross Keys staff ... from buns to brains ... and everything in between.

After catching my eye, he signaled me to basically "can it" and "let's go."
Walking through the hanger, on the way out to the parking lot, dad notices a
rather nice looking black man ... packing his rig. On the floor beside him lay
a skyboard.

I noticed him too ... and wasn't shy about oogling.

"What the hell is that thing?" asked poppa, somewhat incredulously. "And stop
staring! Don't you know that's impolite?"

Oops! Thank God dad didn't realize I had my eyes fixed firmly on his ass, as it
was sticking up in the air as my "SkyGod of Color" was trying to squeeze every
ounce of trapped air out of his ZP canopy. It's so nice how they design those
ZP canopies ... to take so long to get all of the air out of them!

"Why, daddy ... that's his 'surfboard' ... only instead of surfing on the ocean,
he surfs the air." Reluctantly, I had forced my attention back to more
"appropriate" matters. :(

No verbal response on dad's part was necessary. His expression said it all.

"And, besides," I whispered. "Ain't he just to die for? So cute! Wish there
were more cute black guys on this drop zone," I added. "Christ! Sometimes a
little variety goes a long way to spice up one's life."

Still no response from poppa ... he's continuing to mull over the "surf the air
currents" comment. He's not quite sure if I'm just rattling his chains or not.

"Wonder why we don't have more black men in this sport," I continued. I had my
own issues to mull ... as dad mulled his.

Lured out of his reverie by the seriousness of my philosophical questions
regarding Afro American participation in our fine sport ... not to mention the
additional cute bods for me to feast my eyes on ... dad decided to ponder my
question for a bit ... and perhaps impart some of the wisdom of his 83 years on
this earth to me.

"Why aren't there more blacks in the sport? More specifically, young,
well-built, "cute" black men?" dad echoed. "PERHAPS BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE
GODDAMNED SENSE THAN YOU'LL EVER HAVE?!?!"

Oh, well ... guess I couldn't argue with that. :(

But I sure wish some of the less sensible ones would join us on the dz. You're
right ... just a few high profile minorities would open the sport up quite a bit
... not to mention provide for a bit of diversity ... and a lot of fun ... on
the drop zone for all of us. :)

Blue ones!

--rita

Mike D wrote:

> Maybe a few high-profile skydivers from these backgrounds would open things
> up a bit?

rita

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Yep! I was the one looking. :)

God, I'm incorrigible, huh? :(

Blue ones!

--rita

James wrote:

> I remember this kinda thread from a while back. I think it was black
> TM's that were discussed, or looked for. (as in, are there any)

rita

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Ummmmm ... what dz is he based out of?

Ya think ... maybe ... the next time I'm in Florida ... ???? :)

Blue ones!

--rita

James wrote:

> I haven't asked Mike Anderson if he is black, he does appear to be
> though and he is a TM also. I would hazard to guess that he has been
> jumping a lot longer than a lot of us here on the ng. His number...D9493
> That is what he signed my 100th jump with.

TooyT

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

Ranting at USPA Skydiver wrote:

>Now that pisses me off Little Colonel
>When am I 'spose to get all this money ?
>I once told Snuffy kiddingly he was full of shit
>Im telling you in all

>seriousness.................. YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT !
>
> jim poor white guy

***********************************
HEY, DON'T BE GIVING MY HARD EARNED TITLES AWAY Jim!!! :-) snuffy

Luke Hankins

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
rhon...@aol.com (Rhonda Lea) wrote:
>For a long time, there weren't a lot of women in skydiving, and although our
>ranks are growing, we're still in a minority. Is that related to economics?

Society is to blame. (Seriously, can you imagine anything much more
'unladylike' than throwing yourself out of a plane? As Americans, we
still get hefty doses of that tripe growing up.)

My current theory is that the answer to the original question is based
in the typical human reluctance to be put in a radically unfamiliar
situation. Walking for the first time onto a DZ that's full of these
weird, strange, scary adrenaline junkies is hard enough without adding
the stress that bering obviously different brings.

It's not that anyone is poorer, less fit, or more scared, it's just
that, to the average wuffo, we look like a hard club to join. Combine
that with their typical disbelief that throwing oneself out of a
Perfectly Good Airplane is a fun and relaxing activity and I'm
surprised that anyone starts jumping at all. (Ah, yes, I forgot,
we're all nuts.)

>But that hasn't inspired them to offer to buy, or me to offer to sell, my rig.

*sigh* Bright girl like that thinks that a big guy like me would fit
in her rig. Too much UseNet for you, RL. *shakes head*

-Luke, more embarrassed by being a yuppie on a DZ than by his skin
color.

SBozo

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
>From: to...@aol.com (TooyT)
>Date: 5/24/99 9:56 PM Pacific

>HEY, DON'T BE GIVING MY HARD EARNED TITLES AWAY Jim!!! :-) snuffy

Ok Snuff ..I'm sorry YOURE FULL OF SHIT TOO hahahahahahah

jim

James

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Damn Dog, you are as riddled as Snuff! Only one person calls me
Jim...(must be you;)
Send it and I will put it up next to your first jumps on the web page,
sorry I colored them old B/W pics, but it was the PC thing to
do.(picture correction) 'sides I took the wrinkles out of them :-) Who
but a friend would do that? huh? Huh?...thought so ;)

Those outhouse humor's were phunn, yep, I'm thinking so.(circa snuffy)

Did the dbl Falcon this w/e and got Moose (B# 2135) to go as high as 7 K
(he scared 'o heights), me and Dave did a round with Moose then split.
Not bad for a 70+ yr old guy that only does H&P's, he said it was the
best jump he ever did, 'course he never had to float before, he was
saying it must be a pain to hang out there while the others were
climbing out, we launched a chunk and held it ;) Lots 'o beer..heheh Ira
did his 1K jump and was greeted with chilled water balloons as he was
landing, pie came later, total surprise! Bitch he was wearing a camera
or we would have got him really good, don't like aiming low you know,
wish my aim hadda been better ;)

Manifest calls me over and wants to know why I didn't tell them I was
getting out low.
I didn't think about it I told her. She said there is a difference in
price, I said I ain't paying more to get out low...hehe, $9 jump!
Pahokee, not a bad place to jump at all :-)

Looking forward to a great Memorial day w/e, I plan on doing a jump for
those that make this day special. The rest of you should too, then I am
gonna do a bunch just for myself!

Congrads on getting back in the air Dog, been way too long!

Still"C"Learning
Jim Johnson

Rhonda Lea

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
Come hither, big boy. ;)

use...@mindspring.com

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
peanu...@aol.com (Peanut4040) wrote:

Hay Peanut.. I'm a recent convert ...grin... just dont ask for tax
free contributions for beer money :)

see ya at Mullins :)
Lisa

Peanut4040

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
>Hay Peanut.. I'm a recent convert ...grin... just dont ask for tax
>free contributions for beer money :)
>
> see ya at Mullins :)

uhmmmmm,,, FREEE BEER,, now thats an idea

Jennifer Richter

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
You're such a shit-stirer, I love it. It makes my bored days at work not so
bad. You should carry around a big giant shit stirring stick.

Jen

Peanut4040

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
laughing,, hey its tough to entertain this crowd,, (Tough Crowd) but i use
what i have to work with

,>You're such a shit-stirer, I love it. It makes my bored days at work not so

TooyT

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
>From: sb...@aol.com (SBozo)
Wrote:
***********************************
Ahhhhh thank ewe, I needed that. I wud hate it if some of the sheep on this Ng
didn't think the old three legged coyote was full of crap and actually went out
and repeat the stupid skydiving tricks I tried. If they wuzzn't so cheap and
skurd of letting on they don't know diddle they would go out to the DZ and try
to pick up tips from the JM Staff or S&TA's
My stuff only worked for me cuz I had a bunch of military training and wuz in
good shape. The average civilian who has no experiance thinking in tight
situations or working through pain art not to try it. Speaking of pain I bought
a 2 wheel Buzz cycle and slammed my head into a wall, got a pretty good sized
knot on my head but the good news is I hit the cement before my head hit the
curb and nothing broke. Pretty good considering the loss of mussel tone on my
left side. Being a cautious positive thinker I got me a bike helment and some
rollor blade protective equipment for my left side. Rollorblades are next. :-)
stopping on them artta be interesting as hell :-* snuffy sez man this buzz is
neat its like the old two wheel push skooter's ewe stand on but it's got an
electric motor and runs about 15mph. I gonna ride it to the coffee house and
impress my beatnick wuffo friends. HooYahhhhh ha ha ha yuh I in my second
childhood, never grew out of it I'm thinking :-)

Anthropological Philosopher, Master Skydiver (Ret)
Be keerfull, I having 7 jumps
2 fixed wing crashs (Air Am P)
1 Huey crash (Blackcats P)
more than 7 misjudged canopy flares :-) country satire, coon hunter, father &
old stud muffin :-(P)

Povl H. Pedersen

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
on Mon, 24 May 1999 12:28:42 -0700
USPA Skydiver <ceo_ter...@yahoo.com> transmitted:

>The reason is clear you dummies, the majority of blacks don't fall into high
>paying salaries the white enjoy. Got it? Don't have much money to enjoy
>other activities, but basketball!!

Neither does the salary of people travelling around packing.

Neither is the case with students (but they have an expected life income,
and can possible get a loan based on this).

--
Povl H. Pedersen - Skydiver
110 jumps - 1h 23m 36s freefall

EFSspanky

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
It is rare but some black men do jump. I have trained over 1300 first jump
students and 5 of them have been black men and a few more were black women. I
had a nice black man in my class last weekend. His name was Randall. After his
first jump s/l he gave me a big hug and then proceded to break down in tears. I
have never seen anything like it in my life. And to think that he was the
organizer of his group of 5 friends who came out to jump. They all said they
would be back and some even bought second jump tickets but Randall said once
was enough for him.
Spanky...... S/L I, J/M in Oklahoma.

It is loading more messages.