Helmets (newbie question)

Matthew Mucker

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
As a student skydiver, I'm in the process of gathering skydiving equipment.

I was wondering what I should look for in a helmet. Is there a difference
between a "skydiving" helmet and a motorcycle helmet? What do I need? What
do I want? What should I pay?

Thanks for the opinions.

-Matt

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of the Microsoft Corporation.

TheBaummm

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
The most criticle thing that I would look for in a "motorcycle" helmet is that
you can read your altimiter properly, land properly and be aware of your
surroundings and also that it would not hinder your equipement in any way

MMannel

Dec 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/2/98
>>>"Matthew Mucker asks "As a student skydiver, I'm in the process of gathering

skydiving equipment. I was wondering what I should look for in a helmet. <<<<<

The industry standard seems to be a helmet by Protech. Since many skydivers
change to a frap hat after a number of jumps there are used Protechs
everywhere. Just ask around or put up a note on the DZ bulletin board.
You should be able to pick up a good used one for $25. It will be lighter,
more comfortable and allow better hearing than most cycle helmets--also cooler.

WSKY9ER

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Get a factory diver. its great and if you can find a used one or even a demo
that your local drop zone might have,,,, i started that way and i still have my
factory diver after 1,ooo jumps..... go used first...

skys...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
In article <19981202182757...@ng36.aol.com>,

Mamories! Motorcycle helmets? Damn haven't seen them since I was a newbie,
and I don't even want to tell you all when that was! I remember at Deland
when I use to wear my Bell helmet and the skygods said I need to buy a protec
so I don't hurt someone in freefall if I hit them. Now we see full face hard
helmets everywhere. It's like now we don't care for the other guy just save
our own butt. I don't wear a full face helmet because I don't like the
restricted vision. Also they seem to be very hard to fit. I haven't found one
that feels good on my head, but they do make ones that reguire molded forms
and those would fit you perfectly, but then they are for you only. But I
digress. The protec is a good first helmet to buy; it is comfortable and will
provide a minimum of protection. The frap hat provides very little protection
but it keeps your ears warm in the winter and gives you a place to put the
audible altimeter. The full face helmets povides the most protection but most
do restrict your vision somewhat.

--
Bill S.
D13096; AFF/SLI-98

base...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
In article <744f4n$j...@news.dns.microsoft.com>,

"Matthew Mucker" <mmu...@cyberramp.net> wrote:
> As a student skydiver, I'm in the process of gathering skydiving equipment.
>
> I was wondering what I should look for in a helmet. Is there a difference
> between a "skydiving" helmet and a motorcycle helmet? What do I need? What
> do I want? What should I pay?

Hi Matt,

Good to talk to you on a different thread! Whew! When I first started
buying skydiving stuff, I bought a new Protec for about $40 and it has served
me well. Now that I know I am definitely going to stick with the sport, I
have ordered a new Factory Diver for about $200. I have an average size head
so this is going to work for me, but my friend has a larger head than I do
and he tried on an Oxygn helmet at the PD Free For All. He found there is
more room from temple to temple in the Oxygn where the Factory Diver squeezed
his head.

I definitely recommend trying on other people's helmets or if there is a gear
shop close to you, try them on there.

Good Luck,

Christine

Paul C. Renting

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
Most common used is a protec helmet but when you go to your local Kmart you
can get a skate helmet for a fraction the price, the skate helmet wil work
great.....(i must confess i haven't used it yet...)

BO
Paul C. Renting
ren...@xs4all.nl
KDFC#40
B-81812
Matthew Mucker heeft geschreven in bericht
<744f4n$j...@news.dns.microsoft.com>...

>As a student skydiver, I'm in the process of gathering skydiving equipment.
>
>I was wondering what I should look for in a helmet. Is there a difference
>between a "skydiving" helmet and a motorcycle helmet? What do I need? What
>do I want? What should I pay?

Lisa Briggs

Dec 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/3/98
How come no one's mentioned the "freefly" helmets? They aren't just for
freeflying... they work great for rw, student jumps, etc, and are much
cooler in the summer than the full face variety. Composite material
construction makes them stronger than the plastic Protec. IMHO of
course.

:-) Lisa
D14633

"You live and learn... or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long 1916 -
4272
Check out my website! http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Curb/5158/

FreFlyPope

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Check out
http://www.skysystemsltd.com/
\ /
\ /
__|__
/ O \
FlyFuckinFree!!!
SUPERFLY
5000G

MikeRoam

Dec 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/5/98
<<Is there a difference
between a "skydiving" helmet and a motorcycle helmet? What do I need? What
do I want? What should I pay?>>

Good idea to get a helmet--but a motorcycle
helmet may be heavier than you want, (a hard
opening can really snap your neck). I considered
a protec but wanted chin protection. (the point
is to protect yourself from elbows and feet and
knees, etc.) I considered a frap hat but heard that
they offer NO protection.
I found a used factoryDiver for about $100 (new
is twice that price) and jump it without the
visor. I just wear goggles underneath and don't
have to worry about it fogging up. (Also, I can pop
the goggles off under canopy and soak in the view.)
I'm very happy with this solution.
--Mike Roam, B-21599 http://members.aol.com/mikeroam

Fastsftail

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
> Is there a difference
>between a "skydiving" helmet and a motorcycle helmet?

a skydiving helmet is for skydiving.

a motorcycle helmet is for riding your motorcycle to go skydiving.

your welcome

Jack Cunniff

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
fasts...@aol.com (Fastsftail) writes:

Ok, maggots, now repeat after me:
"They did it differently in the old days."

Lots of us grey-haired types made our first jumps with a Bell motorcycle
helmet on. The really cool skydivers would paint theirs flat black. Not
being really cool, I recall making a camera mount out of sheet metal and
screwing it onto my blue metal-flake helmet. Learned an important lesson
about cameras back then, too - which was that the cable shutter release
was vastly more convenient to use than a bulb (pneumatic) shutter release.

But that was then, and this is now. The difference between motorcycle
helmets (now) and skydiving helmets (now) is that skydiving helmets are
very light, and somewhat thinner than a motorcycle helmet. I wouldn't want
to exit a motorcycle with a skydiving helmet. You can jump with a
motorcycle helmet, but unless you're also carrying 35 lbs of camera on
your head, you don't really need the extra mass above your neck at
opening-shock time.

Lots of things have changed since then... but you know what? I'm jumping
the same Altimaster II that I wore with my Bell helmet. :-)

Blue skies!

Jack Cunniff

--
jm...@world.std.com Proud member: DNRC
.motorcycle_stuff .skydiving_stuff

skys...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
In article <F3nDw...@world.std.com>,
jm...@world.std.com (Jack Cunniff) wrote:

> Ok, maggots, now repeat after me:
> "They did it differently in the old days."

> Lots of things have changed since then... but you know what? I'm jumping
> the same Altimaster II that I wore with my Bell helmet. :-)
>
> Blue skies!
>
> Jack Cunniff

Good one! Still using the same Altimaster II that I bought 25 years ago.
Recalibrated once. Says alot for Steve Snyder.

Blue and warm ones!

--
Bill S.
D13096; AFF/SLI-98
We are never lost, we are always directly above the center of the Earth.

CRWMike

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98

Jack Cunniff wrote:

> Lots of things have changed since then... but you know what? I'm jumping
> the same Altimaster II that I wore with my Bell helmet. :-)

The Altimaster II has staying power! I use the same one I started
skydiving with. Never needed repair and continues to do the job. I'm
curious as to how many others have has similar experiences.

Dan Bergmen

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
CRWMike (CRW...@bellsouth.net) wrote:

: Jack Cunniff wrote:

Same here. I got mine in the early 70's and it's still going strong. The only
thing I did was replace the screw-on window (once) and recently I tore it
all apart because it was sticking at around 9,500 ft on the way up. I just
blew out the mechanism with some canned air, tested it, reassembled it and
it's back to normal. I've always wanted to get an Altimaster III because they
are more compact, but now I think I'll stick with old reliable.

The only thing I got that's plder is my P.C. (heh!)

Dan Bergmen
D-20276, etc.

Keith Abner

Dec 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/10/98
Dan Bergmen wrote in message <74ml2d$r...@canyon.sr.hp.com>...

It's the IV that's the pieceoshit...

Hey Jack, it's been up in the 70's here in TN up until today!

Keith Abner
sky...@nc5.infi.net

SD Photo

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Take a look at the Para*Mount Velocity helmet. It's a great all around helmet!
See it at: www.pia.com/skydance