Fastest Freshman times in the mile and 800 meters

F R

Sep 23, 2010, 11:36:56 PM9/23/10
A friend of mine claims his son, as a 15 year old could run 100 yards in
10.0, the mile in 4:25, and 800 meters in 1:55. I have great trouble
believeing that someone would achieve these times in such disparate
distances as 100 yards and the mile.

I've been googling for over 30 minutes trying to verify the high school
records in these events, but can't find much to substantiate or disprove
such claims.

Does anyone know what the records are, or a site that might verify such
times?

Paul Rudin

Sep 24, 2010, 3:15:58 AM9/24/10
espo...@webtv.net (F R) writes:

Not sure, but 800m in 1:55 for a 15 year old is certainly possible - for
example the UK best this year for "under 17 males" is 1:50. (In the UK
track and field events are normally run in the age categories "under
13", "under 15", "under 17", "under 20" and "senior".)

<http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=800&agegroup=U17&sex=M&year=2010>

100 yards and mile are infrequently run these days (at least in the UK,
dunno about Leftpondia). This year's best for under 17 males in the UK
for 100m is 10.39, and for 1500m - 3:48. (Same website... click the
relevant links.)

It's relatively unusual for people to be performing well in both the
100m and 1500m; but obviously being good at both 800m and 1500m is
common.

totfit

Sep 24, 2010, 9:42:57 AM9/24/10

Just say okaaaaaaay. Your friend's son is not getting those times across
the board. He may be exceptional on one end or the other, but humans
aren't physically able to be exceptional at both sprint and longer
distance running. (I have never seen evidence otherwise) If this were the
actual fact, we would all know your friend's son.

John Hurley

Sep 24, 2010, 8:26:38 PM9/24/10
FR:

> A friend of mine claims his son, as a 15 year old could run 100 yards in
> 10.0, the mile in 4:25, and 800 meters in 1:55. I have great trouble
> believeing that someone would achieve these times in such disparate
> distances as 100 yards and the mile.

A fifteen year old ( boy ) running a 4:25 mile is certainly
possible ... shows some pretty serious talent but not unthinkable.

The 10 flat for 100 meters sounds pretty unlikely ... really unlikely.

Not sure about 800 meters I would think that sounds kind of unlikely.

Bart Mathias

Sep 24, 2010, 10:45:58 PM9/24/10
On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:26:38 -0700 (PDT)
John Hurley <hurle...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> FR:
>
> > A friend of mine claims his son, as a 15 year old could run 100 yards in
> > 10.0, the mile in 4:25, and 800 meters in 1:55. I have great trouble
> > believeing that someone would achieve these times in such disparate
> > distances as 100 yards and the mile.
>
> A fifteen year old ( boy ) running a 4:25 mile is certainly
> possible ... shows some pretty serious talent but not unthinkable.
>
> The 10 flat for 100 meters sounds pretty unlikely ... really unlikely.

But what if it really was the claimed yards? Maybe just unlikely, without the "really"?

--
Bart Mathias <mat...@hawaii.edu>

jobs

Sep 25, 2010, 12:51:11 AM9/25/10
On 09/24/2010 05:26 PM, John Hurley wrote:
> FR:
>
>> A friend of mine claims his son, as a 15 year old could run 100 yards in
>> 10.0, the mile in 4:25, and 800 meters in 1:55. I have great trouble
>> believeing that someone would achieve these times in such disparate
>> distances as 100 yards and the mile.
>
> A fifteen year old ( boy ) running a 4:25 mile is certainly
> possible ... shows some pretty serious talent but not unthinkable.
>
> The 10 flat for 100 meters sounds pretty unlikely ... really unlikely.

I think he said 100 yards, which is about 91.44 meters.
Assuming he can do the rest in about a second, that would give him about
11 seconds for 100 meters. It's fast if true but not impossible.
On the other hand, this is all hearsay. I once met a guy who claimed his
30 something year old daughter won a 5K in about 14 minutes. I didn't
tell him that that would make her the world record holder.

jobs

John Hurley

Sep 25, 2010, 5:41:04 AM9/25/10
Bart:

# But what if it really was the claimed yards? Maybe just unlikely,
without the "really"?

Point taken but does anyone really race 100 yards anymore? Not sure?